What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?

ilikeanswers

What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?

• Cruising
    • Travel

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

They claimed the sole reason they set foot on a cruise ship was because it was the only viable transport to some places.  All of which of course, with very few exceptions, is nonsense and I did not believe them.   

When someone says a place is easier to visit with a cruise I usually assume some type of expedition cruising which is obviously not for everyone as they are the styles of cruise that genuinely go to places that are difficult to visit. 

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

When someone says a place is easier to visit with a cruise I usually assume some type of expedition cruising which is obviously not for everyone as they are the styles of cruise that genuinely go to places that are difficult to visit. 

Sure.  But this person I was referring to claimed to dislike everything about cruising.  I think it was more about arrogance, if you know what I mean.   

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have never said that but I do understand.  I am friendly on cruise ships but I truly use them for transport and a convenient hotel.  I do relish the days at sea so I can get caught up on some downtime activities like reading, meditating, exercising, etc..   On the other hand, life is a compromise  and DH loves the people, the food, the atmosphere, etc.....

Mary, I'm a card carrying extrovert but as I've gotten older I crave more quiet time. So on a cruise or on land by around 3PM I want to settle in with books, maybe a nap and prepare for dinner. I'm friendly but I'm not seeking new BFFs 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

History, yes. Waterfalls and thermal pools not so much.

Not even if waterfall is historically significant to a country's history? As fascinating as the geology was to me (I'm absolutely intrigued by the history of Earth probably one v of the reasons for my love of Iceland🤗) in Thingvellir I was pretty amazed to be standing in the birthplace of a country but I am one of those weirdos that get a thrill from standing in a place of historical significance😜. It's never really bothered me if there is man made objects are left, so little is really original anyway so I don't really see the difference though I do appreciate having an example🤗. Thingvellir is probably more authentic to the time period than most buildings I have visited😂

38 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Sure.  But this person I was referring to claimed to dislike everything about cruising.  I think it was more about arrogance, if you know what I mean.   

Well at least you now know that they weren't completely wrong, there are places where cruising is the easier transport, just maybe not for the person you talked to😉

Edited by ilikeanswers

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well at least you now know that they weren't completely wrong, there are places where cruising is the easier transport, just maybe not for the person you talked to😉

I guess it depends a person's definition of easier. Someone mentioned no roads in Juneau.  So, you can fly to a port, board a ship and sail to Juneau.  Or, you can fly to Juneau.  Which is easier?  I would prefer the cruise because I would enjoy it.   Anyway, the current post just reminded me of that old one.   I would delete my comment about it but probably can't at this point.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I guess it depends a person's definition of easier. Someone mentioned no roads in Juneau.  So, you can fly to a port, board a ship and sail to Juneau.  Or, you can fly to Juneau.  Which is easier?  I would prefer the cruise because I would enjoy it.   Anyway, the current post just reminded me of that old one.   I would delete my comment about it but probably can't at this point.  

I would agree that Juneau is not what I would class as difficult (it is a state capital it shouldn't be difficult😂) but there are destinations that are logistically difficult like the ones I mentioned. Before every thing closed up I was looking at visiting Wallis and Fatuna (I was hoping we could go this year but looks like it will be delayed another year 🙄) While the international flights are pretty easy the accommodation, touring and the inter Island flight are complicated to organise. If there was a cruise that visited these islands I would take it in a heart beat it would be so much easier 🤗

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not even if waterfall is historically significant to a country's history? As fascinating as the geology was to me (I'm absolutely intrigued by the history of Earth probably one v of the reasons for my love of Iceland🤗) in Thingvellir I was pretty amazed to be standing in the birthplace of a country but I am one of those weirdos that get a thrill from standing in a place of historical significance😜. It's never really bothered me if there is man made objects are left, so little is really original anyway so I don't really see the difference though I do appreciate having an example🤗. Thingvellir is probably more authentic to the time period than most buildings I have visited😂

Well perhaps I should say that I wouldn't say no to seeing something if there was tangible history there. But we can't help what moves us -- and what moves me is things that are the result of human effort -- whether in the act of creation, expression, desperation, everyday need or even assertion of power. I can't say that I've ever really felt the same thrill regarding a place of natural beauty as I have when seeing something like Stonehenge, or the Pantheon, or Michelangelo's David. Or even the rough ivory comb of a mid-13th century Viking Greenlander or a gaming board scratched by Roman soldiers on the stones of forum in a faraway place like Britain, where they must have been longing for their homes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I've long wondered about the Alaska State Ferry.

47 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Or even the rough ivory comb of a mid-13th century Viking Greenlander or a gaming board scratched by Roman soldiers on the stones of forum in a faraway place like Britain, where they must have been longing for their homes.

I do love objects of ordinary people 🤗. I find them much more fascinating than big palaces and temple. I love knowing how people live everyday lives. I remember being thrilled seeing a toilet in Teotihuacan😂. I think I watched too many archaeological documentaries and they always talk about how things were renovated or reconstructed. Every time I visit a man made site I'm wondering what it originally looked like. I think that is why I prefer visting places where things happened rather than looking at objects left behind🤔. You can't change the location of a historical event😜

Edited by ilikeanswers

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I would agree that Juneau is not what I would class as difficult (it is a state capital it shouldn't be difficult😂) but there are destinations that are logistically difficult like the ones I mentioned. Before every thing closed up I was looking at visiting Wallis and Fatuna (I was hoping we could go this year but looks like it will be delayed another year 🙄) While the international flights are pretty easy the accommodation, touring and the inter Island flight are complicated to organise. If there was a cruise that visited these islands I would take it in a heart beat it would be so much easier 🤗

No disagreement.  But now I think we are starting to go in circles and the dance has me kind of dizzy! 😁 

I hope you get to realize those cruises soon.   

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

And what have you wondered?  

We did an Alaskan cruise some years ago and didn't love it. The ports were overwhelmed with cruise pax. But then I read about the ferry, which can be on and off. Have you done it? It sounds like more what we would like.

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I hope you get to realize those cruises soon.   

I doubt there will ever be cruises to Wallis and Fatuna, their pretty conservative about their tourism (quality over quantity I guess😆). But having travel closed off like this does make me rethink where I want to travel and maybe not waiting for the "right moment" to visit some of my must go to places🤔.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

We did an Alaskan cruise some years ago and didn't love it. The ports were overwhelmed with cruise pax. But then I read about the ferry, which can be on and off. Have you done it? It sounds like more what we would like.

I have not toured SE AK using the "marine highway".   I read it can be done.  I think you can even start from  out of Washington, but not sure how COVID might have impacted that.   

18 minutes ago, clo said:

It's old and COVID has probably changed some things but this might give you some insight:

Live from the Alaska Marine Highway

1 hour ago, clo said:

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

It's old and COVID has probably changed some things but this might give you some insight:

Live from the Alaska Marine Highway

Try to when the salmon run is happening.  I never made that but think it would be awesome to see.   

On 3/19/2021 at 3:20 PM, ldubs said:

I know they exist but I didn't think there were many ports like that.   What are some examples of places where the easiest way to get there is by cruise ship?  

Papua New Guinea: v. limited and expensive flights both domestic and international, few roads, security issues in parts. That's why we chose our first trip - which got us back home a few weeks before our borders closed. 

Southern NZ  - Snares, Fiordland - particularly again no roads , certainly no alternative method. 

I've taken the ferry in Southern Chile -  no roads there either. I'd like to do the Kimberly coast in NW Australia - Ive driven the dirt remote roads in the ara but you're still 100's of kms from much of the coast and its not accessible because of the lack of roads, and local closed communities. 

I'd like to do the Aleutian Islands in Alaska - and the Kamchakta (sp) in Russia - again few if any roads. 

I'm booked to cruise the Panama Canal which has always been a bucket list item, for us coming from NZ places in the Caribeean are Madeira are also very remote without a ship. Consdiering booking a return trip from Europe via the Suez to tick off both 

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

There was a poster (can’t remember who) some time ago who claimed there was absolutely nothing about cruise ships they liked.  Didn’t like the food, the atmosphere, or fellow passengers.  Nothing.  Nada.   They claimed the sole reason they set foot on a cruise ship was because it was the only viable transport to some places.  All of which of course, with very few exceptions, is nonsense and I did not believe them.   

You can get anywhere if you try hard enough with the possible exception of Antarctica. While I don't dislike being on board I do at times find the environment vapid and contrived. The reason I am on the boat is to go a place where that mode of transportation and accommodation makes sense compared to the alternatives. 

7 hours ago, lissie said:

Papua New Guinea: v. limited and expensive flights both domestic and international, few roads, security issues in parts. That's why we chose our first trip - which got us back home a few weeks before our borders closed. 

Southern NZ  - Snares, Fiordland - particularly again no roads , certainly no alternative method. 

I've taken the ferry in Southern Chile -  no roads there either. I'd like to do the Kimberly coast in NW Australia - Ive driven the dirt remote roads in the ara but you're still 100's of kms from much of the coast and its not accessible because of the lack of roads, and local closed communities. 

I'd like to do the Aleutian Islands in Alaska - and the Kamchakta (sp) in Russia - again few if any roads. 

I'm booked to cruise the Panama Canal which has always been a bucket list item, for us coming from NZ places in the Caribeean are Madeira are also very remote without a ship. Consdiering booking a return trip from Europe via the Suez to tick off both 

Those are good ones.  I've learned about some new places from this discussion.   

I've been lucky enough to see Fiordland.  Beautiful.   

• Like 1

@ilikeanswers

Just wanted to let you know that Sydney is one of our favorite cities in the world.

Love the fact that the OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal is walking distance to the Rocks, CBD, Circular Quay, Sydney Opera House (and the gardens next door), the Harbor Bridge.  It got even better when we discovered the Opal Card...gave us access to the trains, buses, and ferries.  We love Sydney and all of its people...super friendly.  All of our cruises on the Ovation were cancelled...can't wait to book them again.  G'day mate!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, bonsai3s said:

@ilikeanswers

Just wanted to let you know that Sydney is one of our favorite cities in the world.

Love the fact that the OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal is walking distance to the Rocks, CBD, Circular Quay, Sydney Opera House (and the gardens next door), the Harbor Bridge.  It got even better when we discovered the Opal Card...gave us access to the trains, buses, and ferries.  We love Sydney and all of its people...super friendly.  All of our cruises on the Ovation were cancelled...can't wait to book them again.  G'day mate!

Its an awesome city and harbour.  Not every cruise leaves from the OPT though - some go under the bridge to an industrial port further up harbour.  Just check your particular ship before booking. 

Also don't need to get an Opal car anymore - they ugpraded the software so now you can use your normal credit/debit card and if you use it consistently you'll get the same daily/weekly fare caps