Now that the cruise pause is still pausing, what are your alternate vacation plans?

Tippyton

7 hours ago, krobb1053 said:

In Gatlinburg visit the Titanic exhibit. Your ticket assigns you as a passenger on the original Titanic. At the end of the tour you get to see if you survived or went down with the ship. They also have many costumes from the movie. It was a great experience.

That's kind of....cool?

1 hour ago, dadroy said:

We are planning a trip to Yellowknife Canada for the northern lights in December.  Not as warm as the Caribbean, but it should be different.

Isnt there a issue with crossing the border into next year with canada? Like 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel for a price? I've just read from the canadians not from americans but I'd assume similar. Their vaccination and need immunity isnt expected until next year perhaps. I'd read how long the canadians have the quarantine in place before I went. I dont keep up with it, but I'd look into it if I wanted to go there this dec.

Lol true about canada being colder than here in dec. Brrr. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Isnt there a issue with crossing the border into next year with canada? Like 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel for a price? I've just read from the canadians not from americans but I'd assume similar. Their vaccination and need immunity isnt expected until next year perhaps. I'd read how long the canadians have the quarantine in place before I went. I dont keep up with it, but I'd look into it if I wanted to go there this dec.

Lol true about canada being colder than here in dec. Brrr. 

That trip would be considered non essential travel and even if you were allowed to cross a 14 day quarantine would be required at a 'reported' location. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation#how-to-quarantine

Edited by nissach
  • Thanks 1

We've been unwilling to do anything for the past year. My wife had 2/3 of a lung removed due to cancer just before Covid struck last year. We got our shots, so now its time to travel again. Going to Carolina Beach NC in July. Travelling to the Adirondacks and southern Vermont in mid October. Plan on spending a week in Key Largo and a 4 day Bahamas cruise in early January 2022. We also booked an eastern Med cruise on Celebrity Infinity over Memorial Day 2022. We have scheduled twice before, but both got cancelled.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:58 PM, Socalf1fan said:

Just came back from a week in Las Vegas. Social distancing? Yeah right. Its coming back alive, and we had a good time even with most of the shows and alot of the dining options still closed.

Are any shows open yet? That's what we're waiting on before we travel to Vegas.

14 minutes ago, cynt said:

Are any shows open yet? That's what we're waiting on before we travel to Vegas.

They are starting to.  Expect more after May 1 when oversight reverts to local county control from the former state based restrictions.  Vegas gets more 'normal' every week. (We live here in the winter months.)

We're headed to St. Thomas this summer. We might head back to Disney in the fall or Hawaii or a cruise. As soon as the cruise ships start sailing from the Caribbean or the states we're booking a cruise. 

5 hours ago, bluesman0711 said:

We have wanted to take some short trips here in Florida but the hotel rates have sky rocketed due to everyone else in the country wanting to come here since their own states are locked down.

I rented a house this time and the rate was so much less expensive than a hotel. Plus, I have all of the benefits of a furnished home.  That's probably not a good option for a weekend trip, but it's working out great for us since we are staying a little over a week.

We will be renting a motor home and do some traveling across our States and see historical monuments and places.  I’ve always wanted to go where the Civil War took place.  I’ll bring a metal detector and go on a search for old items, whatever that would be.  It’ll be a completely different way of how we vacation but excited to try something different. 

• Like 1

Rental car agencies sold off a chunk of their fleets last year and are slow to replace the vehicles. Hertz bankruptcy didn't help. A shortage of vehicles and increasing demand leads to high prices. Now lots of people are trying to buy vehicles and dealers don't have to discount much. Glad I bought one last year.

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Rental car agencies sold off a chunk of their fleets last year and are slow to replace the vehicles. Hertz bankruptcy didn't help. A shortage of vehicles and increasing demand leads to high prices. Now lots of people are trying to buy vehicles and dealers don't have to discount much. Glad I bought one last year.

Did not know this. Explains why my usual FLL car rentals went from $80-90 per stay to over $300 for same length of stay!

• Like 1

On the gulf coast there is a shortage of individuals working in restaurants. Restaurants have signs up asking for patience from the customers. Tourist traffic is high and the wait lines to eat can be long. Best to dine during  mid afternoon, not during prime time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Did not know this. Explains why my usual FLL car rentals went from $80-90 per stay to over $300 for same length of stay!

I cant find $300 for a week. 

Alaska wants you to come. They are offering free covid shots. Lol. It's very easy to get a covid shot here in texas. Too late for that push. 2 months ago might have worked. 

I got a cheap air flight to Tokyo. Wish I could go there. Kinda booked up. New condo now and Galveston booked sept, other cruises starting in dec.

20210423_140006976.jpeg

10 hours ago, James4me said:

We will be renting a motor home and do some traveling across our States and see historical monuments and places.  I’ve always wanted to go where the Civil War took place.  I’ll bring a metal detector and go on a search for old items, whatever that would be.  It’ll be a completely different way of how we vacation but excited to try something different. 

My wifes great great great great grandfather fought in the Civil War. He died in Pickett's Charge in Gettysburg. Last year we took my father in-law to Gettysburg and stayed in a Civil War era house there in downtown Gettysburg. It was so much fun. We went around to all of the battlefields there in Gettysburg and him and my wife walked the path that George Pickett and his men did and also the path of Pickett's Charge there, to see where their kinfolk died. It was very special for them to be able to do this.

Fast forward to this year. This past weekend my wife and I went to Richmond (Virginia) to Hollywood Cemetery (which is the second most visited cemetery in the United States only behind Arlington).. We went to see George Pickett's gravesite as well as the gravesites of all of his men from the CSA. Unfortunately her kinfolk was never recovered so we didn't see his marker, but to see all of the CSA tombs as well as George Pickett was pretty neat to see. Following Gettysburg up with that was closure and was very special for my wife. 

If you get a chance to go to Richmond, definitely go to Hollywood Cemetery. Also there is buried Jefferson Davis, President James Monroe and President John Tyler. 

Richmond and Hollywood Cemetery is a must for anyone interested in the Civil War. 

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I cant find $300 for a week. 

Are you finding more or less?  This is for 7 days in Orlando for Disney 5/1 and 6 day Memorial Day long weekend.  Booked it months and months ago.  Prices now seem to have gone up even more.

1 minute ago, pe4all said:

Are you finding more or less?  This is for 7 days in Orlando for Disney 5/1 and 6 day Memorial Day long weekend.  Booked it months and months ago.  Prices now seem to have gone up even more.

I mentioned the lowest above I saw last week. A rate of 23 a day, total was 450. A rate of 47 a day was 400. Havent found lower. The site I use for hotels is 62 a day ...plus taxes. Some have fees wrapped in they dont break out. One had a 129 fee added on. 23 a day plus fees is the lowest per day. But the fees make it more than higher rates.

And that's if i fly into orlando to save money. I did find a site might have a discount i havent worked out yet. I'd rather fly into Melbourne. I bought cape Canaveral. Been trying to find better car rates for the last week. Flying into orlando is the only savings I can find, otherwise it's even worse. Tried one week and the site for hotels couldnt return results for 7 days with a car added on. 

I havent found under 400 but still trying discount sites