What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?

ilikeanswers

What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?

• Cruising
    • Travel

6 hours ago, pseudoware said:

I haven't missed traveling at all. 

Nov 2019 - Europe

Feb 2020 - San Diego 

Oct, Nov 2020 - Oahu

May 2021 - Maui

You are in a very rare position........compared to most everyone else.

I giggle when people tell me they miss traveling. I know a lot of people who have barely left their home period. I get some of the international stuff is a bit tricky, but travel is quite possible. So I will pick cruising, as it is currently impossible.

• Like 1

We love international travel.

We love cruising however we can take it or leave it.   We intend to travel by land well before we intend to restart cruising.   Cruising is not the be all and end all for us.  Lots of other travel options to take advantage of.  

• Like 2

At lunch today we got to talking to two guys at the next table. I've been to six continents and Bob has been to seven. We've been to a fair number of places that many people haven't. But these guys have been EVERYWHERE! One has worked as a guide, SCUBA instructor, you name it. We couldn't name a single place that they didn't have great things to say about it. And some pretty darn obscure. It was so great to talk to them - probably interrupted their lunch too much but they seemed to be enjoying it also 🙂  I was in such a great mood afterwards. A few hours later that has waned a bit as intl. travel seems to be quite a ways out there. But we'll make it.

@iancallike you re cruising we can take it or leave it. And talking to them sure does make me miss TRAVEL.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, clo said:

At lunch today we got to talking to two guys at the next table. I've been to six continents and Bob has been to seven. We've been to a fair number of places that many people haven't. But these guys have been EVERYWHERE! One has worked as a guide, SCUBA instructor, you name it. We couldn't name a single place that they didn't have great things to say about it. And some pretty darn obscure. It was so great to talk to them - probably interrupted their lunch too much but they seemed to be enjoying it also 🙂  I was in such a great mood afterwards. A few hours later that has waned a bit as intl. travel seems to be quite a ways out there. But we'll make it.

@iancallike you re cruising we can take it or leave it. And talking to them sure does make me miss TRAVEL.

My short response is that if you "miss travel" then travel!   This morning my own physician (who is about half my age) said there was no reason for us not to travel now that we have been vaccinated.  There is nothing we can do about the cruise stoppage, closed countries, etc.  But what we can do is take advantage of the travel opportunities that do exist.

Hank

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

My short response is that if you "miss travel" then travel! 

Er, allow me to remind you that there are many countries that are closed. And especially closed to the US. We've been traveling in the West and thoroughly enjoyed it. And are likely heading to SF soon which is opening.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Er, allow me to remind you that there are many countries that are closed. And especially closed to the US. We've been traveling in the West and thoroughly enjoyed it. And are likely heading to SF soon which is opening.

Egads, we are certainly aware of the various restrictions.  But some countries are open and more will be opening all the time.  Being very independent travelers we will simply take advantage to what is available (and of interest) and can do so on very short notice.  If nothing interesting opens for International travel we have no problem taking advantage of what we have in our own country.  That being said, we would only consider travel to States that are open...such as Florida and more recently, South Carolina.  

We are also closely watching what happens in Greece where the Minister of Tourism has expressed his desire to open his country, by the end of May, for those who have been vaccinated.   This may or may not happen.  Other countries such as Mexico, many island in the Caribbean, the Seychelles. etc. are already open for tourists.   Not so sure we will run back to San Francisco (the only city on earth that had its own human poop map) but we have an invite to Palm Springs which we might consider.  

Hank

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Being very independent travelers

LOL. We are "independent travelers." Fly in some place, rent a car, drive some place and look for a place to stay.

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That being said, we would only consider travel to States that are open...such as Florida and more recently, South Carolina. 

Holey moley, I wouldn't go there if you paid me. Especially Florida.

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Greece

No desire to return.

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Other countries such as Mexico, many island in the Caribbean, the Seychelles. etc. are already open for tourists.

Zero desire to return or even have a first visit to those. Blech.

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not so sure we will run back to San Francisco (the only city on earth that had its own human poop map) but we have an invite to Palm Springs which we might consider.  

We used to live in SF and still adore it. You clearly have an issue with the homeless tragedy whereas I try to give them food. Palm Springs? Too frigging SoCal for me. Except for the gay guys who I love.

Nighty night.

Travel in general with services and amenities not diminished. I have looked at many long weekend quick vacations and other Summer vacations. Pretty much all of them are more expensive than in general and all state services and amenities are limited. I don't mind spending the $4,000 for travel. However, I don't want to get $2,000 worth of vacation for that $4,000.

• Thanks 1

@clo why do you have no desire to return to Greece?

We were there on a HAL Eastern Mediterranean cruise. It was wonderful. Standing by the Parthenon was just awe inspiring.  We got lost in Santorini and stumbled upon a museum in a cave of early Santorini. When we asked the guide where we were on the HAL map we had, he laughed and said we were off the map. There must be lots of places off the beaten path that one could discover.

We would love to be back in Athens on a day other than Monday when the museums are closed. Also DW regrets not going swimming outside the ship in IIRC, Santorini.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were there on a HAL Eastern Mediterranean cruise. It was wonderful. Standing by the Parthenon was just awe inspiring.  We got lost in Santorini and stumbled upon a museum in a cave of early Santorini. When we asked the guide where we were on the HAL map we had, he laughed and said we were off the map. There must be lots of places off the beaten path that one could discover.

We would love to be back in Athens on a day other than Monday when the museums are closed. Also DW regrets not going swimming outside the ship in IIRC, Santorini.

Athens has been the starting point for a number of cruises for me and I always try to spend some days in Greece before or after. While not as much of a pull on my heartstrings as Italy is, I have a more than passing interest in both the Mycenaean sites and the Classical period, so there is plenty to see and do both off and on the beaten track.

One site I really enjoyed was a visit to Eleusis (modern name Elefsina), just outside of modern Athens in an unprepossessing suburb, but miles away from the modern world and VERY uncrowded.

Eleusis was the name of the sanctuary for what was the most well-known (and prestigious) mystery cult in the ancient world: the Eleusinian Mysteries. The "mysteries" that took place there probably pre-date Greek history and continued to be popular right through Roman times -- in fact, several emperors were inducted into the "cult".  

The place has a very interesting ambience about it. When I went with a traveling companion, I think we were the only people there with exception of one couple. There is a museum on site too with objects related to the mystery cult. 

Such a short trip out of crowded Athens, and so worth it!  But there are many others like it throughout Greece.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

LOL..................

Holey moley, I wouldn't go there if you paid me. Especially Florida

Nighty night.

There are parts of FL that I prefer to avoid, but other places such as Key West that both DW and I really enjoy.  My goodness we have even visited Nevada so why wouldn't we want to visit FL.  During the Pandemic, Florida has mainly remained open with lots of COVID mitigation measures (I would call it common sense).  So, for example, back in December when we went to Key West most restaurants were open (inside and out) but operating under strict social distancing rules.  One of our favorite Key West bars had even pushed small tables up against the bar so that anyone sitting at the bar was more then 6 feet from the bar tender.  I still remember going out to dinner at Bern's Steak House (a very famous restaurant in Tampa) in December.  That is a huge restaurant and they had implemented social distancing guidelines but could still serve several hundred patrons in their many smaller rooms.  

But I do think Florida has gotten some incorrect publicity (during COVID) from those with their own agendas.  For example, most parts of Florida did have (and still has) mask requirements.  When we were in Key West the city council had recently (the prior week) toughened their mask requirements to mandate that everyone had to wear a mask when outdoors except for a few places such as a pool or on a beach.  Unlike a few other jurisdictions, Key West did not enforce their mask rule by arresting folks (or forcing an older lady to the ground and putting her in handcuffs) but rather the local police carried extra masks which they would give out if necessary.  We actually watched a Key West Police Officer tell a couple they needed to wear masks and then handed them 2 masks (free) which the couple did put on.  The conversation was very friendly (we stood nearby and watched).

What recently (last week) happened in Miami Beach (not a place we like to visit) with the Spring Break crowds was very sad.  The local authorities quickly imposed curfews and other restrictions.  Expecting folks to use personal responsibility and common sense is part of our American culture and it is sad how we have seen that idea collapse in some areas.

Another reason we enjoy Florida is that it has often been the place where we embarked (or disembarked) on a cruise....be it a short Caribbean voyage or a very long HAL Grand cruise.  When we cruise out of Florida we normally fly-in a few days early to drive down to Key West or another area that we enjoy.

Hank

• Like 1

I wouldn't broad brush Florida from newspaper reports it is a large state in population and size as well as culture.

Even within communities like SWFL where we live, we find various approaches to COVID mitigation or COVID disinterest in the same.

Let's just say that there are plenty of extremes to be found in Florida all along the spectrum, but much of the normal, middle of the road stuff goes unreported.

Much of what is happening in Miami is also happening in the panhandle, yet that is underplayed in the tv news and national press.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

A couple of answers. Having been to Turkey we both felt that Athens couldn't hold a candle to it. Ephesus? Troy?

We loved the Greek ferries and visited three or four islands (can't remember and too lazy to look up). Santorini in spring was a crowded  nightmare. But the others (Naxos and Paros and/??) we loved. Great food everywhere, especially the octopus. But we have so many places that we haven't seen. Or so many places that we want to return to.

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There are parts of FL that I prefer to avoid, but other places such as Key West that both DW and I really enjoy.

Key West to me isn't even Florida. We've been there a couple of times and enjoyed it. But I don't think it represents Florida. More like an island.

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

During the Pandemic, Florida has mainly remained open with lots of COVID mitigation measures (I would call it common sense). 

No, I would call it stupid. We have a CA county that has only just reopened indoor dining with 25% capacity. It seems that you just like those places that pander to you.

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

I wouldn't broad brush Florida from newspaper reports it is a large state in population and size as well as culture.

Even within communities like SWFL where we live, we find various approaches to COVID mitigation or COVID disinterest in the same.

Let's just say that there are plenty of extremes to be found in Florida all along the spectrum, but much of the normal, middle of the road stuff goes unreported.

Much of what is happening in Miami is also happening in the panhandle, yet that is underplayed in the tv news and national press.

Thank you. Having grown up in Atlanta, Florida was pretty much where we vacationed. So it's not terribly appealing. Plus I hate heat and humidity. I actually learned to swim as a very little kid in Sarasota so I have fond memories. 

7 hours ago, clo said:

Key West to me isn't even Florida. We've been there a couple of times and enjoyed it. But I don't think it represents Florida. More like an island.

I think residents of Key West consider their home not only not part of Florida, but a nation onto itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1