Bayou Steakhouse Menu on Coral Princess

Don't know if anyone has had a chance to cruise on the Coral Princess in Aus yet, but if someone has, can you tell me if the menu is different when crusing here as opposed to cruises in the US or the Caribbean? Menu I have seen appears very US centric.

Thanks.

I don't think Coral has been here recently, if at all, so there might not be any answer to your question. 

Princess rarely tweaks the speciality restaurant menus though. Their pop-up Crab Shack menus are also very US-centric. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 1/1/2021 at 12:44 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

I think you'd have to expect that from a restaurant called the Bayou Cafe & Steakhouse.

I was on Coral Princess about 5 years ago, Panama Canal. Quite a good menu, plenty of beef and some Creole food, also a Crab Shack pop up some nights. Tried them both as we had complimentary dinners for one place. Food was good and I doubt their long standing menu will change when she is due here end of this year, hopefully.

I'm genuinely interested in how they are going to source their alligator ribs whilst the Coral is in Australia for the season ...  a quick Google search lets me know that I can buy just under 3kg of alligator meat for the special price of $397!  Bargain 😉 

1 hour ago, V_icki_e said:

I'm genuinely interested in how they are going to source their alligator ribs whilst the Coral is in Australia for the season ...  a quick Google search lets me know that I can buy just under 3kg of alligator meat for the special price of $397!  Bargain 😉 

The same way they source a lot of the produce on Princess, shipped frozen from the US. And they have deals with suppliers so don't pay retail prices.

2 hours ago, V_icki_e said:

Plenty of gators in Florida, kill em, freeze em and ship them. Like the cruise ships from usa do with most of their meats and sea food.

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Would anyone have any ideas on what the AUD $ Cover Charge will be for the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse, once in Australia? Thanks.

$29pp I think. Sabatinis was $25pp. You can see the prices in the app if you look at making a booking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

$29pp is OK.

Yes. I was actually surprised that Sabatinis was a bit cheaper as I think $29 was the standard price for a couple of years before cruising stopped in 2020.

It will be interesting to see how popular the Bayou Cafe is here. After looking at the sample menu on the Princess website I have to say it doesn't really entice me to eat there but we'll probably try it on one of our cruises. 

We were disappointed the one time we tried the Crab Shack. We may have chosen the wrong things but, to me, half of it was inedible.

I'd much rather have a Crown Grill instead. I'm going to miss the Black and Blue Onion Soup. 😪

• Like 1

Just now, CDaze71 said:

Thanks. I thought when I saw the $29 online that was the USD price. 

The speciality restaurant prices don't actually change when the ships come down here which is great for us. It's more of a token charge and I guess they've worked out that those prices are what people are happy to pay.

The Sanctuary prices are the other thing that doesn't change - $40 pp full day or $20pp half day whether in USD or AUD.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It will be interesting to see how popular the Bayou Cafe is here. After looking at the sample menu on the Princess website I have to say it doesn't really entice me to eat there but we'll probably try it on one of our cruises. 

We were disappointed the one time we tried the Crab Shack. We may have chosen the wrong things but, to me, half of it was inedible.

I'd much rather have a Crown Grill instead. I'm going to miss the Black and Blue Onion Soup. 😪

Same. Looking at their menu, at least I can have a good steak and try a couple of new flavours.

Yeah, the onion soup, a perfect steak & the dessert tasting plate. It would be nice to have, but I will have to wait for Majestic in October to have my Crown Grill.

• Like 1

Looking forward to trying the Bayou thingumie on my forthcoming round Aussie cruise on Coral in Oct/Nov (assuming it goes ahead!) ... it looks a nice setting accordingly to pics online.  No idea what I would choose to order but ... it will be an adventure LOL. 

OzKiwiJJ :  I agree about the Crab Shack ... definitely did NOT enjoy the meal there.  The crab legs (or whatever they were?) were tough and totally tasteless IMO.  Obviously frozen of course.  The other offerings just didn't do it for me. 

28 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Looking forward to trying the Bayou thingumie on my forthcoming round Aussie cruise on Coral in Oct/Nov (assuming it goes ahead!) ... it looks a nice setting accordingly to pics online.  No idea what I would choose to order but ... it will be an adventure LOL. 

OzKiwiJJ :  I agree about the Crab Shack ... definitely did NOT enjoy the meal there.  The crab legs (or whatever they were?) were tough and totally tasteless IMO.  Obviously frozen of course.  The other offerings just didn't do it for me. 

Everything we had was overcooked and tasteless except for one appetiser - prawns I think.

I haven't had much luck with ethnic speciality restaurants on cruise ships, Italian excepted and also Umi Uma on Crystal. Although with Cajun / Creole cuisine I wouldn't know how authentic it was. I'm still fuming over the totally bland Hunan Beef we had on Solstice, there wasn't speck of chilli in it and Hunan is one of the spiciest of the Chinese cuisines.

• Like 1