Will Carnival Follow Royal’s.Lead with Cruises Restarting Someplace Else

Oldsweets

What really irritates me is the blatant double standard for airlines bs cruise ships. Table the part of the “circulating air” on a plane and all of the new “filters” you still have to wear a mask, but ALL but one US airline blocks the middle seat. 220-300 people per flight, with a connection, off the plane, in the airport, back in the plane and that is somehow mitigating the spread or Covid? It is laughable to say the airlines are being held to the same standard as cruiselines. What is worse? Being self contained for 6 or 7 days or off and on a plane at airports with thousands of people from all over the US

• Like 4

1 minute ago, joeyancho said:

I wonder if Carnival has considered Ensenada as a departure port for Mexican Riviera cruises.  Just a short drive from San Diego. 

And no testing required at the land border in either direction.  Discussed this in another non-Carnival thread.  Park in the lot on the US side, walk across, take a shuttle bus to Ensenada.

The only downside appears to be long waits at the border for entry to the US.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

What really irritates me is the blatant double standard for airlines bs cruise ships. Table the part of the “circulating air” on a plane and all of the new “filters” you still have to wear a mask, but ALL but one US airline blocks the middle seat. 220-300 people per flight, with a connection, off the plane, in the airport, back in the plane and that is somehow mitigating the spread or Covid? It is laughable to say the airlines are being held to the same standard as cruiselines. What is worse? Being self contained for 6 or 7 days or off and on a plane at airports with thousands of people from all over the US

I think the cruiselines need to pay their "science tax" just like the airlines and sponsor a study to conclude they are just as safe.  That United Airlines study seems to have been the silver bullet for the airlines to counter any accusation about Covid safety.  There is no reason the cruiselines couldn't pool their money for a nice $5 million grant to some researchers to produce a similar result.

• Like 1

We will never get to a point where the CDC thinks it is safe to cruise until the airlines stop bringing in all the different viruses into country.  So I say .... the CDC will not regulate airline transmission thus the COVID rate will not be acceptable for cruising for for a year or two ..... maybe longer so I say go ahead cruise companies start sailing away from the US ... you need cash flow now .... there are a group of us cruisers that will gladly fly into the Caribbean or Mexico to cruise.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

There is no doubt the CDC was interfered with last year or that misinformation was fraudulently released pretending to be official CDC

Did you start reading with post 115? Nothing to do with last year. I gave it to you as I thought you might be interested. It's about NOW, the senator from alaska asked the cdc about cruising and they passed the buck ..and the video on the next page. ... skip ahead to the post I mentioned to start with.  Not last year. The link above was added last night to a older thread. It's the new posts starting with 115.

Post 115 is a cut and paste of the link above. Maybe you just didnt read, idk, but I thought you might like to read what was said recently. If you arent interested it's fine, but your reply about last year indicates you didnt read what the link said. Just pontificating. No worries. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Adult passports last for what 7 years? More? If they cant handle $135 spread over 7 years, it's taking a big risk to cruise and get hurt in a port they cant afford if they are that poor. You can take your own picture free, my dad has done mine, last time I paid about $12.99 at CVS and you mention postage. Yes it's a lot to renew, but the risk costs even more of not having one.

If this is why people dont like the idea of cruising out of another port, they cant afford the risk of cruising. Save up until they can afford it. At the higher prices of cruises right now, passports are a small amount. 

Though I did mention the reasons stated including too broke to buy a passport. These cruises will probably cost even more than normal. Airfare from texas not cheap (someone checked and about 550 pp out of dallas right now). I can understand someone saying they dont want to pay the extra airfare but not because they cant afford passports which cost less.

I've always been extra good at managing money.  Better than friends. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Personally I'm going to wait. I got the friends of Bella the dog cruise in march 2023 which will be my splurge .. not this june out of nassau with tests and vaccination proof and flights and probably hotel. Too much for me. I wouldnt do it just to get on a ship. Real life enough. Planning another visit to florida beaches for a condo I'm buying. Probably flying. When cruising out of Galveston resumes im there.  Only easy peasy stuff. I seem to be the only one saying no it's too complicated.

It's kind or irritating and arrogant when people automatically accuse others of "not being able to afford" something simply because they choose not to spend their money on something they don't see much value in. There are many reasons why a passport isn't a great value, particularly if it will only be used for cruising or single trip or two. That is why there are so many people who don't have passports. This seems to come up also with cabin choice (people staying in inside cabins can't afford a balcony) and even flight situations. Someone assumed I couldn't afford to fly simply because I don't enjoy flying. Choosing not to spend your money on something isn't the same as not being able to afford something. You know the old saying about assumptions.    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

And no testing required at the land border in either direction.  Discussed this in another non-Carnival thread.  Park in the lot on the US side, walk across, take a shuttle bus to Ensenada.

The only downside appears to be long waits at the border for entry to the US.

Ah no, the border is still closed to essential travel only. Tourism is restricted.

Edited by pc_load_letter

14 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Ah no, the border is still closed to essential travel only.

For non-citizens.  Any US citizen arriving at the US land border will be admitted without any test requirements.  There are no entry restrictions to Mexico.

Edit:  Looks like Mexico did add some kind of restriction last week.  But evidence suggests it only applies to Mexico's southern border.  Southbound traffic from the US is still waved through without even asking for the purpose of the travel.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2021/03/19/mexico-covid-border-restrictions-start-no-change-in-el-paso/4766215001/

"Observers suggested the restrictions are unlikely to be implemented at the economically crucial northern border — and instead may be used as a tool to stop the flow of migrants at Mexico's southern border, placating the Biden administration."

Edited by jfunk138

32 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It's kind or irritating and arrogant when people automatically accuse others of "not being able to afford" something simply because they choose not to spend their money on something they don't see much value in. There are many reasons why a passport isn't a great value, particularly if it will only be used for cruising or single trip or two. That is why there are so many people who don't have passports. This seems to come up also with cabin choice (people staying in inside cabins can't afford a balcony) and even flight situations. Someone assumed I couldn't afford to fly simply because I don't enjoy flying. Choosing not to spend your money on something isn't the same as not being able to afford something. You know the old saying about assumptions.    

Good point.....why would it be a good thing for a family of 4 who only cruise every 4 or 5 years to hold the passport?  I carry a passport for international travel,etc.  Never had a problem with Birth Certificates in all the years we cruised prior to getting a passport.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

....and there you go assuming ....when I did not accuse people of not being able to afford a passport. I was responding to other posts saying that ...and said IF they couldnt ... you seem to be a expert on assumptions and what I really meant but didnt say.... and there was also a thread on the cost and discussion which wasnt specific to carnival and got moved. 

This thread was about carnival following royals lead and trying to restart closer to the usa since it is looking like no cruises before the CSO is lifted nov 1st from the usa ..and some said it wouldnt work with carnival, too many newbies who dont have passports. You seem very defensive about your choices to spend money on. Why make assumptions about what I might have meant instead of sticking to the thread subject? 

4 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Not sure, but it is starting to sound as if NCL is shifting ships to port from island nations shortly. They put a signup on their page for good news to commence sailing soon on their site.

will be interesting to find out what thats about thanks for the heads up

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

....and there you go assuming ....when I did not accuse people of not being able to afford a passport. I was responding to other posts saying that ...and said IF they couldnt ... you seem to be a expert on assumptions and what I really meant but didnt say.... and there was also a thread on the cost and discussion which wasnt specific to carnival and got moved. 

This thread was about carnival following royals lead and trying to restart closer to the usa since it is looking like no cruises before the CSO is lifted nov 1st from the usa ..and some said it wouldnt work with carnival, too many newbies who dont have passports. You seem very defensive about your choices to spend money on. Why make assumptions about what I might have meant instead of sticking to the thread subject? 

"

Adult passports last for what 7 years? More? If they cant handle $135 spread over 7 years, it's taking a big risk to cruise and get hurt in a port they cant afford if they are that poor. You can take your own picture free, my dad has done mine, last time I paid about $12.99 at CVS and you mention postage. Yes it's a lot to renew, but the risk costs even more of not having one.

If this is why people dont like the idea of cruising out of another port, they cant afford the risk of cruising. Save up until they can afford it. At the higher prices of cruises right now, passports are a small amount. "

It's just as arrogant of me saying "oh you live in TX, you must not be able to afford California". You're far from the only one as I've seen a lot of arrogant posts make similar references and assumptions.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

I think it's pretty clear these "test cruises" from island homeports will not be targeted to the price sensitive.  But if you've got a stimulus check burning a hole in your pocket, the cruiselines want a piece of the action any way they can get it.

No matter what way you slice it, except for Ensenada there's some airtravel to an island involved, which is generally not cheap.  Ensenada could take the air travel cost out of the picture, but the Mexican Riviera can only handle so many ships.

2 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

There is no sense trying to talk to Blerk with any  facts. He/she doesn't want to hear it. That's what I was trying to post last night but the link didn't work unfortunately. 

At least it gave Blerk an opportunity to be a sarcastic jerk. I'm sure he/she felt so superior.

Allow me to correct - I don't fall for alt-facts.

6 hours ago, kdr69 said:

It seems to me that the Center for Disease Control would have authority over any Disease/Virus related issue that could be brought into the United States or have an impact on the United States regardless of industry or location, Domestic or International.  Its their entire mandate for existence.  Its in their name "Disease Control"  not " Disease Control but only if it arrives by ship" Saying that they have no control over International Flights that could be carrying a highly contagious virus or mitigation of spread once inside the United States is hard for me to believe.  They handle these issues on a daily basis. Measles, Anthrax, Ebola, COVID, Bird Flu, etc etc and even travel abroad to assist other countries with outbreaks.  The list is long and they all dont arrive via Cruise ships. Or am i missing something?  

For international travel, they must have some authority because they have issued an order requiring a Covid test before arrival. Whether that power extends to a level where they could stop international travel, I don't know for certain but I doubt it. I would think that would be the FAA's call.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Not sure who led, but I think Carnival is starting cruises in Italy in July (Costa).

The OP implied CCL, not one of the subsidiaries of Carnival Corporation.  Princess is also doing UK cruises during the summer.

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Did you start reading with post 115? Nothing to do with last year. I gave it to you as I thought you might be interested. It's about NOW, the senator from alaska asked the cdc about cruising and they passed the buck ..and the video on the next page. ... skip ahead to the post I mentioned to start with.  Not last year. The link above was added last night to a older thread. It's the new posts starting with 115.

Post 115 is a cut and paste of the link above. Maybe you just didnt read, idk, but I thought you might like to read what was said recently. If you arent interested it's fine, but your reply about last year indicates you didnt read what the link said. Just pontificating. No worries. 

Now I finally did, even though I don't think Cruisehive is very credible. For example the new CDC director (who wasn't in that position LAST YEAR, when the last CDC cruising directive was published), stated it wasn't SOLELY up to her. How that got morphed into the CDC has nothing to do with it is pure propaganda.

Why the senator didn't immediately get the others mentioned onto the phone and ask them the same question is a mystery.  Continuing to badger someone who wasn't in the decision making process at the time is odd.

• Like 1