More Cancellations

CCLcruiser91

On 1/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, teknoge3k said:

It's depressing. I know how May cruise will likely be cancelled, so I just went ahead and booked 2 all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic. At least if the cruise is cancelled, we have a backup plan and something to do. That's what we did last year when our cruise was cancelled as well and it made the summer much more enjoyable. 

I’m doing the same but in Mexico.

• Like 1

Are y'all concerned about the required negative covid test to fly back? I canceled a trip to Cancun next month because of that. The resort I had booked was offering the test, but I have little faith in the testing itself and just feel like I don't want to take the chance 😏 I think they are also saying to quarantine for 7-10 days after returning. 

1 minute ago, jcgld62 said:

Are y'all concerned about the required negative covid test to fly back? I canceled a trip to Cancun next month because of that. The resort I had booked was offering the test, but I have little faith in the testing itself and just feel like I don't want to take the chance 😏 I think they are also saying to quarantine for 7-10 days after returning. 

Not the slightest bit concerned. Most of the resorts in the DR provide free testing, and many of them allow you to stay 14 days free if there's a positive test. 

• Like 1

I wish I were that confident, I may seriously consider it for May. Just curious, how would you handle it if just one of your party tested positive? Would everyone stay the additional days?

My travel party consists of 4 ladies with all different situations that would be affected if they had to stay the extended time, jobs and/or kids.

1 minute ago, jcgld62 said:

I wish I were that confident, I may seriously consider it for May. Just curious, how would you handle it if just one of your party tested positive? Would everyone stay the additional days?

My travel party consists of 4 ladies with all different situations that would be affected if they had to stay the extended time, jobs and/or kids.

They allow yourself and 1 other to stay. The rest of my party would fly home without us. 

A lot of people were scared to travel early last year as well. We went to the DR in July, and in September. No issues either time. We've also gone to Florida several times, Myrtle Beach (yuck) and Gatlinburg. Aside from Gatlinburg, it's been nice to be at these places when there's not as many people there as normal. Gatlinburg however, I have never seen as many people there in my life as I did when we went in December. 

I will add that my previous post I mentioned we were going to Melia come June. We've changed our plans and are now going to Dreams instead of Melia. 

• Like 1

Thanks teknoge3k, we changed to Florida when we canceled Cancun, going to Clearwater Beach.

We were in Cancun (Akumal) in July the first week our resort opened backed up. It was nice having the resort almost all to ourselves, but there were lots of amenities that were still closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcgld62 said:

Not worried. Our resort offers the same as Teknoge’s including food and non-alcoholic beverages for the 14 quarantined days. We’ve had our adult cruise canceled 5 times (once May is canceled). We won’t take an adult cruise during the summer... pointless. We will roll over the credits to the family cruise in Oct and hope it sails. 

• Like 1

I booked my, now Florida, trip when my March cruise was canceled, I've had 9 cruises canceled, rebooked, canceled, blah blah blah. If (when) my May cruise is canceled I am going to diligently research and consider rebooking Cancun again. Thanks for helping me feel better about doing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcgld62 said:

I am going to diligently research and consider rebooking Cancun again. 

Cheap Caribbean dot com is a great research venue.  They have a listing of each parent company with their resorts listed and their Covid procedures. They, along with TripAdvisor are great research websites to choose your resort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Cheap Caribbean dot com is a great research venue.  They have a listing of each parent company with their resorts listed and their Covid procedures. They, along with TripAdvisor are great research websites to choose your resort.

I’ve lived on TripAdvisor lately. We are going to take a day trip to Isla Mujeres...etc. Pretty excited! 

6 hours ago, jcgld62 said:

I booked my, now Florida, trip when my March cruise was canceled, I've had 9 cruises canceled, rebooked, canceled, blah blah blah. If (when) my May cruise is canceled I am going to diligently research and consider rebooking Cancun again. Thanks for helping me feel better about doing it.

Please don’t come to Florida. Especially not Clearwater. 

Seriously guys, it’s not safe out here. 

9 hours ago, airjai said:

We came to Clearwater back in November and it was my first time there. Normally we spend our time in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. My cousin is the manager of a Hilton out there and invited us to come out and spend some time there. We really liked that area. 

10 hours ago, airjai said:

Is it because masks haven't been required? I don't think any city/state is "safe", however I do believe if the protocols are in place and followed it is safer.

We can't hide, we can only take precautions that each individual is comfortable with.

Before anyone says unless you've dealt with it/ had it,no I haven't, however I have a family member who spent 25 days in isolation 30 days total in hospital. The nurses told him everyone will get it to some degree.

Edited by beerman2

More cancellations indeed

and yet the marketing continues unabated!

I get bombarded daily with emails urging bookings

at vastly reduced deposits...like just $50 per person!

Sometimes two emails a day... I just delete.

There's no way I'm sinking a dime into this merry-go-round

of cancellations.

When cruising gets stable

to the point where I start seeing a Carnival funnel

showing up at the Barbados port every Friday, with regularity

- then we'll do business.

I haven't seen this sort of thing now, for quite some time!

Btown-48.jpg

Those of you planning all inclusives in lieu of your cancelled cruise, don't forget about the new CDC travel restriction from international countries. If you catch the rona while on vacation you can't come home until your negative.  What a hassle to have to worry about that while on vacation. 

Doesn't work well with those that are on vacation time from their employers and have to be back to work a certain day.

Edited by Georgie562
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

Those of you planning all inclusives in lieu of your cancelled cruise, don't forget about the new CDC travel restriction from international countries. If you catch the rona while on vacation you can't come home until your negative.  What a hassle to have to worry about that while on vacation. 

Doesn't work well with those that are on vacation time from their employers and have to be back to work a certain day.

As mentioned, most resorts in the Dominican and Mexico have a plan in place for this. Most of them offer free testing and you can stay there for 14 days if you test positive. I am sure other countries have a plan in place, I just know of the ones in the DR and Mexico from my research. 

1 minute ago, teknoge3k said:

As mentioned, most resorts in the Dominican and Mexico have a plan in place for this. Most of them offer free testing and you can stay there for 14 days if you test positive. I am sure other countries have a plan in place, I just know of the ones in the DR and Mexico from my research. 

Yup. Hence why I said  doesn't work well for those that work and have vacation time approved for  only a certain amount of days. 

11 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

yes most of us know this.  There were a lot of cancellations at least in Cozumel.  I am an adult and after 1 year understand how to wear a mask and social distance.  For my trip I will have had both doses of Moderna, tested pre, during and post.  New CDC guidelines are 7 days post get tested and/or quarantine 10 days.  Bottom line, it is our decision how to spend our vacation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

This is true in Cozumel at the AI's. The air bnb are a little different.

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

This is true in Cozumel at the AI's. The air bnb are a little different.

Yea because that's someones house/apt/etc. In the DR, they have companies that will come to the resorts and hotels that doesn't offer the free testing, and will do the testing for you for a decent cost. They email or WhatsApp you the results within X amount of hours. I am not sure if Cozumel has anything like that but you may look into it if you're going to Cozumel. It sure it cheaper than going to a medical center. 

3 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Yea because that's someones house/apt/etc. In the DR, they have companies that will come to the resorts and hotels that doesn't offer the free testing, and will do the testing for you for a decent cost. They email or WhatsApp you the results within X amount of hours. I am not sure if Cozumel has anything like that but you may look into it if you're going to Cozumel. It sure it cheaper than going to a medical center. 

We are doing Fiesta Americana.  We love it there.  And thank God they are testing us there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

We are doing Fiesta Americana.  We love it there.  And thank God they are testing us there.

Enjoy yourself!! It's been great traveling this past year with low capacity at the resorts. I expect pictures when you return. 🙂

• Like 2

Sort of back to the original theme.  Anyone's best guess as to when May goes away?  If memory serves it was January 6th when they pulled the plug on March and January 22nd when April went away.

Now I bet what they are hoping for is a 'good news' announcement, however unlikely that might be right now.

"Carnival expects its first test cruise on March 1st and will launch its first 'paying customer cruise' on May 1 aboard the Carnival Horizon scheduled to visit the Bahamas on an exciting 4 night itinerary." 

So assuming that's somewhat accurate (at least in terms of the strategy, if not timing) we might have to wait awhile as the CDC continues to press the break pedal waiting for numbers to continue to decline and vaccinations to increase.  I do think Carnival does have an obligation to its booked passengers to give them time to make alternate Spring/Summer plans.