Do you have a favourite HAL ship?

Damcruiser

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Did you really see that much difference between the Nieuw Amsterdam and Zuiderdam?

Roy

Hi Roy! Happy New Year!

My husband really liked the NA -- it was very new and shiny. It was also my first transAtlantic, and I may have felt I was knocking about the ship! I know from the stats that the Vista ships are the same length and just a couple of decks shorter than the Signature ships. But the Zuidy just seemed more cozy and comfortable. We added to our sea-legs in between the two ships, and our cabins were very different (Main Deck on NA and Observation Deck on Zuiderdam).

It could be we've just matured in our cruising style and will like the Pinnacle ship(s) even more. If we ever get to complete a sailing on one! 

• Thanks 1

At this point the next Dam Ship I’m allowed to board will become a favorite!

That being said, we have enjoyed the new Pinnacle Ships. With all the new venues it was like cruising on a new cruise line. Nice change after 20:+ Hal cruises.

IMO worth a try!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, aliaschief said:

we have enjoyed the new Pinnacle Ships. With all the new venues it was like cruising on a new cruise line. 

My sole Pinnacle Class ship experience was on Nieuw Statendam.  The different venues was a positive.  The design of a few of the public areas was disappointing, I thought.  The upper deck around the mid-ship's pool, the walkway is too narrow between the forward foyer and the mid-ship's bar and pizza/deli venues due to design and placement of furniture.  I had to watch my footing to prevent stumbling over something.  The Ocean Bar's design:  ridiculous!  Sitting at the bar, you are out in the aisle between "here and there" and then the room itself is divided with a wall so that if there is entertainment in the aft section, those in the forward section may hear, but cannot see.  The art!  Some of it is good; some is "interesting"; some of it is weird.  And, nothing has labels so that one might have some idea of what the artist is trying to say.  The architecture of the MDR is a close copy of the Celebrity Solstice Class ships.  I did not care for all of the "yellow color" of the decor.  

NS is not among my favorite HAL ships.  I hope Rotterdam VII will show improvements in areas that I think need to be improved in that Class of ships.  

Ours is the Nieuw Amsterdam.  We just feel so at home when we are on that ship.  We are looking forward to many more cruises on the NA.

We sailed on the K'dam and doubt we will sail on any of the Pinnacle class ships.  We didn't like the smaller cabins and the lack of a height adjustable coffee table in the cabin.  In cabin dining is virtually impossible in a Pinnacle class ship unless you book a suite.  For us, breakfast on our balcony is a quintessential HAL experience that we missed on the K'dam.

4 hours ago, cbr663 said:

For us, breakfast on our balcony is a quintessential HAL experience that we missed on the K'dam.

Same here, and that's one thing I wish HAL would do a little better.  Celebrity puts a table and chair set on all their balconies that are ideal for dining.  That tiny little end table on HAL standard balconies doesn't cut it.  

• Like 1

At this point.....any HAL ship is our favorite..........

But we really prefer the new Pinnacle class ships.....Our last cruises were on the Koningsdam & Nieuw Statendam and we are anxiously awaiting our Rotterdam cruise this fall.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 4:40 PM, rafinmd said:

Definitely R class (after the departed Prinsendam), and the Zaandam had a slight edge with me over the Amsterdam.

Roy

In the R Class I have always liked the Volendam though the Zaandam is okey, also.  Lik the pipe organin the middle of the atrium.

12 minutes ago, Himself said:

In the R Class I have always liked the Volendam though the Zaandam is okey, also.  Lik the pipe organin the middle of the atrium.

Father, I also prefer the Volendam over the Zaandam.  I have sailed on her for more days than Zaandam.  I like the decor of both ships.  And, both are very good "sea boats" in very rough seas.  I would be most pleased to be able to sail on either of them again.  

The Maasdam , with their fabulous itinerary  and EXC  program and wonderful speakers had to the be the best cruise experience we've ever had on any cruise ship.  (but it is now sold)

Next choice would be the Konningsdam . We haven't been on the New Statendam yet, but I heard it is similar with a few improvements.  We will go on it next chance we get

9 hours ago, goldengirl123 said:

The Maasdam , with their fabulous itinerary  and EXC  program and wonderful speakers had to the be the best cruise experience we've ever had on any cruise ship.  (but it is now sold)

Next choice would be the Konningsdam . We haven't been on the New Statendam yet, but I heard it is similar with a few improvements.  We will go on it next chance we get

Our experience on the Massdam was ok. Not our favorite ship as a bit to small for good entertainment but perfect size for the destination we did on it. 
If you enjoyed the Koningsdam you will really like the Nieuw Statendam as it has a few improvements. 

have fun

Sea Ya 

Eric 

👍 We preferred the HAL ships with the lanai staterooms! (Maasdam, Rotterdam, Volendam) So, I'm wondering since some of those ships have "departed", will there be a lanai cabins at all? 

🙃 However, at this point in time I'd like any cabin on a Holland America ship! 🙏

Edited by garlictown