Hawaiian Cruises

larry_s_taco

I know there is a lot of discussion about cancelation of Alaskan cruises this year, but has anyone heard anything about Hawaiian cruises from the west coast?

If they are only allowing 7 day cruises, I suppose that will rule out any Hawaiian cruises from the west coast as well. 

Yes because that’s not enough time for a round-trip voyage to to Hawaii and back to the West Coast.

To make ia one-way cruise the PVsA requires that the ship visit a distant foreign port, and there isn’t any district foreign port in that area for it to visit.

The first cruises X shows to or from Hawaii are in 2022 for new bookings. I don't know what's going on with any existing bookings.

All of the same issues with Alaska cruises apply to Hawaii cruises. The two in 2022 (one each way) either begin in Vancouver or end there. That avoids all the "coastwise transportation" issues, and the immigration and visa issues. And is probably more interesting to most than ending in Mexico just south of San Diego (and busing across the border...).

And as Alakegirl just posted, you'd need a longer cruise time for a round trip, which would still need a foreign stop under the PVSA and to deal with the immigration issues (unless they hired a US crew...).

33 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Yes because that’s not enough time for a round-trip voyage to to Hawaii and back to the West Coast.

To make ia one-way cruise the PVsA requires that the ship visit a distant foreign port, and there isn’t any district foreign port in that area for it to visit.

They could technically do what Celebrity did a few years ago  Ensenada to/from Honolulu one way trips.  It did mean a bus ride between San Diego and Ensenada. The route did not last long.

6 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

But i am sure that took more than 7 days, didn’t it Jelayne?

Yes, it is a 15 day  trip.  We've done it a couple of times back then.  Loved it.  I keep lobbying Celebrity to bring this itinerary back, it appeared to be always sold out, but no luck.

43 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In 2019 we did a Hawaii r/t on Celebrity.  Cruise departed from LA and returned to San Diego with a port stop in Ensenada. So the dreaded bus ride wasn’t involved.

Technically you could not have boarded in LA to Hawaii and disembark in  San Diego.  That would violate PVSA. Something is missing here.

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

They said they stopped in Mexico

Under the PVSA, a cruise that starts in one US city and finishes at a different US city must stop at a distant foreign port. Ensenada doesn't qualify. A return cruise from/to the same US port is permitted with a visit to any foreign port.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Under the PVSA, a cruise that starts in one US city and finishes at a different US city must stop at a distant foreign port. Ensenada doesn't qualify. A return cruise from/to the same US port is permitted with a visit to any foreign port.

OK got it...thx

• Like 1

In thinking about it we did a B2B and started  1st leg in LA to Hawaii r/t last day was a stop in Ensenada and  I think we may have ended in LA.  2nd leg was from LA up the Pacific coast to San Francisco and again the last stop was Ensenada  before ending in San Diego. We did not to into Canada on the 2nd leg.  

Sorry for the confusion.  4 days of constant Power outages, no water (substituting wine)  and frigid temps seemed to have addled my memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In thinking about it we did a B2B and started  1st leg in LA to Hawaii r/t last day was a stop in Ensenada and  I think we may have ended in LA.  2nd leg was from LA up the Pacific coast to San Francisco and again the last stop was Ensenada  before ending in San Diego. We did not to into Canada on the 2nd leg.  

Sorry for the confusion.  4 days of constant Power outages, no water (substituting wine)  and frigid temps seemed to have addled my memory.

I know this isn't about Hawaii, Jelayne but we have been wondering how you were making out in Texas.  The news is awful.  Take care and be safe.

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That still would not work because it would still have you going from LA to San Diego.  Again something is missing. The second leg would not even have been a legal cruise.

1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

I know this isn't about Hawaii, Jelayne but we have been wondering how you were making out in Texas.  The news is awful.  Take care and be safe.

Thanks!  It’s been crazy.  We live on a lake that people were fishing on 1 week ago and now it is frozen. Weather should warm up tomorrow, in our area power is becoming more consistent and hopefully with warmer temps pipes to supply water to the tanks will thaw (and not break).  As water is being restored the state is under a boil water order - that should add a new wrinkle to live. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nocl said:

That still would not work because it would still have you going from LA to San Diego.  Again something is missing. The second leg would not even have been a legal cruise.

Yes that has already been pointed out

15 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

Hawaii cruises used to go to Fanning Island to meet the foreign port rule...wonder what happened to that.

Some cruises that went on from Hawaii to the South Pacific might have visited Fanning Island, which lies about 1,000 miles to the South of Hawaii, but I wasn't aware of US-Hawaii or Hawaii-US cruises visiting Fanning Island to meet the requirements of the PVSA. That would add a huge amount of time to a cruise.

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I must be missing something. If the PVSA waiver attempt fails and the May Alaska cruises on the Millennium are cancelled, why couldn't the Millennium instead do a 7 day cruise from LA to Ensenada to Hawaii and then a follow-on 7 day from Hawaii to Ensenada to San Diego? 

Transporting passengers between two US ports without a distant foreign stop. 

• Thanks 1