Miami-Dade Mayor Sends Letter To CDC In Hopes Of Restarting Cruise Industry

denamo

On 3/19/2021 at 9:54 AM, M&A said:

How can the cruise lines vaccinate them?   where would they get the vaccine?   

There are people all over the world waiting to be vaccinated by their governments.

Can Royal Caribbean buy the vaccine and get delivery ahead of countries ?   

This is going to be one of the biggest issues for sailing again, finding enough crew members that have been vaccinated.

There is vaccine on the open market for corporations to purchase. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, Crazy planning mom said:

No, they clamped down on cruises because there was no vaccine and the virus was spreading.  Studies from Israel show that the vaccine reduces transmission of the virus.

Some just want to strictly follow negative side of the news. It appears that science has moved off the two way boulevard and now on a one way interstate.  

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Auntiemomo said:

There was a Dr. on the news the other day who was asked where they came up with the 6' rule of distancing.  He basically said it was a good guess.  In other words, they just pulled it out of their arses.  It's becoming all political nowadays.  Just trying to cover all their butts.  There's no science to it whatsoever because science says schools can open, and schools are not opening.

It was a guess for Covid but they did not pull it out of their arses. Six feet was the distance determined  years ago for TB in schools. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There is vaccine on the open market for corporations to purchase. 

Really?  so corporations are getting deliveries before countries.  Many countries are still waiting for deliveries.   The US just sent 1.5 million doses to Canada because Canada just can't get delivery,  the US also sent 4 million doses to Mexico

Edited by M&A

15 minutes ago, M&A said:

Really?  so corporations are getting deliveries before countries.  Many countries are still waiting for deliveries.  

Well CVS is a corporation. There are probably many ways to get vaccination deliveries on the planet. At least 46 nations have declared maritime workers essential workers. So I think there will be several ways the crew can get vaccinated. 

My guess would be Royal will procur vaccines for the crew from the Bahamas. Also all Royal ships are flagged in the Bahamas.

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Well CVS is a corporation. There are probably many ways to get vaccination deliveries on the planet. At least 46 nations have declared maritime workers essential workers. So I think there will be several ways the crew can get vaccinated. 

My guess would be Royal will procur vaccines for the crew from the Bahamas.

CVS, Walgreens, Publix etc were given the vaccine by the state/federal to help with distribution.  They didn't go out and buy it.  The government had previously procured it from the drug makers.

Yes maritime workers are essential workers by some countries,  but the workers on cruise ships would belong to the country that they are flagged in.  I think RCI's are the Bahamas

1 minute ago, M&A said:

Yes maritime workers are essential workers by some countries,  but the workers on cruise ships would belong to the country that they are flagged in.  I think RCI's are the Bahamas

Yes. All Royal Caribbean ships are flagged in the Bahamas. And since the cruises announced are sailing out of the Bahamas there would have to be an agreement made to allow those sailings. 

9 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

This study indicates that people who have had C19 or have been vaccinated for C19 will not contract the virus and have antibodies months later. IMO it’s time to start cruising. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777898

It doesn't take much searching to find "experts" who feel just the opposite or are not sure one way or the other. JAMA has no vote in this situation but if it makes you happy, go for it.

39 minutes ago, M&A said:

Really?  so corporations are getting deliveries before countries.  Many countries are still waiting for deliveries.   The US just sent 1.5 million doses to Canada because Canada just can't get delivery,  the US also sent 4 million doses to Mexico

The Russian government is openly selling their Sputnik-V vaccine to anyone with cash, government entity or private. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Auntiemomo said:

There was a Dr. on the news the other day who was asked where they came up with the 6' rule of distancing.  He basically said it was a good guess.  In other words, they just pulled it out of their arses.  It's becoming all political nowadays.  Just trying to cover all their butts.  There's no science to it whatsoever because science says schools can open, and schools are not opening.

That doctor didn't know what he was talking about. A year ago there were multiple studies testing how far virus particles can travel. Kids have smaller lungs, so can expel particles a shorter distance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/03/825639323/scientists-probe-how-coronavirus-might-travel-through-the-air&ved=2ahUKEwj8kqHG6MHvAhXITd8KHdnlA10QFjAMegQIFRAC&usg=AOvVaw07EBBzK4n1ItyNV4Ga9eyI

1 hour ago, M&A said:

With much due respect to your post.... countries are customers! J&J, Pfizer, and Moderna all are making HUGE bank in the sell of the vaccines. Governments are lining up paying gauranteed money that is most likely overpriced. To these companies and really to the entire world, an arm is an arm. The sooner arms get vaxed up the better the chances of beating back the pandemic... or so we've been told. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

With much due respect to your post.... countries are customers! J&J, Pfizer, and Moderna all are making HUGE bank in the sell of the vaccines. Governments are lining up paying gauranteed money that is most likely overpriced. To these companies and really to the entire world, an arm is an arm. The sooner arms get vaxed up the better the chances of beating back the pandemic... or so we've been told. 

You are 100% correct, this is a consumer driven world, as much as we all want the "feel good" story of taking on the bad guy regardless the cost, the fact is money makes this all happen.

I can't speak to Pfizer or Moderna, but I can to J&J as I have some research study dealings with them; J&J is selling the first 100 million doses "at cost", $10 per dose - so no profit YET. J&J did however receive 465 million dollar R&D grant.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:27 AM, d9704011 said:

Yes, and that unfortunate business that thousands of vaccinated people may still carry and spread the virus as they travel to/from the port and around the country.  Pretty much the reason the CDC clamped down on cruising to begin with.

Royal Caribbean has been running cruises in Singapore with strict Covid protocols, vaccinated passengers and no issues thus far. Plus the U.K. has opened cruising to British pax, along with Bahamas and cruises from Israel to begin this summer. 

The CDC needs to at the very least put forth a timeline for when cruising can re-start in the United States. Surely, by August when 90% of American will have been vaccinated. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yes but I think you missed my point.   Countries are buying up vaccines and poorer countries are way behind in deliveries.  I'm not sure if the cruise industry can go out and buy the vaccine and have it delivered before some countries.    Crew members must be vaccinated if they are requiring passengers to be vaccinated.  It's going to be difficult to recruit crew that are vaccinated if they are coming from countries such as Indonesia, Phillipines, India etc

If RCI and Carnival etc have gone out and bought vaccines that's great but I'm skeptical that they can jump in ahead of countries to get vaccines delivered.  Is cruising an essential industry?

5 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

Royal Caribbean has been running cruises in Singapore with strict Covid protocols, vaccinated passengers and no issues thus far. Plus the U.K. has opened cruising to British pax, along with Bahamas cruising to begin this summer. 

The CDC needs to at the very least put forth a timeline for when cruising can re-start in the United States. Surely, by August when 90% of American will have been vaccinated. 

Jonathan

Yes hopefully by August, as of this morning 121 MILLION people have been vaccinated in the US.  Initially there was a slow delivery but in 3 months they have vaccinated 121m.   In another 3 months, by the end of June they should reach 250 m or close to 90%  

• Like 1

I think the important thing the OP was alluding to in their post is that it's encouraging to see local governments starting to push back against the CDC and requesting at the very least a timeline for when cruising is likely to resume. 

Thus far it has been nothing but, crickets from the CDC much to the consternation of the cruise industry, the thousands of employees, vendors and millions of passengers waiting to cruise. Senator Lisa Murkowsky of Alaska failed to get a straight answer from CDC head Dr. Walensky after the the the senator asked for information on when cruising my begin.

Once congress and local government start to push back in force against the CDC we might finally see the re-start of cruising in the U.S. 

Jonathan  

Edited by cruiserking
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, M&A said:

Yes but I think you missed my point.   Countries are buying up vaccines and poorer countries are way behind in deliveries.  I'm not sure if the cruise industry can go out and buy the vaccine and have it delivered before some countries.    Crew members must be vaccinated if they are requiring passengers to be vaccinated.  It's going to be difficult to recruit crew that are vaccinated if they are coming from countries such as Indonesia, Phillipines, India etc

If RCI and Carnival etc have gone out and bought vaccines that's great but I'm skeptical that they can jump in ahead of countries to get vaccines delivered.  Is cruising an essential industry?

Essential? Interesting question. Even more interesting is who thinks they're special enough to determine who and what is to be considered essential.  As far as poor countries, again arms are arms. The crew's arms are just as important as my arm and that of the arms of what/who you consider to be poor.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

I think the important thing the OP was alluding to in their post is that it's encouraging to see local governments starting to push back against the CDC and requesting at the very least a timeline for when cruising is likely to resume. 

Thus far it has been nothing but, crickets from the CDC much to the consternation of the cruise industry, the thousands of employees, vendors and millions of passengers waiting to cruise. Senator Lisa Murkowsky of Alaska failed to get a straight answer from CDC head Dr. Walensky after the the the senator asked for information on when cruising my begin.

Once congress and local government start to push back in force against the CDC we might finally see the re-start of cruising in the U.S. 

Jonathan  

The old regime, and the new regime, have not stepped in and it’s been going on for over a year. The vaccine seems to be the answer, and since cruising has said they don’t see cruises starting up until at least June 1. That is over two months time to continue vaccinations which means a majority of the adults should be good to go. That’s if opening up in Texas and Florida (especially spring break) don’t come back to undo all the good so far.

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The old regime, and the new regime, have not stepped in and it’s been going on for over a year. The vaccine seems to be the answer, and since cruising has said they don’t see cruises starting up until at least June 1. That is over two months time to continue vaccinations which means a majority of the adults should be good to go. That’s if opening up in Texas and Florida (especially spring break) don’t come back to undo all the good so far.

There are quite a few states now open, not just Texas & Florida. I do think that Texas will see an increase in posiitve testing only because of the border crisis. It's really really bad down there and it is gong to create unforseen problems in many areas besides covid. The large metros of Houston, Dallas/FtWorth, San Antonio and Austin are where the illegals flock to avoid detection. Wearing a mask or sitting in a restzurant at 50% capacity won't change that. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I do think that Texas will see an increase in posiitve testing only because of the border crisis. It's really really bad down there

There may be an increase of COVID cases in Texas, but probably it will be more pronounced along South Padre Island area and other spring break destinations than along the border. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

Jonathan  

"As the nation's health protection agency, CDC saves lives and protects people from health, safety, and security threats." In other words the CDC is not supposed to decide because of pushback from politicians. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M&A said:

Doses being sent are of Astra, a Vaccine to be approved use in US. We can't use them yet so doing us any good sitting on shelves. Officially these are a "Loan" 

Edited by ONECRUISER

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

"As the nation's health protection agency, CDC saves lives and protects people from health, safety, and security threats." In other words the CDC is not supposed to decide because of pushback from politicians. 

No one is trying to pressure the CDC to start cruising in an unsafe manner. The CDC has issued nothing but, radio silence for ages and  it's high time they made an effort to at least provide a framework or a time line for when cruising might safely re-start here in the U.S.A. 

When CDC head Dr. Walensky was recently questioned on cruises re-starting by Senator Murkowski, Walenski had no response and claimed it wasn't her call and that other government departments would also be part of the decision. 

So many countries around the world have made an effort to begin cruising again, the CDC at the least can address the issues; will vaccines be needed, will test cruises still have to happen and what potential date a start up can gear up for here in the U.S.A. . 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Like 1