CDC Mask Guidance for Outdoors to be relaxed and announced tomorrow

Just now, harkinmr said:

Well.  Based on your post, the people who don't take this pandemic seriously.  Why else the drama about not being able to hug Grandma?  Why the obvious questioning of the infectious nature of this very deadly disease?

I do take it seriously.  I also care about how the young children of today are going to be harmed by the last year.  I care about the business owner who lost everything.  I care about the people who didn't get diagnostic tests that could save their life.  I also can do math.  Over a year later and even if each positive test was a distinct individual only 13% of my county has tested positive.  That leaves 87% of my county who never tested positive for this highly infectious disease.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Heymarco said:

Don’t forget grandma’s say in the matter. Would it be better if she died alone? 🤷‍♂️

Oh wait.  So we're actually considering Grandma's perspective?  Well then, if Grandma consents to being infected then that is on her.  If she's dying it's too late though because folks are not going to be allowed to be with her.  So is it really worth it?

Just now, Keksie said:

I do take it seriously.  I also care about how the young children of today are going to be harmed by the last year.  I care about the business owner who lost everything.  I care about the people who didn't get diagnostic tests that could save their life.  I also can do math.  Over a year later and even if each positive test was a distinct individual only 13% of my county has tested positive.  That leaves 87% of my county who never tested positive for this highly infectious disease.  

You are not taking the disease and its impact on people seriously at all.  You are worried about collateral damage from the means that are used to attack the disease and prevent it from infecting and killing more people.  I can assure you that far more than 13% of this country has been infected.  And discounting 575K+ lives (and counting) is not a good look for anyone or for this country.

7 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Unbelievable.  Even if that wasn't ridiculous, which it is, the experts have said for months that masks don't offer much if any protection from virus in the air, just help prevent people from spreading it.  

And we travelled 10-12 states for 2 months January-March and nowhere were "most" people wearing masks in their cars...........

My wife ,an RN for 27 years believes that she should be wearing a mask.

I am disabled.I have 2 illnesses for which there is no cure as well as eleven other medical problems.I have no idea why I am still alive.

My wife believes that I should wear a mask whenever I am out of the house.I hate wearing it because I have respiratory problems however,we have been married 54 years and I have to do whatever she tells me too.I am in bed 21 hours a day.I only go out to doctors ,hospitals and to see my grandkids from inside my car.That is my life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BND said:

By that logic she should wear one inside your house and while out in your yard.  We have not worn masks outside unless it was required (beach boardwalk when social distancing wasn't possible, walking into or out of restaurants, church, etc).  And, nope the majority of drivers I see are not wearing masks.  

I wear a mask in my house if someone comes in.I do not have a yard.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I wear a mask in my house if someone comes in.I do not have a yard.

You know what I meant.  By your wife's logic, you should be wearing a mask all the time, 24/7.  Houses have air seep in and out all the time.  

5 hours ago, BND said:

In the last year we have had our bathroom remodeled, had HVAC people in to do work, electricians and plumbers to do other work, house cleaners (every two weeks for the last few months).  We've also been eating out, going to church and seeing our grown kids.  None of us got sick.  My BIL, who was much more careful than us to the point of not going out anywhere except for groceries (working from home as is his wife), got his first shot several weeks ago and three days later got sick.  He tested positive and spent a week in ICU on oxygen, remdesivir and other meds (steroids and antibiotics) because he had double pneumonia.  He's home and doing a lot better now, but masks didn't protect him.   BTW, his wife didn't catch it.

Stay well forever.I do not have a forever.

3 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Don’t forget grandma’s say in the matter. Would it be better if she died alone? 🤷‍♂️

Exactly.  I am thankful my mother passed before all this started.  She had dementia, I visited every day.  I could talk her into eating and letting them give her showers.  She would not have understood a virtual visit.   

I have been wearing a mask from the car into every business I enter, not removing it until I return to the car.  That ends tomorrow.  I didn’t really mind at first, but we were vaccinated fairly early (last shot in mid-February), and it has gotten to feel burdensome as time passes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Exactly.  I am thankful my mother passed before all this started.  She had dementia, I visited every day.  I could talk her into eating and letting them give her showers.  She would not have understood a virtual visit.   

My mother died from COVID last August.  She was in a nursing home.  A staff member brought the infection into the home and sickened 40 patients.  My mother did not survive.  She died painfully and alone.  I do not blame COVID or the protocols that were supposed to protect her.  I blame the careless staff member who did not follow those protocols!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

My mother died from COVID last August.  She was in a nursing home.  A staff member brought the infection into the home and sickened 40 patients.  My mother did not survive.  She died painfully and alone.  I do not blame COVID or the protocols that were supposed to protect her.  I blame the careless staff member who did not follow those protocols!

I am sorry for your loss.  Having lost my mother 3 years ago I know how sad that is.  

37 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Well.  Based on your post, the people who don't take this pandemic seriously.  Why else the drama about not being able to hug Grandma?  Why the obvious questioning of the infectious nature of this very deadly disease?

Thank you for letting me know who my people are.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Like I watched my mom pass away on Zoom?  Alone. 

My in-laws in their 70s decided early on they were not going to not see their grandkids.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

No one does.  At least not on this planet.

I more so because I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2014 and there is no cure for that .Then diagnosed with CVI in 2015 ,no cure plus many other wonderful medical problems. My goal is to live long enough to do one more cruise,

On 4/26/2021 at 3:15 PM, Keksie said:

I had my kitchen and bathroom remodeled last March and April.  No one wore a mask and I had a lot of people coming and going.  I guess each area of the country is different.

My in laws had painters in their house and got covid. My mother in law was hospitalized for 5 night. My father in law was close to needing o2. My mother in law was on 4L o2 when discharged and had tanks delivered to her house and used them the following 3 weeks solid then 3 weeks off and on after she went for shot walks. Additionally, she still has blood pressure issues. So, you got lucky. That doesn’t mean it was the smart thing to do. 

• Like 1

Just now, BND said:

Um, what lengthy reply?  

I am dealing with two illnesses for which there is no cure and 11 other medical problems.I am in bed 21 hours a day.I cannot walk .The only time I am outside is to go to doctors and hospitals. I had 2 surgeries during the pandemic.If my wife ,an RN believes I should wear a mask I do not question her.I am in my 9th.decade of life and did not have a serious illness until 2003 .Therefore,if it is my time to go I cannot complain.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AtlantaAlly said:

My in laws had painters in their house and got covid. My mother in law was hospitalized for 5 night. My father in law was close to needing o2. My mother in law was on 4L o2 when discharged and had tanks delivered to her house and used them the following 3 weeks solid then 3 weeks off and on after she went for shot walks. Additionally, she still has blood pressure issues. So, you got lucky. That doesn’t mean it was the smart thing to do. 

Maybe they were just unlucky.  I got the work I needed done, I was home the whole time and the contractors were not busy.  If I waited until now the price would have doubled, the contractors would be too busy and I have too much going on to be home all the time.  

27 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I am sorry for your loss.  Having lost my mother 3 years ago I know how sad that is.  

I just don’t think you are. If you were, you would have helped stop the spread of this deadly thing. Instead you brag that you disregard medical recommendations and have people traipsing through your house unmasked for long periods of time. Perhaps your behavior killed someone. You wouldn’t care.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am dealing with two illnesses for which there is no cure and 11 other medical problems.I am in bed 21 hours a day.I cannot walk .The only time I am outside is to go to doctors and hospitals. I had 2 surgeries during the pandemic.If my wife ,an RN believes I should wear a mask I do not question her.I am in my 9th.decade of life and did not have a serious illness until 2003 .Therefore,if it is my time to go I cannot complain.

I knew of your medical issues but, somehow, was not aware of your years young. Do what you and your wife feel is appropriate and don't let people on this board either stress you or cause you to question your decisions. 

Stay safe.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I knew of your medical issues but, somehow, was not aware of your years young. Do what you and your wife feel is appropriate and don't let people on this board either stress you or cause you to question your decisions. 

Stay safe.

Thank you so very much. I greatly appreciate your words.

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

This is the problem... a certain segment of society have determined that their concerns are virtuous and your concerns are selfish.  As long as group A controls the narrative reasonable discussion isn't even possible.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

My mom passed in the middle of it.  Thankfully, in the Hospice she went into we were allowed two visitors per day since this was end of life care.  However, the adjacent facility was a long term care place where I would watch as families gather at the window for their allotted 10 minutes and place their hand on the window to mimic actual human contact.  They have been doing that for 14 months now.  How many grand parents died unable to able to have any real contact with loved one? How many died of loneliness? How many in their confused state died angry and bitter because no one came to visit.  I was blessed to spend the last couple months with mom. So many weren't.

• Like 7