weight scale on cruise

Rdtyler

I have only been on 60 some different ships so cannot say for sure whether every ship on earth has a scale :).  But on most ships you will find a scale in the gym and you might also find one in the spa area although that can be for the exclusive use of those paying to use spa facilities.   If all else fails there is always a scale in the ship's Medical Center.  If you simply go to the medical center during their published open hours and ask to use their scale I suspect they would say yes.

Just a friendly warning about weight and cruises.  Many cruisers will tell you that they get swollen ankles on cruises.  It is generally accepted that lots of folks do gain some water weight because the institutional cooking done on ship makes use of a lot more salt then most use at home.  Personally I do not have much problem with water weight except on ships (and I have spent more then 1200 days on cruises) and have often found that I gain about 5 pounds on a longer cruise which disappears within 3 days after returning home (and my ankles go back to normal).  Both DW and I have tried all kinds of ideas to avoid swollen ankles on cruises and the best prevention seems to be to drink lots of water (go figure).  More water (or liquids with lots of water) apparently helps dilute the sodium in one's body and helps reduce swelling.  This does seem ridiculous that drinking more reduces water weight but, for me, it does seem to work.

Hank

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Any ship would have a scale in the medical spaces. I'd expect one in all gyms, but don't quote me on that.

I cannot recall NOT seeing a scale in the gym/fitness center of any ship I’ve sailed (HAL, NCL, Azamera, Princess, Cunard, Oceania, Royal Caribbean, Orient) but I never took a formal survey.   I also recall seeeing a scale in a couple of ships’ medical space.

2 hours ago, Rdtyler said:

I am on a very strict diet.  Is there somewhere on the ship where I can weight myself regularly?  Gym? Spa? Medical office?

Thank you.

The spa

However, be aware of  'moving ship'  accurracies.   I wait until port days to  weigh in'.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I cannot recall NOT seeing a scale in the gym/fitness center of any ship I’ve sailed (HAL, NCL, Azamera, Princess, Cunard, Oceania, Royal Caribbean, Orient) but I never took a formal survey.   I also recall seeeing a scale in a couple of ships’ medical space.

HAL frequently has a scale in their gyms.

3 hours ago, Rdtyler said:

I am on a very strict diet.  Is there somewhere on the ship where I can weight myself regularly?  Gym? Spa? Medical office?

Thank you.

I wouldn’t trust any scale on board.  Calibration must be way off just because of the sea.  

3 hours ago, spookwife said:

I wouldn’t trust any scale on board.  Calibration must be way off just because of the sea.  

Come to think of it...you have a good point.  It seems that whenever I have weighed myself on any cruise it has always shown a nasty weight increase.  It never occurred to me to blame the calibration :).   I was stupid enough to think I may have actually eaten too much or had too many darn calories.  Once I get home I guess I can assume my home scale also reads too darn high due to atrophy from lack of use.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Come to think of it...you have a good point.  It seems that whenever I have weighed myself on any cruise it has always shown a nasty weight increase.  It never occurred to me to blame the calibration :).   I was stupid enough to think I may have actually eaten too much or had too many darn calories.  Once I get home I guess I can assume my home scale also reads too darn high due to atrophy from lack of use.

Hank

I never have a problem with a scale as I have not been overweight since 1968.

This is the first time I've ever posted on a forum like this, and I really appreciate all of the feedback.  I think in the end I'll just take my own small scale, calibrate it before I go, and only use it in port!  Thank you all!

On 10/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, Rdtyler said:

Thank you.

You may also want to call Princess' Special Needs Dept. to get exact information.  

Anyone who wants to weigh himself daily is a hopeless obsessive - what possible good does it do?  Any diet consultant advises against daily checking.  You have to know it in your gut if you are eating too much - and you should realize that any weight you think you might have lost during a workout is just water weight - which you will reacquire as soon as you rehydrate.

Sorry, navybankerteacher, but you're wrong.  My diet consultant advised on weighing every day, and so far I've lost 70 pounds.  There's nothing wrong with wanting to be aware of your weight while on a cruise.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rdtyler said:

Sorry, navybankerteacher, but you're wrong.  My diet consultant advised on weighing every day, and so far I've lost 70 pounds.  There's nothing wrong with wanting to be aware of your weight while on a cruise.  

Outstanding.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Anyone who wants to weigh himself daily is a hopeless obsessive - what possible good does it do?  Any diet consultant advises against daily checking.  You have to know it in your gut if you are eating too much - and you should realize that any weight you think you might have lost during a workout is just water weight - which you will reacquire as soon as you rehydrate.

I weigh myself every day. Are you also a Psychologist ?

• Like 1