Reduced capacity?

Redtravel

Got a brochure this week. It described the new protocols.  It listed many positive features.  The one that stood out was reduced capacity to provide more space on the ship.  Does anyone know what percentage of cabins will be left empty to achieve this?

FDR has repeatedly said ships will only initially be filled to between 50-60% capacity. 

When you see the early cruises listed as waitlisted that means they were only booked to the above levels, not completely full.

Since we don’t know when cruising will resume, we likewise don’t know the meaning of “ initially “. Therefore, as a guess, those booking levels continue well into 2022.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

Per the plan that NCLH submitted to the CDC:

"On or about July 4, 2021, NCLH vessels will begin cruise operations at an initial reduced capacity of 60%, gradually ramping up our fleet departing from U.S. ports and increasing capacity by 20% every 30 days."

• Like 1

It sounds like the reduced capacity allows Oceania to go through new protocols and procedures without being overwhelmed.  Basically, they will slowly ramp up to full capacity by 2-3 months after first sailing provided they only allow fully vaccinated passengers aboard the ships.  

• Like 1

All that stuff in the booklets or online is just marketing fluff to pass the time. What happens once the ships "actually" start sailing again is the way things will be. Until then I wouldn't make any big plans or plan on anything being a certain way. 

FWIW, they've been putting that information with the "new protocols"  in the circulars and online for months. There haven't been any cruises yet under the new protocols. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What we know so far is Marina is in Genoa and Riviera in Napoli but does anyone know if either of these two ships have had any of the proposed/required retrofitting done to them while in various Italian ports?  Based on conversations with some Oceania staffers, I am making the assumption the first O ships to sail will be one or both of these ships.  Anyone else reading the tea leaves differently? 
Reduced capacity would mean 750 paying guests so the numbers suggest M or R.  We are in contact with some ship staff around the globe and they are not yet being called back.  While the US is making progress with vaccines, if Oceania does not handle the crew vaccinations, I can’t imagine the crew will be able to get shots in their home countries.  

Thoughts?

Gerry

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

While the US is making progress with vaccines, if Oceania does not handle the crew vaccinations, I can’t imagine the crew will be able to get shots in their home countries.  

This is one aspect that doesn't seem to be discussed much.

Just how are the various cruise lines going with their plans to have fully vaccinated crew in sufficient numbers to commence sailings in 3 months time ?

It's not only getting vaccinations in arms, but then getting those crew onboard the various ships.  

With travel restrictions being increased recently, travel for crew out of countries such as India, Philippines and Indonesia would not be easy. 

Edited by Tranquility Base

Oceania, having executed Step 1 ( moving Payment in Full date to 60 days precruise) of cancellation for all cruises through October, means cruises won’t restart at the earliest until November. If restart from cold storage requires 90 days, that means the crews won’t be recalled until August (11-3). 

We are around 100 days until then. Gives Oceania lots of time to evaluate conditions in the various countries. 

Working against that are November cruises that have final payment due in June. If they move final payment until even August , most will assume cancellation. Therefore, a small window exists between mid June and 1 Aug and announcing a GO light or cancellation until 2022.

Absolutely challenging.  You raise very valid questions and I am glad I am not in charge of making it all happen. 

Pinotlover, fantastic points made.  The only thing I think that makes our October Istanbul Grand Voyage and then Rome Transatlantic Grand Voyage possible is that the October restrictions won’t apply to the European sailings, only CDC No Sail controlled US Port sailings.  As long as we were able to return to Miami in December, we are good to go.  
Got to remain optimistic for 10/2021 or move on to planning our May 2022 cruise Nautica cruise.

🙏👍🤞🍷🛳🥂🤪🤙😇

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

With travel restrictions being increased recently, travel for crew out of countries such as India, Philippines and Indonesia would not be easy. 

Maybe they can fly them to Canada   we have no restrictions on flights from India it seems s 🙄

One of the major hotspots & our Government  has allowed 35 flight in the past 2 wks  in from India alone  who knows how many other Countries to  they have  allowed to in

yet they closed the Ontario land borders 😲

no wonder we have over 4000 cases  a day 😷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they can fly them to Canada   we have no restrictions on flights from India it seems s 🙄

One of the major hotspots & our Government  has allowed 35 flight in the past 2 wks  in from India alone  who knows how many other Countries to  they have  allowed to in

I wonder what that's all about. I've been so admiring Canada for the last year. (Isn't that amazing? A YEAR!)

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Looks link Canada has suspended flight from India  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/22/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/#link-KQ5MQINKCFCPZHHGUULL2QZGPU

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KS&JW said:

Starting tonight

TOO LITTLE  TOO LATE

They already have new variant case  from people that came in recently from India

Those that want in will just  re route to another Country  & come on in

The  Officials  will fly where ever  they want   while the rest of us will stay locked down for another year

If I sound angry I am

They should have stopped all International flights  months ago

We had more restriction last year when we knew nothing of the virus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lock downs won’t stop the virus. Only vaccinations will.

We have subgroups of our population here that live in high density quarters that refuse to get vaccinated. Unless the total lockdowns are six months or more, the virus will spread upon reopening. Proven Fact.

Vaccinate your people or quit crying about it. Locally, we’re vaccinated everyone 16 and above. Anyone can walk into a Kroger’s grocery/pharmacy store and be vaccinated without an appointment.  

On a side note, I’m tired of paying people to walk around our minority neighborhoods begging people to be vaccinated, then reading some bozo talk about vaccination equity. We’ve set up vaccination centers in the middle of the minority communities to make it easy for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I called Oceania to book the Privee, I asked about the ship's sailing capacity.  I was told at that time, about 2 month ago, it would be 100% filled!    I was quite surprised.

Then, I called another time, regarding another matter and asked this question again and was given the same answer.....go figure.

4 hours ago, Condocat said:

When I called Oceania to book the Privee, I asked about the ship's sailing capacity.  I was told at that time, about 2 month ago, it would be 100% filled!    I was quite surprised.

Then, I called another time, regarding another matter and asked this question again and was given the same answer.....go figure.

Look at comment #3 and do the math.  Unless you expect Oceania to restart in 2022, it can be 100% (they still have to sell out their ship).

The UK has just published their guidelines for cruises restarting and are mandating that passenger levels on ships departing from the UK be 1000 capacity or 50% whichever is smallest.

Sounds like they are making it up as they go along.  Social distancing and reduced capacity on a cruise ship is not a profitable arrangement.  Filling to full capacity is their aim. Businesses want to make maximum profits.  Reducing capacity doesn’t work to attain this goal.  Since their is no authority enforcing reduced capacity or social distancing at sea, if cruises reduce the number of guests it will be amazing.  Until ships sail, nothing is real. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Sounds like they are making it up as they go along.  

Just about everything regarding this virus has been made up as we go along.

With some notable exceptions such as Taiwan.

They were wise enough to remember lessons from the past, and had smart leaders running their country.

Social distancing and reduced capacity on a cruise ship is not a profitable arrangement.  

Cruise lines just need to start some cruising initially so as to reduce the cash flow burn.

Profits will eventually follow.

Since their is no authority enforcing reduced capacity or social distancing at sea, if cruises reduce the number of guests it will be amazing.  

The countries of embarkation / disembarkation and ports visited are able to mandate procedures.

Until ships sail, nothing is real. 

Cruise ships are sailing now with reduced capacity.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:38 AM, Condocat said:

We are booked on Marina January 8, 2022 and I was told when I asked this question, it will be at full, 100% capacity.

I dont know who told you that but no one knows that yet...

Jancruz1

• Like 1

Pinot lover et al, in my chat the other day with my Miami O rep, we were talking about vaccinations and FDR’s requirement for staff and guests to be vaccinated. Personally we have been vaccinated since February and so have all our friends in our little “pandemic pod” . We are very happy to see this requirement in place and have no problem with it, thank you FDR!  The part that has me a bit perplexed is that Oceania is hearing from many cruisers, no idea what kind of percentages though, that they are upset with the requirement and won’t sail until rescinded.  Since the vast majority of Oceania’s demographic is 60+, let’s call ourselves “mature adults”, it was surprising to hear this. We are in California and in a 50k size city, but we know of very few mature adults boycotting the vaccinations. In California we are seeing the reports that authorities are already allowing walk ins w/o appointments and that on line appointments are immediately available and in some places going wanting  Within 30 days we will be seeing stories about a glut of vaccines.  What is it like where you are?  Of your friends who are cruisers, what is the feeling about vaccinations?

Del Rio has stuck NCLH lines necks out on this requirement in an attempt to get global approval to sail again and from at least the CDC, received “Bupkis”. Let’s hope there are some positive steps made soon, cruising or not, because we have to get this problem behind us and hopefully learn something in the process. 

Ciao,

Bonnie and Gerry 

23 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The part that has me a bit perplexed is that Oceania is hearing from many cruisers, no idea what kind of percentages though, that they are upset with the requirement and won’t sail until rescinded.  Since the vast majority of Oceania’s demographic is 60+, let’s call ourselves “mature adults”, it was surprising to hear this.

Was is specific to Oceania that people would not sail  or NCLH?

I am personally happy that all will need to be vaccinated

Those that do not want the vaccine...  Adios

JMO

• Like 5

If anyone thinks they will be cruising in 2021 on the published itinerary, I have some stock in MCI/Worldcom,  Enron, ToyR Us and Sears you might want to buy..

Baby steps first.  Likely, Caribbean or Mexico sailings where they are open to tourism and North Americans can fly to. Most of EU is closed and O"s main demographic are North Americans.  That leaves Insignia and Regatta the primary first steps.  Maybe O will do a Greece cruise with one of the O ships, but they still need to crew it and that might pose some difficulty.

• Like 2