River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

18 minutes ago, Daisi said:

You don't need to quarantine however if the CBA decides that something doesn't look right, you may have to.  Just like Canadians crossing to the US, border guards are a law upon themselves.  You do need the quarantine plan and hopefully wouldn't need it, but it is a requirement to get in. 

ArriveCAN should be easily found in Play or Apple stores, which ever device you use.  If you don't have one, you can pre-file, but would need to do so on the Government website.

Hopefully by the time Sept rolls around, quarantine plans won't be required...hard for visitors from Europe etc to file one when they don't have people here to help.

Also hoping that by September more airports are participating,  we are flying BOS--Toronto--Calgary.  Neither of those two Canadian airports are on the list.

45 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Is the testing a government requirement for interstate travel or are you doing it for your peace of mind?

Oops, sorry that did not come out clearly. For staying overnight in a hotel you need a negative test. "Leaving my state" was referring to the short distance I need to travel compared to other people and the fact that I am not sure if the rule on testing differs slightly from Rhineland-Palatinate to Bavaria. It is something I will find out from the hotel, easy really. But I find it an effort, I am not in a frame of mind to travel yet, but on the other hand I really want to go away, I am getting cabin fever.

notamermaid

19 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Also hoping that by September more airports are participating,  we are flying BOS--Toronto--Calgary.  Neither of those two Canadian airports are on the list.

I believe they are 2 of the airports we now have open to allow travellers in, that's why they aren't mentioned.  They only allowed travellers into 4 airports.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

I believe they are 2 of the airports we now have open to allow travellers in, that's why they aren't mentioned.  They only allowed travellers into 4 airports.

You mention that hopefully the quarantine plan requirement will be dropped by September.  I am just as concerned bout the negative PCR test within 3 days of flying.  That's cutting it pretty close.  I'm already imagining nightmares where I'm sitting at the airport waiting for our COVID result to come in so I can enter the country.....

That is something I'm not sure will be dropped for a while.  It's before boarding, so hopefully it won't be to hard to get, although read carefully and make sure you have the correct type - they turn away Canadians or make them quarantine in the hotel if they have the wrong ones.   Here is another article with maybe more info.  Of course, we are still waiting for the US border to open for us, there is going to be a major uproar here if it doesn't happen at or around the same time.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-will-let-fully-vaccinated-american-travellers-into-country-on-aug-9-others-on-sept-7-1.5514869

Edited by Daisi

9 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Oops, sorry that did not come out clearly. For staying overnight in a hotel you need a negative test. "Leaving my state" was referring to the short distance I need to travel compared to other people and the fact that I am not sure if the rule on testing differs slightly from Rhineland-Palatinate to Bavaria. It is something I will find out from the hotel, easy really. But I find it an effort, I am not in a frame of mind to travel yet, but on the other hand I really want to go away, I am getting cabin fever.

notamermaid

So the testing is a requirement to stay in a hotel. Interesting. 
We have had a couple hotel stays in other states since things opened up here without that being required.

Is travel that involves a stay with family and/or friends OK? 

5 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

So the testing is a requirement to stay in a hotel. Interesting. 
We have had a couple hotel stays in other states since things opened up here without that being required.

Is travel that involves a stay with family and/or friends OK? 

Yes, you can mix households. But there is a limit on gatherings which most people would not exceed in family gatherings in private homes as it is quite liberal now, small children are not counted. I do not remember the figure stated in the latest regulations. Many people would go out and buy a rapid testing kit to put their mind at ease before visiting. They only cost about 5 euros. Or go to a testing centre where you can get a free test (paid by general health insurance scheme) or for travel a PCR test. Not sure if all centres provide those.

I have been invited to a family gathering but it is in a restaurant. That means it is well regulated and with contact tracing. Still, I am nervous.

It is all weird. A couple of days ago I saw a good example. There were these two small groups of people, obviously knowing each other. One woman strolled over to a woman of the other group, greeted her from a good distance, than with eye contact agreed on the extend arm with elbow greeting, then laughed and awkwardly agreed on a hug being okay.

Many people are still so careful and you need to respect that. I am never fully at ease with people these days apart from my extended household. Fortunately it is automatic for most people to respect physical distancing and I have no problem with asking someone to add distance. 

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Well, if I can't go to Neckarsulm...

Yesterday I had a look at a gorgeous RS5 sportback.

20210719_183125.thumb.jpg.0beb555b967d80e1dc7ac75330e9295f.jpg

We have a few numbers to discuss but I think it may be coming home with us later in the week. I will miss my S6 and the memories of driving over 200 kph on the Autobahn, but that was almost 6 years ago. Time to trade it in?

• Like 4

That is a nice blue for dashing down the highway. :classic_smile: Has it been six years already? Wow.

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Time to trade it in?

If you are asking a serious question, hmm, not sure. I get the vibe that you are ready and not ready. Difficult decision.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. How strange as Bath already has World Heritage Status. I can assure you it is going down hill rapidly it’s so sad a beautiful city not being looked after. We live about 15 to 20 minutes away on a good day. Good shopping but the locals don’t tend to go into town in the summer or at Christmas I’m whispering now, to many tourists. The water tastes absolutely awful but afternoon tea in the pump room is not to be missed.

Edited by Canal archive

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Well, if I can't go to Neckarsulm...

Yesterday I had a look at a gorgeous RS5 sportback.

20210719_183125.thumb.jpg.0beb555b967d80e1dc7ac75330e9295f.jpg

We have a few numbers to discuss but I think it may be coming home with us later in the week. I will miss my S6 and the memories of driving over 200 kph on the Autobahn, but that was almost 6 years ago. Time to trade it in?

I think you deserve this! I hope it works out!

The only thing to hold out for would be picking it up in Europe. How things are going - it could be a long time.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That is a nice blue for dashing down the highway. :classic_smile: Has it been six years already? Wow.

If you are asking a serious question, hmm, not sure. I get the vibe that you are ready and not ready. Difficult decision.

notamermaid

Yes, it is with mixed feelings that I will trade in my S6. Here is a photo of her from September 2015, on the Chemin de Mont between Chexbres and Saint-Saphorin, high above Lake Geneva. The hills are full of grapevines and the views were just magnificent.

20150911_120903.thumb.jpg.acae89044a74a8b7c19441ec59075ba7.jpg

And yes, I drove down that road shortly after the picture was taken! I may have held my breath the whole way, hoping that we didn't meet any uphill traffic.

32 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think you deserve this! I hope it works out!

The only thing to hold out for would be picking it up in Europe. How things are going - it could be a long time.

We worked out a deal and I'll pick it up on Thursday! Very excited. We parked Chris's RS5 next to it at the dealer today to compare and contrast, and make sure that they were different enough. They are.

We dearly wanted to do another European delivery but it's not in the cards any time soon. Audi suspended the program and as you suspect, they are not sure that it will come back any time soon. The two European delivery trips that we've done were such fun.

Edited by jpalbny

Agree about the photo. Have you ever thought of doing one of these ads for car companies? I am convinced I saw an advertising spot from a company where the car was in such a location and drove along such a road. Perfect! 

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is hot. Our temperatures are up again as well. Today I have had delivery of a fancy cooling machine. No idea what it is called in English, but no doubt it will have instructions in English with it as well. So hopefully from tomorrow I shall feel more comfortable while cooking in the kitchen at 28 Celsius. It is a movable unit, like a tower fan but more sophisticated.

notamermaid

No, not Dyson. They do some fancy stuff I must say. One of the current industrial innovation and design companies in my opinion. I have not opened the box yet, but the back says "air cooler" in English. That is nice short English as we know it but I am bit disappointed, this thing looks as if it should have a fancier name. Price was decent, but still over 100 euros, so this better cool me down properly!

notamermaid

Aha, perhaps ein Zirkulierenluftundmachtkühlmaschine. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
Sorry, just couldn’t help myself. On one of our river cruises there was a prize for the person that turned in a photo of the longest word . . . we subtitled the game, “why Germans don’t play Scrabble.”

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

So we got a twin sister for Chris's RS5 today!

20210722_135738.thumb.jpg.0288cf1634fd8b9953a6120dc10c1015.jpg

It was sad to let my S6 go but this car was too good to pass up. 

Hi JP....beautiful set of wheels! You buy new cars.......I just booked another cruise for next month!

Going to Alaska on MUSE😃

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP....beautiful set of wheels! You buy new cars.......I just booked another cruise for next month!

Going to Alaska on MUSE😃

That's great! 

This car is slightly used. Only 4700 miles and less than a year old. So it was a super deal.

21 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

So we got a twin sister for Chris's RS5 today!

20210722_135738.thumb.jpg.0288cf1634fd8b9953a6120dc10c1015.jpg

It was sad to let my S6 go but this car was too good to pass up. 

Love the color! It does look like a racing car! Now watch those speed limits!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

That's great! 

This car is slightly used. Only 4700 miles and less than a year old. So it was a super deal.

Certified Pre-Owned are the best deals!  My family has had three, and all turned out very well.  My son's Subaru WRX came with a typical unbelievable used-car salesman story:  previous owner had it for 6 months, but his dog didn't like the back seat so he traded it in on an SUV.  [Yeah, right.  OK, car looked good so we bought anyway.]  A few years later my son was hired by our local police force and one of his new workmates said 'That car looks familar.  I had to trade it after 6 months because my dog didn't like the back seat.'  You can't make this up!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1