River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I see you're up posting this morning, so hope all is OK. 

No power, but otherwise doing okay. It looks like we were in the eye most of the night, so it was relatively calm. Our apartment is only 2 years old, and held up well.

Robin

• Like 5

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

No power, but otherwise doing okay. It looks like we were in the eye most of the night, so it was relatively calm. Our apartment is only 2 years old, and held up well.

Robin

Thanks for checking in! Thinking of all of our Floridian friends!

• Like 1

Ft Meyers and Naples got hit VERY, VERY hard...........from what many of the long timer's have said, this is the worst storm they have ever seen............I can believe it.  The flooding looks catastrophic...........

And now Ian is crossing the state and Orlando is getting LOTS of rain............once he crosses and goes into the Atlantic waters he is probably going to strengthen again and go up the coast to South Carolina......wishing everyone in his path all the best. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

Robin

Hi Robin, glad you are both ok!!!!

• Thanks 1

Good to read you are all okay. Have not seen footage of the damage elsewhere. That will be part of my evening news. So the storm is not letting go of the coastal areas and a bit inland yet. Certainly worrying.

Thankfully we have not had storms this autumn so far but they will come. Hurricane force does not happen often. Touch wood, etc.

notamermaid

My 2nd parents used to spend winters in Naples, I hope all their friends are OK.

We just went through my family getting hit with Fiona, fortunately, although some cottages & barns were  destroyed, animals made it ok and they are now getting power back, and hopefully will get roads open again soon.

I hope all in Fla (and those who will be in it's path) get their power back soon as well. 

• Like 3

Hope you are doing okay over there. Wondering how my friend in North Carolina is.

Slightly unfortunately my computer screen has power outages on and off. I have tried to install an alternative screen in the system but it is not working. So I am using someone else's computer.

If I do not post this weekend it means that I am working and could not get my screen repaired. Just in case someone is wondering.

We have had a pleasant early autumn day with a nice sunset. So no weather problems and electricity and heating have not been turned off (yet). Call me pessimistic but not much would surprise me these days...

Talking of electricity. I have read that the Eiffel Tower will not be displaying lights late in the evening? Wonder if that is correct.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We’ve spent many happy days and weeks in Florida the Teddy Bear Museum in Naples went a few years ago but I especially send my best wishes to the guys in Key West who complimented my DH on his moustache it’s really white and once on the boardwalk exclaimed ‘cool moustache’ for an Englishman in the US he considered it somewhat of an accolade.

Keep well we want to come back.

• Like 1

Good morning from soggy, but lucky Charlotte, North Carolina.  @notamermaid, I think your friend is close to us, and we were barely on the edge of the more dangerous parts of Ian.  We had about 4 hours of heavy rain and wind late yesterday afternoon and some areas lost power.  I’m watching news reports this morning and they are reporting that we had just under 4 inches of rain.  Our power flickered and the neighborhood streets have lots of debris but nothing serious.  Hopefully your friend is ok too.

The reports coming out of Florida are heartbreaking, and we know we are very fortunate.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, TheKingD said:

Good morning from soggy, but lucky Charlotte, North Carolina.  @notamermaid, I think your friend is close to us, and we were barely on the edge of the more dangerous parts of Ian.

Yes, North Carolina did better than I had feared. Thanks for reporting. My friend has reported no damage and is fine.

I have found a shop that may be able to fix my screen. Will hopefully find out this afternoon.

notamermaid

• Like 3

Ian's remnants are headed up our way, so we did our lock visit a bit early in case we lose all the leaves. Here's a couple of pictures for you guys.  They are all taken from the Rideau Canal, which we live along. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rideau_Canal

DSC04146.JPG

DSC04182.JPG

DSC04260.JPG

DSC04264.JPG

DSC04277.JPG

DSC04295.JPG

DSC04305.JPG

DSC04324.JPG

DSC04326.JPG

DSC04334.JPG

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Daisi thank you so much it’s lovely to see another canal,  I’ve been trying to find a particular picture I have in our archive of Dundas Aqueduct on the Kennet & Avon Canal and although it has a crane rather than the wheel thingy and chains it could be the same area. We don’t usually get the super foliage but we do have it slightly this year because of the weather conditions earlier.

16 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Daisi thank you so much it’s lovely to see another canal,  I’ve been trying to find a particular picture I have in our archive of Dundas Aqueduct on the Kennet & Avon Canal and although it has a crane rather than the wheel thingy and chains it could be the same area. We don’t usually get the super foliage but we do have it slightly this year because of the weather conditions earlier.

The Rideau has kept the original openings as far as I know, some of the stones have been replaced that form the locks, and obviously the doors. They are all built to original standards. In the winter, the city of Ottawa (which has about 8km of the canal running through it) floods and clears the ice for a skating rink. The longest flight is also in Ottawa, it joins the Rideau to the Ottawa river. Jones Falls (the one we go to most), which is the picture of the 2 locks with a flag actually consists of 4 flights that rise almost 18 metres, and the Narrows lock is about the smallest increase of just over 1 metre. We love to grab a lunch and take a day to watch the boats go through, either on the Rideau, or the Seaway where the ocean ships pass.

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Daisi, beautiful photos!😀

Thanks. We are very lucky to live in this area, and we love the changing seasons.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

Lol... we've been to Dows, and when I was a kid, I skated the whole thing, but we've never made it to the final flight. You'll have to come up in the spring sometime, they have masses of tulips planted all along Dows & further down thanks to the Netherlands. 

What lovely colours along the Canal! The acers in town(s) are now changing nicely to orange and reddish brown with green mixed in. Not as beautiful as your scenery in Canada but very pleasing. I enjoy it, also collecting some horse chestnuts from a park. I will use these for a display in my hallway. Have also put some leaves in my office. Lifts my mood at work (have got some problems with the personnel department).

Things not looking too bright with me and my neigbourhood. Not wanting to add insult to injury, but on top of that my computer screen needs a spare part so getting this sorted will take at least till Monday. Smartphone also not working as it should. So I am still on "Could I briefly use your computer?" mode with a very obliging dear person. But time is limited and I need to get things done. Busy at work with autumn events.

So I will see you when I see you.

Enjoy the sunshine and colours wherever you are.

notamermaid