Do you think Carnival will move its homeport?

seaman11

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They can start with copying the procedures from one of the cruise lines that are successfully cruising. How hard is that? They know they will have to do test cruises before the next phase.

MSC, who has been successfully cruising since last August, and is launching another 9 ships by August 1st in Europe,  can not get approval from the CDC to do the same thing in the US.

It is not about safety.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Can you imagine what it would cost Carnival to move it's home port.  They would have to build terminals to hold and facilitate the handling of passengers and their luggage.  Hire and train  employees to handle luggage and load supplies.  Are any of the piers even set up for something like that?  

Most US ports that we've sailed from, you aren't any where near where they load supplies.  In the Caribbean, you would have passengers walking down the same pier that has lift trucks going back and forth loading the ship.  That's just asking for trouble.

Speaking of supplies, it would cost Carnival an arm and a leg to stock the ship with food, spirits, fuel,  etc.  Those islands get their supplies from mostly the US.  Now that has to be shipped to the islands at a cost.  That cost would reflect what Carnival would now have to pay for those supplies.

Yes and this is what the CDC is counting on. The CDC is slow playing return to sailing betting the cost to move home ports will keep the cruise industry in line. Yes shots are now available for anyone who whats one just make an appointment. More states need to file law suits like Florida and Alaska. Might Maryland and Louisiana join in? More pressure the better. (i know i left out NY but never in a 100 yrs would the state apply any pressure)    

• Like 5

I dont accept the idea that we could be sailing if only CCL would issue a compliance plan. CCL is a for profit company, if this was the only condition to resume we would be sailing now. I don't view CCL as the road block. The 50 percent figure was broadcast on CBS evening news last week.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Doesn't Carnival still have a bunch of environmental violation issues to deal with or is that all in the past?  I haven't been keeping up on this issue.

Thx.

Not to worry oh so many others have been😏

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Even though the supply is there, demand for vaccine in the US is dropping. I think something like 40% of republicans are saying no thanks. I think that means over 100% of everyone else will need to be vaccinated to get us to herd immunity 

60% is not herd immunity in my eyes.

If cruising can't begin in the US this year, people who have the means will just fly out of the country to cruise on the lines that have that option.  While we really love cruising on Carnival, we've had enjoyable cruises on other lines too.  It seems like our country's leaders are in the business of destroying businesses in the name of "protecting" people from a virus that is not deadly to nearly everyone who gets it and a vaccine can protect the high risk people from becoming seriously ill.  

This is getting old and to wipe out an entire industry over hysterical fears is ridiculous.  People who are fearful should continue to stay home and let everyone assume their risks.  Other countries seem to have more realistic leadership and realize that cruising can happen safely.

• Like 7

What if we dont reach herd immunity? I saw biden will start running targeted infomercials aimed at under vaccinated groups to try and get us there or we dont reach herd immunity. Dallas is using maverick and other infomercials. I heard a governor say this morning we could be fighting covid for years to come.

Does that mean the cdc never allows cruising from usa? I'm getting a bit worried. We wouldnt get low enough to suit the cdc.

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

What if we dont reach herd immunity? I saw biden will start running targeted infomercials aimed at under vaccinated groups to try and get us there or we dont reach herd immunity. Dallas is using maverick and other infomercials. I heard a governor say this morning we could be fighting covid for years to come.

Does that mean the cdc never allows cruising from usa? I'm getting a bit worried. We wouldnt get low enough to suit the cdc.

Will the CDC get involved in the border crossing disease risk? Or no jurisdiction?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If cruising can't begin in the US this year, people who have the means will just fly out of the country to cruise on the lines that have that option.  While we really love cruising on Carnival, we've had enjoyable cruises on other lines too.  It seems like our country's leaders are in the business of destroying businesses in the name of "protecting" people from a virus that is not deadly to nearly everyone who gets it and a vaccine can protect the high risk people from becoming seriously ill.  

This is getting old and to wipe out an entire industry over hysterical fears is ridiculous.  People who are fearful should continue to stay home and let everyone assume their risks.  Other countries seem to have more realistic leadership and realize that cruising can happen safely.

Well said....Covid will NEVER go away, always gonna be a variant, or a booster needed., it's the endless wheel.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

Will the CDC get involved in the border crossing disease risk? Or no jurisdiction?

If they did, it would look really bad since they have been letting people fly to other countries this entire time without the vaccine. It would be clear it was to stop cruising. I know many people who have flown to Mexico this year  in place of cruising.

We often assume though that the CDC wants to get cruising restarted. There is no evidence that they have that goal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, yes I think Carnival will move. It doesn't seem that the CDC is in any hurry to change things. We're booked for early 2022, but that probably won't work, so I'll most likely be canceling. The way things are going, 2024 is looking like a better option. Early 2022 would have been our 26th cruise and the last thing I would do is fly to Bermuda, Bahamas, Europe, etc. to board a cruise ship. If I'm flying to those destinations, I'm staying there and doing a land vacation. So glad we were able to cruise over the years because I think that cruising, at least from U.S., will be a thing of the past and it seems to be how the CDC will finally achieve what it has wanted for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

the last thing I would do is fly to Bermuda, Bahamas, Europe, etc. to board a cruise ship. If I'm flying to those destinations, I'm staying there and doing a land vacation. So glad we were able to cruise over the years because I think that cruising, at least from U.S., will be a thing of the past and it seems to be how the CDC will finally achieve what it has wanted for a long time. 

I'm thinking the same thing. Why would I want to cruise out of Bermuda rather than nassau for instance if air2sea flies me in the day of the cruise to board. I wouldnt see any of Bermuda. Port fees are quite a bit higher out of bermuda. 175 vs 99 out of nassau.

I'd want to see some of bermuda not just board a bus at the airport and board the ship.

14 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

Unfortunately, yes I think Carnival will move. It doesn't seem that the CDC is in any hurry to change things. We're booked for early 2022, but that probably won't work, so I'll most likely be canceling. The way things are going, 2024 is looking like a better option. Early 2022 would have been our 26th cruise and the last thing I would do is fly to Bermuda, Bahamas, Europe, etc. to board a cruise ship. If I'm flying to those destinations, I'm staying there and doing a land vacation. So glad we were able to cruise over the years because I think that cruising, at least from U.S., will be a thing of the past and it seems to be how the CDC will finally achieve what it has wanted for a long time. 

That's interesting. I like the cruise ship and really do not care if it stops anywhere. So I would fly to Cozumel and get on a cruise ship, but I know that I am in the minority, so maybe Carnival sailing from Cozumel is not the best plan. 

I have about 14 cruises with Carnival (132 nights) over a 9 year period. I will probably cruise less if the number of cruises from the US drops. Of the 14 cruises, I have only flown to two of the ports. Ft Lauderdale and San Juan. I was planning to fly to Miami, but the cruise was cancelled. Flying adds another $1000 on average to the cost of the cruise for two. 

11 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

I have about 14 cruises with Carnival (132 nights) over a 9 year period. I will probably cruise less if the number of cruises from the US drops. Of the 14 cruises, I have only flown to two of the ports. Ft Lauderdale and San Juan. I was planning to fly to Miami, but the cruise was cancelled. Flying adds another $1000 on average to the cost of the cruise for two. 

I would certainly have to cruise less if that happened. I often cruise for less than the price of a ticket for one to Cancun. 

7 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

I hope they do change homeports at this time for the rest of the year or so. The CDC is just playing politics at this time. High risk people are vaccinated or have atleast been given the chance to get vaccinated. 

99% survival rate BEFORE the vaccines..

What's really going on here?

Look at where your tax money is actually going in these stimulus bills and you'll see.

Actually many are confusing the stimulus bill with the spending bill, those are seperate bills.  But i agree with you on the changing the home port and vaccine situation.  The CDC is in talks but have been for quite some time, it really means nothing for restarting cruises in a few months in the US.  RCL and NCL have seen this writing on the wall and made the move,  carnival should too. 

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

There's a reason 99% of us on CruiseCritic aren't CEO's of a cruise line. We're just not that intelligent.

However some of us have been ceos of different companies and we can look at what other ceos of other cruiselines have done.  

I agree many would sail less if they have to fly , but since the restart will be slow anyway and demand is up I would think many would not mind flying to one once this year since we havent cruised in quite some time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KennyFla said:

MSC, who has been successfully cruising since last August, and is launching another 9 ships by August 1st in Europe,  can not get approval from the CDC to do the same thing in the US.

It is not about safety.

MSC is planning on some launches from Florida in July. The odds are slim and none. But they will happily take your money.

It is all about safety. Americans currently are not welcome to cruise in Europe where the CDC has no jurisdiction.

5 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Actually many are confusing the stimulus bill with the spending bill, those are seperate bills.  But i agree with you on the changing the home port and vaccine situation.  The CDC is in talks but have been for quite some time, it really means nothing for restarting cruises in a few months in the US.  RCL and NCL have seen this writing on the wall and made the move,  carnival should too. 

Yes.  Even the cruise lines prefer talking and negotiating with the CDC and have said so. They have no intention of joining the frivolous and politically motivated Florida lawsuit.

Congress isn't going to do anything with cruising bills, including the one to bypass PVSA.