Do you think Carnival will move its homeport?

seaman11

I am flying to Key West soon for vacation. Any cruise will be later next year. I want to go to the ABC islands. I know I will have to fly to Miami for that cruise. It will be on hold for a while, 2022, maybe.

11 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

The risk you mention is as much a mental illness risk for those that worry so much as the contagious illness the rest of us are attempting to overcome.

I'm assuming you quoted me by accident? My post had to do with Bermuda. What does that have to do with mental illness risk. 

I know I'm not in danger of mental illness over covid, you seem to be a little at risk that you bring it up out of the blue. 

As I said in another thread I have been missing the ocean and cruising has been my outlet. I made it to about xmas and decided to buy a oceanfront condo which I blame on the lack of cruising. If that's a mental illness lmao. Lack of enough ocean? Maybe you need the cure also. Inland too much and need to see the ocean disease. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

I am flying to Key West soon for vacation. Any cruise will be later next year. I want to go to the ABC islands. I know I will have to fly to Miami for that cruise. It will be on hold for a while, 2022, maybe.

Rcl goes there out of port Canaveral.  I haven't really looked what all leaves from there tbh as to which cruiselines and where they go.

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm assuming you quoted me by accident? My post had to do with Bermuda. What does that have to do with mental illness risk. 

I know I'm not in danger of mental illness over covid, you seem to be a little at risk that you bring it up out of the blue. 

As I said in another thread I have been missing the ocean and cruising has been my outlet. I made it to about xmas and decided to buy a oceanfront condo which I blame on the lack of cruising. If that's a mental illness lmao. Lack of enough ocean? Maybe you need the cure also. Inland too much and need to see the ocean disease. 

It also picked your name as I was quoting Etta1213 (who quoted you).  Now my latest reply is edited.  Haven’t had much use for it until cruising stopped & this bickering started.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail

10 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

It also picked your name as I was quoting Etta1213 (who quoted you).  There is no edit anymore (at least for me).  I would apologize but your rude reply earned the badge even if not originally intended.

Rude, sorry but it was meant half in jest, you brought up mental illness with no context I can understand.  Having just closed on a new condo, I'm very happy today, so perhaps I came across as flippant. There is a edit. Let me help you with that. See the three dots up above on the right hand side. The 3rd option is edit when you click on them.

First it's a reply where you quoted ME about mental illness, now my light hearted reply about maybe enjoying the cure like me, where I just purchased a oceanfront condo you might want to rethink. Your sense of humor is lacking!  I still cant make head or tails of your reply. I did figure you quoted me by mistake and joked back about it. 

Now you know how to edit, alls well that ends well. Dont let covid get to you so much.

Heres my cure to covid stopping my cruises. Closed last week. 

20210419_141601124.jpeg

20210419_141551413.jpeg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Seems silly to keep waiting on the cdc imo.

They are too scared to take any blame if something goes wrong. What do you think they are waiting for? 

You have to dig for any tidbit of info, I dont think cruising is high on the priority list, else it's right behind the study on  sanitation  of wind powered flush toilets. Why not put out a weekly " Here's where we are " info, here's a  progress chart,etc.

5 hours ago, kdr69 said:

60% is not herd immunity in my eyes.

If you were to take the known cases of Covid at 32 million and multiply by 4 for the unknown cases, we get 128 million with natural immunity. If the US Adult population is 330 million (no one really knows because of the open border policy) and 60% have immunity from vaccination, that is 198 million folks.

Add the natural immunity to the vaccinated immunity to get 328 million. That is 98.7% of the adult population, and sounds like herd immunity to me. Would Canada have similar stats? 

The CDC is slow walking any changes because it's the government, and they are here to help. (note sarcasm)

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Moviela said:

If you were to take the known cases of Covid at 32 million and multiply by 4 for the unknown cases, we get 128 million with natural immunity. If the US Adult population is 330 million (no one really knows because of the open border policy) and 60% have immunity from vaccination, that is 198 million folks.

Add the natural immunity to the vaccinated immunity to get 328 million. That is 98.7% of the adult population, and sounds like herd immunity to me. Would Canada have similar stats? 

The CDC is slow walking any changes because it's the government, and they are here to help. (note sarcasm)

Sarcasm noted....about the time we reach herd immunity, I can see this playing into..." You'll need Herd immunity for the B-117 variant, followed by the South African variant,followed by the new mutation".

• Like 2

Carnival Cruise Lines knows it’s demographics, and they most likely have already figured out that moving their home ports outside the US will not work for them. It may work for other cruise lines with different demographics but not for Carnival. Heck, Carnival had a hard time just getting people to cruise from San Juan which is a US territory and requires no passports!

Carnival is already attempting to appease  their demographics by stating that they are “America’s Cruise Line” (whatever that may mean), that vaccines won’t be required, and that they won’t move ships outside the US. But in my humble opinion they have cornered themselves with those statements in an effort to not alienate cruisers who’ve been loyal to them and who are their bread and butter. 

With that said, desperate times call for desperate measures, and if a restart in the US keeps stalling, Carnival may have no choice but to try what the other cruise lines are already doing. Probably start with ports close to the US. (maybe Ensenada for west coasters? Nassau or Cozumel for east coasters?) But I can’t see Carnival sending ships to places like Cyprus, Israel, Singapore, United Kingdom, etc like Royal Caribbean is doing. The New Orleans / Mobile / Galveston “drive to” crowd with no passports most likely won’t follow Carnival there. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Even though the supply is there, demand for vaccine in the US is dropping. I think something like 40% of republicans are saying no thanks. I think that means over 100% of everyone else will need to be vaccinated to get us to herd immunity 

Something that could/will potentially save lives and people are rejecting this "free" initiative. This is insanity and no excuses allowed. 

21 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Carnival Cruise Lines knows it’s demographics, and they most likely have already figured out that moving their home ports outside the US will not work for them. It may work for other cruise lines with different demographics but not for Carnival. Heck, Carnival had a hard time just getting people to cruise from San Juan which is a US territory and requires no passports!

Carnival is already attempting to appease  their demographics by stating that they are “America’s Cruise Line” (whatever that may mean), that vaccines won’t be required, and that they won’t move ships outside the US. But in my humble opinion they have cornered themselves with those statements in an effort to not alienate cruisers who’ve been loyal to them and who are their bread and butter. 

With that said, desperate times call for desperate measures, and if a restart in the US keeps stalling, Carnival may have no choice but to try what the other cruise lines are already doing. Probably start with ports close to the US. (maybe Ensenada for west coasters? Nassau or Cozumel for east coasters?) But I can’t see Carnival sending ships to places like Cyprus, Israel, Singapore, United Kingdom, etc like Royal Caribbean is doing. The New Orleans / Mobile / Galveston “drive to” crowd with no passports most likely won’t follow Carnival there. 

Tough situation to be engaged in at this time. Carnival certainly has to continue to appeal to it's loyal base while at the same time following the rules. At the end of the day they are Industry trendsetters and will figure it all out. Trust The Beards!!  

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

If you were to take the known cases of Covid at 32 million and multiply by 4 for the unknown cases

I've seen this kind of back-of-napkin math a fair bit.  Why multiply by four?  If they are unknown cases, why not guess 3, or 5, or 10?

What I have read of the "analyses" done so far demonstrates a cherry-picking of stats to back the chosen number into the supposed facts to support their pre-conceived conclusion.

According to one of those "estimates of unknowns", we've already achieved herd immunity.  Yeah, makes sense, new cases have dropped to practically zero.

Also gotta wonder why they haven't achieved herd immunity elsewhere, the supposed public statistics are about the same in a number of "western" societies like Belgium, Spain, or France (whose numbers per capita are not far behind the US), yet the figures are climbing as though there was still a huge proportion of the population not immunized through vaccine or disease.  Huh.

(note sarcasm)

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Will the CDC get involved in the border crossing disease risk? Or no jurisdiction?

No they are surely willing to let thousands cross with out testing. Bringing more covid-19 into the country and possibly using more hospital beds. It does not fit their agenda and the administrations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

At the end of the day they are Industry trendsetters and will figure it all out. Trust The Beards!!  

If there’s one thing that I need to acknowledge about Carnival is that they’ve had great management over the decades. We may not agree with every decision that their executives have ever made, but they have made Carnival the resoundingly successful company that it is today. 

But part of being a successful company has also meant backtracking decisions made. For example, when Bob Dickinson was at the helm (and during which time Carnival’s success exploded) he attempted to “upgrade” the experience to something that simply wasn’t what Carnival cruisers were seeking. Carnival then went back to its roots of offering affordable cruise vacations and a product more aligned with their demographics.

Carnival execs also said at one point in time that they had no interest in building anything bigger than Carnival Destiny, specifically as a response to Royal’s decision to go bigger and bigger. As we now know, Carnival did need to go bigger in order to remain competitive with other cruise lines. 

I can see Carnival execs needing to backtrack some of their recent decisions concerning COVID if the pause in cruising in then US continues indefinitely. Part of being a good exec is to know when it’s time to change decisions made. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

A week or so ago they announced they were studying white privilege. Sorry, google it if you dont believe it. Minorities arent getting the vaccine in enough numbers. It's on the cdc site. Not trying to start something. 

Cruising isnt even something they care about.

It doesn't quite take priority over a pandemic entering another wave.

3 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

No they are surely willing to let thousands cross with out testing. Bringing more covid-19 into the country and possibly using more hospital beds. It does not fit their agenda and the administrations.

Just more right wing political nonsense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, topaz123 said:

Sarcasm noted....about the time we reach herd immunity, I can see this playing into..." You'll need Herd immunity for the B-117 variant, followed by the South African variant,followed by the new mutation".

super flux capacitor variant

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It doesn't quite take priority over a pandemic entering another wave.

Reread my post. You attack with so little understanding.

Maybe sit back and not attack unless you know what you read, and people would respect you more.

My post said the cdc sees a problem with minorities not getting doses in the arm enough. Do you really not understand doses in the arm by minorities is related to the pandemic?  

Read the cdc website, before sounding dumber than dumb. It's about covid.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/health-equity/race-ethnicity.html

https://www.cdc.gov/healthequity/racism-disparities/index.html

20210419_194949942.jpeg

52 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Reread my post. You attack with so little understanding.

Maybe sit back and not attack unless you know what you read, and people would respect you more.

"Cruising isnt even something they care about. " posted by firefly333

"It doesn't quite take priority over a pandemic entering another wave. " replied me.

37 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

why are they not testing people at the boarders then. All the people they have in rooms, you don't think that's a spread waiting to happen

They are testing many. Why do you think they are testing none? For extra credit, look up the positivity rate. I'll help,

But back in March, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency told lawmakers that the positivity rates for people coming across the border at the time was less than 6%. For some comparison, the average positivity rate in Texas was above 7% at that time.

9 minutes ago, hurricane0226 said:

The southern border is a hot spot for covid, but of course, can't talk about that, just about 

Florida and spring break. 

Not as hot as some Murican states. here are some positive rates

Here are the rates of positive COVID-19 tests in each state, along with the number of new cases most recently reported and number of tests conducted per 100,000 people.  Data points were last updated April 19. Data for positivity rates and tests are seven-day moving averages. New cases are daily counts as reported by state and the District of Columbia. The information cited is from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. States are arranged in descending order of test positivity rates.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-covid-19-test-positivity-rates-july-14.html

16 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

I hope they do change homeports at this time for the rest of the year or so. The CDC is just playing politics at this time. High risk people are vaccinated or have atleast been given the chance to get vaccinated. 

99% survival rate BEFORE the vaccines..

What's really going on here?

Look at where your tax money is actually going in these stimulus bills and you'll see.

Exactly. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Also gotta wonder why they haven't achieved herd immunity elsewhere, the supposed public statistics are about the same in a number of "western" societies like Belgium, Spain, or France (whose numbers per capita are not far behind the US), yet the figures are climbing as though there was still a huge proportion of the population not immunized through vaccine or disease.  Huh.

(note sarcasm)

Didnt the UK say they reached herd immunity?  They did one first shot and concentrated on getting one shot into everyone's arms first.

Faucci shot down this approach for the usa. He was a no. So we are behind in herd immunity but hopefully get there.

I'd think israel reached herd immunity too, but didnt read it in the news.