90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

40 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Choice of providers could also be CVS or Walgreens. In Florida, Publix pharmacy administers flu vaccine. Publix may also be a provider for the Covid vaccine.

Let's face it, the cruising community in general are those who will have priority access to the vaccines.  I hope provision will be made to equally supply the less fortunate folks who don't have the same access we have and who have suffered much more in the way of hospitalizations and death from the pandemic. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Let's face it, the cruising community in general are those who will have priority access to the vaccines.  I hope provision will be made to equally supply the less fortunate folks who don't have the same access we have and who have suffered much more in the way of hospitalizations and death from the pandemic. 

I'm looking for a wink eye or some kind of emoticom for this post. You can't be serious in saying the cruising community are those who will have priority access to the vaccine. 

36 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'm looking for a wink eye or some kind of emoticom for this post. You can't be serious in saying the cruising community are those who will have priority access to the vaccine. 

Yes, I am saying that.  In general, the cruising community is made up of upper income, somewhat privileged folk living in communities with access to good medical facilities and health care.  On the other hand, COVID has hit hardest low income communities with limited medical care.  These folks are not cruisers for obvious reasons.  They have little political clout and, unless changes come in January, will be last in line for precious vaccinations which will come out in drips and drabs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yogimax said:

Yes, I am saying that.  In general, the cruising community is made up of upper income, somewhat privileged folk living in communities with access to good medical facilities and health care.  On the other hand, COVID has hit hardest low income communities with limited medical care.  These folks are not cruisers for obvious reasons.  They have little political clout and, unless changes come in January, will be last in line for precious vaccinations which will come out in drips and drabs.

All of the distribution plans I have seen (at least n my part of the country)  have the underserved communities near the top of the distribution tree; right after front line workers and the infirm.  Rates of positivity will be a big player in determination of who gets what and when. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

All of the distribution plans I have seen (at least n my part of the country)  have the underserved communities near the top of the distribution tree; right after front line workers and the infirm.  Rates of positivity will be a big player in determination of who gets what and when. 

Glad to hear that.  Now let's hope it is implemented.

13 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Choice of providers could also be CVS or Walgreens. In Florida, Publix pharmacy administers flu vaccine. Publix may also be a provider for the Covid vaccine.

I get my regular flu vaccines every year at Publix.  They have a very good system and allow you to register online.  When you get there, there is no paperwork to fill out, just get the free shot and a $10 gift card to boot.  I would be happy if Publix would carry the CV-19 vaccine. 

Is there anyone here going to wait a bit before taking the vaccine?   I'm not anti vaccine at all.  But I'm not sure I want to be one of the first.

This morning the news was warning people of possible side effects (yes only possible) and perhaps people need to be able to take the next day off from work due to them.  And they were afraid people wouldn't return for the second one.

12 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Is there anyone here going to wait a bit before taking the vaccine?   I'm not anti vaccine at all.  But I'm not sure I want to be one of the first.

This morning the news was warning people of possible side effects (yes only possible) and perhaps people need to be able to take the next day off from work due to them.  And they were afraid people wouldn't return for the second one.

I'm not going to first in line for the vaccine and will wait until I see how it goes for others. Here's a link to the article you referenced. 

Side Effects from Covid-19 Vaccine

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'm not going to first in line for the vaccine and will wait until I see how it goes for others. 

Here's the problem for all of us... while we are waiting we could come down with the virus.  Isn't that more of a risk than taking the vaccine?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Here's the problem for all of us... while we are waiting we could come down with the virus.  Isn't that more of a risk than taking the vaccine?

That’s how I see it, though in my case, I’ll be in the last group and not by choice, since I don’t fall in the categories of people who have priority. 

35 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That’s how I see it, though in my case, I’ll be in the last group and not by choice, since I don’t fall in the categories of people who have priority. 

I think distribution of the vaccine will happen much faster than many people anticipate.  The distribution network is already in place.  All you need is a motivated population.  After day 300 of 15 days to flatten the curve that motivation will be extremely high.  

Just now, Tree_skier said:

I think distribution of the vaccine will happen much faster than many people anticipate.  The distribution network is already in place.  All you need is a motivated population.  After day 300 of 15 days to flatten the curve that motivation will be extremely high.  

Hopefully, the last group will be called before the summer.  

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

What if the vaccine turns out to help cause cancer?

What if the vaccine turns out to make some people sterile?

There is no way anyone can KNOW the long term effects of these vaccines.  There hasn't been enough time yet.  Yes, doctors can say "it SHOULDN'T cause x, y, and z", but how many SCIENTISTS were ok with smoking in the 50s and 60s?  

And if you've watched any cable channels, I'm sure you've seen the "If you've taken (or worked around) <insert chemical here> and have since been diagnosed with <insert disease here>, please call... " Do you think the people that developed those chemicals thought they were safe?

I'm not "anti-vaccine", but I will be waiting to see how other people do with it. 

I went for my annual physical yesterday and the doctor was talking to me about the shingles vaccine (I turned 50 this year).  I asked her about it and she said she recommends the new version, the old version?  "Not so much".   I wonder if the scientists who developed the old version thought it was safe. 

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I wonder if the scientists who developed the old version thought it was safe. 

Not a question of safety. The new shingles vaccine is much more effective.

i understand your point about long term effects. Even agree somewhat. The difficulty is how long must one wait to insure safety, one year, three years, a decade? When can one be sure there are no nasty side effects still hiding? 

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

Not a question of safety. The new shingles vaccine is much more effective.

i understand your point about long term effects. Even agree somewhat. The difficulty is how long must one wait to insure safety, one year, three years, a decade? When can one be sure there are no nasty side effects still hiding? 

That's a darn good question (how long to wait).  And one I don't have an answer for.  The analogy I use is air travel.  Despite it being safer to use than driving, many people still are not comfortable getting on a plane, and many refuse to do so.  BUT, you don't see people criticizing them for their decisions like you do people criticizing those who want to at least wait before taking a brand new vaccine (not saying you're doing that). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Despite it being safer to use than driving, many people still are not comfortable getting on a plane, and many refuse to do so.  BUT, you don't see people criticizing them for their decisions like you do people criticizing those who want to at least wait before taking a brand new vaccine (not saying you're doing that). 

Here's the difference.  If you are I choose not to fly, that has absolutely no impact on anyone else.

If, however, millions refuse to take the vaccine that will impact the ultimate effectiveness of a vaccination program which needs the vast majority to comply.  

5 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Here's the difference.  If you are I choose not to fly, that has absolutely no impact on anyone else.

If, however, millions refuse to take the vaccine that will impact the ultimate effectiveness of a vaccination program which needs the vast majority to comply.  

But if you have the vaccine, why does it matter if everyone else forgoes it? 🤔 After all, the vaccine will keep you from getting the virus, right?

6 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Hardly unusual symptoms.  I got the Shringrix shots last year and it made me, tired, achy, chills and feverish, but I went back for the second one which did the same.  First one I worked 1/2 day and went home and the second I stayed home the day after.  Worth it as to never have the shingles.  Most people I know had the same reaction to at least one of the shots.  People need to put on their big girl or boy panties and deal.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

What if the vaccine turns out to help cause cancer?

What if the vaccine turns out to make some people sterile?

There is no way anyone can KNOW the long term effects of these vaccines.  There hasn't been enough time yet.  Yes, doctors can say "it SHOULDN'T cause x, y, and z", but how many SCIENTISTS were ok with smoking in the 50s and 60s?  

And if you've watched any cable channels, I'm sure you've seen the "If you've taken (or worked around) <insert chemical here> and have since been diagnosed with <insert disease here>, please call... " Do you think the people that developed those chemicals thought they were safe?

I'm not "anti-vaccine", but I will be waiting to see how other people do with it. 

I went for my annual physical yesterday and the doctor was talking to me about the shingles vaccine (I turned 50 this year).  I asked her about it and she said she recommends the new version, the old version?  "Not so much".   I wonder if the scientists who developed the old version thought it was safe. 

The old version of the shingles shot was safe.  It just wasn't as effective as the new one.  Where'd you get the idea it was about safety?

Ad your "what if's"?  What if you step out in front of a bus?  What if bullet comes through your window and hits you?  What if, what if, what if? 

Edited by BND

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But if you have the vaccine, why does it matter if everyone else forgoes it? 🤔 After all, the vaccine will keep you from getting the virus, right?

That's  pretty selfish.  The whole purpose of vaccines is to prevent the spread and to protect those that can't otherwise be protected.  People who can't take the vaccine, who are usually more at risk from disease.  Medically fragile babies and children, people with immunity issues, etc.

9 minutes ago, BND said:

That's  pretty selfish.  The whole purpose of vaccines is to prevent the spread and to protect those that can't otherwise be protected.  People who can't take the vaccine, who are usually more at risk from disease.  Medically fragile babies and children, people with immunity issues, etc.

So you believe the vaccines will get the covid case counts to actual zero?  I doubt it.  So those who can't take the vaccine will STILL need to take precautions.   If nothing else, because there will be people who can't take the vaccine.  So you're presenting a circular argument... there will be people who can't take the vaccine, so they need to be protected from those who don't take the vaccine.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BND said:

The old version of the shingles shot was safe.  It just wasn't as effective as the new one.  Where'd you get the idea it was about safety?

Ad your "what if's"?  What if you step out in front of a bus?  What if bullet comes through your window and hits you?  What if, what if, what if? 

So you're fine with the vaccine if you find out in 10-20 years it causes cancer?  Or makes you (or your kids) sterile?  I can take precautions so I don't get hit by a bus.  If I take the vaccine, that's it, there's no precautions over long term side effects.  That worries me.  It may not worry you, and that's fine.  I'd never try to dissuade someone from getting a vaccine.  

• Like 2