Mexico could be the new Cruise homeport

seaman11

3 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

I agree that without infrastructure upgrades will handle the number of people and ships that normally sail in the Caribbean. I don't see RCL or NCL making any big investment there since they both just built new terminals in Miami.

The other issue is that if one ship has an outbreak you will probably not be allowed to board a plane until cleared and if you are positive do you really want to chance being admitted to a hospital in Mexico? Also just one ship could easily overrun the hospitals there.

Actually, the CDC just said IF you have a vaccine, even if exposed you don't have to quarantine, so you could come home.  So far the rules are (of course) that you have to have had the vaccine, and it had to be in the last 3 months (I think this will move to 6 months as they learn more).  So, get your vaccine, and fly to Mexico for a cruise or a resort, even if there is an outbreak you are within your right, per the CDC, to just come on home.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/cdc-fully-vaccinated-people-can-skip-travel-quarantines

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Had to chuckle a bit at your last sentence there. The only foreign destination my wife and I could even GO to last year was Mexico. Just about every other place on earth was either closed to Americans or required long quarantines. Mexico didn't do either. I realize this is quite different from Mexico being an embarkation port, but it made me laugh. Mexico has fared extremely well during these trying times.

Yea, they better than the US. I was talking more along dealing with their businesses. It can be really tough at times. My wife and I are headed Vegas for 5 nights in Vegas. You can't be the rates, no shows, will spend our time at the state and national parks in the area.

On 2/11/2021 at 12:20 PM, Laszlo said:

Interesting about teachers, FYI I live in PA. Private schools are mostly open for in person teaching 4/5 days a week, most public are in person 1 or 2 days a week. My son is a teacher in Arlington Va. He has been teaching from home all of 2020 and 21 so far. They are hoping to get back in the classroom (teachers) by mid March. However kids will only be in there part time. I care about cruising and we enjoy it. However I've read 100's of post about people having their dreams crushed, cruise and cruise cancelled, cursing the cruise lines likes it their fault....I'm sure you have read similar. They are the people who need to have a reality check.

They have no idea here in PA when theaters will open up. Will agree to disagree on Mexico, I know all too well how things operate there. 

In Ohio our governor was very focused on getting schools back in session and it backfired. In areas where school districts agreed to return to in person classes, he moved teachers up to 1b for vaccinations. They vaccinated all the teachers and now the teachers/schools are refusing to return to in person classes....

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 11:19 PM, rhblake said:

My question is: Can they resupply several ships, assume 5 per week, every week with food for approx. 15,000 guests and 5,000 crew? I don't see that happening without significant investment in infrastructure and by the time the infrastructure is in place do you think the cruise lines would continue to use those facilities once Florida opens up again? Maybe.

You maybe surprised to learn that they have already been doing exactly that for many years.

Most cruisers do not realize that for many years, the CDC has required all cruise lines calling at US ports to purchase all their protein food items from US Certified vendors. US Certified vendors exist only in the USA. So for all these years, whenever a cruise ship re-supplies in a home port turnaround, all the food items loaded onboard have just come from shipping containers that were delivered via truck, barge, ship, or (occasionally) airplane from the USA. Even though the CDC requires only protein food items to be purchased from the USA, the cruise lines have found it easier to consolidate the food purchases - and often times the beverage purchases as well - and ship them all together from the USA.  

When my ship is home-ported in Coast Rica each Winter, our “home port” is an old fishing pier that does not even have a building on it. Our guests check in under a tree on shore. But before they check in, the food and beverage containers from the USA have already arrived, and the contents are being loaded onboard. Since we are not in the USA, we do not have to put up with the American Union Stevedores, who are ridiculously expensive and generally do a terrible job.

We re-fuel in at one of our port calls in Panama, where the price of fuel is lower than in the USA. Most of our potable water is made onboard, but we occasionally bunker water in Panama or Aruba - both of which are less expensive than at US ports.

Edited by Donald
  • Thanks 1

Went to Mexico a couple of months ago (spending that canceled cruise cash.)  No issues coming back into the USA.

Cancun is a great idea.  Flights are not that expensive.  I'm only worried about it being cartel-controlled. But even flying to the west coast, Ensenada, is fairly cheap, and the infrastructure is already there.  Or fly to San Diego and walk over to the bus (can't walk back, though; must be a flight).  Or Miami to Aruba is less than $300.

Interesting topic!

23 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Bloggers with videos about the latest cruise news.  So I guess they are vloggers.  Either way, they are providing news about cruising.  I guess I don't understand your point.

My point is they are quizzing to try and get some credibility as they have a vested interest in the restart. They are not news and never will be. As we say in the UK "they are away with the fairies". They do not provide news they provide speculation.

I can tell you there will no return to UK before June 2021 - We have quarantine now and Europe can simply not allow the spread. remember most airports are very restricted in Europe with entry.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:14 PM, Incognito1 said:

Went to Mexico a couple of months ago (spending that canceled cruise cash.)  No issues coming back into the USA.

Cancun is a great idea.  Flights are not that expensive.  I'm only worried about it being cartel-controlled. But even flying to the west coast, Ensenada, is fairly cheap, and the infrastructure is already there.  Or fly to San Diego and walk over to the bus (can't walk back, though; must be a flight).  Or Miami to Aruba is less than $300.

Interesting topic!

I wouldnt worry about the cartels. Iv had no problems in Mexico, of course i dont go looking for trouble at 2am either.   This is going to have to happen , it seems the CDC is taking their sweet time for the guidance.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 6:34 PM, sanger727 said:

In Ohio our governor was very focused on getting schools back in session and it backfired. In areas where school districts agreed to return to in person classes, he moved teachers up to 1b for vaccinations. They vaccinated all the teachers and now the teachers/schools are refusing to return to in person classes....

My area south of Atlanta has been in person since fall, all is well...