Key West rules may be overridden

Tom47

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

Wow!  I guess it goes to the governor.

"Sen. Jim Boyd, the Bradenton Republican who sponsored the original bill that stalled earlier this week in the House, attached an amendment to an unrelated Senate transportation bill declaring that “any local ballot initiative or referendum may not restrict maritime commerce” at any one of Florida’s 15 deep-water ports.

The provision is retroactive, applying the ban to three referendums approved by 60% of Key West voters in November."

Disgusting.  They couldn't pass it on its own so they snuck it in and ran it through before there could be protest.  😞

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Opinion | Florida Republicans are trampling on the wishes of locals in a rush to consolidate power - The Washington Post

The Republicans’ most outlandish power play may be one involving Key West, where Margaritaville tourist antics bump up against the workaday life of Conchs, as local residents in the city of about 25,000 are known.

Frustrated with the island’s relentless pre-pandemic cruise-ship traffic, and concerned about environmental damage to nearby reefs, Key West’s Conchs voted last fall — with 60 percent approval — to bar ships that carry more than 1,300 passengers from docking at the port (some carry as many as 4,000 passengers and crew). The measure capped the number of cruise passengers who flood into town at 1,500 daily (more than a million arrived annually before the covid shutdown).

Republicans in Tallahassee were furious. So was a big-money hotel operator, Mark Walsh. He happens to own the Key West pier, which relies on profit-boosting cruise traffic. Walsh fiercely opposed the citizen initiative. As it turns out, he also donated $995,000 to the Friends of Ron DeSantis political action committee through 11 different companies, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

An initial Republican effort to invalidate the Key West measure stalled last month, so Democrats were gobsmacked in late April, as the legislative clock ticked down, when an amendment to a transportation bill popped up. “Any local ballot initiative or referendum may not restrict maritime commerce” at any of Florida’s 15 deep-water ports, it said.

By thoughtfully attaching the amendment to the larger transportation bill, Republicans gave DeSantis some cover as he mulls signing it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Opinion | Florida Republicans are trampling on the wishes of locals in a rush to consolidate power - The Washington Post

The Republicans’ most outlandish power play may be one involving Key West, where Margaritaville tourist antics bump up against the workaday life of Conchs, as local residents in the city of about 25,000 are known.

Frustrated with the island’s relentless pre-pandemic cruise-ship traffic, and concerned about environmental damage to nearby reefs, Key West’s Conchs voted last fall — with 60 percent approval — to bar ships that carry more than 1,300 passengers from docking at the port (some carry as many as 4,000 passengers and crew). The measure capped the number of cruise passengers who flood into town at 1,500 daily (more than a million arrived annually before the covid shutdown).

Republicans in Tallahassee were furious. So was a big-money hotel operator, Mark Walsh. He happens to own the Key West pier, which relies on profit-boosting cruise traffic. Walsh fiercely opposed the citizen initiative. As it turns out, he also donated $995,000 to the Friends of Ron DeSantis political action committee through 11 different companies, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

An initial Republican effort to invalidate the Key West measure stalled last month, so Democrats were gobsmacked in late April, as the legislative clock ticked down, when an amendment to a transportation bill popped up. “Any local ballot initiative or referendum may not restrict maritime commerce” at any of Florida’s 15 deep-water ports, it said.

By thoughtfully attaching the amendment to the larger transportation bill, Republicans gave DeSantis some cover as he mulls signing it.

There is currently a Key West group advocating for the governor to veto the bill.  He will either sign it or veto it but I think he will probably sign it. 

9 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

There is currently a Key West group advocating for the governor to veto the bill.  He will either sign it or veto it but I think he will probably sign it. 

Why can't he just let local citizens and businesses have the freedom to do what they want?  Why must he impose his will on so many?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Office of Governor Ron DeSantis
State of Florida
The Capitol
400 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001

(850) 717-9337

Lol do you actually think he'd even see my question?  Or respond to it?

On 3/28/2021 at 3:00 PM, firefly333 said:

Idk but I've been there via car more than once. Weekends during high snowbird season, roads are packed bumper to bumper. Hotels to me are sky high. The price is hotels is what limits not because key west itself isnt a draw. Back then hotels were running over $300, $400 and $500 a night for anything.  Probably down now for covid, but just wait until covid is gone. 

Maybe the hop on hop off bus and tram arent as busy, things like that if it's a drive to destination. 

We were there for 5 nights in March.   No cruise ships in port.  Hotel rates so high that we rented a VRBO about 15 minutes north of KW.  Restaurants packed, tourist attractions full.  I think they were doing well.  May or may not get quieter in summer months as it's sooooo hot and humid.  We have flown from Tampa to KW airport at some great rates.  

We are natives of FL and grew up in Miami.  KW, and all of the Keys actually, are a huge weekend destination for those in South FL. 

We have also cruised to KW in the past.  It's was always a nice stop, but I totally understand why they would not want large ships there.  

4 minutes ago, SUSIEK said:

We were there for 5 nights in March.   No cruise ships in port.  Hotel rates so high that we rented a VRBO about 15 minutes north of KW.  Restaurants packed, tourist attractions full.  I think they were doing well.  May or may not get quieter in summer months as it's sooooo hot and humid.  We have flown from Tampa to KW airport at some great rates.  

We are natives of FL and grew up in Miami.  KW, and all of the Keys actually, are a huge weekend destination for those in South FL. 

We have also cruised to KW in the past.  It's was always a nice stop, but I totally understand why they would not want large ships there.  

Actually I stayed in marathon when I've driven down there in season. Back when I lived in boca raton.

It seemed like the closest place to stay without driving to key west that night. Was too far down and back again the same day. 

33 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Office of Governor Ron DeSantis
State of Florida
The Capitol
400 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001

(850) 717-9337

I've called, sent emails, sent letters, used twitter, etc.....    No response to several issues I have had as a Floridian with his new policies he has set forth in our state.  So, good luck!

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I stayed in marathon when I've driven down there in season. Back when I lived in boca raton.

It seemed like the closest place to stay without driving to key west that night. Was too far down and back again the same day. 

Marathon is nice.  Right by the 7 mile bridge.  We rented in Cudjoe Key.  Nothing there, but the view we had was priceless.  Took us 15 minutes to get into KW.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SUSIEK said:

I've called, sent emails, sent letters, used twitter, etc.....    No response to several issues I have had as a Floridian with his new policies he has set forth in our state.  So, good luck!

Large advocacy groups and big donors seem to have more luck.  I gave up a while back. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

26 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Lol do you actually think he'd even see my question?  Or respond to it?

Include a $10,000 check and he’ll respond. Not sure what the going rate for a governor is, but I think that should cover it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Large advocacy groups and big donors seem to have more luck.  I gave up a while back. 

I agree.....as soon as the dollars start coming in.....it's over.   😞    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Key West is challenging the State of Florida's preemption. 

"But the city of Key West is pondering a challenge the state’s preemption -- and it may not need to do so in a protected, expensive legal battle.

It can simply encode the three approved referendums as ordinances, maintains the Committee for Safer Cleaner Ships, which sponsored the referendums."

https://www.thecentersquare.com/florida/key-west-ponders-response-to-florida-preemption-nixing-voter-approved-ship-restrictions/article_74a9b5cc-e357-11eb-9824-6b5e4886a98f.html

On 6/30/2021 at 9:21 PM, Tom47 said:

DeSantis signed Key West override law today.

Didn't this guy sue the CDC because of Federal Government overreach into local Floridian affairs?

What's good for the Goose, might not be the same for the Gander. 🙄

• Like 3

As a frequent Key West visitor, I can say that is I agree with its citizens.  Most ppl from the hotels stay away from the Duval Street area while the ships are in town because its pretty unpleasant to get around but when they aren't around its a great town.  Many ppl who work in Key West have told us that most cruise ship passengers do not spend much money or tip well.  It would be a pretty easy decision for me.