CDC will Destroy Cruising in the US

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 1:51 PM, Dolebludger said:

I too agree with the original post here. The CDC has treated airlines in in a much more permissive manner than cruise ships. The CDC has ignored the distancing component as to airlines, while insisting cruise lines sail at 50% - 60% capacity. If the cruise lines require proof of vaccination for all aboard, there shouldn’t be a problem onboard. 

Why aren't airlines, trains and buses treated the same way as cruise ships? If those at the CDC don't like to cruise, no one is forcing them to do so, but don't make the rest of us miserable too! My livelihood depends on booking cruises and other trips...and now after working for a year and a-half for free, still no cruises and no income...As President Reagan once said, "The scariest words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help!"

• Like 5

Actually, at least in my locale, trains and busses are regulated in a manner similar to cruise ships, in that 6’ distancing is required for persons not in the same household. Our train is an intra-state excursion train, so it is state regulated — not Federal. This means that they run at about 50% capacity. Airlines, however, have been allowed by the Feds to continue their “sardine can” seating while cruise ships have been shut down. This makes no sense!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Actually, at least in my locale, trains and busses are regulated in a manner similar to cruise ships, in that 6’ distancing is required for persons not in the same household. Our train is an intra-state excursion train, so it is state regulated — not Federal. This means that they run at about 50% capacity. Airlines, however, have been allowed by the Feds to continue their “sardine can” seating while cruise ships have been shut down. This makes no sense!

It doesn't make any since, we need to be safe---however why do airlines fly, the TSA doesn't even follow all the guide lines.  

44 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

It doesn't make any since, we need to be safe---however why do airlines fly, the TSA doesn't even follow all the guide lines.  

Thanks!

it makes no sense that we must be in crowded airports, with no protections, to go on a cruise that requires vaccines for passengers and crew. 
sheila

Agreed! If everybody on a cruise ship has been vaccinated with proof thereof, the risk of an outbreak of any size would ve very minimal, even without mask requirements onboard. How activities in ports would be regulated is still a big question. The vaccinated cruise guests would be at very slight risk going into ports, but the other people in the ports might be, as there is no way to know if they are vaccinated. 

According to a CNBC story tonight: "EU official says vaccinated Americans should be able to visit Europe by summer"

The official says they will accept the three vaccines used in the U.S. because they're accepted in the EU. That might put a bug in the CDC's special place to get off their duff?

So...If they allow vaccinated Americans, will you go?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/26/eu-official-says-vaccinated-americans-can-visit-europe-by-summer.html

8 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Sign me up! I expect land tours will open before cruising will, so I’ll start there. As soon as this firms up, I’ll try to organize smth to an open EU country or three. Ciao, Bello!

10 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

According to a CNBC story tonight: "EU official says vaccinated Americans should be able to visit Europe by summer"

The official says they will accept the three vaccines used in the U.S. because they're accepted in the EU. That might put a bug in the CDC's special place to get off their duff?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/26/eu-official-says-vaccinated-americans-can-visit-europe-by-summer.html

YOU BETCHA - THE SOONER THE BETTER.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 10:28 AM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Just read an article regarding the US Senate hearing with the CDC, regarding its blind opposition to cruising in the US. It is disgusting that the CDC will not reconsider their October 2020 decision shut down, which was ordered before the vaccine was approved.
They refuse to accept that the covid vaccine is a game changer.

They refuse to hear the Senators, claiming that the decisions are coming from DOT.

They refuse to reconsider, which is based on antiquated information. 

They refuse to understand that they are punishing the American cruisers, as well as the cruise lines. 
What can we, the public do to change this course of inaction by the CDC. 
My husband and I love to cruise. We are in our 80’s. It’s so easy for us to be able to sail out of Miami. No flying necessary.

But, I guess if we have to, we will fly to board a ship outside of the US. 

CDC... wakeup and start serving the public you are supposed to be protecting!

sheila

amen

4 minutes ago, mellapl said:

amen

It’s time for to reconsider flying to a Caribbean island to a Regent cruise instead of out of a US port. The latest CDC requirements are insane... wearing masks during diner except to put food in your mouth. Chew with mask on!
Sitting outside poolside with social distancing of 6 feet... must wear mask. 

And, we will all be vaccinated... guests and crew.

This is the definition of insanity!

Hoping you hear me..Frank DelRio. 

sheila

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

It’s time for to reconsider flying to a Caribbean island to a Regent cruise instead of out of a US port. The latest CDC requirements are insane... wearing masks during diner except to put food in your mouth. Chew with mask on!

sheila

Hi Sheila - I think FDR "hears you (and the rest of us) loud and clear"!  He has been "strongly making his case" on several different TV networks over the past couple of weeks.  I think it's going to take action on the part of senators/congressmen in the most affected states from "both sides of the aisle" (and on behalf of their constituents and the cruise industry) to get a quick, reasonable, and sensible agreement made.  But time is "clicking by" rather quickly, now.

Our current "final payment date" (if it isn't modified) for our Dec 28 Mariner cruise is July 21.  I'm not really willing to pay (for us what will be) over $30K+ for "luxury cruise experience" that would have to follow the CDC's current guidelines - which are not at all "luxurious".  And I'm sure that Mr. Del Rio knows that this is what a lot of us are thinking at the moment!

After reading the CDC's latest "rules", DW and I pretty much agreed today that we wouldn't sail under the conditions that are (currently) being stipulated by the CDC.  Best Regards

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

No problem with cruising avoiding Florida ports because of the insanity there, but if cruise ships had to avoid all U.S. ports there'd be lots of itineraries that would go bye-bye.  Think about it--Alaska, New England, any coastal routes.   Panama canal!

Meanwhile Del Rio is definitely on our side.  Did you see his comment about not eating soup 'cause your mask might get soggy?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

Sheila,

I have been searching for the CDC guidelines about wearing masks during meals on the ship and can't find it.  Could you direct me in the right direction on where I can find this guideline.  It will make a difference on whether we make our final payment on the next cruise.  We will cancel if we have to wear a mask while chewing and between bites, that's a cruise killer for us.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, CruzC2C said:

Sheila,

I have been searching for the CDC guidelines about wearing masks during meals on the ship and can't find it.  Could you direct me in the right direction on where I can find this guideline.  It will make a difference on whether we make our final payment on the next cruise.  We will cancel if we have to wear a mask while chewing and between bites, that's a cruise killer for us.  Thanks.

Here's one article: https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6095/?et_cid=3428455&et_rid=270501171&et_referrer=nav_site_login_us

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CruzC2C said:

Sheila,

Don’t cancel anything yet. I have five cruises on a regent, starting in December. 
Wendy is right. Frank DelRio will never sail with those rules. 
He will continue to fight the CDC. Or move out of the US
sheila

Thanks Wendy & Sheila.

I'm less worried about the Regent B2B cruise we booked on Splendor in December than the cruise on another line in July.  I know Regent will do the right thing, I have faith in DelRio.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Sheila,

If you think the CDCs masks rule while cruising is onerous now, this is what they''re considering for the next step.  It's for your own good.

CDC's proposed guidelines.jpg

That could also cover the pain in the neck the CDC is causing the cruise industry but I actually have a LOWER opinion. 😁  I wouldn't be surprised if Frank DelRio has the same opinion.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

Some of the CDC recommendations make little sense in terms of the reality of daily life on a ship.  For example, he reality is that social distancing is virtually impossible.  On Regent ships, the stairs are barely wide enough or may not be wide enough to enable social distancing if one person is on one side of the stairs and another person is on the opposite side.  And can you imagine how long it would take an unrelated group to go up stairs if guests would also have to be spaced 6 feet apart as they ascend a flight of stairs.  And how can one possibly socially distance in the corridors that lead to suites and public places?  And suggested "wearables" that offer social distancing alerts will be giving alerts so frequently that they will be meaningless and annoying.

If everyone is vaccinated CDC needs to explain the rationale for many of the recommendations. CDC is going to have to further revise the guidelines otherwise cruising will be impossible.

• Like 2

At least CDC has removed the single cabin requirement for crew.  Now there is this recommendation:

• Minimize the number of crew sharing a cabin or bathroom to the extent practicable.

Source:  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/management/technical-instructions-for-cruise-ships.html

Edited by mrlevin