NCL extend suspension

GUT2407

28 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Seems they have started repatriating crew members.

Not a short term approach.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-makes-difficult-decision-on-crew-members/46409

28 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Seems they have started repatriating crew members.

Not a short term approach.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-makes-difficult-decision-on-crew-members/46409

Which proably means NCL does not have to pay them. Let us hope 2022 gives the ships and crews some hope. What worries me is, so many Aussies and Kiwis booked on Coral Princess end of this year and next year, inc Worldie in May 2022.The question is, will the ship get here, will she be allowed here.?  Some Aussie couples are paying $100,000 for the Worldie fare, that is just the fare.

Now, going to cop some here, Over the years I have read on some of these world cruise roll call sites of Aussie pensioners doing 2, 3 or 4, worldies and they are worrying about their pension being cut because of being 3 or 4 months away. I ask the question how does a pensioner couple on 26k a year afford 100k on the cruise plus, shorex, drinks, so all up, 130k minimum. I could not afford it and i get no govt pension, healthcare card etc as am a self funded retiree and paid into a super fund for 36 yrs, so as not to live off the govt in retirement. Standby for incoming.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Which proably means NCL does not have to pay them. Let us hope 2022 gives the ships and crews some hope. What worries me is, so many Aussies and Kiwis booked on Coral Princess end of this year and next year, inc Worldie in May 2022.The question is, will the ship get here, will she be allowed here.?  Some Aussie couples are paying $100,000 for the Worldie fare, that is just the fare.

Now, going to cop some here, Over the years I have read on some of these world cruise roll call sites of Aussie pensioners doing 2, 3 or 4, worldies and they are worrying about their pension being cut because of being 3 or 4 months away. I ask the question how does a pensioner couple on 26k a year afford 100k on the cruise plus, shorex, drinks, so all up, 130k minimum. I could not afford it and i get no govt pension, healthcare card etc as am a self funded retiree and paid into a super fund for 36 yrs, so as not to live off the govt in retirement. Standby for incoming.

Maybe a pensioner who goes on the WC is using some of their investments. 

BTW, we are also self-funded retirees. I am glad that we didn't miss out on the government hand-outs lately. In the past, we have often missed out.

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe a pensioner who goes on the WC is using some of their investments. 

BTW, we are also self-funded retirees. I am glad that we didn't miss out on the government hand-outs lately. In the past, we have often missed out.

You must have a commonwealth seniors health care card then to get the recent govt monies. I dont have that card, ineligble, so missed out on the govt largesse. Yes well the pensioners must have a lot of money sqirreled away to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on World cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You must have a commonwealth seniors health care card then to get the recent govt monies. I dont have that card, ineligble, so missed out on the govt largesse. Yes well the pensioners must have a lot of money sqirreled away to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on World cruises.

I'm self funded and applied for and received a Health care card last year (just scraped in on taxable income). Have not received any government hand outs.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes. We have had the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card for many years.😁 Our assets are not assessed, only income that comes partly from investments (Taxable income) and partly from super.

28 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I'm self funded and applied for and received a Health care card last year (just scraped in on taxable income). Have not received any government hand outs.

Holders of the Commonwealth Health Card received the government payments directly into their bank accounts. We both received them 😁 although I feel the government should not have spent money this way. We didn't send our money back as it is a drop in the proverbial ocean in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

I had the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, but when my wife passed away in May last year, it was taken away, as no split income anymore, my defined benefit pension from State Super was our only income, My wife had no income of her own.  The Threshold to qualify for a CSHCC is around $55,000 max income stream for a single person like me and around $89,000 max total for couples.

Of course on a defined benefit pension one cannot control the amount of $ paid to you each fortnight, it just arrives.🤑 And the relevant authorities are linked and know exactly how much you get, that is why 3 days after my wife died they cancelled my CSHCC. Along with other discounts we got.

Such is life. But I don't like paying the big bucks for the stay alive pills.😬

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

If you have the CSHCC you should have received ScoMos hand outs. Contact Centrelink.

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I had the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, but when my wife passed away in May last year, it was taken away, as no split income anymore, my defined benefit pension from State Super was our only income, My wife had no income of her own.  The Threshold to qualify for a CSHCC is around $55,000 max income stream for a single person like me and around $89,000 max total for couples.

Of course on a defined benefit pension one cannot control the amount of $ paid to you each fortnight, it just arrives.🤑 And the relevant authorities are linked and know exactly how much you get, that is why 3 days after my wife died they cancelled my CSHCC. Along with other discounts we got.

Such is life. But I don't like paying the big bucks for the stay alive pills.😬

We both have super, but not a defined benefit. Therefore, we can nominate the amount we receive as a 'pension'. It comes out of our own money and what is left at the end, forms part of our individual estate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We both have super, but not a defined benefit. Therefore, we can nominate the amount we receive as a 'pension'. It comes out of our own money and what is left at the end, forms part of our individual estate.

And that's the difference between mine and yours, you can control the amount you get, I cannot.  My super pension dies with me, but I have been drawing it for nearly 18 yrs as I retired @ 55. The Police Superannuation Scheme allowed that then. If I had died before my wife, she would have received 69% of what I get and it would have died with her.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And that's the difference between mine and yours, you can control the amount you get, I cannot.  My super pension dies with me, but I have been drawing it for nearly 18 yrs as I retired @ 55. The Police Superannuation Scheme allowed that then. If I had died before my wife, she would have received 69% of what I get and it would have died with her.

The one attraction to becoming a judge is the pension, if you live ling enough to enjoy it. Which many don’t.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The one attraction to becoming a judge is the pension, if you live ling enough to enjoy it. Which many don’t.

All those defined benefit pension schemes are now closed up Gut, even the pollies and public service - judges ones. Other than to those still in it. i.e. the police one closed in 1988 except for those in it, i.e. like me, paying into it from 1967 to 2003. Mine was a compulsory scheme from day 1,  they deducted 6% of your salary each fortnight.

Edited by NSWP

Many pensioners are asset rich but cash poor, and most of their assets do not count under the assets test as it is the family home.

i.e They may have a million or more home in the city but not much else., they cannot realise anything from that asset unless they change their circumstance and downsize or take out a reverse mortgage.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Many pensioners are asset rich but cash poor, and most of their assets do not count under the assets test as it is the family home.

i.e They may have a million or more home in the city but not much else., they cannot realise anything from that asset unless they change their circumstance and downsize or take out a reverse mortgage.

Correct Mic. I think some are doing reverse mortgage to pay for the World Cruise(s) or have a spare 500K hidden under the bed that Centrelink don't know about, lol.

If there is a price drop on one of the Coral Princess 2022 Worldie Sectors that appeals to me, I will jump on board, I am hovering in the wings, ready to pounce.

There are cabins still for sale on most sectors, albeit with gty cabin, that does not worry me too much. No way the whole cruise, 107 days, way tooo expensive and toooo looong for me.

But at the end of the day if the new Covid policies on Princess are too tight and not to my liking, I will can the whole idea, it will not make for comfortable or pleasant cruising.

Edited by NSWP

55 minutes ago, NSWP said:

All those defined benefit pension schemes are now closed up Gut, even the pollies and public service - judges ones. Other than to those still in it. i.e. the police one closed in 1988 except for those in it, i.e. like me, paying into it from 1967 to 2003. Mine was a compulsory scheme from day 1,  they deducted 6% of your salary each fortnight.

A few judges ones are still under defined benefits.

45 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A few judges ones are still under defined benefits.

But not open to new judges, as I said those who were in the old system before the cut off date stay in it and reap the benefits. Those who join post cut off date get lump sums and have to manage it them selves.

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But not open to new judges, as I said those who were in the old system before the cut off date stay in it and reap the benefits. Those who join post cut off date get lump sums and have to manage it them selves.

One of our sons works for the Queensland Public Service. He is in the defined benefit plan, but still working. My husband and I didn't take lump sum payouts of super, but left it in QSuper for them to manage. It has done very well over the years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Still open to federal judges.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Correct Mic. I think some are doing reverse mortgage to pay for the World Cruise(s) or have a spare 500K hidden under the bed that Centrelink don't know about, lol.

If there is a price drop on one of the Coral Princess 2022 Worldie Sectors that appeals to me, I will jump on board, I am hovering in the wings, ready to pounce.

There are cabins still for sale on most sectors, albeit with gty cabin, that does not worry me too much. No way the whole cruise, 107 days, way tooo expensive and toooo looong for me.

But at the end of the day if the new Covid policies on Princess are too tight and not to my liking, I will can the whole idea, it will not make for comfortable or pleasant cruising.

The 2023 World cruise on Coral goes on sale on the 2 March for Elites.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

My super company is the Emergency Services and State Super (Vic). I have an retirement income stream which means I receive a certain amount each fortnight. When I'm gone, the income stream payments will go to my husband, then children.

Leigh