Now that the cruise pause is still pausing, what are your alternate vacation plans?

Tippyton

18 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

No reason to be paranoid about dining inside.   We live in NJ and have been going to restaurants and eating inside twice a week ever since they opened back up at 25% capacity.  Almost 1/3 of NJ restaurants have closed because of the pandemic and we feel we should do our little part to try to keep a few local spots open.

Definitely not paranoid anymore.  Just cautious.  

• Like 1

We did Key West in March and are planning an all inclusive in Mexico. I am hoping that the all inclusive brings me the joy I had on cruise vacations, but for me the ocean is the primary source of enjoyment on a cruise. I am a person who would love an all sea day cruise, so we will see how an all inclusive compares. If Carnival will move to Cozumel, I will book a cruise asap. 

We have been doing Disney so much since it reopened that I cannot even interest the family in going any longer. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Thanks 1

Last September we went through South Dakota (Badlands and Black Hills/Rushmore).....then to Yellowstone and Tetons......then on to Colorado.

Had an amazing time!  So majestic!

Can't decide between Grand Canyon or all-inclusive somewhere.  Who knows....maybe both?

We definitely want to cruise again but are not putting any $ down until we know for sure.  We went through all of that with an Alaskan cruise (still on our list) last year and want to give cruising some time.

Actually there is a reason to visit florida. I decided around xmas that I really love beaches and texas beaches are too cold in the winter. I'd been contemplating which beach I'd like for a while and maybe it was all the segments on people moving to florida.

Decided to get a oceanfront condo near cape Canaveral. I said a uber ride from the port, no port parking fees..I cant move yet, I help my parents here who refuse to move, but some day.

Closed last monday or tuesday. Monday was closing date, but the title company didnt have all the papers until tuesday. Its now mine, though it needs work. Changing out carpets for more beachy floors. Distressed white I'm thinking. Repaint etc. But finally closed. So I'll probably go back to supervise the work. Stay in a hotel. I decided the one thing not negotiable was it had to be a oceanfront complex. Not on a river or lake. I want to walk along the ocean. The way florida prices were rising I didnt want to get priced out of the market. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

Last September we went through South Dakota (Badlands and Black Hills/Rushmore).....then to Yellowstone and Tetons......then on to Colorado.

Had an amazing time!  So majestic!

Can't decide between Grand Canyon or all-inclusive somewhere.  Who knows....maybe both?

We definitely want to cruise again but are not putting any $ down until we know for sure.  We went through all of that with an Alaskan cruise (still on our list) last year and want to give cruising some time.

I did that route, hitting all the national parks I could find in north and south Dakota, and over on the coast to see glaciers and then we came home through colorado. 

Loved north and south Dakota especially.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually there is a reason to visit florida. I decided around xmas that I really love beaches and texas beaches are too cold in the winter. I'd been contemplating which beach I'd like for a while and maybe it was all the segments on people moving to florida.

Decided to get a oceanfront condo near cape Canaveral. I said a uber ride from the port, no port parking fees..I cant move yet, I help my parents here who refuse to move, but some day.

Closed last monday or tuesday. Monday was closing date, but the title company didnt have all the papers until tuesday. Its now mine, though it needs work. Changing out carpets for more beachy floors. Distressed white I'm thinking. Repaint etc. But finally closed. So I'll probably go back to supervise the work. Stay in a hotel. I decided the one thing not negotiable was it had to be a oceanfront complex. Not on a river or lake. I want to walk along the ocean. The way florida prices were rising I didnt want to get priced out of the market. 

You were lucky to find anything - oceanfront sells quickly!  We love it here and hope you will be very happy on our sweet island.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom2 said:

You were lucky to find anything - oceanfront sells quickly!  We love it here and hope you will be very happy on our sweet island.

I'm not sure luck was the biggest factor. I thought about it for a day, called realtor who went out 2nd day and made a movie he uploaded to me, signed a contract within 24 to 48 hours it listed, with 5 days to inspect. Threw stuff in a suitcase, forgot things, was on the road next day. Liked it, signed off, gave deposit. Then the real fun started with multiple owners claiming it, many lawyers later we just closed, at 2nd title company. We were supposed to close feb 11, one belligerent owner sent letter from his lawyer threatening to sue if anyone closed. First title co said why should we take a chance. Wasnt easy to find new title co willing to take it on, even with extra fees.

I'd say it was a hard fought battle to close. Many family members and others told me they thought I should give up and go find something else, but meanwhile as you say oceanfront units were drying up. There were some other reasonable priced units when I went under contract but no longer.

They arent making more oceanfront. It was that or nothing for me.

Thanks for the welcome. I think I have good reason to celebrate and am happy. Everytime I see the ocean it makes me relax and be happy again. I hope to never hear about ROFR again lol. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

Not interested in going anywhere right now.

The thought of flying several hours with a mask to go to a resort that's at 30% capacity and having to wear a mask holds no appeal.

It's really OK.. I live at the beach and prefer winter travel anyway.  Hopefully by January things are back to "somewhat normal."

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not sure luck was the biggest factor. I thought about it for a day, called realtor who went out 2nd day and made a movie he uploaded to me, signed a contract within 24 to 48 hours it listed, with 5 days to inspect. Threw stuff in a suitcase, forgot things, was on the road next day. Liked it, signed off, gave deposit. Then the real fun started with multiple owners claiming it, many lawyers later we just closed, at 2nd title company. We were supposed to close feb 11, one belligerent owner sent letter from his lawyer threatening to sue if anyone closed. First title co said why should we take a chance. Wasnt easy to find new title co willing to take it on, even with extra fees.

I'd say it was a hard fought battle to close. Many family members and others told me they thought I should give up and go find something else, but meanwhile as you say oceanfront units were drying up. There were some other reasonable priced units when I went under contract but no longer.

They arent making more oceanfront. It was that or nothing for me.

Thanks for the welcome. I think I have good reason to celebrate and am happy. Everytime I see the ocean it makes me relax and be happy again. I hope to never hear about ROFR again lol. 

Good grief, what a mess!  I'm glad it finally worked out.  We started looking just over 4 years ago and there were very few direct ocean condos for sale.  The first day we looked at a few and it was discouraging.  About a week into it, we saw a couple more and found one that we thought might work - but it seriously needed to be gutted.  We tried to get a contractor to look at it and give us an estimate but it sold before we could get anyone over there.  It was a corner balcony and so that set the bar high because after we saw that, nothing else would do.  Second one we found was downtown Cocoa Beach and we had it under contract until we had it inspected.  That one hurt because it had an amazing view and was an easy walk to bars and restaurants. We pouted for a week after we cancelled the contract but it was the right decision.  We met some people who bought another condo in that building and found out they had a $16,000 special assessment right after they bought there.  We would have been hit with that too - they had very little money in reserves (which was a big part of the reason we opted out).  The third time was a charm though and we found our dream condo - fully updated and fully funded reserves.  Perfect location on a quiet beach and 1.8 miles to the new terminal where Mardi Gras will be docked eventually!

31 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

Good grief, what a mess!  I'm glad it finally worked out.  We started looking just over 4 years ago and there were very few direct ocean condos for sale.  The first day we looked at a few and it was discouraging.  About a week into it, we saw a couple more and found one that we thought might work - but it seriously needed to be gutted.  We tried to get a contractor to look at it and give us an estimate but it sold before we could get anyone over there.  It was a corner balcony and so that set the bar high because after we saw that, nothing else would do.  Second one we found was downtown Cocoa Beach and we had it under contract until we had it inspected.  That one hurt because it had an amazing view and was an easy walk to bars and restaurants. We pouted for a week after we cancelled the contract but it was the right decision.  We met some people who bought another condo in that building and found out they had a $16,000 special assessment right after they bought there.  We would have been hit with that too - they had very little money in reserves (which was a big part of the reason we opted out).  The third time was a charm though and we found our dream condo - fully updated and fully funded reserves.  Perfect location on a quiet beach and 1.8 miles to the new terminal where Mardi Gras will be docked eventually!

I got dibs on your sofa for my pre-cruise stay!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

Your view was amazing. Mine is kind of a sideways view, it's the thing I compromised on. Didnt want to sell stocks to buy it as a 2nd place to live. You did really good. My cousin who kept saying to be patient and wait for the perfect place would have said you did amazing. 

I need to learn the area more as I'm not even sure which area is downtown cocoa beach. I do see that pier south of me. Lol when I started I thought cocoa beach and cape Canaveral were the same place. I would put in either one into realtor site and seemed to get same results but now I know. I came out on astronaut blvd and had to stop in a gas station as I couldnt figure out where A1A was. Same same ha. Got it now. I'm thinking about going back in about 3 weeks. Unlike your unit, mine needs a lot of updating and then I was told ac makes a thumping sound. A ac guy will go by tomorrow and give me a price and handyman gets in Wednesday to start. I'm just doing bare necessities not gutting the place. 

That's why my cousin wanted me to wait but imo if i waiting for that perfect unit it would cost more cash than I budgeted.  Lol he wanted furnished perfectly too. He got a steal early into covid in venice when condos dipped before they went up. Tough time to buy right now. Who knows if I should have waited for the perfect place. Congratulations on finding the perfect condo for yourselves. 

I dont know how far I am from the cruise port. I had been kinda hoping to walk, but probably too far. I did my looking from maps from afar lolol. Just up and decided it was what I wanted. 

Our alternate plan is a cruise on the Mississippi River with American Queen Steamboat Company. Since those boats are small they aren't under the CDC conditional sail order and have already restarted cruising. Also, beginning July 1 they are requiring that all passengers and crew be fully vaccinated for COVID. We cruise August 2 from Minneapolis to New Orleans.

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Congrats on your new condo.  We made that leap in FLL 6 years ago.  Hardly use the place, as dh is still working,(cpa - can't get down in winter) but we get down there for long weekends 4-5x a year.  Never regretted it.  The people we bought it from were moving back to England, so got it fully furnished - even with artwork.  (they loved cruising on Royal, and were big fans of the art auctions - some really nice paintings/prints up on walls!). Just had to get new mattresses.  We are 10 minutes from Port Everglades, and right on New River/Las Olas Blvd.  10 min. from beach.  Heartbroken that Carnival pulled out of PE - but still close enough to uber to POM.  Not planning to retire or snowbird yet - but it is nice having another option.  Heading to our condo (first time since before Christmas) Memorial Day - can't wait!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Since it is too dangerous to congregate on a boat, we congregate in planes, bars, and other attractions in Florida.

It is not just Florida. Lots of Snowbirds came south to other states this winter and were out at restaurants, bars, beach, etc.... 

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Your view was amazing. Mine is kind of a sideways view, it's the thing I compromised on. Didnt want to sell stocks to buy it as a 2nd place to live. You did really good. My cousin who kept saying to be patient and wait for the perfect place would have said you did amazing. 

I need to learn the area more as I'm not even sure which area is downtown cocoa beach. I do see that pier south of me. Lol when I started I thought cocoa beach and cape Canaveral were the same place. I would put in either one into realtor site and seemed to get same results but now I know. I came out on astronaut blvd and had to stop in a gas station as I couldnt figure out where A1A was. Same same ha. Got it now. I'm thinking about going back in about 3 weeks. Unlike your unit, mine needs a lot of updating and then I was told ac makes a thumping sound. A ac guy will go by tomorrow and give me a price and handyman gets in Wednesday to start. I'm just doing bare necessities not gutting the place. 

That's why my cousin wanted me to wait but imo if i waiting for that perfect unit it would cost more cash than I budgeted.  Lol he wanted furnished perfectly too. He got a steal early into covid in venice when condos dipped before they went up. Tough time to buy right now. Who knows if I should have waited for the perfect place. Congratulations on finding the perfect condo for yourselves. 

I dont know how far I am from the cruise port. I had been kinda hoping to walk, but probably too far. I did my looking from maps from afar lolol. Just up and decided it was what I wanted. 

Yeah, I don't want to walk to the cruise port from here.  LOL  When we started our beach condo search, the plan was to buy something we could rent to snowbirds, then we could use it on weekends the rest of the year.  We didn't plan to move here until we retired.  So we started out with a lower budget in mind (it wasn't necessarily going to be a forever type of place, just wanted to buy something before prices went too crazy).  We ended up paying a lot more than we originally had in mind and never rented it out.  We closed in August 2017 and stayed here almost every weekend.  Then started adding week days to test out the drive from here to work in Orlando.  Christmas 2017 was the last night we spent in our house in Orlando.  Our youngest son was still in college and planning to move out when he graduated a few months later.  So he stayed in the house and we moved to the beach and we put the house up for sale after he moved out the following summer.  We commuted from the beach to Orlando until last March and we've been working from home since then (and love it).  

You'll get to know the area once you're settled in.  Lots of fun restaurants here that we love.  

• Thanks 1

Second rebook of our cancelled cruise is now for March 2022. This summer we are headed to Myrtle Beach (wife wanted to drive, not fly so 16 hr drive it is!) Most likely will do some day trips to Maine like we did last summer for some ocean/beach time closer to home.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom2 said:

Yeah, I don't want to walk to the cruise port from here.  LOL  When we started our beach condo search, the plan was to buy something we could rent to snowbirds, then we could use it on weekends the rest of the year.  We didn't plan to move here until we retired.  So we started out with a lower budget in mind (it wasn't necessarily going to be a forever type of place, just wanted to buy something before prices went too crazy).  We ended up paying a lot more than we originally had in mind and never rented it out.  We closed in August 2017 and stayed here almost every weekend.  Then started adding week days to test out the drive from here to work in Orlando.  Christmas 2017 was the last night we spent in our house in Orlando.  Our youngest son was still in college and planning to move out when he graduated a few months later.  So he stayed in the house and we moved to the beach and we put the house up for sale after he moved out the following summer.  We commuted from the beach to Orlando until last March and we've been working from home since then (and love it).  

You'll get to know the area once you're settled in.  Lots of fun restaurants here that we love.  

Well everyone knows fish lips from cruising. The taco place a friend recommended. I'll have to drive around some more to figure it out. The street signs are so small I cant read from across the street. In dallas they are bolder printing. I wanted small town. I picked the smallest florida town by a cruise port and went from there. I'm on a president street. 

I started with a smaller price too, but couldnt find a 2 bedroom 1.5 or 2 baths, elevator, some view in my price range. There were some 1 bedrooms in a place called twin towers and a 2 bedroom that needed everything and was small sf. So I reluctantly went up in price, but still didnt find the view of my dreams. I sure love yours and wish I'd been smarter and started to look sooner. I just saw a price drop alert yesterday to 419k for a one bedroom (and it's not that fixed up). I knew long term too small, as were the 2 bedrooms in twin tower. I still dont like what I paid, but it was the best compromise in today's market. My realtor keeps saying hes so glad I found something. I guess many people arent. People are just putting any kind of high price to see if it will fly.

I either had to up my budget or get a too small unit, or buy somewhere else and pickings no better other parts of florida. 

I have a licensed handyman starting tomorrow. Removing popcorn ceiling, removing wallpaper,  painting, removing carpet for pergot in a beachy color, new microwave and disposal, another guy for ac. It's going to add up but I loved the complex, but might have been swayed just seeing the ocean. Just feels like I light up inside when I see the ocean. I might have been easily pleased, but I loved it and made me happy to be there. The handyman says 3 weeks and I'm trying to time my next visit with him finishing so I can see the work before I pay. 

If you think reasonable choices were limited when you looked, look now!  Yikes. I didn't want to compromise on view but that's how much I had free to buy. It wasnt by choice. And I still upped my range. I dont see prices falling if I waited. You were so smart looking when you did.

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well everyone knows fish lips from cruising. The taco place a friend recommended. I'll have to drive around some more to figure it out. The street signs are so small I cant read from across the street. In dallas they are bolder printing. I wanted small town. I picked the smallest florida town by a cruise port and went from there. I'm on a president street. 

I started with a smaller price too, but couldnt find a 2 bedroom 1.5 or 2 baths, elevator, some view in my price range. There were some 1 bedrooms in a place called twin towers and a 2 bedroom that needed everything and was small sf. So I reluctantly went up in price, but still didnt find the view of my dreams. I sure love yours and wish I'd been smarter and started to look sooner. I just saw a price drop alert yesterday to 419k for a one bedroom (and it's not that fixed up). I knew long term too small, as were the 2 bedrooms in twin tower. I still dont like what I paid, but it was the best compromise in today's market. My realtor keeps saying hes so glad I found something. I guess many people arent. People are just putting any kind of high price to see if it will fly.

I either had to up my budget or get a too small unit, or buy somewhere else and pickings no better other parts of florida. 

I have a licensed handyman starting tomorrow. Removing popcorn ceiling, removing wallpaper,  painting, removing carpet for pergot in a beachy color, new microwave and disposal, another guy for ac. It's going to add up but I loved the complex, but might have been swayed just seeing the ocean. Just feels like I light up inside when I see the ocean. I might have been easily pleased, but I loved it and made me happy to be there. The handyman says 3 weeks and I'm trying to time my next visit with him finishing so I can see the work before I pay. 

If you think reasonable choices were limited when you looked, look now!  Yikes. I didn't want to compromise on view but that's how much I had free to buy. It wasnt by choice. And I still upped my range. I dont see prices falling if I waited. You were so smart looking when you did.

Cocoa Beach and surrounding area is great. Congrats. We love it there and cruise quite often from Port Canaveral. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I know, prices have gone crazy!  I saw the listing yesterday for the one bedroom @ 419k.  I hope all goes well with the work on your condo.  Something we learned after we moved here is that things often move a little slower than we were used to, coming from Orlando.  We like to call it island time.  LOL  Our neighbor had his bathrooms redone a few months ago and was told it would take three weeks and it actually took about twice that long.  But it was worth it in the end.  🙂

Let me know if you need any restaurant suggestions when you get here.  We love Grills at the Port but one of our other favorite places is on Jackson and that's probably not far from your condo.

• Thanks 1