Do you have a favourite HAL ship?

Damcruiser

My favourite ship (Prinsendam) and my 2nd favourite (Rotterdam) have left the fleet so I feel you pain.

FWIW, I’ve had good experiences on all of the Vista Ships except the Oosterdam & wonderful cruises on the Volendam.  It’s been a while but we’ll so find out if our impression is the same  in November next year on her (I’m assuming that the cruise goes).

• Like 3

We loved the Rotterdam & Amsterdam (R-Class), but they have left the fleet. Had a terrific time on every HAL ship, but they were special. Sadly, we never got on the Prisendam 😞. We loved the more intimate experience on the older, smaller ships.

So, it was with some trepidation that we booked the Koningsdam (Pinnacle Class) for a B2B (Transatlantic & Adriatic). We were blown away. The dining choices are terrific. But the entertainment really was a game-changer. The Lincoln Center/Rolling Stone/BB Kings combination is outstanding. And there are other terrific venues too. We were concerned about crowding, but never felt it - even during embarkation/disembarkation. We were so taken with the K'dam that we were on board in January 2020 for a terrific Caribbean cruise, and booked a future cruise on the Nieuw Statendam (since cancelled). 

Of course, by the time we board another Dam ship, we may be in for some major changes with the whole experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

So, it was with some trepidation that we booked the Koningsdam (Pinnacle Class) for a B2B (Transatlantic & Adriatic). We were blown away. The dining choices are terrific. But the entertainment really was a game-changer. The Lincoln Center/Rolling Stone/BB Kings combination is outstanding. And there are other terrific venues too. We were concerned about crowding, but never felt it - even during embarkation/disembarkation. We were so taken with the K'dam that we were on board in January 2020 for a terrific Caribbean cruise, and booked a future cruise on the Nieuw Statendam (since cancelled). 

This sums up how I feel too.  Before HAL had the Pinnacle class, my favorite ships were in the R class (the old Rotterdam specifically).  But now after we've sailed many days on the NS and the K, I can't imagine going back to R class ships because we love the extra dining choices and entertainment. I do miss the promenade deck of the smaller ships, but that's pretty much the only thing. Right now the Nieuw Statendam is my favorite ship, over the Koningsdam (although I like that ship a lot) because they fixed a few things (such as the poorly angled toilet). 😉 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Damcruiser said:

Now that the ships that I loved have left the fleet, I'm looking for advice for finding a new floating home.

Why do you like one class more than another?

HAL ships are nowhere near my favorite (mine are Celebrity ships), but of the HAL ships I've sailed, my favorite is Koningsdam.  What set it apart for me was the more modern design, huge showers, and dining choices.

• Like 1

I have about decided not to call any ship a favorite now.  Our favorite was the Prinsendam and she was sold.  Then, last year we spent 67 days on the Veendam after her drydock, and she became our favorite ship.  Next, thing we knew, she was sold.  Since we don't jinx another ship, we haven't named a new favorite ship.  

We have always liked the S and R class ships.  We sailed on the Volendam for 64 days in 2002, and twice on the Zaandam  and liked both of them.  

The only bigger HAL ship we have sailed on was the Westerdam, and liked here, but still prefer the smaller ships.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I have about decided not to call any ship a favorite now.  Our favorite was the Prinsendam and she was sold.  Then, last year we spent 67 days on the Veendam after her drydock, and she became our favorite ship.  Next, thing we knew, she was sold.  Since we don't jinx another ship, we haven't named a new favorite ship.  

We also liked Veendam.  Great size ship!  

• Like 1

As you can tell from the above reactions all the popular ships have left the fleet, we understand the aging of these ships and some of these could have been replaced by a similar ship, instead we are now stuck with large hotels..

• Like 3

Of the current ships in the fleet, the Volendam and Zaandam are my favorites.  Why?  Excellent and special (for me) cruise experiences, the floral decor theme of the Volendam and the music decor theme for the Zaandam appeal to me, a ship size that is easy to navigate and get from place to place, and both are very sea worthy having sailed on both when King Neptune was very upset.  

It will be impossible to replace Rotterdam V in my memory as the best ship on which I have sailed.  Prinsendam made a very indelible impression on my memory and is a favorite in her own unique way.  

Have not sailed on Oosterdam, but have sailed on all of the Vista and Signature Class vessels.  All cruises on those have met or exceeded my expectations except for one.  That was on the Noordam when I (and other 5 Star Mariners) were quite disappointed due to the unfriendly guest attitudes of the Master and the Hotel Director.  Such attitudes affected too many of our experiences during the cruise.  

I'm much less impressed with my one sailing on Nieuw Statendam.  Much hype by HAL prior to the introduction of the Pinnacle Class of vessels.  Positives?  There were.  But, some failed to meet my expectations based on the "hype" that I had received from Seattle.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Of the current ships in the fleet, the Volendam and Zaandam are my favorites.  Why?  Excellent and special (for me) cruise experiences, the floral decor theme of the Volendam and the music decor theme for the Zaandam appeal to me, a ship size that is easy to navigate and get from place to place, and both are very sea worthy having sailed on both when King Neptune was very upset.  

It will be impossible to replace Rotterdam V in my memory as the best ship on which I have sailed.  Prinsendam made a very indelible impression on my memory and is a favorite in her own unique way.  

Have not sailed on Oosterdam, but have sailed on all of the Vista and Signature Class vessels.  All cruises on those have met or exceeded my expectations except for one.  That was on the Noordam when I (and other 5 Star Mariners) were quite disappointed due to the unfriendly guest attitudes of the Master and the Hotel Director.  Such attitudes affected too many of our experiences during the cruise.  

I'm much less impressed with my one sailing on Nieuw Statendam.  Much hype by HAL prior to the introduction of the Pinnacle Class of vessels.  Positives?  There were.  But, some failed to meet my expectations based on the "hype" that I had received from Seattle.  

I'd like to know the names of the Captain and HD..

Favorite HAL ship? Hummm. 
Rotterdam is not only long gone, but so is her successor, which was sold. Prinsendam? Nope; gone, too. Maasdam! No again, as she was also sold out from under me. 
I better not pick one, or HAL will be selling that one next! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sir PMP said:

I'd like to know the names of the Captain and HD..

Captain Robert Jan Kan; I don't recall the name of the HD,  He was not that I recognized from past HAL experiences nor heard of him afterwards.  He may have been a short-timer with the Company.  

There have been on CC who have disagreed with my view of Captain Jan Kan.  He was invisible during our cruise and only appeared when he absolutely had to do so.  His "Voice from the Bridge" announcements were so scripted that one could parrot word for word what he would say other than weather or nautical information.   For example, the Welcome Aboard Toast and the Mariner's Society Party.  I encountered him once as he passed me.  I spoke; I didn't get any "warm fuzzes" from his response.  I got the feeling of "go away, you bother me."  

There was something seriously amiss on that 21 day (a b2b) cruise on the Noordam that Winter.  If I was alone in my opinion, I would say nothing.  But, I spoke with other experienced Mariners who also sensed that the cruise experience was not what it ought to have been.

Did I let Seattle know of my opinion when I returned home?  Yes, I did.   

18 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Rotterdam is not only long gone, but so is her successor, which was sold. Prinsendam? Nope; gone, too. Maasdam! No again, as she was also sold out from under me. 

I feel the same way about picking a favorite.  Every time I have, it was sold.

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Captain Robert Jan Kan; I don't recall the name of the HD,  He was not that I recognized from past HAL experiences nor heard of him afterwards.  He may have been a short-timer with the Company.  

There have been on CC who have disagreed with my view of Captain Jan Kan.  He was invisible during our cruise and only appeared when he absolutely had to do so.  His "Voice from the Bridge" announcements were so scripted that one could parrot word for word what he would say other than weather or nautical information.   For example, the Welcome Aboard Toast and the Mariner's Society Party.  I encountered him once as he passed me.  I spoke; I didn't get any "warm fuzzes" from his response.  I got the feeling of "go away, you bother me."  

There was something seriously amiss on that 21 day (a b2b) cruise on the Noordam that Winter.  If I was alone in my opinion, I would say nothing.  But, I spoke with other experienced Mariners who also sensed that the cruise experience was not what it ought to have been.

Did I let Seattle know of my opinion when I returned home?  Yes, I did.   

Thanks, I never sailed with him.

38 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Pick the new Rotterdam.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

The Koningsdam blew me away as well.  I really enjoyed my cruise on her and I'm looking forward to my cruise on the Rotterdam next September.   

• Like 1