The Daily for Thursday Jan 28, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

OMG Debbie!  You made my painting nightmare humorous as only you could.  😅

Sometimes there's not much you can do but laugh.  I decided it was not appropriate to hit the like button on Debbie's post; I can like the way she described it but certainly not what happened.,

Roy

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all!  Nearly the end of January, where has the time gone?  Primroses were on sale at the garden centre today, so I went in and bought a dozen - they make me think Spring is around the corner, but of course, we have to get through February ("the cruellest month") first.  So I will keep them indoors for a bit and enjoy them.  

IMG_5439.thumb.JPG.0fde0cd51e757718e7c381cf90c8ac32.JPG

I am so jealous.  We don’t even have garden centres open other than Halifax Seed which doesn’t have live plants.  Beautiful, Ann 😄 

• Like 7

Good afternoon all and thanks for the update.

It’s a windy cold and sunny day here but it’s supposed to be even colder tomorrow. Snow expected late Sunday till Tuesday morning. Possibly 6-10 inches 😱.

@dfishif I lived closer to you I would deliver an adult beverage of your choosing.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 9

Yesterday's sunrise was from Buenos Aires the day I boarded Crystal Symphony for an Antarctica Cruise.  Our first port of call was Montevideo, my first time there although I returned 3 more times in the next 4 years.  I'll concentrate on things I don't remember from the other 3 visits.  This may be the only time there I took a tour and got a bit further from the center of town.  There's a waterfront park with an interesting monument to Uruguay's naval heroes.

armada.jpg

Another interesting sculpture saluted the pioneers settling the interior by oxcart.

oxcart.jpg

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@dfishif I lived closer to you I would deliver an adult beverage of your choosing.

Wow!  Can you imagine what this paint job would look like with an adult beverage thrown in?   😂

No more mishaps after the ones I reported.   I am a messy painter as well.  If you look at me,  you would wonder if any of the paint got on the wall.   Doing the trim is hard, especially the part near the floor.  But, it is coming along.  It is just taking more than usual.  Even with a primer, it is taking several coats.   The walls and ceiling should be quicker.  

And, @rafinmd, I am laughing at it.  Laughter helps more than other reactions.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Oh, my goodness, I am having so much fun painting today.   I did all the taping and started with the trim pieces.  The window trim went well for the first coat.  The door went well for the first coat.   I went back to do another coat on the window and tipped the paint can.  It ran down the side of the dresser and onto the wood floor.   Fortunately, that cleaned up well.   So, started painting again and the brush handle broke off.  Off to find a new brush and discovered that I had stepped in paint and tracked it all the way downstairs.  Another clean up job.  Put the second coat on the window and door trim and decided it was time to take a break from all that fun.  There are limits to even that.

That really is a nightmare!  Aren't you glad you didn't pay good money to have a "professional" painter make that mess for you?  I always clean up after the contractors clean up after themselves.  Their clean and my clean are totally different!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

A few years ago--within the first 12 months after the Alexa was released--there was, what I consider to be a hilarious, incident that occurred with an Alexa installed by a tech lover in (by my recollection} in Portland, OR.  Again, this person was a tech lover, and, so, his whole house was wired up for all kinds of automated capability--i.e., he used the Alexa for more than just listening to music, it was integrated into multiple systems.  One day the owner of the Alexa received a telephone call from a professional acquaintance in Seattle.  He was curious why he had received an email from the Alexa owner with a recording of the owner and his wife discussing their furniture.  Apparently, Alexa recorded background conversations, was able to access the owner's email contact list, and randomly picked out one and sent the recording.  As you can imagine, this caught Amazon by surprise and their technical people were very interested in checking out this rogue device.  Presumably, this "feature" has been removed from the software

DH only uses our Alexa for playing music while cooking dinner nowadays.  A couple of years ago he became concerned we were being recorded by Amazon 24/7 after news reports came out like that one.  So now he pushes the mute button while listening to music then after listening to music he presses the mute button (turns the ring red), then he unplugs the whole device.  Hopefully we are not being spied on anymore!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the daily reports.

@dfishthanks for the link to the Lamb Bake, which I have printed.  Good luck with your painting.

Where has our summer gone? On Tuesday 33degrees C, today (Friday) expecting a high of14, a very cold wind, turned on the heating again.

Stay safe and well everyone.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for the daily reports.

@dfishthanks for the link to the Lamb Bake, which I have printed.  Good luck with your painting.

Where has our summer gone? On Tuesday 33degrees C, today (Friday) expecting a high of14, a very cold wind, turned on the heating again.

Stay safe and well everyone.

We are sharing the chilly wind, but we had a high of about 3C, and now below zeroC, wind chill -10C.

Roy

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Not to be nebby, but can you tell us where you are moving from and to?

We are actually only moving 2 km.....from the south end of the village to the north end. But the downsizing is a chore, to be sure. Luckily, my son is buying this house, so if I forget anything.....I know he'll toss it on the front lawn of the new house. He's determined not to take any of my hand-me-downs....well, except for 1 bed, 2 night tables, dining room table and chairs (but not the china cabinet or tea cart), and today, the sewing machine. lol

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Oh, my goodness, I am having so much fun painting today.   I did all the taping and started with the trim pieces.  The window trim went well for the first coat.  The door went well for the first coat.   I went back to do another coat on the window and tipped the paint can.  It ran down the side of the dresser and onto the wood floor.   Fortunately, that cleaned up well.   So, started painting again and the brush handle broke off.  Off to find a new brush and discovered that I had stepped in paint and tracked it all the way downstairs.  Another clean up job.  Put the second coat on the window and door trim and decided it was time to take a break from all that fun.  There are limits to even that.

Oh, Debbie! What a day! That would send me to the telephone to hire someone without a doubt! I'm glad that you can see the humour in the situation!

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Sometimes there's not much you can do but laugh.  I decided it was not appropriate to hit the like button on Debbie's post; I can like the way she described it but certainly not what happened.,

Roy

That is one disadvantage of the response buttons here on CC. Sometimes, I ant to LOVE a post, not just like them. It's one thing that FB does well....although I'd love for them to add a 🙄 emoticon as well.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I am so jealous.  We don’t even have garden centres open other than Halifax Seed which doesn’t have live plants.  Beautiful, Ann 😄 

Same here, Jacqui. No greenhouses open. 😞 

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Wow!  Can you imagine what this paint job would look like with an adult beverage thrown in?   😂

No more mishaps after the ones I reported.   I am a messy painter as well.  If you look at me,  you would wonder if any of the paint got on the wall.   Doing the trim is hard, especially the part near the floor.  But, it is coming along.  It is just taking more than usual.  Even with a primer, it is taking several coats.   The walls and ceiling should be quicker.  

And, @rafinmd, I am laughing at it.  Laughter helps more than other reactions.

❤️❤️❤️

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Well, the painting is done for the day.  Tomorrow I need to hit the grocery store and then will probably paint in the afternoon.  We shall see how much fun I want to have.   Ha ha ha 😅

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Good evening to everyone!  I mostly lurk and I hardly ever seem to get to read the Daily in the morning.  I was just going to ask if anyone had seen the wolf moon when I saw Cat Shepherd's picture-beautiful.  I tried taking a picture, but as wonderful as my pictures of sunsets, beaches and glaciers are, my cellphone just doesn't do the moon justice.

It's always great to read everyone's comments, fun times and painting horror stories!  And I love the food and wine and drink.  I keep meaning to go downstairs and pull out some of my old menus from our past cruises and share something exciting.

We had two inches of snow here yesterday, but some peeks of sunshine today (which is why we had clear skies for the full moon).

Take care all, wear those masks, wash your hands, stay distanced, and pray that the virus will eventually be under control (am only a little jealous of all of you who've already gotten the vaccine.)

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

We are sharing the chilly wind, but we had a high of about 3C, and now below zeroC, wind chill -10C.

Roy

Our high for the day was 13 C, 20 degrees less than 3 days ago.!!   Crazy weather.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 3