Going forward will cutbacks ruin cruising?

Loreni

27 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

We will end up with cruising being like flying on Spirit Airlines.  Pay for your seat.  Pay for your luggage.  Pay for any food.  Pay for use of toilet paper or haven't they instituted that policy yet.

Nooooo!  I booked DH on Spirit once and he said Never Again!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, West Coast Gal said:

We have those, it is called ENVO - pricey but lovely mask, we love them (as mush as you can enjoy any mask lol).  Does not slip off your nose and is highly effective, and no fogging

The tighter the mask the less glass fogging. My KN95 masks never cause any fogging

12 hours ago, West Coast Gal said:

We have those, it is called ENVO - pricey but lovely mask, we love them (as mush as you can enjoy any mask lol).  Does not slip off your nose and is highly effective, and no fogging

I looked at these on the company website;  these look like an industrial mask for contractors.  Is that what you have?

Interesting stance.  Point was, if you are traveling, you won't be allowed to use this type of mask.  I have used these valve masks for previous jobs, and they do in fact work well and never fogged my glasses.  However these are not appropriate for travel or covid protection for others around you .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

These look nice, but seems like they are the type using a one way exhalation valve, so not allowed on most transportation since it allows your breath to escape unfiltered and don't protect others around you.

That’s my understanding also & is why my 3M N95 masks with a valve we bought before the pandemic to use for brushfire smoke is not acceptable for travel.

“Mask should be a solid piece of material without slits, exhalation valves, or punctures”.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/masks/mask-travel-guidance.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I looked at these on the company website;  these look like an industrial mask for contractors.  Is that what you have?

We do have them and they are really great!  The gel around the mask makes it really comfortable and keeps glasses from getting fogged up.  They don't move on your face, so you don't have to pull them up onto your nose constantly.  DH prefers the over the ear, I prefer the over the head.  That and how much protection they provide, it was been well worth the price for us!

5 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

These look nice, but seems like they are the type using a one way exhalation valve, so not allowed on most transportation since it allows your breath to escape unfiltered and don't protect others around you.

They now have a small cover for the vent, I just ordered that a week ago, so all the venting is now through the filter.

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I think having the exhalation valve would be excellent around the anti-maskers.

They protect the wearer, while allowing the 'exhaust' out to the anti's.

I am sorry to say, you did make me chuckle on this one and I felt guilty after I did! LOL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, West Coast Gal said:

They now have a small cover for the vent, I just ordered that a week ago, so all the venting is now through the filter.

Hopefully that works for you when traveling although that would be subject to the interpretation of the rule by an employee who might not allow it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

Hopefully that works for you when traveling although that would be subject to the interpretation of the rule by an employee who might not allow it.

So true, to date when I have gone anywhere that is strict about it (most places indoors lol) they usually ask if there is a vent and I just put on a second procedural mask over it . . .  so I am thinking when they ask, I will just say there are no open vents and see if that work, if not I will just continue to double mask. no biggie . .  all the other features are work it.

1 minute ago, West Coast Gal said:

So true, to date when I have gone anywhere that is strict about it (most places indoors lol) they usually ask if there is a vent and I just put on a second procedural mask over it . . .  so I am thinking when they ask, I will just say there are no open vents and see if that work, if not I will just continue to double mask. no biggie . .  all the other features are work it.

Great idea...better to be prepared than depending upon someone’s interpretation of the rule. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Having tried that, I can tell you it didn't work on an American Airlines flight, as well as a Delta fight.  I had other masks in anticipation of this, so everything was ok, but you should be prepared.

Sounds good, and no worries, it is all about being safe!  I just will put on a second mask.  Actually surprised about American Airlines -  I have a group of people at work, that have had to fly all through COVID and American Airlines has been very lax.  2 different times people have left the flight after boarding because of conditions of too many people on board and not enforcing masks being worn.

2 hours ago, West Coast Gal said:

American Airlines has been very lax.  2 different times people have left the flight after boarding because of conditions of too many people on board and not enforcing masks being worn.

Was that before of after the a presidential Executive Order made it a rule that masks had to be worn on airplanes with a fine if non-compliant.

Re "Will Going Forward Ruin etc.". going forward always ruins things.  Everyone who has been cruising for years will always tell you that it isn't as good as it used to be and that the cruise lines are getting cheap.  The people who are starting to cruise around now or at least post Corona will be saying the same thing 10 years from now.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 9:15 AM, donaldsc said:

Re "Will Going Forward Ruin etc.". going forward always ruins things.  Everyone who has been cruising for years will always tell you that it isn't as good as it used to be and that the cruise lines are getting cheap.  The people who are starting to cruise around now or at least post Corona will be saying the same thing 10 years from now.

DON

SOOOOOO True!

On 2/27/2021 at 2:43 PM, Thrak said:

Facial recognition bombed on me at Heathrow because I was wearing my glasses. I was wearing them in order to read the directions at the passport kiosk. After it bombed a couple of times I was told to back out, remove my glasses, and try again. That worked. I can't imagine it working with a mask in place.

I had the same thing happen in Italy in 2019. The automated kiosk did not recognize me until I took off my glasses and hat. 

On 3/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, drowelf said:

I had the same thing happen in Italy in 2019. The automated kiosk did not recognize me until I took off my glasses and hat. 

Not just required at airport. Every time cruise passengers return to the ship after a port visit, they are told to take off their hats and sunglasses so security manning the sea card scanner can confirm their ID against their pictures taken at boarding check in counter. I have no doubt masks will also have to come off as well for ID check.

42 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Not just required at airport. Every time cruise passengers return to the ship after a port visit, they are told to take off their hats and sunglasses so security manning the sea card scanner can confirm their ID against their pictures taken at boarding check in counter. I have no doubt masks will also have to come off as well for ID check.

Really, I've never had to take off my glasses when boarding a ship. I do take off my hat, as it generally will have a bunch of pins on it that would set off the magnetometer if I walked through it with it still on. 

• Like 1