international air passengers to quarantine upon arrival in USA

Hangman115

President Joe Biden has signed an executive order seeking ALL international air passengers to quarantine upon arrival in the United States.  There is no law yet and no number of days for lockdown. But the past year  the amount of days under lockdown has been 14 days.

If this plan of Joe Biden is in effect when cruising begins in the USA. How many feel this will deter most if not all International travelers from sailing from a US port. How many will fly into the USA, let's say March 1. then have to be under government lockdown in some hotel for 14 days. And not be able to sail until March 15. And what happens if they have to go under lockdown again after they return from a cruise and not be able to fly on an international flight home for days or weeks later. 

As I can see, this is only an executive order f something Biden wants. It is not law at this time.

I would expect that to dry up everything but extremely essential travel.  If you are correct, that is another nail in the US tourism coffin for 2021.  Cruising seems really distant for another year in my opinion.  Maybe longer...

Edited by SelectSys
  • Thanks 1

Are they going to let them go anywhere they want to quarantine which we all know will be ignored,  lock them up in a controlled place which will work and is used by some countries or else make them wear a tracking bracelet which mostly works until some entitled young female manages to get it off.  It is a good idea but the devil is in the details.

DON

After reading the actual Executive Order it seems to me that you can expect more changes coming for all modes of transportation.  With regards to cruising, the order also wants new public health measures at sea ports.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/21/executive-order-promoting-covid-19-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/

There is little doubt in my mind that this will greatly impact the cruise industry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hangman115 said:

President Joe Biden has signed an executive order seeking ALL international air passengers to quarantine upon arrival in the United States.  There is no law yet and no number of days for lockdown. But the past year  the amount of days under lockdown has been 14 days.

If this plan of Joe Biden is in effect when cruising begins in the USA. How many feel this will deter most if not all International travelers from sailing from a US port. How many will fly into the USA, let's say March 1. then have to be under government lockdown in some hotel for 14 days. And not be able to sail until March 15. And what happens if they have to go under lockdown again after they return from a cruise and not be able to fly on an international flight home for days or weeks later. 

As I can see, this is only an executive order f something Biden wants. It is not law at this time.

First, the executive order is the law unless it gets challenged in court and is ruled to be illegal.

Second, your  example using March cruises isn't  very good because all US cruises through April 30 have already been cancelled and some itineraries have been cancelled beyond that date. It's very unlikely that there will be any cruising from the US before summer at the earliest and by that time the executive order may very well be lifted or modified. If the country is recovering well enough from the pandemic to allow cruising to resume it will also be recovering well enough to have travel restrictions removed or lessened.

Third, the CDC Conditional Sailing Order prohibits any cruises longer than 7 days through October 31, which means there will likely be many fewer international visitors who will even want to come to the US for a cruise. People who must travel long distances to get to the US are, IMO, less likely to do so for a short cruise of 7 days or less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

After reading the actual Executive Order it seems to me that you can expect more changes coming for all modes of transportation.  With regards to cruising, the order also wants new public health measures at sea ports...

There is little doubt in my mind that this will greatly impact the cruise industry.

I think you are right.  It could well be that we will see the change of administration generally lower cruise activity in the US overall above and beyond COVID and health.

Personally, I also expect new environmental regulations from the new administration to increase the cost of all forms of transportation including cruises and airline tickets.  I can at least see a carbon tax on cruises departing from the US and on airline seats. 

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

First, the executive order is the law unless it gets challenged in court and is ruled to be illegal.

I believe one of the consequences of all of the lawsuits filed against the previous administration is that any injunctions against  an executive order only hold force in the federal court circuit where the injunction was granted.  Someone with more legal knowledge here can correct me.

5 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

It could well be that we will see the change of administration generally lower cruise activity in the US overall above and beyond COVID and health.

And for that we shall be grateful. As someone here wrote the last people I want to be with are those that are frantic to cruise. They're depressed. And they haven't done vaccine test on any children so that's going to affect a whole lot of travel

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Second, your  example using March cruises isn't  very good because all US cruises through April 30 have already been cancelled and some itineraries have been cancelled beyond that date. It's very unlikely that there will be any cruising from the US before summer at the earliest and by that time the executive order may very well be lifted or modified. If the country is recovering well enough from the pandemic to allow cruising to resume it will also be recovering well enough to have travel restrictions removed or lessened.

Third, the CDC Conditional Sailing Order prohibits any cruises longer than 7 days through October 31, which means there will likely be many fewer international visitors who will even want to come to the US for a cruise. People who must travel long distances to get to the US are, IMO, less likely to do so for a short cruise of 7 days or less.

Excuse me. How about using July 1. Is that better. 

I live in Florida. many international visitors fly into Orlando. They can visit Disney and other type parks. they can also sail out of 4 cruise ports on the East coast of Florida.  International air travelers have come to FL for a long time. the lockdown will keep them away from Disney, cruises and other places in FL and other states. So 7 days may be a cruise plus sometime at Disney, Universal and others. Add on the government required lockdown will mean weeks in FL with many days in quarintine

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hangman115 said:

I live in Florida. many international visitors fly into Orlando. They can visit Disney and other type parks. they can also sail out of 4 cruise ports on the East coast of Florida.  International air travelers have come to FL for a long time. the lockdown will keep them away from Disney, cruises and other places in FL and other states. So 7 days may be a cruise plus sometime at Disney, Universal and others. Add on the government required lockdown will mean weeks in FL with many days in quarintine

Yep. And your point is? Leisure travel isn't essential. Saving lives is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hangman115 said:

Same is true for cruises departing other popular locations, such as the Mediterranean, etc. Yet they have instituted quarantines quite a while back. And by and large, although the virus flares and fades, they have done better overall than we have in the US.

Perhaps it is time we started taking this virus more seriously. The sooner we combat it, in every way we can, the sooner we can get back to normal life. Not this "death by a thousand cuts."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, clo said:

And for that we shall be grateful. As someone here wrote the last people I want to be with are those that are frantic to cruise. They're depressed. And they haven't done vaccine test on any children so that's going to affect a whole lot of travel

My point had nothing to do with COVID.  I was referring to other likely policy decisions affecting the cost of travel.  Our new transportation secretary is proposing a new federal gas tax already.  

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/01/21/buttigieg-faces-largely-friendly-panel-at-confirmation-hearing/

Expect more to come - including rules at the ports and ships entering US waters.

BTW - I agree.  Cruise travel is looking like a non-starter this year from the US.  RCCL's Barbados ship will likely be the first large ship sailing in the Caribbean.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Perhaps it is time we started taking this virus more seriously. The sooner we combat it, in every way we can, the sooner we can get back to normal life. Not this "death by a thousand cuts."

Agreed.  This is especially true as the vaccinations are going to go much slower than I think any of us expected.  The LA times is saying it will take until June to get the over 65 population the vaccine.  For those between 50-65, who knows?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-01-20/vaccinating-all-residents-65-and-older-could-take-up-to-5-months-top-public-officials-says

another link:

https://californiahealthline.org/morning-briefing/thursday-january-21-2021/

Edited by SelectSys

11 minutes ago, Hangman115 said:

Add on the government required lockdown will mean weeks in FL with many days in quarintine

That's why inbound international travel won't be happening except in the rarest of cases.  More hard times for the hospitality industry for sure.

55 minutes ago, Hangman115 said:

July 1 potentially makes your entire point irrelevant because by then the executive order could very well be lifted if the vaccination programs here and in other countries have progressed sufficiently.

You don't seem to understand that the executive order has no impact on cruising for the immediate future because there is no cruising planned in the immediate future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hangman115 said:

How many feel this will deter most if not all International travelers from sailing from a US port. How many will fly into the USA, let's say March 1. then have to be under government lockdown in some hotel for 14 days. And not be able to sail until March 15. And what happens if they have to go under lockdown again after they return from a cruise and not be able to fly on an international flight home for days or weeks later. 

Several other countries are already doing this exact same thing.  

Unless you fall into an essential traveller category Canada requires a 14-day quarantine and you will be contacted by government to ascertain your location. This penalties for breaking quarantine are $750,000 and up to 6 months behind bars. If your quarantine plan doesn't satisfy the CBSA you will be directed to a government-approved quarantine location for the duration.

It is encouraging to see a national government in America that is taking COVID-19 seriously.  

• Like 3

I was honestly shocked to hear that this wasn't a rule already. Since March we haven't been able to leave Canada without a 14 day quarantine (we aren't supposed to leave at all, unless it is essential) and we can't even leave our province to travel within Canada without a 14 day quarantine on our return. This has been extremely effective for our province as we have very few cases and they are contained quickly. Masks can only do so much - it's the quarantine and restricting movement that is most effective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

It is encouraging to see a national government in America that is taking COVID-19 seriously.  

It sure as hell is. While we'd love to head up to Canada I give the highest praise for not allowing it.

• Like 2