What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?

ilikeanswers

What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you miss more cruising or travel in general?

• Cruising
    • Travel

If it was announced there was a travel bubble with some country I would be on one of the first flights😂. I'm not too fussed if there is cruise available but I'm getting itchy feet and just want to cross an international border. Anyone else feel the same? If a destination opened up would you be happy to just go even if cruises haven't restarted or are you one of those that miss the ship and couldn't imagine a holiday without a cruise?

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

Same here.  We can be packed and gone in an hour.  We have two or three destinations in mind for a late fall southern Europe trip and are hoping that we can get back to snow birding in SE Asia/Australia.  Or perhaps an AI with family at Xmas.

We have stopped thinking about it.  IF it happens we will go.  If not, well at least we have our health.

We expect to do land travel well before we book another cruise.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've replaced 2 cancelled cruises with road trips to Florida over the past 4 months.  Wished that we could have gotten on a ship once we were there.    However, the inability to travel overseas is a drag since we can't even plan a Europe trip right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I miss going to the grocery store to shop

because others are out  running around & having parties  & keeping us in lockdown   because the rules do not apply to selfish people

• Haha 1

I miss travel. Cruising is just one travel bucket for me. International travel is my big "thing" and I miss it, whether it's a Mediterranean cruise or a longer stay somewhere in Europe or even a specialized tour of classical sites. 

A cruise to nowhere or to a few beachy islands would not do much for me, even now after staying within a few miles of home for the last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I miss travel in general. I have made several trips down to Florida so I can get my sunshine fix but I'd prefer to get to even warmer weather during the winter months. Last September we booked a flight to St. Thomas and the very next day the governor closed the island. We considered Mexico but we don't want to worry about the logistics of getting a test or having to quarantine. Work is stressful and I just want to be able to relax. That was the appeal of cruising to me; very few decisions/coordinating involved!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HxFx said:

I miss travel in general. I have made several trips down to Florida so I can get my sunshine fix but I'd prefer to get to even warmer weather during the winter months. Last September we booked a flight to St. Thomas and the very next day the governor closed the island. We considered Mexico but we don't want to worry about the logistics of getting a test or having to quarantine. Work is stressful and I just want to be able to relax. That was the appeal of cruising to me; very few decisions/coordinating involved!

We briefly considered Cozumel right before they announced the pre-return covid test.  After we committed to Florida/Key West, Cozumel resorts started including covid tests.  Decided it wasn't worth the extra hassle.   

Cruising is far simpler and relaxing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruising, we really miss the care free vacation style. No driving once you arrive a terminal, no moving hotels, not having to worry about food/drinks, kids have a great time, lots of interesting people, seeing different areas & land/seascapes. Top vacation choice for us for sure. It actually feels like a vacation, other vacations where you have to worry about all the extra stuff and extra driving/travel can seem like a chore when it's all said and done. Cruising is truly relaxing. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If it was announced there was a travel bubble with some country I would be on one of the first flights😂. I'm not too fussed if there is cruise available but I'm getting itchy feet and just want to cross an international border. Anyone else feel the same? If a destination opened up would you be happy to just go even if cruises haven't restarted or are you one of those that miss the ship and couldn't imagine a holiday without a cruise?

Iceland has just said they will accept vaccinated Americans.  EM

I've taken a few quick road trips to keep my sanity.  Rented a cabin in a state park for 4 nights last September, and went to Gatlinburg for 3 days before Christmas.  Made an overnight trip to Chattanooga at New Year's, and will be spending 3 days in Helen, GA in 2 weeks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way things are going, the idea of a relaxing cruise is long way off...

Here I can't see cruise ship being allow until full vaccination, which will not be done until early next year... our cruise season is October to March...   so I see the 2021/2022 season slipping by.....  maybe the 2022/2023 season, which to us to too far away to plan....    So be it.... back to driving and road trips.....

And one must remember at least 3-4 months lead time to get everything up and running,  so another reason to right off the up coming season.

Don 

• Like 1

The UK lockdown has been so strict this winter, that anywhere with a decent pub/restaurant will be worth travelling to, when we're allowed...

But four cruise lines are setting sail this June and July- going nowhere, or as P&O says, following the sun! So that won't be travelling so much as eating out at sea...  😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I've taken a few quick road trips to keep my sanity.  Rented a cabin in a state park for 4 nights last September, and went to Gatlinburg for 3 days before Christmas.  Made an overnight trip to Chattanooga at New Year's, and will be spending 3 days in Helen, GA in 2 weeks.  

Hey Roz😃 I was in Helen many, many years ago!  I remember it being a really neat little place!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

For me it is not either/or, it is both. 

But at least if you can never cruise again you can still travel. There seem to be those who won't and I think that's sad.

• Like 2

Travel. For us cruises are a means to an end and are for visiting places that may not have modern infrastructure, are hard to reach by other travel modes or where a short port visit is sufficient to see what we want to see.

This is why a "cruise to nowhere" has about the same appeal as root canal surgery.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Cruising, we really miss the care free vacation style. No driving once you arrive a terminal, no moving hotels, not having to worry about food/drinks, kids have a great time, lots of interesting people, seeing different areas & land/seascapes. Top vacation choice for us for sure. It actually feels like a vacation, other vacations where you have to worry about all the extra stuff and extra driving/travel can seem like a chore when it's all said and done. Cruising is truly relaxing. 

DW and I have had this conversation.  Cruising is a vacation.  Land-tours are trips.  We enjoy both, but they have different purposes.  1 unpack & relax is totally different than our last Europe trip which saw us in 11 different hotels over a 3 week period.  We covered serious ground and had a fantastic time, but it wasn't relaxing until we were at the last hotel on the last night near the airport with a drink in hand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D C said:

DW and I have had this conversation.  Cruising is a vacation.  Land-tours are trips.  We enjoy both, but they have different purposes.  1 unpack & relax is totally different than our last Europe trip which saw us in 11 different hotels over a 3 week period.  We covered serious ground and had a fantastic time, but it wasn't relaxing until we were at the last hotel on the last night near the airport with a drink in hand. 

I don't know about that distinction. When you are married to an art teacher and there are many museums in port, that can end up as much of a trip as a land trip.

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I don't know about that distinction. When you are married to an art teacher and there are many museums in port, that can end up as much of a trip as a land trip.

Do y'all ever just split up each to do their own thing and then meet up for lunch?

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Do y'all ever just split up each to do their own thing and then meet up for lunch?

Not really. We have a few times done our own thing and met on the ship, but we do museums together. She does linger at pieces of art a lot longer than I do. Plus I often jump around to works that catch my eye or read the plaques up with the artwork more than her.

And she does not do lunch!  When we had our St. Petersburg Alla tour she wanted to skip lunch in the Hermitage. No one else would go along with that, but we did end up with a compromise where we cut the lunch time in half.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not really. We have a few times done our own thing and met on the ship, but we do museums together. She does linger at pieces of art a lot longer than I do. Plus I often jump around to works that catch my eye or read the plaques up with the artwork more than her.

And she does not do lunch!  When we had our St. Petersburg Alla tour she wanted to skip lunch in the Hermitage. No one else would go along with that, but we did end up with a compromise where we cut the lunch time in half.

Mrs.Woodstock must have really enjoyed the art museums in Peru .

My daughter was there with an Education group and they went to many of the cultural sites.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:28 AM, ilikeanswers said:

I miss the serenity of a relaxing cruise.

• Thanks 1

I miss travel but being on the cusp of retirement a lot of my daydreaming was tied up with cruising.  I am now revisiting the atlas and catching small bites of the US that I have passed over before, at least those that are open.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1