Mexico could be the new Cruise homeport

seaman11

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Realist.......😉

I've learned my lesson about using strong words like "never." I've been proven wrong WAY too many times! (You didn't say it, but I do remember seeing people last year say there would be NO cruising AT ALL in 2020). When the MSC Grandiosa started sailing back in August, those people, oddly, didn't come back to say they were wrong. Imagine my surprise! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I've learned my lesson about using strong words like "never." I've been proven wrong WAY too many times! (You didn't say it, but I do remember seeing people last year say there would be NO cruising AT ALL in 2020). When the MSC Grandiosa started sailing back in August, those people, oddly, didn't come back to say they were wrong. Imagine my surprise! 😉

I remember people saying cruising would return in a month, then it was three, then late summer, then the fall, then the winter.......You point? I always said it would be 12-18 months if were lucky. We can't get teachers back in school, restaurants, movies open, you think most of the population is worried about cruising? Lol. Some people seem to live and die by cruise credit, that facts is the people who post here are a tiny tiny % of the population around the world

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rhblake said:

My question is: Can they resupply several ships, assume 5 per week, every week with food for approx. 15,000 guests and 5,000 crew? I don't see that happening without significant investment in infrastructure and by the time the infrastructure is in place do you think the cruise lines would continue to use those facilities once Florida opens up again? Maybe.

Yes, they absolutely have the food to supply 20,000 people for a week every week. Especially now when visits to resorts are down (and then they can ramp up).  Cancun is a major tourist hub; CUN can handle 150,000 visitors every week.

But also, I don't think they invest in the port infrastructure unless they get a long-term commitment from the cruise lines.  So ultimately, it's going to be up to the Lines, if they want to invest in Mexico or not.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 11:19 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sign me up.  Although I just watched a cruise news update with Ben & David and they said that Carnival, at least is considering a reservation system for all venues on board.  You'd basically have to plan everything in advance.  If all lines follow suit, then I'd pass.  I cruise....eh hem, I mean I used to cruise so I don't have to plan...

Ben and David are not news the are bloggers 

8 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I remember people saying cruising would return in a month, then it was three, then late summer, then the fall, then the winter.......

Seaman, but he has entertained us and most have grown to love him!! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 7:53 AM, rhblake said:

Does Mexico have the ability to resupply and refuel several cruise ships?

You do not have to provide any fuel or provisions at your starting port.  A cruise ship needs several containers of frozen and dry goods delivered every week or so.  And fuel on about the same schedule.  And you need fresh lettuce, fruit, etc.   So any day long stop at a port with a dock and access to containers on the route is all you need and of course lettuce is available down there.    Most islands and mainland Mexico have container ports and or rail/truck access so you are good. 

Edited by ew101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ew101 said:

You do not have to provide any fuel or provisions at your starting port.  A cruise ship needs a lot of containers of frozen and dry goods every week or so.  And you need fresh lettuce, fruit, etc.   So any day long stop at a port with a dock and access to containers on the route is all you need and of course lettuce is available down there.    Most islands and mainland Mexico have container ports so you are good.  

I didn’t realize lettuce was so critical. 

4 minutes ago, OzCanuck said:

I didn’t realize lettuce was so critical. 

Limes are actually more important, yes, to prevent scurvy.   We were in Key West and there was a rumor the ship was low on limes.  They could not run out and buy some, the story went, due to food safety and sanitation regulations.  

Edited by ew101
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ew101 said:

Limes are actually more important, yes to prevent scurvy.  

So, what you’re saying is that with lettuce, limes and the ready availability of tequila we’ll eat well, avoid scurvy and fight off depression?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ew101 said:

Limes are actually more important, yes, to prevent scurvy.   We were in Key West and there was a rumor the ship was low on limes.  They could not run out and buy some, the story went, due to food safety and sanitation regulations.  

Would the cruise lines have to follow US regulations if the foreign flagged ships were not stopping at any American ports?

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

So, what you’re saying is that with lettuce, limes and the ready availability of tequila we’ll eat well, avoid scurvy and fight off depression?

Years ago I would charter sailboats in the BVIs and St Martin.  The refrigerators in those days were dodgy.  So you had to rely on things that did not require ice or spoil.  Rum, limes and red wine.  You could open cans of tomato sauce and boil pasta or dine on fish on shore.   Nutmeg for Painkillers was safe.  Of course in Mexican waters you need to adapt.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

Would the cruise lines have to follow US regulations if the foreign flagged ships were not stopping at any American ports?

Nope.  (Chengkp is of course the expert here).  P&O has a winter base in Barbados.  They are not on the phone with US authorities over every decision.  You can escape US rules but we have proved not COVID-19, deaths or lawsuits if you get an outbreak aboard.  

Edited by ew101

23 minutes ago, ew101 said:

You can develop scurvy on a 7 day cruise?  Who knew?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I remember people saying cruising would return in a month, then it was three, then late summer, then the fall, then the winter.......You point? I always said it would be 12-18 months if were lucky. We can't get teachers back in school, restaurants, movies open, you think most of the population is worried about cruising? Lol. Some people seem to live and die by cruise credit, that facts is the people who post here are a tiny tiny % of the population around the world

Since you hold cruising in such disdain, why exactly are you here, then? You don't seem to give a darn about if cruising ever comes back. Maybe this isn't the site for you. I think the rest of us *do* care about the cruising industry and are anxious to see its return, whenever that might be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Since you hold cruising in such disdain, why exactly are you here, then? You don't seem to give a darn about if cruising ever comes back. Maybe this isn't the site for you. I think the rest of us *do* care about the cruising industry and are anxious to see its return, whenever that might be.

Once again just being realistic, cruising will come back, but not for a while. I don't hope, or keep my fingers crossed cruising will return in April or May. It returns when the virus is under control

14 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I can understand the frustration.

I guess we were reacting in real time as what we were told kept changing and getting pushed out.  IMO, not all was based on the virus and the response, it snowballed and even continued into the vaccination phase, which also we were to believe would the light at the end of the tunnel (which now looks like we'll still be wearing double masks, social distancing, etc. and group or crowd activities, unfortunately and especially cruising, will be subject to the "cause to remove" Great Reset).

It does look like, at 18 months, we will still be another 6-9 months away from whatever the new protocols on revenue cruising as we know it.

Re: teachers back, most are, in one form or another; except for some really demographic teacher union resistance areas.  Here is a state by state site for updates.  Just hover over a state.  There are many states which, after an initial shutdown on the virus outset, returned to school.

https://*****/3rPboQN

Or this one.  🙄

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/map-where-are-schools-closed/2020/07?s_kwcid=AL!6416!3!486544088589!b!!g!!&utm_source=goog&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ew+dynamic+recent &ccid=dynamic+ads+recent+articles&ccag=recent+articles+dynamic&cckw=&cccv=dynamic+ad&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv62x2pLi7gIVD7SzCh0B8wH8EAAYASAAEgIWT_D_BwE

Re: restaurants, etc., it is a state by state, and even county or city intra-state, matter.  Many states are quite open, others are quite locked down.

Re: % of population cruisers.  Yep.  That doesn't mean that cruising shouldn't be allowed to those who choose to under the new, upcoming conditions and protocols.  IMO, it will not be from the US ports for quite a bit longer than non-US ports.  Too much political science, or lack, manipulation and selective application at hand.

Hope you hope again.  Good luck.  👍

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Once again just being realistic, cruising will come back, but not for a while. I don't hope, or keep my fingers crossed cruising will return in April or May. It returns when the virus is under control

Well, you *DO* understand that there's not just ONE definition of being realistic, don't you?

Your definition includes things like Mexico never being a port of departure. I don't think that's realistic, in fact it's actually very pessimistic. I'm also a realist, but I see developments around the world in terms of vaccines and that is encouraging. I must also take issue with what you said about not getting teachers back in school, restaurants reopening, movies, etc. I don't know where you live, but I can tell you that schools are going back to in-person classes in a couple of weeks. Most of our restaurants and movie theaters have reopened. Maybe things are different where you are. Lastly, you mentioned something about the vast majority of the world not caring about the cruise industry. And you're right. But this site isn't for the general public, it's for cruise enthusiasts. If you don't care about cruising, that's your right, but remember the audience you're talking to here. We aren't just regular citizens who don't care about cruising. It'd be like me signing up for a forum for bar owners and then saying "who cares about bars?"

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well, you *DO* understand that there's not just ONE definition of being realistic, don't you?

Your definition includes things like Mexico never being a port of departure. I don't think that's realistic, in fact it's actually very pessimistic. I'm also a realist, but I see developments around the world in terms of vaccines and that is encouraging. I must also take issue with what you said about not getting teachers back in school, restaurants reopening, movies, etc. I don't know where you live, but I can tell you that schools are going back to in-person classes in a couple of weeks. Most of our restaurants and movie theaters have reopened. Maybe things are different where you are. Lastly, you mentioned something about the vast majority of the world not caring about the cruise industry. And you're right. But this site isn't for the general public, it's for cruise enthusiasts. If you don't care about cruising, that's your right, but remember the audience you're talking to here. We aren't just regular citizens who don't care about cruising. It'd be like me signing up for a forum for bar owners and then saying "who cares about bars?"

Interesting about teachers, FYI I live in PA. Private schools are mostly open for in person teaching 4/5 days a week, most public are in person 1 or 2 days a week. My son is a teacher in Arlington Va. He has been teaching from home all of 2020 and 21 so far. They are hoping to get back in the classroom (teachers) by mid March. However kids will only be in there part time. I care about cruising and we enjoy it. However I've read 100's of post about people having their dreams crushed, cruise and cruise cancelled, cursing the cruise lines likes it their fault....I'm sure you have read similar. They are the people who need to have a reality check.

They have no idea here in PA when theaters will open up. Will agree to disagree on Mexico, I know all too well how things operate there. 

Edited by Laszlo

21 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Interesting about teachers, FYI I live in PA. Private schools are mostly open for in person teaching 4/5 days a week, most public are in person 1 or 2 days a week. My son is a teacher in Arlington Va. He has been teaching from home all of 2020 and 21 so far. They are hoping to get back in the classroom (teachers) by mid March. However kids will only be in there part time. I care about cruising and we enjoy it. However I've read 100's of post about people having their dreams crushed, cruise and cruise cancelled, cursing the cruise lines likes it their fault....I'm sure you have read similar. They are the people who need to have a reality check.

They have no idea here in PA when theaters will open up. Will agree to disagree on Mexico, I know all too well how things operate there. 

Had to chuckle a bit at your last sentence there. The only foreign destination my wife and I could even GO to last year was Mexico. Just about every other place on earth was either closed to Americans or required long quarantines. Mexico didn't do either. I realize this is quite different from Mexico being an embarkation port, but it made me laugh. Mexico has fared extremely well during these trying times.

Edited by DCGuy64
fixed a word
  • Like 1

I agree that without infrastructure upgrades will handle the number of people and ships that normally sail in the Caribbean. I don't see RCL or NCL making any big investment there since they both just built new terminals in Miami.

The other issue is that if one ship has an outbreak you will probably not be allowed to board a plane until cleared and if you are positive do you really want to chance being admitted to a hospital in Mexico? Also just one ship could easily overrun the hospitals there.