NCL extend suspension

GUT2407

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I'm self funded and applied for and received a Health care card last year (just scraped in on taxable income). Have not received any government hand outs.

If you have a Health Care card and a senior you should qualify for the CSHCC.

Like you I had a HC in December but no Govt cash benefit. Have since applied and received the CSHCC for wife and self so hope to receive the March payment. We are self funded retirees.

30 minutes ago, bazshirl2 said:

Like you I had a HC in December but no Govt cash benefit. Have since applied and received the CSHCC for wife and self so hope to receive the March payment. We are self funded retirees.

The cash benefit was two lots of $750 during last year (in March and July), then $250 in November and again later this month.

1 hour ago, bazshirl2 said:

Health Care Card? Never heard of it. Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, CSHCC you mean. That is income stream tested, 55k for singles, 89k for couples. I am single now and on an income stream in excess of 55k, so ineligble. So I get none of Scomos handouts and have to pay full price for medications, none of the $6.50 stuff, despite me being nearly 73 and paying taxes since I was 18 through to 60. Had my rant.

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Health Care Card? Never heard of it. Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, CSHCC you mean. That is income stream tested, 55k for singles, 89k for couples. I am single now and on an income stream in excess of 55k, so ineligble. So I get none of Scomos handouts and have to pay full price for medications, none of the $6.50 stuff, despite me being nearly 73 and paying taxes since I was 18 through to 60. Had my rant.

Maybe bazshirl2 meant the 'Low Income Earners Health Care Card'. I don't think you would qualify for that. I think the income level would be the same as for the CSHCC.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 7:58 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe bazshirl2 meant the 'Low Income Earners Health Care Card'. I don't think you would qualify for that. I think the income level would be the same as for the CSHCC.

Yes, you are correct. If lyndarra's HCC related to low income and was a senior they should be entitled to the CSHCC.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:39 AM, lyndarra said:

I'm self funded and applied for and received a Health care card last year (just scraped in on taxable income). Have not received any government hand outs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazshirl2 said:

Yes, you are correct. If lyndarra's HCC related to low income and was a senior they should be entitled to the CSHCC.

Mine is a CSHCC.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 7:39 AM, lyndarra said:

You mentioned in your later post that the Health care card you mentioned is the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card. You should have received the government payments to card holders. It goes directly into the person's bank account. If you haven't received these payments (two last year of $750 each and  one of $250 in November with another one to come) I suggest you follow it up.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

You mentioned in your later post that the Health care card you mentioned is the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card. You should have received the government payments to card holders. It goes directly into the person's bank account. If you haven't received these payments (two last year of $750 each and so far this year, one of $250) I suggest you follow it up.

I didn't know there were different kinds of cards. I got mine out of my wallet this morning to check. Not desperate for the money.

Just now, lyndarra said:

I didn't know there were different kinds of cards. I got mine out of my wallet this morning to check. Not desperate for the money.

The Low Income-earners Health Care Card does not have an age limit, nor an assets limit. It is assessed purely on income. It has similar benefits re lower priced medications etc. to the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card that only applies from pension age. It is also assessed on income. The question of whether superannuation accounts are assessed (or deemed) or not depends on the type of account and the date it was purchased.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Low Income-earners Health Care Card does not have an age limit, nor an assets limit. It is assessed purely on income. It has similar benefits re lower priced medications etc. to the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card that only applies from pension age. It is also assessed on income. The question of whether superannuation accounts are assessed (or deemed) or not depends on the type of account and the date it was purchased.

I believe mine was assessed on taxable income which, for me, does not include my State Super Fund (which now has a silly name) annuity payments.

On 2/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, possum52 said:

My super company is the Emergency Services and State Super (Vic). I have an retirement income stream which means I receive a certain amount each fortnight. When I'm gone, the income stream payments will go to my husband, then children.

Leigh

Really, my one (once accessed) will go to my spouse and hers to me but not to children.

53 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Really, my one (once accessed) will go to my spouse and hers to me but not to children.

Leighs must be an invested lump sum to continue on to kids. If she can control what she she gets say fortnightly it is not defined benefit. This is why so many ‘self funded retirees

also get part centrelink aged pension or commonwealth seniors health care card, they can say draw 30k a year and still get govt handouts etc. leaving their lump sump invested, subject to super planners or super fund  charges.

No way could I live on 30k a year. 

Edited by NSWP

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Dont know about them, lump sums, not defined benefits.

With both of our superannuation accounts, we could have taken a lump sum but we chose to leave our super with QSuper. Mine is still in an Accumulation Account (it isn't an enormous amount). My husband switched over to a pension type account several years ago. The government sets a minimum and maximum percentage he can take each year as a pension. The balance remains in his name with QSuper and remains as an asset.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

With both of our superannuation accounts, we could have taken a lump sum but we chose to leave our super with QSuper. Mine is still in an Accumulation Account (it isn't an enormous amount). My husband switched over to a pension type account several years ago. The government sets a minimum and maximum percentage he can take each year as a pension. The balance remains in his name with QSuper and remains as an asset.

Understand, the lump sum is still there. I retired at 55 after 36 yrs service as an Inspector on a lifetime pension, 85% of my final salary indexed to cpi and non taxable after 60 yrs of age. i got mine increased from normal 75% to 85%, too many injuries, shot at,  stabbed and faced many angry men. More than most soldiers. I will not starve.

42 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Understand, the lump sum is still there. I retired at 55 after 36 yrs service as an Inspector on a lifetime pension, 85% of my final salary indexed to cpi and non taxable after 60 yrs of age. i got mine increased from normal 75% to 85%, too many injuries, shot at,  stabbed and faced many angry men. More than most soldiers. I will not starve.

You are doing quite well. Maybe you can afford the WC. 😁

Just now, NSWP said:

No, too much going out the door supporting family.  Dont want to elaborate,🥵

OK. that's good. We have also helped family, particularly our daughter when her husband became disabled at age 38. They had 2.5 children and a mortgage at the time. He is somewhat better after more than two years, but still cannot work and won't ever be able to hold down a job.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Leighs must be an invested lump sum to continue on to kids. If she can control what she she gets say fortnightly it is not defined benefit. This is why so many ‘self funded retirees

also get part centrelink aged pension or commonwealth seniors health care card, they can say draw 30k a year and still get govt handouts etc. leaving their lump sump invested, subject to super planners or super fund  charges.

No way could I live on 30k a year. 

Sorry, I realised I had not worded my post very well. If I pass away before my husband, he is the beneficiary of the balance of my super account. If he passes away before me, our children will be the beneficiaries. 

Leigh