Britannia Resraunt Menus

intel

Previously the Dinner Menu included standard items of Fish, Chicken and steak if the offerings for the day were not to your liking. They were dropped from the menu but were still available with the approval of the Head that the waiter had to seek. We haven't cruised Cunard for a few years and wish to know if this alternative still available

58 minutes ago, intel said:

Previously the Dinner Menu included standard items of Fish, Chicken and steak if the offerings for the day were not to your liking. They were dropped from the menu but were still available with the approval of the Head that the waiter had to seek. We haven't cruised Cunard for a few years and wish to know if this alternative still available

was still the case as recent as the South American Trip on Qv in 2020, its just not publicised....

3 hours ago, intel said:

Ask and it shall be given.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, intel said:

During all the Sailings we have had on the QM2, the waiters and Restaurant Managers have always accommodated us to our individual needs without question. Once my DW had some needs and yes they did bend over backwards so she could enjoy her meals with the right experience.

I realise that this is very slightly off the OP's question but it does demonstrate how things are dealt with in the dining room.  Dinner time and DH was hungry but I'd felt queasy during the day (it had been a little choppy during the day), wasn't hungry but went with him to keep him company.  Hubby gave the waiter his order and I explained that I didn't want anything, but when he returned with DH's food he brought me a pot of lemon and ginger tea to help settle my nausea!!  I was grateful.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, intel said:

Just to clarify, "The Always Available Options'  available in the Britannia restaurant   are always available . Although these options may not be  printed in the Britannia menu  they are still available on request .  Just to clarify, the  ' Always available Menu' does not need the approval of  your table waiter or the Station Head waiter.  😉      

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Just to clarify, "The Always Available Options'  available in the Britannia restaurant   are always available . Although these options may not be  printed in the Britannia menu  they are still available on request .  Just to clarify, the  ' Always available Menu' does not need the approval of  your table waiter or the Station Head waiter.  😉      

Curious, if they are not printed on the Britannia menu, how does one discover what they are, so as to know what can be requested? We have not been in Britannia recently - okay, we've not been anywhere recently, but what I meant was the the last couple of Cunard trips were in Club or PG - so I don't have current first-hand knowledge of the Britannia menus.

28 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Curious, if they are not printed on the Britannia menu, how does one discover what they are, so as to know what can be requested? We have not been in Britannia recently - okay, we've not been anywhere recently, but what I meant was the the last couple of Cunard trips were in Club or PG - so I don't have current first-hand knowledge of the Britannia menus.

Okay, one does not understand your reluctance to accept honest and intended helpful posts on CC.  Please take it as read that all posters are correct.  It’s Salmon, Steak or Chicken.  If an additional confirmation is required, then when onboard just ask your Waiter, then if the always available are not a always available, you are free to post your complaint on CC.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

ExArkie, I understand your  point, however, most seasoned Cunard guest's are already aware of this.  Table waiters ( in all the restaurants )  are trained to 'identify and interact' with their individual guest who may have individual  needs.  Table waiters will suggest the 'Always Options'  that are aways available. One doesn't always need to be in the grill restaurant to 'eat off menu' 😉

Edited by Bell Boy

I regularly order chicken rather than the main course and most nights a caesar salad and on baked Alaska night Im ashamed to say I always ask for two.

As per Host Hattie on our last cruise waiter on first night advised if any night we wanted something different he could offer steak/fish/chicken/extra vegetables/fries and ice cream with any dessert and if we were feeling hungry extra portions etc

We sometimes order extra vegetables as well and once ordered first night they tend to just say “and extra vegetables”

• Like 1

You can always ask for extra portions of salad or chips to go with the Veggie or Vegan dishes we have. Also I always ask for veggie sausages at breakfast and strawberries too. Also I like a small espresso after a good meal and they will do that too in Britannia no problem. So you can order off menu to a degree . I've seen people having Two main courses or Two puddings as well. The portions can be a bit small at first but over the whole meal with wine and sometimes I like to buy a pudding wine for the whole table you get used to it!

5 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

ExArkie, I understand your  point, however, most seasoned Cunard guest's are already aware of this.  Table waiters ( in all the restaurants )  are trained to 'identify and interact' with their individual guest who may have individual  needs.  Table waiters will suggest the 'Always Options'  that are aways available. One doesn't always need to be in the grill restaurant to 'eat off menu' 😉

If one is polite it is amazing what one can obtain from your waiter in the way of food that is technically not available to Britannia guests but may be had in the high priced seats. 

Thank you all for the information and a reminder about a favourite  Caeser Salad with Anchovies 

Our decision to come back to Cunard for this aspect was the right one. We have never had a problem in the past just updating.

18 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Okay, one does not understand your reluctance to accept honest and intended helpful posts on CC.  Please take it as read that all posters are correct.  It’s Salmon, Steak or Chicken.  If an additional confirmation is required, then when onboard just ask your Waiter, then if the always available are not a always available, you are free to post your complaint on CC.

Not sure what you read into my question, but I specifically stated that I was curious, not that I was unwilling to accept what has been stated. Most people on Cunard, or any ship, will not have spent time perusing the Cruise Critic fora. I was just wondering how they would know about items available but not listed anywhere.

I appreciate the information provided by others that the waiter will generally explain that these items are available. That was all I was asking.

Not every question is an attack on personal integrity. Some times we just want to know the answer.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

If one is polite it is amazing what one can obtain from your waiter in the way of food that is technically not available to Britannia guests but may be had in the high priced seats. 

How true

On 3/24/2021 at 10:07 AM, babs135 said:

The dinner menu is always posted outside the dining room after lunch.  But is the 'always available' menu shown or mentioned as well?  I simply can't remember .

It wasn't on the QE in Feb 20

• 4 months later...

On our last TA we ordered things not on the menu.  Sometimes we would order a cheese tray for the whole table with fruit for dessert. Our whole table enjoyed that along with their coffee or whatever else they were having.  One night I just ordered a steak because I didn't like anything on the menu.  Our waiters were wonderful and after the first night they would ask if wanted fruit and cheese.  They were great at their jobs.  They really want to accommodate you so you will enjoy your cruise.  You don't need to be shy about asking.  

I agree with ExArkie who said they were curious these items were not on menu. It's Communication by telepathy,  which doesn't often work. 

It only takes one line at the bottom of the menu , salmon, chicken and steak are always available. .

If someone who doesn't know about these , they might just order something from the menu that they don't really fancy, not knowing there are alternatives. I don't think you should rely on waiters being trained to interact and also rely everyone asking if there is something else. Some people are just inherently shy. 

Not mentioning it on the menu , is just poor communication and a disregard for those new to the system.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I would have to look through to check, but I think I have seen the always available items mentioned sometimes on the Daily Progamme, which seems rather a strange place.

Yep. From a May 2019 QM 2 Daily Programme:image.png.73e4d0f63bc9332415f37f109e6584b7.png