UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Hope you have a fab holiday in the lakes

Out of interest, why do you prefer P&O? We’ve never cruised with Princess but often think about it so would be really interesting to hear your opinions 🙂 

Second that - I read some posts on CC and went onto the Princess site to sniff around - ships look nice, balcony size not bad - still trying to get a clear picture of the pricing set up - dont imbibe alcohol so buying the AI package appears pointless when (and correct me if I got this wrong)  I can only have the non-alcoholic drinks upgrade if I am below drinking age???   Discrimination or what???

35 minutes ago, teabear said:

Second that - I read some posts on CC and went onto the Princess site to sniff around - ships look nice, balcony size not bad - still trying to get a clear picture of the pricing set up - dont imbibe alcohol so buying the AI package appears pointless when (and correct me if I got this wrong)  I can only have the non-alcoholic drinks upgrade if I am below drinking age???   Discrimination or what???

Sh.... Don't tell anyone but you should have an option 🙂

Just this minute got off the phone with my beast of a TA after enquiring about Princess Seacations and they said that they will not know for definite if you can remove Princess Plus from prices announced which are AI until you book and also wont know the prices of higher grade balcony cabins until they go on sale and its £50pp deposit balance due 30 days before cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed on Princess twice, both for destinations. First was to the Hawaiian Islands and second Canada and New England. Both were brilliant cruises, we loved every minute on both although the Canada one had the edge. There were a lot of Americans on both cruises and we had so many conversations and laughs with them. Downside - our bar bill and the flights included in the price were not direct. They were both a few years ago so I don’t know whether there are direct flights now. I would definitely go with them again for the right destinations and price. We have sailed with P&O 8 times and never had a bad experience. From what I remember I think Princess had the edge on the food. We have had 3 P&O cruises cancelled due to COVID and have rebooked them all starting in September (not sure it will go ahead though). I hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

We have sailed on Princess twice, both for destinations. First was to the Hawaiian Islands and second Canada and New England. Both were brilliant cruises, we loved every minute on both although the Canada one had the edge. There were a lot of Americans on both cruises and we had so many conversations and laughs with them. Downside - our bar bill and the flights included in the price were not direct. They were both a few years ago so I don’t know whether there are direct flights now. I would definitely go with them again for the right destinations and price. We have sailed with P&O 8 times and never had a bad experience. From what I remember I think Princess had the edge on the food. We have had 3 P&O cruises cancelled due to COVID and have rebooked them all starting in September (not sure it will go ahead though). I hope this helps.

Living up North few places have direct flights, but since we hated Heathrow we always asked Princess for Manchester flights, and the US  hubs were always more interesting than miserable Heathrow. So each to their own as they say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2021 at 10:51 AM, zap99 said:

I seem to remember the sea being a bit choppy in those war films. North Cape in November?. They will probably close the pool deck.

That was a geezer with a paddle stirring the tin bath at Pinewood studios.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

As I'm sure you know, you can change the flights to other routings, if available, but obviously at a cost.

My only attempt at a Princess cruise was the Eastern Med including an overnight in Istanbul. When it came to the included flights the only ones available involved changing planes at Frankfurt. Forget it I told the TA and booked a 14 nighter from Corfu with Thomson. If there are going to be flights they have to be direct except in special cases, actually i have given up flying for the foreseeable future

Just finished reading the article from Cruise Critic with regard to start up dates but read with interest the point made on insurance.  Right now there is still an advisory not to take cruises. If you are about to make a booking tomorrow may be worth checking with your insurance company to see if you are covered if you book with this advisory in place. 
P&O have made it very clear you will need personal insurance.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

No they are just updating it to P&O😏

Avril

Be careful what you say in jest sis.That would add a shedload of yanks to the mix.The end of the "special relationship" would result.It'd be fun to watch though,bro.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/uk/princess-plus/

For information, if anyone is interested.

We wouldn’t get value for money as we already qualify for elite perks which include wifi minutes and cheaper cocktails in the evenings.  Couples have to both purchase the package and £60 a day would be ridiculous waste. 
The package is included with the advertised summer sailing price so we will have to weigh it up against P&O pricing.  We like Britannia and Sky equally but like the speciality restaurants more on Britannia.  Wether that would be a factor for only 3/4 nights is undecided.  We also like and use the Retreat/Sanctuary but unpredictable weather will problem rule that out too.  I doubt we will be making a booking unless a last minute heat wave gets forecast.  

3 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

We wouldn’t get value for money as we already qualify for elite perks which include wifi minutes and cheaper cocktails in the evenings.  Couples have to both purchase the package and £60 a day would be ridiculous waste. 
The package is included with the advertised summer sailing price so we will have to weigh it up against P&O pricing.  We like Britannia and Sky equally but like the speciality restaurants more on Britannia.  Wether that would be a factor for only 3/4 nights is undecided.  We also like and use the Retreat/Sanctuary but unpredictable weather will problem rule that out too.  I doubt we will be making a booking unless a last minute heat wave gets forecast.  

Please read the Frequently Answered Questions. I really am not wanting to continue a war which has been raging on here, but it clearly states there are two price bands, with or without wifi, grats and drinks, for all cruises of 3 nights or more.

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

Please read the Frequently Answered Questions. I really am not wanting to continue a war which has been raging on here, but it clearly states there are two price bands, with or without wifi, grats and drinks, for all cruises of 3 nights or more.

Think the latest short summer cruises are being sold with special perks included. Obviously to compete with P&O announced cruises going on sale.  Just have to weigh up if the price difference is something you can justify.  For us personally it isn’t.  We have booked for 2022 and not included it .. not an option it seems for these special summer cruises.  Although can see the attraction of long sea days and no ports of call.  Particularly if it’s raining!   That extra cocktail might be needed.  😂

53 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

This advice has not been changed with regard to the short UK cruises.  

Need advice from insurance companies to check that any bookings made will be covered.  

I have read that the government are reviewing the situation. I think an announcement is due after Easter. River cruises are not covered by this advice now.
Not quite sure why Travel Insurance is required if passengers are only sailing around the UK.

When our Travel Insurance was due for renewal in January, we were told that it didn’t cover COVID-19 ( previously it had, as we had taken it out before the pandemic. We didn’t renew, as at the moment we don’t have any holiday booked.

2 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Dont forget that if you do not take out the Princess Plus which includes gratuities they will charge them to your daily account of about £10+ so that is a fair chunk out of the £30. We are also Elite and get the free mini bar but we will drink that in the stateroom and then use the drinks package around the ship which at £20 per day for unlimited drinks and wi-fi especially at the price of drinks on Princess.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Dont forget that if you do not take out the Princess Plus which includes gratuities they will charge them to your daily account of about £10+ so that is a fair chunk out of the £30. We are also Elite and get the free mini bar but we will drink that in the stateroom and then use the drinks package around the ship which at £20 per day for unlimited drinks and wi-fi especially at the price of drinks on Princess.

Yes forgot that .. P&O have removed gratuities .. another plus for them 

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

I have read that the government are reviewing the situation. I think an announcement is due after Easter. River cruises are not covered by this advice now.
Not quite sure why Travel Insurance is required if passengers are only sailing around the UK.

When our Travel Insurance was due for renewal in January, we were told that it didn’t cover COVID-19 ( previously it had, as we had taken it out before the pandemic. We didn’t renew, as at the moment we don’t have any holiday booked.

We have had to cancel cruises in the past sadly due to family deaths and illness. Our annual insurance will cover us against Covid but presumably not if we book to travel  against the current Foreign office advice.  Will wait for their announcement on these UK cruises. 

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

What happens if you need medical treatment on board ? That will cost you. What happens if you have a heart attack and are airlifted to, say Exeter?  Insurance will cover all your incidental costs, which could add up to thousands of pounds.    

23 hours ago, teabear said:

It’s not worth it for us either as we won’t be drinking and have the Elite included wi-if minutes. Ref the tips I normally leave them on but next time we sail was going to take them off as we have loads of unused US Dollars to use ( thanks to our cancelled Hawaii cruise) so was going to use them to tip the crew. I can’t see us travelling out of Europe for at least a few years so might as well use them up. 

1 hour ago, seapals2 said:

Yes forgot that .. P&O have removed gratuities .. another plus for them 

Yes I agree but Princess Plus includes drinks package, gratuities and unlimited wi-fi. P&O have removed payment of gratuities onto onboard account but no doubt increased prices to cover cost and their drinks package alone in £39-95pppd and you have to pay extra for wi-fi. It is obviously a personal choice but I personally think Princess are one step above P&O for food and service.

The other thing to remember about the Princess Plus Package is that it includes all soft drinks, including speciality coffees. Therefore, with a lot of time at sea, unless you don't ingest much liquid of any sort across the day, it is likely to be quite good value.

Edited by Britboys