The Daily for Saturday Jan 30, 2021

richwmn

Been searching for the vaccine but it’s either out of stock or the state is saving it for 70 and above. Can one year really keep me from getting the shot? I guess I just need to stay safe until I can get it. I just feel like getting it is taking a step in the direction of cruising again. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I discovered later in my research that the hotter the chili, the slower they are to germinate and show their sprouts.

I think that holds true after they are planted in the ground. My hottest 🌶 matured last. Funny thing.... my chilies are going crazy right now with all the rain and cold nights we’ve had recently. You would think that the cold weather would kill them but as long as it doesn’t freeze they are fine. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I think I know that one! My DD and SIL live in Taipei and we’ve had extended visits a few time. (Not lately, though.😔) Is that the huge flower market in Taipei that continues across the road into the Jade Market? It’s a similar building, but devoted to semiprecious gemstones, loose, jewelry, and carvings. I could spend a whole day in those two buildings!

That's the one! I went to the Jade Market too but I don't have any pictures of it. I'll post a couple more of the Flower Market tomorrow. I think I did spend most of one day in the two buildings. 

• Like 4

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your lists Roy. Love your food pictures today. 

I think my DM is feeling a teeny tiny bit better today. She sounds so much better on the phone but there is the communication problem because she doesn’t have her hearing aides. My biggest stress today will be calling my brother to tell him all this news. I’m putting it off as long as possible. We don’t have a close relationship. I asked her if it would be okay if he called her and she said no, so that will be difficult to explain to him. 

Our DD is doing okay, but she does have the “brain fog” that is a common symptom. 

We had DH favorite mussels for lunch so tonight will be something easy, not sure what yet. 

Have a great day everyone!!  

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I think that holds true after they are planted in the ground. My hottest 🌶 matured last. Funny thing.... my chilies are going crazy right now with all the rain and cold nights we’ve had recently. You would think that the cold weather would kill them but as long as it doesn’t freeze they are fine. 

Interesting Sharon.  Last fall it was cooling and I was late planting as I hadn’t planned on seeds as we were SUPPOSED to be cruising in April.

Once I realized it wasn’t happening I got to work but I was late.

So, once the fall came I was struggling to try to get the max production out of the chilies.  Like you I found that despite the lack of heat, they kept going.  Maybe once they get to a certain stage they keep going?  Not sure.

But I maxed the production for sure despite the cooler weather which I was SURE would stop them from producing.  DH really liked them.  They were much hotter than they should have been (I didn’t have many choices by the time I ordered).  I am hoping my seed saving will work.  Since we know we can’t go anywhere this spring I am trying 5 different varieties of chilies including the beautiful Black Pearl.  

Time will tell - fingers crossed 🤞 

Of course if they all take - I have a new problem - where do I put them all?  😂 

oops, forgot to say so glad things are improving for you.  👍 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I didn't need snow or ice to break the hip.  I fell going up stairs coming in from the back porch.  Who falls going upstairs?   Seriously?

Whew! I guess I'm not the only one to fall up the stairs. I've done it a number of times, fortunately on carpeted stairs.

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Where we got our shots is a 24/7 drive-thru affair.  We had decided if our second appointment was in the middle of the night, we'd get a motel room.  Luckily, our next appointment is 6:30 pm.

A 24/7 clinic. I would imagine that might be hard to staff. Our shifts here run 10 hours, with check in beginning at 5:45a and ending at 5:30p for workers. ( I believe they don't count the Just In Time training and clean up in the required time. Hope to find out soon.)

• Like 4

Finishing off our 2013 South America trip. I missed posting the past few days. 
Just realized I'm due at church to set up in 15 minutes, so will post the other days later. 😬

January 28, 2013

Montevideo, Uruguay

The warm air was filled with the delicious smells of wood smoke and meat from the barbeques in Montevideo, while we were still several nautical miles offshore and long before we could make out the skyline of the city. Those smells mixed with the peppery smell from Veendam’s teak deck to make an unforgettable fragrance. We needed the assistance of 2 tugs to get docked. They stirred up a lot of brown silt from the Rio Plata, making for interesting watching.

I had signed up for the tour out to Colonia Sacramento, about a 2 hour drive from the port. Our bus took us through a mostly agricultural area, filled with fields of potatoes and hay as well as some vineyards. Colonia was founded in 1680, and was about the earliest site I had been to so far. We met our guide and had a charming walk through the historic district. Lunch, which we preordered to save time, was included in one of the restaurants, and we were told we could have 30 minutes afterward to walk around on our own. It was a full sit-down, 3 course meal, and service was really slow. I cut out after the salad, and went exploring on my own early. J Frankly, I would have been much happier just buying an empanada and ice cream at one of the little concessions and spending my time exploring.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

My biggest stress today will be calling my brother to tell him all this news. I’m putting it off as long as possible. We don’t have a close relationship. I asked her if it would be okay if he called her and she said no, so that will be difficult to explain to him. 

Been there, done that. Unless you live with her and are the one who has to hand her the phone, I would leave that whole topic out of the conversation. It is not your responsibility to be a bumper between the two of them. From experience, it’s also very possible that what she told you and what she tells your brother may be very different. If he wants to call, whatever happens is between HER son and HIS mother, and the staff of wherever she is. Go pour a glass of wine and think of a warm sandy beach somewhere.

Thinking of you and sending you strength.

• Like 10

Well, it was an interesting day.  I think I mentioned at our breakfast that I was booked for a shot Monday at Northwest Hospital and dreading how that might interact with the weather.  After lunch my email indicating there were openings at Howard Community College this afternoon.  I got a confirmation at 12:15 for an appointment at 3:36.  It was quite a zoo.  I left home just after 3 (mapquest says a 6-minute drive), and at 3:10 got into a line that ran over half a mile from the entrance to the college.  At my 3:36 appointment time I was just entering the college complex in a slow line that ran all the way to the gym plus a distance loop around one of the parking lots.  It was 4:30 when I parked and joined a long line outside the gym. I entered the building about 5:30 and things went pretty quickly from there, getting the shot about 5:45 and leaving the gym about 6.  I drove a bit of a circuit going home and at 6:20 there was still at least a half mile line on the street waiting to enter the college.

I think much of the reason it was such a zoo is that they have a lot of doses they were planning to give Monday and Tuesday and decided to give them out ahead of the storm  If they are not used by Tuesday these Pfizer doses will not be useable.  My appointment for the second dose is 2PM 2/20 although the actual appoint time seems to mean nothing.

I would like to think the second shot will be more organized but am bracing for it anyway.  All the people who got the first dose today will need their second shot the same day as me, so it may not be much better.  I do think for the second jab I will plan on walking to the campus which should save me quite a bit of time.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Well, it was an interesting day.  I think I mentioned at our breakfast that I was booked for a shot Monday at Northwest Hospital and dreading how that might interact with the weather.  After lunch my email indicating there were openings at Howard Community College this afternoon.  I got a confirmation at 12:15 for an appointment at 3:36.  It was quite a zoo.  I left home just after 3 (mapquest says a 6-minute drive), and at 3:10 got into a line that ran over half a mile from the entrance to the college.  At my 3:36 appointment time I was just entering the college complex in a slow line that ran all the way to the gym plus a distance loop around one of the parking lots.  It was 4:30 when I parked and joined a long line outside the gym. I entered the building about 5:30 and things went pretty quickly from there, getting the shot about 5:45 and leaving the gym about 6.  I drove a bit of a circuit going home and at 6:20 there was still at least a half mile line on the street waiting to enter the college.

I think much of the reason it was such a zoo is that they have a lot of doses they were planning to give Monday and Tuesday and decided to give them out ahead of the storm  If they are not used by Tuesday these Pfizer doses will not be useable.  My appointment for the second dose is 2PM 2/20 although the actual appoint time seems to mean nothing.

I would like to think the second shot will be more organized but am bracing for it anyway.  All the people who got the first dose today will need their second shot the same day as me, so it may not be much better.  I do think for the second jab I will plan on walking to the campus which should save me quite a bit of time.

Roy, our second appointment for the Pfizer is three weeks and four days from the first shot.  I think three weeks is the minimum time between doses.

I’m glad you got your jab before the storm.

Lenda

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Been there, done that. Unless you live with her and are the one who has to hand her the phone, I would leave that whole topic out of the conversation. It is not your responsibility to be a bumper between the two of them. From experience, it’s also very possible that what she told you and what she tells your brother may be very different. If he wants to call, whatever happens is between HER son and HIS mother, and the staff of wherever she is. Go pour a glass of wine and think of a warm sandy beach somewhere.

Thinking of you and sending you strength.

Great advice. I am going to save these wise words in case they are needed in the future.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Congratulations!  So glad you got the vaccine in spite of the confusion. One down!

• Like 2