Cancelled our August 2021 cruise

Da-Painter

We booked a Baltic cruise in 2019 for August 2021, and decided today, rather then plan on making airfare and hotel plans, with the pandemic world wide, we do not see the cruise occurring, and if it did, our ability to tour the various cities safely looks questionable.

We booked with one of the big box stores, I called and got through immediately. The representative mentioned that my cancellation was understandable and quite common. They mentioned that folks were booking for fall 2021, nothing sooner, nor not much longer out at this time.

We had been looking forward to this cruise for years, to be done after my retirement. Wish we could do the cruise, but will see what the future has in store for all of us.

Stay safe and healthy, best wishes for the Holiday Season.

• Like 2

I will wait until June to cancel my October Mediterranean cruises if things aren't looking more normal by then.  Final payment is due near the end of June.  I also won't invest in airfare until that time.  I may have to pay more for airfare by waiting that long, but such is life.

• Like 2

We canceled our Baltic Trip for 2020.  So I know how your feel.   I think 2022 might be reasonable for  a large trip like the Baltic.    I agree with holding off on airfare for now.  There are some polices that give credit but often you need to rebook within a year. So much uncertainty still.  

it’s nice your refunds and cancellations went smoothly,.  Good luck to you. 

1 hour ago, Da-Painter said:

We booked a Baltic cruise in 2019 for August 2021, and decided today, rather then plan on making airfare and hotel plans, with the pandemic world wide, we do not see the cruise occurring, and if it did, our ability to tour the various cities safely looks questionable.

We booked with one of the big box stores, I called and got through immediately. The representative mentioned that my cancellation was understandable and quite common. They mentioned that folks were booking for fall 2021, nothing sooner, nor not much longer out at this time.

We had been looking forward to this cruise for years, to be done after my retirement. Wish we could do the cruise, but will see what the future has in store for all of us.

Stay safe and healthy, best wishes for the Holiday Season.

I feel your dissapointment but feel as though you are making a good choice for now. I had booked my May 2020 cruise 2 years ago-. In the event things would be better would you consider booking last minute from locally- or did you very much have your heart set on the Baltic cruise?

My next booking will be a last minute from NYC- I prefer going local and rather wait to see how things are.

• Like 1

Until things settle in after cruises resume (we hope), I'm not booking any future cruises.  After this does stabilize, and if cruising does return to the previous normal, there will still be plenty of cruises available for short notice booking.  One of those will be my next cruise.  

• Like 2

We've got a June Med/Greek Isle cruise that was booked in 2019. I fully expect them to cancel before going. At this point, I'm only $100 in for deposit and final payment is 60 days out. I'm willing to see if they cancel before the final payment mark so we can get the 10% coupon to book for 2022. I will cancel at 60 days out if they don't.

If they gave us the option to lift and shift to 2022 like Royal has, we would have already done that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, milolii said:

We canceled our Baltic Trip for 2020.  So I know how your feel.   I think 2022 might be reasonable for  a large trip like the Baltic.    I agree with holding off on airfare for now.  There are some polices that give credit but often you need to rebook within a year. So much uncertainty still.  

it’s nice your refunds and cancellations went smoothly,.  Good luck to you. 

We used Cruise Certificates, so they were just credited back to our account. Yes, maybe 2022 will be the time for this cruise. 

We just booked end of June UK & 1st week of Aug Med...deposits are cheap. Fingers crossed....(DM & I in June; plus DD in Aug)

Also have NCL Caribbean poker cruise booked in Nov. (DH & I)

Moved Celeb. Apex from March of this year to March of next (truly a deal--$1K each for obst. balcony, drinks, tips, wifi--it's more than double that price now.)

If things cancel this summer, flights are booked with credit/points. Will take the deposit & move to transatlantic 2023...

3 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

I was just looking at august/September European cruises. Originally, I was on,y looking at 2022 cruise, but I feel it becoming more of a reality for 2021 with the release of the Moderna vaccine.

Music to my ears as I have a Oct 2021 cruise booked on PoA...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We have an Iceland/Norway cruise booked in August 2021.  I fully expect to cancel before the final deadline, but will watch how things go.

Yeah, definitely watch and see how things go with these vaccine roll-outs. August 2021 may be far enough out that your Iceland/Norway cruise will be a go.

Fingers crossed for you 🤞...

Edited by farmersfight

I actually believe that the Baltic cruise we have booked for end of August 2021 and the following British Isles cruise in beginning of September (so two cruises B2B) on the "smaller" ship Jade WILL happen. BUT (unfortunately for many of you) probably only with European based passengers who all can show proof/certificates that they have had the vaccine against Covid-19. Unfortunately I don't think Europe and the EU zone will be open for tourists from outside EU as early as August/September 2021, even if they can provide proof on vaccine taken.

Edited by TrumpyNor

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We have an Iceland/Norway cruise booked in August 2021.  I fully expect to cancel before the final deadline, but will watch how things go.

This is the same cruise I was looking at, but I don’t know how ideal it is to have international flights and US citizens in Europe by then. Worst case, hoping to do a Canadian cruise out of New York City and save Europe for 2022.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:13 PM, BamaCruiser39 said:

I just booked an August 2021 cruise on the Breakaway out of Miami in honor of the cruise I was supposed to be on this week. Just hoping for the best!

We also booked an August 2021 on the Breakaway using our FCC from a canceled cruise.

I've planned a couple of cruises over the past several months.  I was supposed to be in the Caribbean in March, NCL had to cancel.  Same goes for Alaska in October, which NCL also cancelled.  Given how easy it is to cancel flights and hotels these days, I just wait until/if NCL cancels and get their "goodies" when I rebook.

Eventually, all the cruise companies will sail again.  I think the vaccine will accelerate them getting back on the high seas.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I've planned a couple of cruises over the past several months.  I was supposed to be in the Caribbean in March, NCL had to cancel.  Same goes for Alaska in October, which NCL also cancelled.  Given how easy it is to cancel flights and hotels these days, I just wait until/if NCL cancels and get their "goodies" when I rebook.

Eventually, all the cruise companies will sail again.  I think the vaccine will accelerate them getting back on the high seas.

If as most of CC members think a vaccine will be a requirement, where will the crew be vaccinated. Being they are not US citizens will the cruiselines be able to purchase doses for crew?

2 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

If as most of CC members think a vaccine will be a requirement, where will the crew be vaccinated. Being they are not US citizens will the cruiselines be able to purchase doses for crew?

My guess is "yes", crew absolutely will be inoculated, most probably by the Cruise Companies' medical staff.

My son works for a medical company.  He's required to get the vaccine in order to come into the office.  And, all personnel have to report to the office or be considered "no show" for their work (which eventually leads to termination).

I believe the cruise companies will be the same....get your inoculations by the cruise medical staff before you're allowed to board.  If not, you're considered a "no show".

Edited by graphicguy

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

My guess is "yes", crew absolutely will be inoculated, most probably by the Cruise Companies' medical staff.

Guess my question would be where/how will the cruiselines get the doses needed. They are foreign flagged so they should get doses before all the American public is vaccinated?

Many question the cruiselines have to resolve.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:34 AM, PhillyTravelBug said:

This is the same cruise I was looking at, but I don’t know how ideal it is to have international flights and US citizens in Europe by then. Worst case, hoping to do a Canadian cruise out of New York City and save Europe for 2022.

I did the Escape from NYC to Canada and enjoyed Bar Harbor and Halifax in particular- it is one of the 2 I am considering for 2023 (less NYC cruises by them in 2022 but would go then).

I am from outside Philly myself- and haven't been there since March 😞 as I often go several times per month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Guess my question would be where/how will the cruiselines get the doses needed. They are foreign flagged so they should get doses before all the American public is vaccinated?

They should absolutely not get doses while any Americans are still waiting to be vaccinated.

Maybe the cruiselines will have to re-staff...with people vaccinated in their home country.

On 12/20/2020 at 5:07 AM, farmersfight said:

Yeah, definitely watch and see how things go with these vaccine roll-outs. August 2021 may be far enough out that your Iceland/Norway cruise will be a go.

Fingers crossed for you 🤞...

Thanks!  Hoping we can go as we might also be able to see our Nebr. Huskers play in Dublin at the end of the cruise--if all works out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beerman2 said:

I hate to say it, but I have already read a couple of articles that say that "private practice" doctors are already trying to buy the vaccines for their "special clientele", i.e., wealthy folks who pay cash and do not use insurance.  I am sure there will be many doctors and companies that will be successful in obtaining these vaccines prior to all US residents getting their government-funded vaccines. 

1 minute ago, GA Dave said:

I hate to say it, but I have already read a couple of articles that say that "private practice" doctors are already trying to buy the vaccines for their "special clientele", i.e., wealthy folks who pay cash and do not use insurance.  I am sure there will be many doctors and companies that will be successful in obtaining these vaccines prior to all US residents getting their government-funded vaccines. 

Agree "money talks" , however does that make it right? It should be a level playing field , but " money " can buy anything. Deep pockets ( which the cruiselines seem to have) I'm sure will prevail.