The Daily for Monday Nov 9, 2020

richwmn

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich and Roy and all who post here.  What a day - talk about chaos, for @ger_77 especially.  Hope the election works out.  Here they are still counting, but so far, just one change of final count.  

We were supposed to go down to freezing last night, so DH brought the hummingbird feeders inside to stay warm.  When he went out this morning to replace them, one was waiting for him in the rose bush, but didn't come to the feeder while he was carrying it, as they did last winter.  Maybe this is a new generation, and they have to learn who he is.  

• Like 8

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and the time you take to update it every day. Thank you for your lists Roy. RIP Alex Trebeck..... I was so saddened by the news yesterday. According to what I read Jeopardy episodes will air until December 25th. We DVR them and usually have a few days worth so we can watch on the weekends but I told DH that I just couldn’t watch any yesterday. 

I am cleaning our oven this morning (self cleaning).  I waited for a cold day because it always heats up the kitchen. Today is chilly and rainy. But nothing like Saskatoon, @ger_77 I hope you can get your front door open soon. 

The meal suggestion sounds interesting but I have planned on making soup, a corn chowder with some of my Hatch green chilies that I roasted and have in the freezer. I might add some Anaheim chilies too (from my plant).  I think I will also make grilled cheese sandwiches to go with the soup. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 8

I have my doubts that the gum arabic in gomme syrup would add much "mouth feel" to cocktails given the small amount typically used. The gum may be more to prevent sugar in the syrup from crystallizing. Any time you see gomme syrup in a recipe, you can just use simple syrup instead. 

Yesterday's "Maui Wowie" shrimp was quite good and not at all hallucinogenic despite the warning from @Happily@Sea

Speaking of Hawaii, here is the Oosterdam "anchored" off Kona -

image.thumb.png.4112adb0ddce3dabed61c0c7e97eb728.png

• Like 13

Good morning, all! Chaos never dies day - well, that certainly fits right now. Today is a baking day, so the meal choice is still up in the air. A whiskey sour sounds good for this afternoon, watching the snow forecast for us from safe indoors. @ger_77 good grief! That storm certainly left it’s mark! At least you have wine, and electricity, thank heavens. From the sounds of it, you may be better off stuck in the house until those roads get sorted out!

• Like 9

Today's sunrise is from my last completed string of cruises, QM2, Crystal Bach, Crystal Serenity, and Crystal Symphony.  On October 9, Crystal Serenity was at sea from Valencia to Malaga.

dawn1109.jpg

Roy

• Like 13

Good morning,

We brought the grandkids over for the day as they don't have school today.  Teacher's have an inservice day and I am sure they deserve every moment.  Their school is doing an awesome job with in person learning.  I admire all teachers during this time.

We have one more dry day.  Then a week of rain.  Will finish raking leaves that have fallen.    Need to do that soon so the grandaughter can us a chalk drawing on the patio!!  Anything to keep a six year old busy.

Will miss Alex Trebeck.  Will be interesting to see who replaces him.  

Great quotes....it is a soup kind of day here so that may be our dinner.  It is going to be a taco lunch with the grandkids!  Thanks for the daily report.  

Stay safe everyone.  Praying for healing and safety for all.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

I have my doubts that the gum arabic in gomme syrup would add much "mouth feel" to cocktails given the small amount typically used. The gum may be more to prevent sugar in the syrup from crystallizing. Any time you see gomme syrup in a recipe, you can just use simple syrup instead. 

Yesterday's "Maui Wowie" shrimp was quite good and not at all hallucinogenic despite the warning from @Happily@Sea

Speaking of Hawaii, here is the Oosterdam "anchored" off Kona -

image.thumb.png.4112adb0ddce3dabed61c0c7e97eb728.png

Thank you for the syrup info! I know I have simple syrup.

As a token of my gratitude, here is the pic I took of the Oosterdam “anchored” off Kona last October. Just a bit of a different perspective.

2C6055B4-B2C8-4506-B9C3-5119E9A4A7C5.jpeg

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

As a token of my gratitude, here is the pic I took of the Oosterdam “anchored” off Kona last October. Just a bit of a different perspective.

How did you take that picture?  It is beautiful!

• Like 6

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy et al....

Our province got hit hard,  one city has even closed schools which never happens,  I have seen photos of chest high snow!  We got off relatively easy other than the freezing rain under the snow. Yes that chaos quote is apropos! 

ok,  loving the Kona photos although it is bittersweet as it is our winter home that we don’t think we will be visiting this year!  Add it to the bittersweet Pacific Princess that we should have been on in Tahiti last month,  sigh!  So a few more photos!  

A368D5E5-93B3-4DF9-9B05-A76A9AC54A38.jpeg

9E23FEF7-6444-4BBB-9EB5-FBB96B0F05CC.jpeg

CB98DBFE-61E2-43B7-858F-E2EB8F26AD08.jpeg

819C30A5-DED1-4503-97F7-FC8B5EB3E067.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

We finally got our door open (with the assistance of a neighbour who dug us out), but to add insult to injury, we're now sitting at -21C with a wind.  Brrr.  The city has issued emergency warnings to stay home unless absolutely necessary - they'll get no argument from us!

I thought some of you might like to see what a bit of snow looks like; this is a view from our front window onto the neighbour's driveway.  Ours is currently being blown out, so all you can see is clouds of snow.image.jpeg.083f574fe0afe8745429dad0bc0a5e8e.jpeg

@bennybearare you in my part of the "frozen tundra"?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Oh, to be anchored off Kona! Our daughter and family live in Kona, in a 'normal' year we would have just come home from a long visit with them... 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I looked up your recipe from yesterday and it sounds quite interesting!  I am going to save it for a future meal idea. 

It is quite simple, but effective. I'll definitely be keeping it in my repertoire! 

Use any spice mix that suits your fancy and the brush on some mayo. I used "extra jumbo" (16-20 per lb) shrimp, left the tails on, and put 4 each on 10 inch bamboo skewers. I put fish spice mix from a local fancy grocery (Byerly's) on some and a Cajun spice mix on the others. I brushed each side generously with olive oil mayo and grilled at medium for 5 minutes per side. 

Next time I'll try it with Old Bay.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

Or the east side of Lake Michigan or one of the other Great Lakes...

55 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We finally got our door open (with the assistance of a neighbour who dug us out), but to add insult to injury, we're now sitting at -21C with a wind.  Brrr.  The city has issued emergency warnings to stay home unless absolutely necessary - they'll get no argument from us!

I thought some of you might like to see what a bit of snow looks like; this is a view from our front window onto the neighbour's driveway.  Ours is currently being blown out, so all you can see is clouds of snow.image.jpeg.083f574fe0afe8745429dad0bc0a5e8e.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I’m crying for you 😢 I know we are getting this very soon but this is too soon and so unfair.

Your term frozen tundra really applies now.  I’m glad you are well stocked and can stay safe at home for now.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry it looks gorgeous from where I am sitting!  Stay warm. -21C!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

it is an amazing place!

Ann, Allen flew helicopters for over 30 years. Vietnam was Cobra's and stateside was Apache's. I was able to fly with him many times when he delivered the smaller Hughes helicopters. We never flew in Hawaii though.. but we have been blessed with nearly 30 year's of vacations on Maui, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai and Oahu. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I was in a helicopter. It was magical. I never thought I would ever love it as much as I did!

Wow!!!  Absolutely beautiful!  I don’t think I could ever do that but DH has done it many times. Most notable was in Alaska with his father in 2000 (I can’t remember the ship) and St Kitts (I think that was 1999 on the Veendam).  And he may have done it in Hawaii back in 1983 when we were on vacation. I’ll have to ask him. 

I might just have to plan a Hawaii cruise instead of the New England/Canadian one I’ve been wanting to do. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ann, Allen flew helicopters for over 30 years. Vietnam was Cobra's and stateside was Apache's. I was able to fly with him many times when he delivered the smaller Hughes helicopters. We never flew in Hawaii though.. but we have been blessed with nearly 30 year's of vacations on Maui, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai and Oahu. 

I never really thought about helicopters, except my first trip to Alaska. It is an amazing experience.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

We’re  next door in Alberta,  so often pretty similar weather!  Today the sun is shining and it was quite lovely.  

but all this talk of Kona is making me sad,   It’s my standing joke how this Canadian survives winter!  Over 40 years of island holidays.  The big island is our favourite and we have a lovely view of Kona bay.  Just not this year😭

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wow!!!  Absolutely beautiful!  I don’t think I could ever do that but DH has done it many times. Most notable was in Alaska with his father in 2000 (I can’t remember the ship) and St Kitts (I think that was 1999 on the Veendam).  And he may have done it in Hawaii back in 1983 when we were on vacation. I’ll have to ask him. 

I might just have to plan a Hawaii cruise instead of the New England/Canadian one I’ve been wanting to do. 

I probably could not do an open door helicopter, but the company we used spent a good 30 minutes before we took off going over safety issues, and then making sure we were safely inside and the doors secure! Ours even had a middle seat, if you were uncomfortable about being next to the window.

And this company had been very active on the Big Island giving free rides to the USGS and residents who had been evacuated during the eruption.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Gerry it looks gorgeous from where I am sitting!  Stay warm. -21C!

It always look pretty from afar or even out a window if you don’t have to clean it up 😉 It’s a mess when you have to deal it’s it 😉 

I don’t think you have felt -21 C. (Which is way, way below freezing in Fahrenheit) Personally we’d take your weather over ours.  Any day.

But we live where we do and it is as it is.  

• Like 2