14 day cruises out of NYC....will they ever return?

Red-Sol

9 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Living in upstate NY we became fans of NCL because they have been running cruises from NYC longer than 7 days.  I really hope they stay flexible on ship scheduling for 2022 or even late 2021 to bring them back to NYC.  But we may have to wait a while and I have started planning to fly when it's safe to travel. 

During Covid I am hearing that people will not be allowed to book B2B.  Be careful.

I think that Transatlantic cruises during Covid will have to come in to a non-US port such as St. Maarten, then travel to Florida to start their season here.  I doubt the US is going to allow then to arrive after 10 days travel.  More likely:  There won't be passenger transatlantic cruises as the ships return to the US. They will use those as training time.

I feel the same.....At this point I still won't actually book anything no matter how far out or what the itinerary is. I still look and wonder at what possibilities there are but I hold off on making an actual booking. Once things can actually start up again whatever rules and protocols must be in place will eventually determine which ships can sail, for what duration, from which ports, on what timeframes, etc. and only then can schedules and Itineraries possibly hold firm. 

3 minutes ago, VineyardsGal said:

We were on the Bliss this year too.  We got on board the day you left.  We knew about the virus but didn't know how serious it would become.  We brought masks just in case but never used them.  At the buffet NCL crew served you.  Major cleaning on all touching points.  Major washy washy in sinks and sprays.  They did a good job keeping us safe.

They started some of those protocols the last few days of our cruise but never said why. All they would say was that it was "An abundance of caution" but not of what. We assumed that it might have been possibly due to Noro..but didn't know. We were on an Escape cruise which had a Noro outbreak and those protocols were used nearly the entire time. I am not complaining as the Men and Women of the crew were working to the point of exhaustion to keep us safe and we always felt that we were safe. I could never possibly thank them enough for what they did.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

I feel the same.....At this point I still won't actually book anything no matter how far out or what the itinerary is. I still look and wonder at what possibilities there are but I hold off on making an actual booking. Once things can actually start up again whatever rules and protocols must be in place will eventually determine which ships can sail, for what duration, from which ports, on what timeframes, etc. and only then can schedules and Itineraries possibly hold firm. 

At this point, keeping in mind it's thru my crystal ball, I'm not optimistic at all about cruising in 2021 and less optimistic about cruising from NYC in 2021.

With that being said...I have a 4/2021 booked, which I expect to be canceled (or I'll cancel it) and I plan to book a 10/21.  However, I'm just using  cruisenext certificates.  I don't want to get involved with "more cash down" or a large FCC.

I can wait until "my cruise" will be what I want a cruise to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I found a real thorough preview of the MSC World Europa, if you have a few minutes to look at it (video is 22 min long). The video does a real good job of comparing the MSC World Europa to Allure of the Seas, Scarlett Lady & Mardi Gras. Also giving the pros & cons of the MSC World Europa.

Thanks.

There were a few errors and some missing data but given the lack of info coming from MSC, I understand. Even for a new ship like MSC Seashore (already taking bookings), MSC doesn't have all of the information available thanks to MSC's secretive nature. Renderings change so it is difficult to fully assess what will be when there is no real info.

NCL kept some secrets from us such as the size and location of VIBE but by the time Encore floated out, we (Freestyle Novice) had most of the information. Seashore guests like me still don't even have complete deck plans for the ship and Seashore floated out months ago (still much work to do). MSC did the same thing with Seaside. The ship builder employees gave more information via social media than MSC gave. They posted pictures online before MSC gave information. Hopefully, more World Class/World Europa info will come in soon. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

They started some of those protocols the last few days of our cruise but never said why. All they would say was that it was "An abundance of caution" but not of what. We assumed that it might have been possibly due to Noro..but didn't know. We were on an Escape cruise which had a Noro outbreak and those protocols were used nearly the entire time. I am not complaining as the Men and Women of the crew were working to the point of exhaustion to keep us safe and we always felt that we were safe. I could never possibly thank them enough for what they did.

Was on the Breakaway at the same time.  It was a ten day cruise...people had all sorts of reasons why they were serving the food at the buffet.   My favorite was "they are running out of food" lol.   Boy did we have no idea....

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 1:01 PM, Red-Sol said:

Just wondering what people think the future might hold for any 14 day cruises out of NYC. We love cruising from anywhere we don't need to fly to...and also love the 14 day itineraries (especially winter cruises out NYC) I know there aren't any scheduled now...but hope they will be back once things finally settle down. Anyone have thoughts that this will or won't happen?

Hopefully fall/winter 2021-2022. But like I've said before I think cruise lines sailing out of the US will make having the vaccine mandatory.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jethrojam said:

Was on the Breakaway at the same time.  It was a ten day cruise...people had all sorts of reasons why they were serving the food at the buffet.   My favorite was "they are running out of food" lol.   Boy did we have no idea....

I know it creates a lot more work for the crew when something like this happens....but speaking only for myself.... I sort of like being served at the buffet.  But then again I have many more weird little quirks like that as well! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Hopefully fall/winter 2021-2022. But like I've said before I think cruise lines sailing out of the US will make having the vaccine mandatory.

I agree that the cruise lines will probably make having taken a vaccine mandatory. (Rightfully so IMHO) It will be the only way they can mitigate their own risk. While there might be a few cruises able to start up before there is widespread availability of the vaccine in the U.S....once there is widespread availability it will end up being...take the shot or else take a hike with wanting to cruise.

• Like 2

We have a 2 week trip on the Breakaway from NYC to New Orleans booked in 11/2021. I'm a physician and at this point I think I'll feel pretty comfortable nearly a year out from the start of vaccinations. I wouldn't  be surprised if the itinerary had a couple of small changes closer to sail date (depending on how things look at each place we are visiting). Fortunately NCL will let us cancel up to 48 hours before the trip (for a credit) if any issues arise. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, innominata8 said:

We have a 2 week trip on the Breakaway from NYC to New Orleans booked in 11/2021. I'm a physician and at this point I think I'll feel pretty comfortable nearly a year out from the start of vaccinations. I wouldn't  be surprised if the itinerary had a couple of small changes closer to sail date (depending on how things look at each place we are visiting). Fortunately NCL will let us cancel up to 48 hours before the trip (for a credit) if any issues arise. 

Thanks for that!

Actually I had forgotten about that 14 day cruise on Breakaway next November. I love the Itinerary of that EXCEPT for boarding in NYC and ending in New Orleans...it makes travel to and from very complicated. I will still keep it mind though as it happens to fall on my wife's birthday and it certainly would be a memorable cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Its not 14 days and its not out of NYC but my wife and I booked a 12 day on Oceania February 2022 out of Miami 

After-all my friend they can't keep us away from cruising after we have seen Paree! 😂

Ir6mUiYvCyzQCIMvf_xklZh09VD6UmJYnF1AgvxX

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

We have a 2 week trip on the Breakaway from NYC to New Orleans booked in 11/2021.

3 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Actually I had forgotten about that 14 day cruise on Breakaway next November. I love the Itinerary of that EXCEPT for boarding in NYC and ending in New Orleans.

I didn't think a foreign flag passenger vessel could embark passengers from one U.S. port (NYC) and disembark them in another U.S. port (NOLA)?

Unless, this trip is broken up in to 2 separate cruises (voyages); NYC to Bermuda, then Bermuda to NOLA? Just wondering how or if  the PVSA applies...

12 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I didn't think a foreign flag passenger vessel could embark passengers from one U.S. port (NYC) and disembark them in another U.S. port (NOLA)?

Unless, this trip is broken up in to 2 separate cruises (voyages); NYC to Bermuda, then Bermuda to NOLA? Just wondering how or if  the PVSA applies...

I believe the ship calls at Aruba and Curacao, both are ‘distant foreign ports’ so PVSA is satisfied.

32 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

As far as the PVSA is concerned, CBP does not care how the cruises are advertised, or marketed, or sold, or the time between purchasing of the two segments.  CBP looks at where the passenger embarked, and where the passenger "permanently disembarked" to see if there is a PVSA violation.

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I believe the ship calls at Aruba and Curacao, both are ‘distant foreign ports’ so PVSA is satisfied.

Yes, lots of repo cruises from the US East Coast to the Gulf Coast call on the "ABC islands" (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao), as these ports are considered part of South America, and therefore qualify as "distant" foreign ports, allowing an "open jaw" (different US embarkation and debarkation ports) US cruise.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, d9704011 said:

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As far as the PVSA is concerned, CBP does not care how the cruises are advertised, or marketed, or sold, or the time between purchasing of the two segments.  CBP looks at where the passenger embarked, and where the passenger "permanently disembarked" to see if there is a PVSA violation

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, lots of repo cruises from the US East Coast to the Gulf Coast call on the "ABC islands" (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao), as these ports are considered part of South America, and therefore qualify as "distant" foreign ports, allowing an "open jaw" (different US embarkation and debarkation ports) US cruise.

Thanks guys for the explanation/clarification. I guess I knew a foreign port would have to be involved to meet the PVSA, that's why I mentioned Bermuda, but I guess Bermuda is not a "distant" enough foreign port.

20 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Eventually they will all return.  We need to just stop listening to the way over hypod hoax and fear mongering from politicians.

Your comment is both misleading and disappointing. Sadly, what you call "fear mongering" is something that people on the front lines are dealing with every single day they leave their homes (and often putting themselves and their families at great risk in doing so). No one is enjoying the pandemic nor how much it has disrupted our lives. If people want life (and for that matter cruising) to return to normal we all need to look out for not only ourselves but each other by being smart about our actions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks guys for the explanation/clarification. I guess I knew a foreign port would have to be involved to meet the PVSA, that's why I mentioned Bermuda, but I guess Bermuda is not a "distant" enough foreign port.

"Distant" foreign ports, as defined by the PVSA are any port not in North or Central America, the Caribbean, Bahamas, or Bermuda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put down a refundable deposit on the RCI Anthem 12 nighter 12/12/21 RT out of NJ.  They are offering double the loyalty points for all cruises booked by 1/31/21, sailing by 3/31/22.   Prices have jumped $400 for a cabin for two,  looking to book the early 2022 11 nighter as a backup.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:36 AM, innominata8 said:

I did a similar itinerary in 2016 - Boston to New Orleans. Being from the northeast, we stayed in a sleep and sail in Boston and drove there first, then caught the free hotel shuttle to port. Our car stayed put for the two weeks. Then we did a late flight out of New Orleans so we could spend the day enjoying the city after our cruise. There's a company at Port of New Orleans that will hold luggage for you and meet back up with you at the airport, and this worked well. Then back to the hotel in Boston where we stayed the night. It was a lot of logistics for sure, but so great to leave the cold of the northeast without having to sail back up to it again. That's always the biggest downfall of cruising in cold weather. Good luck in your planning!

• Like 3