The Daily for Tuesday Mar 09, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining and the temps are supposed to hit 62 today. Finally. Hope we are really saying good bye to winter.

All of DH tests have come back negative. No one can explain why he lost vision in one eye for a few minutes 48 hours after his first vaccine. Personally, I think it had to do with the vaccine, but I’m not a doctor. All blood vessels I. His heart, ear, brain, and carotid artery are fine. Next up is some blood work scheduled for tomorrow.

I’m still waiting for the results of my skin biopsy. 

Roy, good luck today with your scan and tests.A trip to Panera sounds like a well deserved treat.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

Carol, will toast your DH’s negative results!

• Like 6

Showing my age today. The first Barbie was not produce until after I had been married for over a year.  I remember that I had one doll but there was nothing special about it, I also had a Teddy Bear that I dearly loved. 

Bought my daughter a Barbie doll, She didn't like it. Her favorite was  Mrs. Beasley doll; she actually wore out 2 Mrs. Beasley dolls.

Jane

• Like 12

3 hours ago, travelingbums said:

Thank you Rich and Roy.

Thank you everyone for sharing and caring😀.

Thoughts and prayers for all.

Thinking of you Roy. Best wishes and big prayers.

And that just about says it all.

Jane

• Like 6

Good morning.  Cold but sunny here.  Had to check in with all the news here before my walk.  

Thanks for all the info Rich and Roy.  

The quote is the story of my life!!  

I was never a Barbie fan and neither was our daughter.  But our granddaughter is another story.  Loves, loves them.  

Never been to the port for today.  Like others of you, sure am ready to start exploring new places again.

Will be thinking of you, Roy with your appointment schedule today.  

Take care everyone.  Wear those masks!  

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm another one who never had a Barbie doll.  My best friend had them though.  I was more into putting clothes on my cats and playing with them. 😂  Does anyone remember the Cabbage Patch dolls?  They were the rage when DD was little, early 80's.  My sister and I even made some copycat dolls that came in a kit.  What a hoot!  They were even uglier than the real dolls, if that's possible.

Our DDs had Cabbage Patch dolls and the World Traveler Cabbage Patch dolls when they cam out in the early 80s.  I remember they were extremely hard to find and most stores could not keep them on the shelves.  Luckily, I was able to order them from the Sears catalog.  Your could only specify girl or boy doll and skin color, but they did arrive in time for Christmas.  When the World Travelers were introduced, the Sears catalog came to the rescue again.  I made a lot of clothes for those dolls, which along with their wardrobes are still in the attic in Texas.

52 minutes ago, NextOne said:

At the risk of dating myself -- I didn't have a Barbie doll either. My treasured friend was a Tiny Tears doll that I called Jean, after the dear family friend that gave her to me. After Jean (the doll) got tired & worn, my mother tried to dispose of her on the rubbish heap. Of course I found her and retrieved her, wondering how she could have wandered out there. Mom never tried that again and Jean (the doll) finally just fell apart!

I also had a Tiny Tears doll growing up.  It might have been that doll I was thinking of when I mentioned Betsy Wetsy earlier.  After playing with those dolls and my stuffed animals, I thought Barbie was too small when she was introduced.

As I said, DDs also had Barbies, and I made (or tired to make) clothes' for them too.  Those clothes were difficult as they were so, so small.  I think those dolls and clothes are also probably in the attic too.

Lenda

• Like 13

2 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

Love the days, but here I must show my age. No Barbie for me (although my sister had one). For me it was a Betsy Wetsy doll (wish I still had her) and then when I was older my friends and I played with our Ginny dolls (I still have her, her wardrobe case and lots of clothes, including a Girl Scout uniform, Brownie uniform and a rabbit fur coat.) My dolls stayed in pretty good condition and were much loved; I was lucky that my great-aunt’s landlady ran a doll hospital (anyone remember those?) When I got too carried away with hairdressing, Mrs. Riney would fix Ginny up with a new wig!

I struggle with my home office organization, which is odd because my work desk was always super organized. I put it down to having too many jobs in one place-home management, president of homeowners association, secretary for my sorority, member of the board for our local food pantry, and certified lay speaker for my church. I sometimes feel like I’m drowning in paperwork!

Craving some pork roast, love the sound of the wine,  but I’ll skip the drink.

Another port I haven’t been to. 

Take care everyone and stay safe.

St Louis Sal

I had only one Ginny Doll, my mom liked the Madame Alexander ones more. I’ve given my niece my original Brownie and Girl Scout ones but I still have this one. The picture is me in a Brownie meeting (second from left). 

1832AE92-EBA6-4479-BBB6-73FC66A89E33.jpeg

• Like 19

Does anyone remember the Cabbage Patch dolls?  They were the rage when DD was little, early 80's.

Remember only too well. DD decided less than a week before Christmas that the world would end if she didn't get her new favorite. Many miles of frantic searching later it turned out that she wasn't too disappointed with one that Santa brought , so the world was saved 😅

• Like 13

Funny y'all mentioning the Cabbage Patch Dolls. They started in a little town in North Georgia about 60 miles from me. I've been by the original "Babyland General" in Cleveland many times but never visited.

According to court records (OAA v Toy Loft ), being a 21-year-old art student at a missionary school in North Georgia, Xavier Roberts discovered craft artist Martha Nelson’s Doll Babies. They came with a birth certificate and adoption papers. With the help of artist Debbie Moorehead, he hand-stitched dolls called "The Little People". Roberts very cleverly modified the look of Nelson’s dolls, birth certificate and adoption papers sufficiently to get a copyright and told potential customers his Little People weren’t for sale, but could be "adopted" for prices ranging from sixty to as much as a thousand dollars. The Little People were first sold at arts and crafts shows, then later at Babyland General Hospital, an old medical clinic that Roberts and his friends-turned-employees converted into a toy store, in Cleveland, Georgia.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

The Canadian Tire in Peterborough has 4 different ones about the same size in stock!

Thanks, I will check Canadian tire in Windsor! 

bingo. 25 in stock at my store! Now to convince DH we need one.

Edited by superoma
Add
  • Like 10

Kota Kinabalu Malaysia is not very often visited by a HAL ship but we were one of the lucky ones to land there  when on the Volendam from Sydney to Singapore and on December 18th , 2015  and were welcomed by a native band and dancers . 

On a private tour in a small group we went to the Mari Mari Cultural Village where we learned of all the native living , cooking , dancing , hunting and many other very interesting customs and also had a delicious lunch there . 

After that we drove to the Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort where next to it we visited the Orang Utan Sanctuary and orphanage in a Nature Reserve .

A great day was had by all and when it was time we were back on board to go to the next Port with Captain Frank van der Hoeven to Muara, Brunei ..........

Hope all of the pictures stay right side up this time 

Tony 😀

DSCN6950.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

DSCN6973.JPG

DSCN6989.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

DSCN7011.JPG

DSCN7023.jpg

IMG_2444.JPG

DSCN7040.JPG

DSCN7046.JPG

DSCN7047.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

DSCN7056.JPG

DSCN7057.jpg

DSCN7060.JPG

DSCN7075.JPG

DSCN7082.jpg

IMG_2328.JPG

• Like 22

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

We visited Kota Kinabalu in 2015 while we were on a 28-day Christmas cruise onboard the Volendam.

Here's a link to a video clip of the local dancers who greeted us on the dock.

Just noticed this @GeorgeCharlie that you were on the same cruise  with you , we saw the same dancing a very nice welcome we have seen specially in Asia in the many ports we visited there .

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Our DDs had Cabbage Patch dolls and the World Traveler Cabbage Patch dolls when they cam out in the early 80s.  I remember they were extremely hard to find and most stores could not keep them on the shelves.  Luckily, I was able to order them from the Sears catalog.  Your could only specify girl or boy doll and skin color, but they did arrive in time for Christmas.  When the World Travelers were introduced, the Sears catalog came to the rescue again.  I made a lot of clothes for those dolls, which along with their wardrobes are still in the attic in Texas.

I don't remember the World Traveler Cabbage Patch dolls!  I do remember how hard any of them were to find, that's probably why my sister and I made them and also sewed their clothes.  I bet yours are worth some $$ now! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I was part of the Barbie generation for sure.  I only had one, but lots of clothes hand-made by a neighbor lady.  Also had a "Chatty Cathy" who I still have.  I was not really attached to the Barbie so I did not keep her.  Since I had no siblings, she stayed in pristine condition and still had the box she came in.  It sold for $100 at the estate sale when my father went to assisted living. 

People think that old dolls are worth a lot of money, but well loved ones with no original box are usually not worth that much. Also how they are kept is important. My SIL had some very old collectible dolls from her aunt and some of her own, but she was a smoker. That lowered the value tremendously. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I also had a Tiny Tears doll growing up.  It might have been that doll I was thinking of when I mentioned Betsy Wetsy earlier.  After playing with those dolls and my stuffed animals, I thought Barbie was too small when she was introduced.

As I said, DDs also had Barbies, and I made (or tired to make) clothes' for them too.  Those clothes were difficult as they were so, so small.  I think those dolls and clothes are also probably in the attic too.

Lenda

You were lucky getting one from Sears Catalog.  I owned the Sears Catalog Store in my town at that time and I probably had hundreds of people waiting for dolls on backorder.  There was a "ship by" date given to customers...probably around Dec 10th or so.  When that date came, the document bag that came with my shipment was overstuffed with all of the cancellation notices.  No dolls available.  And my employees had the most unpleasant task of calling all of these people with the sad news. 

Most people were understanding that it was not our fault, but some accused us of ruining their kid's Christmas.  

• Like 6

@Cruising-alongthose Cabbage Patch doll crazy times! My mother bought my youngest daughter one for her birthday in the summer and they hadn’t gotten quite so popular yet. By Christmas when our oldest wanted one,  it was a madhouse. We eventually added a preemie and the World Traveler Doll from Spain.

Our dog developed an obsession for chewing off their bellybuttons 😳. I discovered you could do reparative surgery using a piece of pantyhose 😂

St Louis Sal

• Like 13

I don't remember the World Traveler Cabbage Patch dolls!  I do remember how hard any of them were to find, that's probably why my sister and I made them and also sewed their clothes.  I bet yours are worth some $$ now! 

The World Traveler Cabbage Patch Kids were dolls from various countries around the world that could be adopted.  I just looked on line and most used ones were from $30-$50 dollars.  However, someone on eBay was very optimistic and were asking $5,500.00!  They may be asking for a long time.  🤣

14 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

People think that old dolls are worth a lot of money, but well loved ones with no original box are usually not worth that much. Also how they are kept is important. My SIL had some very old collectible dolls from her aunt and some of her own, but she was a smoker. That lowered the value tremendously. 

St Louis Sal

Ours have been boxed (not the original boxes) and in the attic for 22 years, so no telling what condition they are in.  I was planning on going through a lot of the boxes of the DDs things when we get back to Texas in a few weeks.  Have to do it before summer or it's too hot in the attic.  The dolls were well loved, but if I remember correctly, there were in pretty good condition and I think they still had their paperwork.

8 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

You were lucky getting one from Sears Catalog.  I owned the Sears Catalog Store in my town at that time and I probably had hundreds of people waiting for dolls on backorder.  There was a "ship by" date given to customers...probably around Dec 10th or so.  When that date came, the document bag that came with my shipment was overstuffed with all of the cancellation notices.  No dolls available.  And my employees had the most unpleasant task of calling all of these people with the sad news. 

Most people were understanding that it was not our fault, but some accused us of ruining their kid's Christmas.  

I was lucky to get my orders through Sears although it was nail-biting time when it got close to December 10 and a few days after that.  My biggest fear was one would come in, but not the other one, and then, which DD would get the doll?  I think I placed by order in October, so I might have been high on the list.  Whatever, DH and I were very relieved when they called and said come pickup the dolls.

While I was looking around the Internet about the dolls, I discovered the Cabbage Patch Kids web-site is still there and they are selling dolls, at a much higher price than we paid.

Lenda

• Like 11

All this talk about dolls, reminded me that I also had a very grown-up elegant doll that someone gave me.  My mother was an excellent seamstress and she made a complete wardrobe for the doll.  Since she made some of my clothes and some of hers, the doll got dresses from the leftover material.  What I remember most was the stole my mother made for the doll to go with her evening dress.  When my mother no longer wore her old coat with a beaver collar, she took the collar and made the stole. As I said that was a very elegant and sophisticated doll.  She even had a small trunk for her clothes.  I don't remember what kind of doll it was or whatever happened to it.

@Seasick Sailor  Good news that Allen has an appointment for his MOHS procedure.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I never had a Barbie doll. By the time they came out I was already an older teenager and not interested. I had paper dolls I used to dress when I was younger. Missed the 'Pet Rocks' and 'Cabbage Patch Dolls' too. I was a war baby and just too old for all those fads..

• Like 7

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think rather than a post about Kota Kinabalu I'll link to my blog post for the day.  For the sailaway addicts, there is a unique substitution for the white pickup truck:

https://wcmedley2014.wordpress.com/2014/03/08/day-13-saturday-march-8-kota-kinabalu-malaysia/

Roy

I see a lot of those kind of 'white trucks' at many of our smaller ports. I love watching the tying up and the letting the lines go.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, garlictown said:

Happy Tuesday and Thank You for the Daily! ✏️

We haven't been to Malaysia ....closest was Singapore. Maybe someday? 🙂 

In honor of International Women's Day, a new Barbie was launched by Mattel.😉 Yes, I had a Barbie and also a Ginny doll. 👍

Prayers to all in need! 🙏

image (1).png

You are the second to mention Ginny doll - never even heard of it. Wow! Age does limit your knowledge of fads.

• Like 4

Good afternoon and thanks for the update.

It’s a beautiful sunny day here. 66degrees. I went to the garden center and got some pansies to put on the front porch.

I still have my Barbie doll, I remember my aunt made a wedding gown for her.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 10