How many of your cruises canceled since start of pandemic.

Three?  Four?  I don't quite recall as we've made so many changes and tweaks since our last cruise in January '20.  Huh?!?  Has it only been 16 months?  Feels like 10 years...

I know we still have 4 booked but who knows?!?  All I know is that I need a vacation - and soon!!!

6 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Wendy, when will Canada reach 75% vaccination rate?  Just wondering if my next trip to Canada will be cancelled, too.  

You didn’t ask me but I’m predicting July 1, 2021 (at least one shot).

Mark, it depends on how you count.  And as you know, we're taking the approach of trying to get one dose into everybody's arms.  We personally  don't get our second dose until July, 3.5 months after our first, unless the supply of vaccine gets so large that they move us up.

We're vaccinating everybody here in Ontario right now, over 18 years old.  This younger cohort just opened up so there's a huge flood of demand right now.  Also we're starting on the 12 year olds as well.  Here in Ontario we're close to 50% for one shot.  I suspect it will be well into fall before we get to 75% for both shots. That for people over 12, of course.

I suspect the border won't be open until September at the earliest, and hopefully by then there will be some kind of vaccination certification program

Of course, this whole thing could change--vaccinations are going very rapidy here.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

I didn't see the PM's exact quote; did he say 75% one dose or fully vaccinated?  If the latter, it will be cutting it close for October trip to Churchill.

thanks for the input,

Marc

4 cancelled, next cruise is in April 2022 from Singapore to Istanbul going via India and Israel so who knows if that will go.

Edited by bryeden

9 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I didn't see the PM's exact quote; did he say 75% one dose or fully vaccinated?  If the latter, it will be cutting it close for October trip to Churchill.

thanks for the input,

Marc

It was our Chief Medical Officer of Health, Theresa Tam, that I saw, and she was talking about 75% with a single dose.  We should get to that pretty darned soon I think.  Maybe July?

• Thanks 1

So I am now at 10 cancelled cruises - lots of emails, FCC, CC bills, to track and clean up.

We have the Galapagos scheduled for Aug and being fully vaccinated we hope this will finally be a go. 

Enough cruises cancelled that I had to create a spreadsheet to TRY to keep up (still not on top of it all!)  While none cancelled were Regent....the cancellations were the impetus to book our FIRST Regent cruise!

Cancelled because of CoVID:  1 MSC, 4 NCL, and 2 Celebrity (1 from 2022!!!!)

I am SOOOO ready to return to cruising!  Fingers crossed for my 1st Regent cruise....TA Barcelona to Miami in November!  Good luck to us all!

Hearth-------:

See my Post #4, above.  So--hopefully we will be shipmates this coming October 31st when resuming cruising aboard Mariner for that TA crossing.  Many previous on Mariner.  Let us hope Europe continues to open-up.  

GOARMY!

Hear ____

We will be with you on the Splendor for the November TA -- hopefully, it will not be cancelled.   We also have a Military background -- retired Air Force and retired Air Force Civilian.  Hope we get to meet in November!

If I may -- GO AIR FORCE!

• Like 1

One cruise, six people, four suites.   It was the ideal time on the perfect ship; I sat out the wait and got my refund because I don't know if the six people can do it together in the future.

Busy reply - many topics to hit

Nice to see some other military folks but gotta say Go Air Force Beat Army.  Wife and I are both Zoomies and retired AF.  

Agree with spreadsheet for FCC/Refunds - it now looks more like financial modeling rather than just a simple where is my money. Cruise 1 FCC to cruise 3 -etc,etc.

We are on Voyager - RSSC - Cape Town to Rio Dec 20,2021 - 5 Jan 2022, for a TA (east to west). Had some FCCs, and Flying Blue miles to use and a relatively inexpensive trip. Also very nice to be able to walk home (short distance) after the New Years party and order breakfast in bed the next day.

1 hour ago, klkaylor78 said:

Busy reply - many topics to hit

Nice to see some other military folks but gotta say Go Air Force Beat Army.  Wife and I are both Zoomies and retired AF.  

Agree with spreadsheet for FCC/Refunds - it now looks more like financial modeling rather than just a simple where is my money. Cruise 1 FCC to cruise 3 -etc,etc.

We are on Voyager - RSSC - Cape Town to Rio Dec 20,2021 - 5 Jan 2022, for a TA (east to west). Had some FCCs, and Flying Blue miles to use and a relatively inexpensive trip. Also very nice to be able to walk home (short distance) after the New Years party and order breakfast in bed the next day.

The people that know are saying it's going to be harder to air with milage programs---they say space will be hard to find.  So once you book your cruise again, or waiting to book air-do it as soon as you can.  We booked are Asia cruise, and booked the air the next day--looking now only coach is available (no first or business) unless you pay the highest amount of miles for those seats.

20 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

The people that know are saying it's going to be harder to air with milage programs---they say space will be hard to find.  So once you book your cruise again, or waiting to book air-do it as soon as you can.  We booked are Asia cruise, and booked the air the next day--looking now only coach is available (no first or business) unless you pay the highest amount of miles for those seats.

I wonder if it's going to be difficult for Regent to get the air bookings they need.  We're not travelling this year, but I believe the airlines will still be struggling a year from now.  I'm thinking that this time we'll do Regent Air, although I'll certainly look into using points when the time comes.

Pcardad and others:  From the FWIW Department, and anecdotal concerning availably of FF miles for upcoming cruises to the Far East:

We are cautiously hopeful being aboard Mariner at Tokyo on April 15th (2022) for crossing cruise to San Francisco.  This is our second try, as Regent canceled our fairly similar 2021 cruise segment.  We utilized United FF miles for our own air re: the 2021 trip, thus shaving $6,000.00 off the fare.  Most-important was to secure a N/S situation on the SEATAC to Tokyo segment, Business Class.  All Nippon Airlines (ANA)--a United Partner--was our first choice.  We had flown ANA before--from Far East locations back to SEATAC following Regent and Crystal cruise segments.  First Class service.    

Those FF miles became available, again for 2022.  Rebooked the 2022 Mariner cruise in early December.  ASAP back on the United site to determine when rebooking our air segment utilizing FF miles would be possible.  Had to wait for almost five months.  Last week, April, 2022 opened-up for booking.  Same ANA N/S flight showing two Business Class seats available utilizing FF miles; and, same number of FF miles needed for 2022 (88,000 ea.) that were required for 2021. A reasonable amount given duration of that flight and quality of service.  

Grabbed those seats.  Also able to select our specific seats on  the flight. 

Today, went back to the United Airlines site to check availability of a similar Business Class booking using FF miles for the same flight--one week later in April.  Again, two Business Class seats were shown as being available at the same FF rate.  

Of course, every situation is unique and dependent on changing circumstances as to countries' willingness to reopen borders and facilities to foreign travelers. 

We hold out high hopes the 2022 segment will happen.  Our hopes for being aboard Mariner this October 31st for a crossing segment to Miami are at about the 50% level.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:32 PM, mrlevin said:

thanks for the input,

Marc

Marc, perhaps you're following this already, but Manitoba is not doing so hot right now.  Everybody here hopes that by October we'll all be doing very well, but that particular province, plus Alberta, are doing pretty badly lately.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Marc, perhaps you're following this already, but Manitoba is not doing so hot right now.  Everybody here hopes that by October we'll all be doing very well, but that particular province, plus Alberta, are doing pretty badly lately.

Wendy, I have been tracking; they just put on stricter restrictions but only until next Wednesday.  Not too many cases (4855 active in entire province) although around 600 new each of last two days.  Hopefully contact tracing works.

Edited by mrlevin

A tip for those looking for  FF award and upgrades there is a good web site -www.expertflyer.com that is very helpful.  Not for every airline but worth a look - does have a paided VIP type membership that you can get the program to teach and alert for you..

We were very sad when our Regent Vancouver-Tokyo cruise cancelled as we had  ANA first class seat back from Tokyo as well as AA first class - however that flight was cancelled and pushed to business.  I had tended to back up flights as there were/are still lots of cancelations