Antarctica from Hobart enyone?

Now that's an interesting itinerary in that the ship is visiting New Zealand, but not a part of New Zealand that is generally inhabited.  So, do they need to get permission to stop there, given that NZ has a maritime border ban at the moment?  I genuinely don't know the answer to that question.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Doubt few people would have a spare Aud$36,000 plus pp

The world cruisers would have the money, some do the full worldie every year or  two, cabin for 2 plus shorex...100,000 dollars. Dont worry plenty of well heeled Aussies out there.

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The world cruisers would have the money, some do the full worldie every year or  two, cabin for 2 plus shorex...100,000 dollars. Dont worry plenty of well heeled Aussies out there.

Our Antartica cruise went via Falkland Islands (3 islands), South Georgia island to Antarctica.  It included return charter flights to Ushuaia.  Hurtigruten's Fram was a real expedition ship with expert expedition leaders and guest speakers.  There was no way we would have paid those prices for our cruise.  

Ships which cruise to Ross Ice Shelf are always going to be expensive because of the distance.  The ships which went to Antarctica originally were more basic.  The features I looked for were the ice rating of the ship, the expertise of the Captain and the knowledge of the expedition leaders.  

• Like 2

We would do this in a heartbeat! We did Antarctica from Ushuaia and had an amazing time, would love to do the Ross sea, from Tasmania or NZ.

Yes it’s expensive, but you don’t have flights (or minimal cost) to add, and we normally fly business so that’s a saving of $10-$15k. We can do economy to Hobart or NZ! There’s been a few advertised (Ponant put on two additional itinerary and Silversea also had one) 

I work to travel, that’s our priority at the moment, see as much as possible while we are heathy and can afford it, once we retire we may not have the opportunity. 

12 hours ago, gogo65 said:

We would do this in a heartbeat! We did Antarctica from Ushuaia and had an amazing time, would love to do the Ross sea, from Tasmania or NZ.

Yes it’s expensive, but you don’t have flights (or minimal cost) to add, and we normally fly business so that’s a saving of $10-$15k. We can do economy to Hobart or NZ! There’s been a few advertised (Ponant put on two additional itinerary and Silversea also had one) 

I work to travel, that’s our priority at the moment, see as much as possible while we are heathy and can afford it, once we retire we may not have the opportunity. 

If you can afford it, do it. I retired at 55 and did a big Overseas or Australian trip every year since 2002. Glad we did it when we could. Life is short, believe me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

I think I will book the captain’s suite. With the single supplement, only $100k.

Will off-set with a $49 Jetstar fare to Hobart.

Ha ha  I was the only one from our ship who upgraded to business class from London to Tromso (because flight left late at night and I'm not a late night person).  No doubt the other passengers were surprised to see me later in the cheapest cabin on the lowest deck!