Government of Canada announces one-year ban for pleasure craft and cruise vessels

YXU AC*SE

I do not know all of the reasons why this was done.

One thing for certain, the scientists and pandemic experts who strongly recommended this approach are much smarter, more knowledgeable , and have far  more insight into  current and potential future covid related issues than me,  posters on this forum,  or  our politicians.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The so-called maritime boundaries and EEZ have been disputed for years.  As for actually going to SP&M there would likely be more issues than simply transiting ‘Canadian waters’.  Can you imagine the hassle of getting the permission of France for a cruise ship to visit, many of the pax don’t even own a passport?

Cruise ships have stopped there before.  Including HAL.  If you are going to the U.S or Canada on the typical cruise you need your passport.  I don’t see a hassle to have a passport. 

You can’t do a New England/Canada cruise without it to my knowledge.

28 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The so-called maritime boundaries and EEZ have been disputed for years.  As for actually going to SP&M there would likely be more issues than simply transiting ‘Canadian waters’.  Can you imagine the hassle of getting the permission of France for a cruise ship to visit, many of the pax don’t even own a passport?

I read something this a.m that France was now requiring its foreign territories to close to tourism so South Pacific, Reunion Island etc .

I assume this island might be included 

15 minutes ago, iancal said:

One thing for certain, the scientists and pandemic experts who strongly recommended this approach are much smarter, more knowledgeable , and have far  more insight into  current and potential future covid related issues than me,  posters on this forum,  or  our politicians.

Any info on the flu?

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you but I guess they have not updated the site yet.

The updated interim order will be gazetted tonight  (ie printed up in the Canada Gazette --  which is the Canadian version of the [US] Federal Register -- http://www.gazette.gc.ca/accueil-home-eng.html )  Once the interim order is officially placed upon the public record, you will see that link update.   

Sadly, the only thing that will change?  

Cessation of Effect
18 This Interim Order ceases to have effect on February 28, 2022.

Scott. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Being vaccinated does not mean that you can’t transmit the virus to someone else. Unfortunately. 

Exactly - it only means that the vaccinated person is unlikely to end up in the hospital or dead from covid.  They can still catch it, and if you catch it you "could" transmit it.  I'm fully vaccinated too, and understand the need to continue the precautions until everyone who wants to be vaccinated can get it.  After that, then it should be back to normal.

Sue

• Like 2

Sad to read this today but expecting it quite frankly.  And this will have a large financial impact to AK, WA, BC, and eastern Canada which will be very difficult for some businesses to survive.  The ripple effect to local economies will hurt.  But bottom line,  the pandemic is not under control,  vaccine rollouts are slow,  and I believe it's the correct decision for Canada.  I hope HAL survives.  I still plan on booking an AK cruise for 2022, but I don't plan on cruising this year.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

On our local news this evening, they said the cancellation of the Alaska cruise season through February next year will affect 15,000 jobs.

Curious if they mentioned whether that number includes jobs in Alaska as well as cruise-line employees or is it just Canada?

8 minutes ago, zelker said:

Curious if they mentioned whether that number includes jobs in Alaska as well as cruise-line employees or is it just Canada?

image.png.eb42cdf9eeca8fbeae58215b3f825c38.png

Sadly, only BC.    Alaska which is the bulk of port stops would be equally as high?   (story mention was from 2020's season closure)     Scott. 

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coronavirus-covid-19-bc-cruise-ships-1.5591091

• Thanks 1

What surprises me about this is how many people seem surprised.  My guess is that the cruise lines certainly are not.   There are some who actually believe that there will be Australian or New Zealand cruises in 2021.  Same perspective I guess.

One did not have to possess ESP, tarot cards, or a Ouija board to see this coming.

Is the there really a feeling among cruisers that during covid  just because a cruise line promotes and takes booking for a cruise that cruise line actually believes the cruise has a chance of happening?????

If so, think back one year ago and what has transpired since then.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, cruisin'teach said:

Hope Canada will reconsider maybe later in Spring or early summer!

By then it will be too late - cruises are already being cancelled clear into September.  It's a done deal for 2021 I'm afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

That was just British Columbia.  I don't know about the rest of Canada or US jobs.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I don’t know how well that one will fly or float rather.  The restriction reads:

Cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters

So, getting into St. Pierre and Miquelon may be a bit dicey but I’ll give you credit for looking at options!

Very dicey considering St. Pierre currently has an outbreak of COVID and that St. Pierre et Miquelon has agreements with Canada for the provision of health care.

Vancouver is also loosing millions of dollars and many, many jobs.  Not good. 

And there is a significant spin off  loss to Victoria and to the Vancouver-Banff/Jasper tourist route.

I have no doubt that this decision was not taken lightly.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, cruisin'teach said:

Seattle lost millions in revenue last year because of the canceled season. Looks like it will happen again. The loss of tax revenue has really affected city and county coffers. Hope Canada will reconsider maybe later in Spring or early summer!

Do you realize that your own CDC has refused any cruise ship to enter or dock at a US port until after Nov. 2021.  Our cruise ship Rotterdam had to be rescheduled in order to adhere to those guidelines....  It will be interesting to see what other changes will happen this year, we might not be able to cruise at all.  All the countries will be affected if this happens...

• Like 4

@zelker and @VictOriann this will not just have a massive impact on just the West Coast but the east coast of Canada as well.  Saint John, Sydney, PEI, Halifax, Newfoundland are all affected to name a few.

I know for sure this is going to hit hard here in Saint John but I think everyone here understands we have to do what we have to do.

let’s hope the vaccination progresses much faster and the order is rescinded but I am doubtful, sadly.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I just posted this quote from the CDC.  This is current information, updated in recent weeks.

We also don’t yet know whether getting a COVID-19 vaccine will prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to other people, even if you don’t get sick yourself. CDC will continue to update this page as we learn more.

What’s the point of the vac then?  This entire experience is so nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, xjust4fun said:

Do you realize that your own CDC has refused any cruise ship to enter or dock at a US port until after Nov. 2021.  Our cruise ship Rotterdam had to be rescheduled in order to adhere to those guidelines....  It will be interesting to see what other changes will happen this year, we might not be able to cruise at all.  All the countries will be affected if this happens...

Not quite.  The CDC has now authorized conditional sailing certifications, once a cruise ship completes proper actions.  The cruise lines are in discussion with the CDC refining their proceedures (according to statements made by multiple members of senior management).  The full ban ended last October.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Or maybe they are not.  There are a lot of doctors who disagree with all of this.  But they are generally silenced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cafedumonde said:

What’s the point of the vac then?  This entire experience is so nuts.

the point of the vaccination (or vac as you call it) is to a) protect you and b) if enough people can be vaccinated then we will achieve herd immunity.

Until that happens, vaccinated or not, your need to wear a mask to protect everyone else.  Let’s put the “me” over “we” please.  keep everyone safe and wear a mask 😷 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cafedumonde said:

Countries do this all the time.  Despite what everyone on here seems to think, I definitely think it’s possible.  

Boy you have a short memory.  We are your neighbour and the best friends you had.  Totally disgusted with this post

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Aardvaark said:

This summer might be a good time to fly to Anchorage or Fairbanks.  Then join a HAL land tour.  Or join one of the several tours operated by Alaskan companies.  Or rent a car and do your own trip.

The US flagged cruise lines might still be an option too. American Cruise Lines gets some pretty good reviews. They’re pricey though.