Tell me all things Eurodam please

IMKTDQT810

Looking to book Alaska 2023. Since those rates aren't posted yet I am looking at what is showing for 2022. I am in between HAL Eurodam or Princess Emerald. We are new cruisers to BOTH lines. It will (at the time of sailing) be myself (53), DH (49) and DS (17) this will be his High School graduation present. 

DH loves the spa...do we need to purchase a separate spa pass for him to use the spa areas? I know we will be getting some sort of cabin with a balcony but no clue what category.

What else might we need to know about HAL or the Eurodam Ship? 

37 minutes ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

DH loves the spa...do we need to purchase a separate spa pass for him to use the spa areas?

Yes.  A cruise length pass to the Greenhouse Spa with the Thermal Suite and the Hydrotherapy Pool is--or at least has been--available.  Daily passes are available, I have been told, but have no experience with them.  To use the other Spa services, bookings must be made and, of course, the various offerings have an additional cost.  

As a male, I have to add that their mini-facial and shave experience was so enjoyable that I booked a second one when I sailed on Eurodam in January, 2020.  I also booked a massage.  It was OK.  I wouldn't do it again.  The mini-facial/shave suited me better.  

• Thanks 1

Check this HAL forum and you will find all kinds of Eurodam information and reviews.  YouTube also has lots of nice reviews including Alaska specific Eurodam reviews.  Post COVID sailings will undoubtedly be different for awhile but hopefully back to great cruising by 2023!!

If three of you will be in the same cabin I highly recommend a Signature Suite! (Or a Neptune suite which is even larger, but of course more expensive)  The bathroom has two sinks and both a whirlpool bathtub with shower and a separate shower.  The veranda is a nice size and has a dining height table.  Basically the room is 1 1/2 times larger than a standard Verandah cabin.  I would not want a standard Verandah cabin or  Ocean View  with three adult size people.  When I share a cabin with a friend we always get the Signature Suite.  Eurodam has the Tamarind (Asian Fusion) specialty restaurant which is very good.

The spa does cost extra.  The fitness area/gym is included in the cruise price.  Good luck with your research!

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I would not want a standard Verandah cabin or  Ocean View  with three adult size people. 

An excellent recommendation by this poster including the one that I copied.  A standard balcony stateroom for two people on Eurodam was challenging at times for two adults.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all! I have been reading and reading all day on this forum (for Eurodam) and the Princess forum (for emerald) but many topics seemed geared towards looking for very specific answers. I also DID view a few youtubes until I started feeling seasick watching them (some folks don't know how to slowwwwwly pan vs whipping around to show this and then that and then this again..lol). So I had to quick watching them after the 2-3rd one!

Thank you all also for the info on the what I need to do to reserve the "spa pass" I know DH would really enjoy this area!

Edited by IMKTDQT810
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Thank you all also for the info on the what I need to loo for to reserve the "spa pass" I know DH would really enjoy this area!

Pleased to be of help.  Good wishes for many days of future planning for you.  Have fun!  Happy and Healthy New Year for your family!

• Like 1

The great thing (or one of the great things) about the weekly spa pass is it makes the room bigger.  That is, you can get away and spread out when the room starts to feel small, shower down in the spa while the rest of the family gets ready in the room.  It's a very relaxing place at odd hours like after dinner when there is nobody there.  The hydrotherapy pool and lounge areas are quiet most of the time and there doesn't tend to be children around, not that there are many on HAL ships.  In addition,  I love the silk den bar (quiet is a theme here) for relaxed atmosphere, and it's just across from my favorite restaurant, Tamarind.  

• Thanks 1

On sea days on an Alaska cruise, the heated ceramic loungers in the spa are soooo nice. Lovely views too and relaxing. One of my favorite Alaska cruise memories. But they are nice just about any time as is the hydrotherapy pool.

Also Tamarind, our favorite restaurant on HAL. That is a must for us. 

Enjoy your cruise!! And gratz to your son! 

• Thanks 1

In all honesty, especially with the 17 year old, I recommend booking your Princess choice.  Eurodam to Alaska was my last cruise and I was very disappointed in the entertainment and dining room service.  It was otherwise a relaxing cruise and the ship was in great condition, but I think most 17 years olds would be bored out of their mind on Eurodam.  JMHO.  Good luck with your choice.   

• Thanks 1

What is your son thinking about these choices?  Have you looked at other lines?  If this is his graduation gift, he should have a major say in the choice.  It might be that he would prefer NCL or Royal Caribbean... or even Carnival.  Since most lines do not have their itineraries out for Alaska 2023, I would just look at this as early research, but not make any booking until everyone has their itineraries posted.  EM

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the responses, experiences and information. I've posted on other boards and what you all have commented is right in line with what they said. I had a long talk with DS again last night on what HE wants out of the cruise (and grant you this is still over 2 1/2 years away) but he did mention that since he will be "older" he wants to enjoy more of the ship in the evenings. I think Princess might be a better match in that case. He also asked why I was looking at only these 2 lines and I explained about Glacier Bay and his response was that he is sure ALL of Alaska is going to be amazing and if we went with a different line that didn't go to Glacier Bay then he won't know what he was missing anyways. (Right on target with your comments Essiesmom) Thankfully I have plenty of time to get it all figured out! Thank you all once again, I really appreciate it!

Having sailed on Eurodam when she was new with our son at about the same age, I would definitely recommend you consider other cruise lines. Eurodam was beautiful then but, honestly very boring even for my husband and I. Our son has been on several lines with us and he prefers Celebrity. Granted he is an old soul in a young body but, he has always been all about the ship,  it's service, the ports of call, and he is quite the foodie which is why he likes Celebrity best. Even with all the options out there now he and his fiancé can't wait to get back on a Celebrity ship as soon as possible! 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bd1958 said:

In addition,  I love the silk den bar (quiet is a theme here) for relaxed atmosphere,

Literally, it is a hidden area during the day.  A great place to go to have a comfortable seat in which to read, have a snooze(!), and watch the activity on the deck below.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

OP, it tells you a lot when a bar on the ship is recommended as a great place to take a nap😄

My comment was NOT meant to be taken as a negative one, if that is how you read it.  The Silk Den Bar is NOT open during the day.  It opens in late afternoon, not too long before the Tamarind opens for dinner service.  In service, Silk Den Bar is well patronized.  At the same level as the Ocean Bar?  No.  Pleasant?  Yes.  It's a great venue for a quiet drink or two before dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

My comment was NOT meant to be taken as a negative one, if that is how you read it.  The Silk Den Bar is NOT open during the day.  It opens in late afternoon, not too long before the Tamarind opens for dinner service.  In service, Silk Den Bar is well patronized.  At the same level as the Ocean Bar?  No.  Pleasant?  Yes.  It's a great venue for a quiet drink or two before dinner.  

It just struck me as funny, no offense intended.

We enjoyed our Alaska cruise on the Eurodam with our 13 yr old grandson. He didn't care about the entertainment or nightlife (although he enjoyed the magician). He's really more of an outdoorsy kind of kid.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

It just struck me as funny, no offense intended.

I didn't take it as being offensive.  One of the advantages of the larger ships is being able to find areas that able to one and, maybe, not to others.  ]

The Crow's Nest is a good example of this.  I have found that it takes a day or more on a cruise for the guests to "find" this lounge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all once again for all the great information. I looked into NCL and RCCL, I have to admit that I think RCCL will more be up my son's alley. When talking to DH about it earlier he reminded me DS will be 18 at the time of sailing and NOT 17. So I need to see if they have a 17-20 type of thing. If I knew any of his friends would go with us I would get two connecting balconies rather then a larger suite but most of his friend have never even been on vacay none less a cruise OR on the opposite coast then we live. So I don't see that as an option so he has someone to "hang with" no matter what. But thank you all once again for all the info! 

2 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Thank you all once again for all the great information. I looked into NCL and RCCL, I have to admit that I think RCCL will more be up my son's alley. When talking to DH about it earlier he reminded me DS will be 18 at the time of sailing and NOT 17. So I need to see if they have a 17-20 type of thing. If I knew any of his friends would go with us I would get two connecting balconies rather then a larger suite but most of his friend have never even been on vacay none less a cruise OR on the opposite coast then we live. So I don't see that as an option so he has someone to "hang with" no matter what. But thank you all once again for all the info! 

Between those, go Royal Caribbean.  I actually had a lot of fun on NCL's newer ship class, but it was BY FAR the most crowded ship on which I have ever set foot.  I describe the ship as constant chaos.  I don't recommend their older ships at all.  

Royal Caribbean has the best entertainment at sea, both in talent and variety.  Plus, their ships have a wow factor that doesn't exist in other lines.  IMO, they're a notch above NCL and Carnival.  

• Thanks 1

Ok to start with if my parents would of offered me a cruise for my graduation I, would of pretty much taken any cruise line as it is free and the most important is being with my parents. Ok ok this is coming from a 52 year old fart now lol 😂 😂.

Actually I have done both ships and must say he might enjoy a bit more of Princess.
It all depends on what he likes as well. If he’s the type of person that want yo meet other younger people then maybe think of NCL or RCCL but if he’s like I was and loves being around with older people then HAL or Princess is fine.

On a good note you have plenty of time to ask around and read and look at videos before making a group decision,

happy cruising

Sea YA

Eric 

l

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

I have to admit that I think RCCL will more be up my son's alley. When talking to DH about it earlier he reminded me DS will be 18 at the time of sailing and NOT 17. So I need to see if they have a 17-20 type of thing

The ship having an age dedicated type of program may or may not appeal to some youth.  I have read reviews that indicate that some youth enjoy them; some do not.  By observation, as long as there are other youth of a compatible age present, shipmate friends usually develop.  

Indeed, isn't this what happens with many (all?) of us when we cruise?  

• Thanks 1

While RCL Ships probably do have the best activities onboard, the convention for Alaska cruises is that it's more about the destinations than the onboard ship experience. Holland and Princess have by far the most experience in Alaska and some would argue the best itineraries for Alaska. Some things that also give them a leg up in Alaska are having preferred docking spots in some of the ports and the availability of actual National Park rangers to give presentations. I think they also spend more time in the ports (for example on a July 2022 itinerary, the Majestic Princess has 10.5 hours in Juneau, the RCL Quantum of the Seas only 7 hours).

That said, I agree that the HAL onboard experience may be too sedate for OP's DS. I would recommend going on one of the Princess Royal class ship like the Majestic Princess if you want to balance a ship with bells and whistles while still having a nice itinerary to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard (Princess actually goes to both for their Whittier-Vancouver cruise). To reframe OP's DS thoughts, "Any cruise with Princess or RCL is going to be amazing and if he's never been on RCL then he won't know what he was missing anyways".  

• Thanks 1