Hawaii cruise Pride of America

shipsealand

9 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

just got this e-mail this morning.  

It's also on the main NCL website. First cancellation notice in a while. The timing is curious with an earnings call on Friday,,, normally you don't put out "bad news" around your call. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:
We have been working diligently towards our resumption of operations, focusing on providing you with the very best experience while
keeping your health and safety at the forefront. This means however, that we must unfortunately cancel Norwegian’s Pride of America
voyages with embarkation dates from November 27, 2021 through and including January 15, 2022

Yikes!  We were originally booked in March, 2020 and, now, after four previous cancellations, we're scheduled for February, 2022, so we may be one of the first to go.  (Fingers crossed & saying a prayer.)  I guess we'll just have to wait and see how far into the future NCL cancels POA cruises.  So sorry to hear that your November cruise was canceled!  (We were booked on her in October at one point, but that was canceled months ago.)

23 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:
We have been working diligently towards our resumption of operations, focusing on providing you with the very best experience while
keeping your health and safety at the forefront. This means however, that we must unfortunately cancel Norwegian’s Pride of America
voyages with embarkation dates from November 27, 2021 through and including January 15, 2022

Holy crap, that is one long delay. At least their won't be any rush getting it out of dry dock Lol. I wonder if it will be a cold shutdown on the ship

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Yikes!  We were originally booked in March, 2020 and, now, after four previous cancellations, we're scheduled for February, 2022, so we may be one of the first to go.  (Fingers crossed & saying a prayer.)  I guess we'll just have to wait and see how far into the future NCL cancels POA cruises.  So sorry to hear that your November cruise was canceled!  (We were booked on her in October at one point, but that was canceled months ago.)

I am not surprised at all. February is a long way way, BUT.... I think Hawaii cancellations have much to do with the local government.. I have a reasonably good pulse on Maui (other islands maybe different) and currently the Mayor has asked airlines to put a 'pause' on tourism. The island is over-crowded partially because people are not comfortable traveling out of the country at this time. There is a growing anti-tourism sentiment.Things need to really improve with the idea of sustainable tourism if Maui is ever to welcome back cruise ships. BUT... on a good note, I'll be on Maui all winter so let me know if you want a private tour hahahah 🙂

• Like 5

Yep, received the NCL email this morning, letting us know our rescheduled cruise has now also been cancelled... along with all POA cruises through and including January 15, 2022.    😒

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, Cindy said:

I’m getting discouraged and feeling less optimistic about our March 26 POA cruise. If it gets cancelled again I’m ready to admit defeat and ask for a refund.😢

We are losing our optimism as well.  Originally booked PoA for Sept 2020, rebooked and rebooked and rebooked yet again, now set for Sept 2022.  It's so far away, and so many other things are going on in our lives (elderly parents' needs) that it's hard to maintain enthusiasm for vacationing at all let alone a beautiful Hawaiian cruise. 

Yep, cancelled cancelled & cancelled.

Well, since not available with Norwegian... we switched over to a Princess

15-day Hawaii cruise, roundtrip from Los Angeles (11/20 - 12/05   2021).

Might still be in Hawaii for our 50th wedding anniversary.  😍

We prefer to cruise Hawaii with Norwegian, although Princess is our favorite cruise line.

Edited by AZTX

Message from local Hawaiians, including the Governor now is that ... "stay away from visiting Hawaii for now"  "Oahu is going to suspend and restrict large gatherings, hence tougher restrictions are coming, nobody is in favor of a total lockdown - most certainly the tourism sector. "  Chatted with extended family there and it is sad, but they aren't alone suffering from the pandemic fallouts.  

Read about the news here - 

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/24/hawaii-news/gov-david-ige-tells-visitors-to-stay-away-from-hawaii/

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/24/hawaii-news/oahu-to-suspend-large-gatherings-hawaii-county-expected-to-follow/

We missed Turtle Bay on Oahu's north shore - wishing and planning to go back, probably later instead, not soon enough.  Good luck to those planning to cruise later this year ... hotel prices, shortage of rental cars, etc. just mad crazy on top of everything else. 

Hawaii is in a tough position. They have very limited ICU resources statewide. For several weeks, they have been moving people between hospitals and even moving people between islands, but now that doesn't work. Over 500 medical workers with different skill sets are arriving from the mainland to help surge and support the hospitals. 

An interesting statistic was that 10% of those hospitalized for COVID were fully vaccinated. So in addition to breakthrough cases, there are breakthrough cases resulting in serious illness. 

Ige is tying to minimize the risk of continued spread at rates that have been much, much, much higher than the worst part of the COVID outbreak over the past several weeks. But, statistically, the source of spread is not the tourist coming in. It is the locals and their resistance to getting the vaccine. Vaccination rates continue to lag the rest of the country with large pockets of unvaccinated people. Ige's plea is to let the state take care of their people and not have the added burden of sick visitors. 

And it’s  not just Oahu that is experiencing difficulty. All the islands are effected. Besides the urging of the governor and island(county) mayors to stay home, the governor of maui actually asked airlines to restrict flights. Kauai is threatening another lock down. 

I have been saying for months ( and still believe) that  Hawaii will be the last state to open to cruise ships. I know my opinion is unpopular here, but January will be a stretch. It’s not just the variants, it’s local sentiment toward travelers and especially cruisers. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/hawaiian-locals-beg-tourists-stay-home-citing-covid/story%3fid=79617531

On 8/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is the most current state wide restrictions. Like last year, Each island may impose additional restrictions. Expires September 22 if not extended. 

97719D24-EF8F-47A0-AA01-53D7BA92ED26.jpeg

Thank you, @BermudaBound2014.  Not looking good for our February. 2022 cruise.  🤕

3 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Thank you, @BermudaBound2014.  Not looking good for our February. 2022 cruise.  🤕

I hear you, it's really sad. I arrive in Maui first week of January and can give you some live updates then, in the meantime I'm monitoring closely. If these restrictions keep up, the number of my family and friends who come to visit me over the long winter will be impacted :(. 

It's really tough for Hawaii right now. Their resources are limited due to location. There are a large number of nurses on their way to provide back up, but the islands face additional challenges that the mainland can avoid.

I have been saying all along that Hawaii will be the last to open, but even I didn't see this coming. They are talking another lock down as a possibility.  I may need to quarantine upon arrival. Nothing is off the table. One saving grace here is that we are moving into slow tourism months. Shoulder season and the Governor's request could reduce tourism enough to give the state a chance to get back on their feet.

January (me) and February (you) are still a long way away. I'm not losing hope, but I'm monitoring closely and remaining flexible to any changes. It's such a difficult time to plan any travel months out now. The situation remains fluid.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I hear you, it's really sad. I arrive in Maui first week of January and can give you some live updates then, in the meantime I'm monitoring closely. If these restrictions keep up, the number of my family and friends who come to visit me over the long winter will be impacted :(. 

It's really tough for Hawaii right now. Their resources are limited due to location. There are a large number of nurses on their way to provide back up, but the islands face additional challenges that the mainland can avoid.

I have been saying all along that Hawaii will be the last to open, but even I didn't see this coming. They are talking another lock down as a possibility.  I may need to quarantine upon arrival. Nothing is off the table. One saving grace here is that we are moving into slow tourism months. Shoulder season and the Governor's request could reduce tourism enough to give the state a chance to get back on their feet.

January (me) and February (you) are still a long way away. I'm not losing hope, but I'm monitoring closely and remaining flexible to any changes. It's such a difficult time to plan any travel months out now. The situation remains fluid.

Thank you, @BermudaBound2014, I'd love to hear about what the climate is in Maui when you arrive in January.  I hope things are a lot better, not only for the sake of the Islands, but so that you don't have to quarantine & your friends & family will be free to visit.  I guess we all just have to remain flexible as things won't be returning to "normal" anytime soon.  Praying that things improve by then!

• Like 1