My Ruapehu volcano given same eruption warning level as White Island

Mt Ruapehu , a volcano in the central North Island, has been rated at Level 2 as tremors have been reported and the temp of the crater has risen .

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/123776685/ruapehus-crater-lake-heating-up-tremors-continue

Fingers crossed that another Christmas disaster does not occur such as the Tangiwai disaster in 1953 .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Mt Ruapehu , a volcano in the central North Island, has been rated at Level 2 as tremors have been reported and the temp of the crater has risen .

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/123776685/ruapehus-crater-lake-heating-up-tremors-continue

Fingers crossed that another Christmas disaster does not occur such as the Tangiwai disaster in 1953 .

At least it's not in the middle of the ski season this time so there won't be the skiing hordes on the mountain and in surrounding towns.

When did she blow last? 1996?

5 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

If it erupts I hope the Chateau Tongariro Hotel remains safe.  My favourite place to stay in NZ.

Me too, it's such a lovely place and looks spectacular at the foot of the mountain. It's gone through a few run down phases over the decades but always pulls through. There are some lovely walks in that area in summer and it's a popular base in the ski season.

On 12/22/2020 at 12:07 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

When did she blow last? 1996?

Not sure of the date , but I do remember the occasion as my SIL was on the Mountain skiing at the time and got some spectacular shots ,which she took back and they were used by the media .

On 12/22/2020 at 10:19 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Not sure of the date , but I do remember the occasion as my SIL was on the Mountain skiing at the time and got some spectacular shots ,which she took back and they were used by the media .

According to Wikipedia, last eruption was 25 Sep 2007.  EM

• Like 1