The Daily for Thursday Dec 24, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Sad news from an old friend.  Both her DH's parents died of Covid last month.  They were in 2 different nursing homes in ND, one had 23 deaths and the other had 30.  Some staff were the first to test positive.  😞  

So sad to hear this 😢 All our prayers are with them, their family and you ❤️ 

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

I am computer challenged, maybe just 1 step above illiterate and have no idea what zoom is.  Therefore while I would like to join you I will not be able to. I hope the zoom meeting goes well

By any chance, do you have an IPad?  If you do, you can just download the app and go from there.  

I’ve only done one zoom meeting.  I much prefer the video option on FB messenger but, of course, it wouldn’t work for this many people 😉 

• Like 4

As usual, I am late to the party.  I, too, would like to add my voice to those who have praised Rich, Roy and all the others who make this a bright spot in my day.  I look forward to the meals suggestions since I am an amateur chef and am always looking for something different.  I'm not a big fan of sweet cocktails but am intrigued by Summer Slope's postings (from my old hometown of Sebring)...  I have a stout or porter every afternoon at 5 to celebrate my retirement.

So...  Merry Christmas to the "Daily Gang"...  

• Like 19

1 minute ago, 65 Gator said:

As usual, I am late to the party.  I, too, would like to add my voice to those who have praised Rich, Roy and all the others who make this a bright spot in my day.  I look forward to the meals suggestions since I am an amateur chef and am always looking for something different.  I'm not a big fan of sweet cocktails but am intrigued by Summer Slope's postings (from my old hometown of Sebring)...  I have a stout or porter every afternoon at 5 to celebrate my retirement.

So...  Merry Christmas to the "Daily Gang"...  

I believe you were the first Dailyite to get the jab.  Any side effects?

Roy

• Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, rafinmd said:

Some time ago I floated the idea of a "Daily" meet and greet, and there was interest but appeared to be varying familiarity with Zoom so I'm going to try to do a bit of a primer.  It requires a web can and a mike, so it is not likely to be really viable on a desk top but it works great on a laptop and I've had good luck on an IPAD.  Once the app is installed it's pretty simple, and I'll post a few screenshots.  You don't need an account to use it but if you find you like it there are both free and paid accounts.  I have the cheapest of the paid accounts.

When you call up the app on a laptop you get a screen that looks like this:

Zoomlt1.JPG.72d77a2dbf063cad94954b274f8d7ab9.JPG

I will post a meeting ID and password as the date approaches, and you need to enter the meeting ID in the top field.  To keep interlopers out I will ask people to put their screen names in the "my name" field.  Once you click "Join" you will get a second screen asking for a passcode:

Zoomlt2.JPG.9cecee11acb7f78f228a842f18ab9fbc.JPG

Enter the passcode and click "Join Meeting".  That will take you to a "Waiting room" where I will let you in on recognizing your screen name.

The screens look a little different on an IPAD but much the same.  This is what you should see when you start the app:

IPADZOOM0.thumb.PNG.763714eac6374a83ac7efa50dff4b5c0.PNG

Click "Join a Meeting" and the login screen will look like this:

IPADZOOM1.thumb.jpg.b824d3882d4fa4c088c9c18bee314597.jpg

Type in the Meeting Code and your screen name  and hit "Join" and you will get a simple dialog for your passcode.  Adding that will put you in the waiting room.

I'll supply the meeting code and passcode close to the event (Probably December 26)

I know Zoom works on laptops and Ipads and I think some phones as well.  Here's a link to a dummy meeting.  Clicking on it should prompt your device to install Zoom if it is available for the device.  It's just a dummy meeting so you won't be  able to join  this time, that will wait for the real thing.

Test for Zoom

Roy

Reposting from a couple weeks ago.  The "Test For Zoom" link should still set up a download of Zoom for any device capable of running it if Zoom is not already installed.

Roy

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I believe you were the first Dailyite to get the jab.  Any side effects?

Roy

Hi Roy...  I had a fairly sore injection site on day 2 and 3 then that resolved.  On day 4 I had a headache and fatigue but was fairly mild.  After that, there were no symptoms or side effects.  

Of interest is an app you sign up for from the CDC called "v-safe health check-in"...  They send you a text every afternoon around 3 or 4 and ask a number of questions ranging from site soreness to about a dozen reactions.  If you have  a severe reaction, they will contact you for more info.  Some object to it as intrusive but I see it as a wonderful way to track a vaccine that was produced quickly.

As it becomes available, I HIGHLY recommend getting the vaccine.

• Like 18

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Reposting from a couple weeks ago.  The "Test For Zoom" link should still set up a download of Zoom for any device capable of running it if Zoom is not already installed.

Roy

I installed the app on my tablet from the link you provided on Tuesday. Everything went well. I set up an account but I'm not sure I needed to.

• Like 5

So it's been an interesting Christmas Eve here...

I've had some major health issues this year, but am feeling well and looking forward to a (quiet) Christmas.  I had decided that I would make my spritz cookies today (green Christmas trees, the only one our sons really like!). I mixed up the dough and turned on the oven to preheat.....and NOTHING HAPPENED!  It's a gas stove - the burners worked and the broiler worked, but the main oven heating element would not. I called our usual appliance repair place, and the earliest they could get here was Saturday afternoon! I tried another company and they came within the hour, and the stove is completely fixed!  Cookies will have to wait for tomorrow, I'm going to start our prime rib dinner for tonight.

This group of wonderful cruise friends have been a lifesaver over this long year.  I love reading the recipes and seeing all the photos has been a bright spot every day. 

Here are a couple of my cruise ornaments - the drum was from Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), and the photo ornament was from Kake from our last Alaska cruise.

20201224_145233.jpg

20201224_145254.jpg

20201224_145306.jpg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, kazu said:

By any chance, do you have an IPad?  If you do, you can just download the app and go from there.

Thank you for asking. 
I do not have an IPad, only the desk top and to the best of my limited knowledge there is no camera. I will just have to wait and ask some of you to let me know how it went.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

You MAY be able to join voice only with one of the phone numbers listed.  I thought that was an extra cost option I hadn't paid for but the list of numbers is shown,.

Roy

No, not an extra cost.  I think the problem is the coverage here is very spotty.  I have LTE instead of 4G or 5G.  Two bars at the most.    I’ll do my best.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

No, not an extra cost.  I think the problem is the coverage here is very spotty.  I have LTE instead of 4G or 5G.  Two bars at the most.    I’ll do my best.

OK, just one word of warning.  You probably won't need much band width for voice only but your cell phone number will be on display on all our screens.

Roy

• Like 2

So we had our masked family gathering today. Actually worked out well until our feet got really cold. I am posting a picture that I think epitomizes Christmas 2020! Sorry not sure why it is Upside down but typical for 2020.

CBB8B33C-02EF-46E4-8E69-E18D302C13EA.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Picture wrong way
  • Like 11
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

32 minutes ago, lazey1 said:
1 hour ago, kazu said:

I do not have an IPad, only the desk top and to the best of my limited knowledge there is no camera. I will just have to wait and ask some of you to let me know how it went.

Lazey1, if you click on the link in the first quote (I hope it will work) your desktop will be prompted to install Zoom. I suspect your desktop has speakers and you should be able to see and hear us.  There's a "chat" icon at the bottom of the zoom screen so you would be able to "talk" to us by typing.  If you join the meeting you should also get an option to join via telephone audio, so we would be able to hear you and also be able to see us.

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kplady said:

I mixed up the dough and turned on the oven to preheat.....and NOTHING HAPPENED!  It's a gas stove - the burners worked and the broiler worked, but the main oven heating element would not

It seems this has been the year for stoves to “give up the ghost”.  I’m glad you were able to get it fixed in time for your cookies and Christmas 😉 

• Like 7

Well, 2020's still kicking us in the pants - a couple of hours ago there was a general emergency announcement on our cell phones and emails (notifications going off like crazy) that we were under a mandatory water restrictions - only essential water use for the next who knows how long.  Good thing I did laundry yesterday and showered this morning; DH may have to go roll in the snow to get clean!  With that in mind, here's something to smile at:

image.jpeg.87405c9fe7bdc7d735fd8fdadee92c9e.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 15
  • Haha 9

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Lazey1, if you click on the link in the first quote (I hope it will work) your desktop will be prompted to install Zoom. I suspect your desktop has speakers and you should be able to see and hear us.  There's a "chat" icon at the bottom of the zoom screen so you would be able to "talk" to us by typing.  If you join the meeting you should also get an option to join via telephone audio, so we would be able to hear you and also be able to see us.

Roy

Roy I'm in the same boat, so to speak, as Lazey1.  Only a desktop, and not the most computer savvy 🙂  With these instructions I will give it my best, thank you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas to all on Christmas Eve! These are pics from Christmas Eve on Maasdam in 2010 in the Caribbean, my first year working for HAL and my first Christmas at sea. I always enjoyed working Christmas on the ships, yes, also lonely times for some with family/loved ones at home, but overall ship life would keep you busy and there were a lot of crew-inspired activities. I probably enjoyed Christmas Eve the most with the incredible Filipino and Indonesian choir performances, as well as the international choir composed of all other nationalities, everyone dressed in their formal uniforms and civies. It was always a special time! 🙂 

Image may contain: 12 people, people standing and indoor

Image may contain: 20 people, people dancing, people standing, people on stage and indoor

The Filipino choir (guys 1st pic, and girls)

Image may contain: 7 people, people dancing, people standing, people on stage and indoor

The three choirs combined

Image may contain: 8 people, people standing, people dancing, night and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people dancing, people on stage, people standing and indoor

• Like 20

Happy Christmas Eve.

Only a few chores left to do for tomorrow, but have taken some time out to relax and catch up here.  Always a positive read.  Thank you everyone for sharing thoughts, jokes, wine reviews, recipes for drinks and other goodies.

Eggnog with Lamb's is in order once the remaining chores are completed.

For simplicity and because of family memories hotdogs are on the menu tonight.  Wonder how they will be with eggnog?

All the best to each and everyone.

Val

P.S.  I will try to figure out the Zoom call on Boxing Day, but my computer and I are arguing at the moment.  

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Well, 2020's still kicking us in the pants - a couple of hours ago there was a general emergency announcement on our cell phones and emails (notifications going off like crazy) that we were under a mandatory water restrictions - only essential water use for the next who knows how long.  Good thing I did laundry yesterday and showered this morning; DH may have to go roll in the snow to get clean!  With that in mind, here's something to smile at:

image.jpeg.87405c9fe7bdc7d735fd8fdadee92c9e.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Sorry about the water restrictions.  How it doesn’t last long.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have a great Christmas Eve everyone!

It got over 40F here yesterday with rain which turned to ice and then snow. It snowed until around 11 pm and was quite windy. This morning it was below 0F - probably a 45 degree temperature drop in less than a day! So we have a white Christmas, but local roads are nasty because of the ice underneath everything.

I made eggnog using a recipe from Toronto's Classical FM station. We will crack it open tonight, it has been aging in the fridge for about 3 weeks. 

I just seasoned the prime rib which had been dry-aging for a few days. Hopefully, it will turn out as good as previous beasts -

image.thumb.png.156494ed69c6fea8edeed3776756bdd7.png

• Like 16

Have a beautiful holiday, Everyone.  And many thanks to all who contribute to this lovely thread.

❤️💚❤️

Maxine

• Like 14