Oosterdam

Torquay
Volendam
Zaandam

0202USA.thumb.png.68607984537edcd163f5d60f75e198f7.png

0202Eng.thumb.png.9a8ed318aaa0a8ae29ea3bb0690ee90e.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Candelmas and Groundhog Day Daily. and let's treasure our wetlands.  I love the quote and the meal sounds nice,.  It's a bit of an oddball day with my alternate meal suggestion.  Captain Jeroen had arranged for an Officers Dinner with each table during the Prinsendam Grand South America and Australia voyage and Groundhog Day was our turn.  We had a special menu from our Hotel Director Rene consisting of a special Chicken Soup, a Veal Dish, and Peach Tart and I did not feel it appropriate to take a photo that day.  Shipwide, it was also a Winter Wonderland Celebration, and the penguins were decked out for the celebration, even with a couple of chicks.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/winterpenguins.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

doobieb quarantined until February 5; DD and DGS with Covid

durangoscots hoping for safe travel to her shots

Sharon’s mother and  daughter (but both improving)

Mamaofami’s friend’s final days, but rallying

My fire station office manager with likely covid

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Misschief and e_brick

Occasional posters including Sir PMP

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Captain Werner Timmers

Jab appointments for cat shepard and richwmn

NextOne’s neighbor

Quick refund for Crazy for Cats

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good news.  Shubenacadie Sam calls for an early spring.  No way he was seeing his shadow this morning as it is currently snowing which is going to turn to rain by noon.

Shubenacadie Sam was the first groundhog in North America to make his prediction, about an hour before other groundhogs in Ontario and the eastern United States.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/shubenacadie-sam-calls-for-an-early-spring-1.5291865

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Happy Ground Hog day.  @bdrcole I hope Shubenacadie Sam is right.  We could use an early spring this year.  🤞 With this storm, no ground hog could see his shadow.

08B26478-B153-4F0A-B1A6-0B1C29DE8805.jpeg.4ff38918a00bb4076002e536f71abe93.jpeg

I can’t help but think that we put a lot of weight on the shoulders of the poor groundhogs.

0E769AA4-7347-4B92-9A7B-A3E37C3CCDCA.jpeg.e2f90498098ef112d3a03ad50252fbf4.jpeg

Our Westlands are precious and need to be protected.  LOL on the Dykstra quote.  The meal suggestion sounds good but alas, we have no turkey and I’m not going out in this storm to get some.  We do have chicken though so maybe we’ll give that a shot.

Since the pandemic started it seems we are focusing on food and different menus way too much.

CD95175C-D8D8-4FA7-B826-2FEA96DFA4B6.jpeg.13bd4177d1581d1f790161c26708834a.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing about the drink of the day.  It sure looks like a mini hurricane outside with our ‘Nor Easter.

Hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe and doesn’t lose power. Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Ground hog day everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning all! This may be the earliest I’ve remembered to check in! Happy Groundhog Day! So gloomy here no one is seeing their shadow.

I have good news to share! DH got the vaccine email invite yesterday! He is scheduled for next Monday morning. He’s 81, leukemia survivor, has severe coronary artery disease. I will be so grateful for him to get the vaccine. I have not gotten my invite yet, waiting, waiting. I am 72 and have ALS., so hoping my turn comes soon.

Love reading the food, wine and drink suggestions. After 50+ years of marriage I feel like I’ve cooked it all, so inspiration is always appreciated.

Stay safe all, wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance. Here’s hoping better times are a-coming 🥂

St Louis Sal

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A great combo of days, though I have not heard anyone mention Candlemas since I left high school. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists & the shout out! Morning Dailyites! It’s a bit chilly with the wind here, but nothing like what you folk impacted by the storm are feeling. Stay toasty up there. perhaps a great morning for an Irish coffee.

Hope our Canadian ground hog is right! Love the quote & meal. Looking forward to hearing about the drink of the day.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

All released vintages of this Sicilian red blend have excellent ratings. So you can save a bit, by opting for the 2018 vintage with a price of $44.98. It might need a bit of time to reach its full potential though. I found at least one distributor for the 2016 vintage that offered it for $60.49. The review is for the 2016 vintage. This does sound like something I would enjoy, if I want to splurge.
Winemaker Notes

#9 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The Etna Rosso San Lorenzo comes from 10 acres of vineyards in the town of Randazzo. The vines are more than 70 years old growing on almost pure volcanic sand at an altitude of 2500 feet above sea level. The wine from this cru is particularly rich, fruity and has very soft tannins, making it velvety and voluptuous on the palate.

WS95 Wine Spectator: Ripe black cherry and raspberry fruit meets tarry mineral and accents of licorice, spiced orange peel and herb in this chewy, medium-bodied red. The bold flavor and structure are deftly knit into a graceful and harmonious package, with the spice and mineral character lingering on the finish. Best from 2020 through 2030.

• Like 18

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Groundhog Day everyone; I don't think it matters whether ours is going to see his shadow or not, considering we're entering into another "cold snap" over the next several days.  I'm glad we bought groceries yesterday so we don't have to venture out.  A great quote for today as well.

I have to share a revelation from yesterday regarding our cat, Sochi.  She always follows me from room to room - if I'm in the kitchen, she's there, when I move to the living room, so does she, etc.  It suddenly dawned on me yesterday - I'm her emotional support animal!  LOL

I'd love to make some turkey biscuit stew, but alas, no turkey on hand.  DH was mentioning he'd like salmon patties again, so I'm thinking that's an easy fix along with mashed potatoes and a tomato/cucumber salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of wine @cat shepard, who could resist one described as velvety and voluptuous?  And when you throw in the word "knit" to a knitter, I'm sold!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  How are the arms after your jabs @richwmn and @cat shepard?  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 20

Good morning and thanks for the update.

We have at least 18 inches and it’s still snowing 😱 and oh joy maybe another storm on Sunday.

Having Sloppy Joes tonight with potatoe cakes .  Ham and bean soup for lunch.

Have to motivate myself to think about starting to clean the car. Fortunately I don’t need to drive anywhere.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Stay safe and warm.

• Like 14

Three Canadian Groundhogs have predicted an early spring - Sam (Nova Scotia), Fred (Quebec) and Willie (Ontario).

Phil in the United States disagreed and predicted 6 more weeks of winter.

Let’s hope the Canadian rodents are right 🤞 

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Groundhog Day everyone; I don't think it matters whether ours is going to see his shadow or not, considering we're entering into another "cold snap" over the next several days.  I'm glad we bought groceries yesterday so we don't have to venture out.  A great quote for today as well.

I have to share a revelation from yesterday regarding our cat, Sochi.  She always follows me from room to room - if I'm in the kitchen, she's there, when I move to the living room, so does she, etc.  It suddenly dawned on me yesterday - I'm her emotional support animal!  LOL

I'd love to make some turkey biscuit stew, but alas, no turkey on hand.  DH was mentioning he'd like salmon patties again, so I'm thinking that's an easy fix along with mashed potatoes and a tomato/cucumber salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of wine @cat shepard, who could resist one described as velvety and voluptuous?  And when you throw in the word "knit" to a knitter, I'm sold!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  How are the arms after your jabs @richwmn and @cat shepard?  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I get my first jab tomorrow, and Rich gets his Thursday morning. But since we both shared the good news yesterday, Roy put us on today’s list.

My big dilemma is which arm to get the jab in. Normally I pick my non-dominant arm, but it is still a bit weak from tendonitis caused by Bindi’s first encounter with a local fox.  

• Like 9

Good morning.  It's coooold here.  Had to take my plants in last night because we had a wind chill advisory.  Interesting group of days,  loved the movie Groundhog Day.

The meal sounds wonderful, love anything with biscuits.  And love the quote.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list and shout out to the other one.  Waiting for the email to tell us when we get our second jab, Thursday is the earliest.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hurricane:

Ingredients: Half part Over proofed rum, Lemon juice, One part Dark rum, One part Light rum, Passion fruit syrup
Preparation: Shake the rums, passion fruit syrup, and lemon juice with ice, then pour into the glass and serve over ice.
Served: "On the rocks"; poured over ice
Drinkware: Hurricane glass

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.45.15 AM.png

• Like 17