Two more rough yerars?

caribill

It is going to be rough seas for the next 2 years.  Not only to deal with all the new safety regulations and rule, but to provide a product that people feel confident that it's safe.  IMO, cruising is back 100% before the end of the year in terms of itineraries, but probably sailing with reduced number of passengers.

46 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Last year, we shut the center down for a month (except for urgent cases) and furloughed most of the staff.

Did your CEO get furloughed or just front line workers who did not process / treat clients? Carnival Corp brass & accounting were working although sometimes it did not feel that way 

Edited by Ombud

On 3/14/2021 at 4:24 PM, rdsqrl said:

Because he's already paid a freaking fortune to manage the business!  All of us probably faced difficulties managing whatever ramifications the pandemic and shutdown caused in our worlds, yet few of us got a raise or increased bonuses -- far from it!  

What he makes us really none of our business

• Like 6

On 3/15/2021 at 4:00 PM, Ombud said:

I'm up 340% from where I bought this in April but that's only on 100 shares. All the rest was sold. Imagine if I had more than 100 shares. 

Can someone more knowledgeable shed light on "Stock Awards" boosted by 72%. Did he get stock instead of pay during the worst times and then the stock jumped in value? So he takes 43% less salary, stock instead valued at ×, then it goes back up, so total compensation bumps up. 

Its probably baked into his contract. His stock options are probably part of the long term compensation plan. The longer you stay with the company in a senior management position the more stock you are likely to accumulate. Sometimes its tied to performance and others its just awarded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

You are free to raise your objection at the AGM if this is how you feel. 

I did not say I felt that way. What I did was answer the question as to who MIGHT object to his salary.

23 hours ago, Ombud said:

Did your CEO get furloughed or just front line workers who did not process / treat clients? Carnival Corp brass & accounting were working although sometimes it did not feel that way 

I don't think he was, but the majority of our staff does direct patient care. One of the three in HR was furloughed, along with a couple of the MDs. There was no need to keep a full staff (over 300) when when patient visits were down something like 95%. I heard we were bleeding $1.5M every two weeks in pay with no patient visits. I know he stayed busy trying to keep the finances (the first stimulus small business funding) straight, staffing appropriate to patient visits, and keeping staff and physicians current--and preventing surgeons from claiming some cases were urgent when they really were not. I know we had several phone conferences (almost as bad as Zoom/WebEx meetings) to the surgery center staff. And he was realistic upfront about how long we'd be shut down--4-6 weeks--and he was right about that.

We (the group) bounced back more than 100% and worked our a$$es off the rest of the year and actually saw more patients (and surgical cases) than in a normal year.

Was that waaaaayyyyy more than you wanted to know? 😆

14 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I know he stayed busy trying to keep the finances (the first stimulus small business funding) straight,..... worked our a$$es off the rest of the year and actually saw more patients (and surgical cases) than in a normal year.

My sister went from 40° to 60° and is just now getting back to normal hrs. She lost 1 of her LVNs -- RNs were already in too short supply for a high risk OB clinic (babies keep coming even in a pandemic). So no. Your response is not any more detailed than I expected. Brass stayed trying to keep the corporation afloat / rank and file shifted to other duties or furloughed. 

Most ship & land based staff furloughed ..... brass & accounting 

15 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

stayed busy trying to keep the finances ..... straight 

I'm glad you're back to work. All 3 kids + 2 sisters were laid off. All but 1 has found new employment but took cuts in pay or hours

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

My sister went from 40° to 60° and is just now getting back to normal hrs. She lost 1 of her LVNs -- RNs were already in too short supply for a high risk OB clinic (babies keep coming even in a pandemic). So no. Your response is not any more detailed than I expected. Brass stayed trying to keep the corporation afloat / rank and file shifted to other duties or furloughed. 

Most ship & land based staff furloughed ..... brass & accounting 

I'm glad you're back to work. All 3 kids + 2 sisters were laid off. All but 1 has found new employment but took cuts in pay or hours

I used that month off to finish my masters. And day drink.  

Both of my daughters kept working, though from home. My younger is in billing for a company that does medical facility maintainance, the older is an educational policy lawyer near you. She says she hasn't been face to face with a client since last March. 

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

...retired from hospital mgmt hence my name "ombudsman"

I had to look up the word/job. I did not know such a career existed and I worked 30 years in hospital care. Bet you have some interesting stories to tell!

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, mtnesterz said:

Is anyone else insensed by this? I can't be the only one.

Why?  I personally believe that no CEO is worth more than 30 times the lowest paid employee in any organization, ever.  But I learned long ago, I don't get to make the rules.  But because the rules are not my way of thinking doesn't make the bad rules.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:10 AM, russbma said:

What he makes us really none of our business

Go to school, get his type education, spend 100+ hour weeks for a few years working toward your goal, get a following, get a lower supervision position, work lots more hours, move up the ladder and make the big bucks.  Nothing to it.

38 minutes ago, restasured said:

Why?  I personally believe that no CEO is worth more than 30 times the lowest paid employee in any organization, ever.  But I learned long ago, I don't get to make the rules.  But because the rules are not my way of thinking doesn't make the bad rules.

I answered your question in post #20. If you missed it and curious, it's there.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, AF-1 said:

Grego;  I agree;  it is only a matter of time to safely get back on a ship.  This time next year it will all be over. 

We are hoping that it will be mostly over late summer and into the repositioning season.  Someone has to step up and give the cruise industry the marching orders so they can begin the trial sailings with the new protocols.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grego said:

We are hoping that it will be mostly over late summer and into the repositioning season.  Someone has to step up and give the cruise industry the marching orders so they can begin the trial sailings with the new protocols.

Agree.  Come on CDC  let the ships sail. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 9:47 PM, Ombud said:

@PurpleHaysI understand the day drinking. I know that my NP sister is burnt out now. I missed it all (retired from hospital mgmt hence my name "ombudsman")

I wondered about that. Good to know that my thought was correct!. 

Sorry about your sister being burned out. It's pretty common in nursing and was exacerbated by covid.