Booking directly with cruise line vs. travel agent?

I spoke to a customer service representative at Regent Seven Seas today to clarify their current refund policy. She pressed me to book with her. She said I could book the cruise with her, submit a deposit and then transfer my cruise to my travel agent. Can someone explain what she was doing? Does she get some sort of credit or commission from Regent? Wouldn’t that be a disadvantage to my travel agent? Enlighten me, please.

33 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

They make a few bucks and your TA gets full commission. 

I've done that with Oceania. Got a discount from them and then transferred to a TA who gave me gratuities.

i have done this a number of times with Regent and Oceania.  As others have said, the Regent rep gets a small commission, and the TA you want to handle the cruise gets their full commission.  Sometimes it makes really good sense to go this way if you want to book a specific cabin or level for a popular cruise, e.g. World Cruise, because the Regent rep can get to reservations before private TAs can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladymadeline said:

I spoke to a customer service representative at Regent Seven Seas today to clarify their current refund policy. She pressed me to book with her. She said I could book the cruise with her, submit a deposit and then transfer my cruise to my travel agent. Can someone explain what she was doing? Does she get some sort of credit or commission from Regent? Wouldn’t that be a disadvantage to my travel agent? Enlighten me, please.

I often book Regent and Oceania directly (I have a nice rep there), and then I let my TA take over the booking in order to get a rebate and other perks. I belive the Regent/Oceania rep gets some kind of commission for handling the original booking.

• Like 2

We almost always book onboard (for all the obvious reasons) and assign it to ourselves (for flexibility so it doesn’t automatically assign to the TA we used for that cruise).  Then we transfer to the most appropriate of several TAs we regularly use (for the added perks) within the 30 day transfer window. 

But, of course, there is no “onboard” right now.
Normally, I’d just deal with one of our preferred TAs for new bookings in that situation (or if we don’t want to wait to book onboard on our next cruise). 

However, with a lot of FCCs in play recently and needing to do some transfers of the FCCs to other cruises without issue (e.g., “use by” deadline exemptions), we’re currently using a well respected and long serving O rep to do the transfers, FCC exemption requests and several new bookings in 2022-23. He’s making sure “book onboard” perks stayed intact for the transfers. Everything will be flawless in his hands. And then, within the same 30 day transfer window, we’ll move the cruises to the appropriate TA(s) for those individual cruises.

BTW, regarding “book onboard”: If a popular new cruise announcement is made before you are onboard, you can book it direct or via TA to grab your cabin and then rebook onboard (for the extra O stuff) within an allowable window (I seem to remember 30 days - but don’t quote me).

20 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Our travel agent typically knows the ships well enough to steer us away from particular cabins because of various issues.  Will the Regent representative offer the same information?

Like TAs, it really depends on with which one are you talking. 

• Like 2

I do wonder if the typical Regent rep has much if any actual experience on board each ship. As it happens, my TA, along with her colleagues at her agency, do collectively have hundreds of nights on board, and has tipped me off to certain quirks about a particular ship or cabin type. I'm not sure if a rep can or will do this. I'm not saying this as a passive way of arguing the point. I genuinely don't know, and am wondering.

Something else I wonder about is what cabins are available to what agents for booking. In particular, are the Regent reps looking at the same cabin availability that you see when you do a "test" booking yourself online? A couple of times now, I've checked for a particular cabin that I like on Explorer (and presume I will also like on Splendor), and it did not show up as available on the test booking. I then contacted my TA to book the cruise, and she was able to snag me that cabin.

• Like 3

Another thing that makes me wonder about onboard bookings: 

Since usually I can get a fare for economy class that costs less than the Regent air credit, I will book my own if the flight is less than 5 hours. Anything over that (assuming it is trans-continental), I'd rather use Regent air since it's business class and the air credit is less than what I can get on my own.  On a trans-ocean cruise, I split the difference and take Regent air for the flight across the ocean and take the credit for the domestic U.S. flight.

When I do this through my TA, the air credit has always been half the amount that Regent states as the air credit. So, for example, if an air credit of $2,500 was offered for Barcelona to Miami, I'd get a credit of $1,250 for the flight from Miami.

However, the one time I did an onboard booking for a set-up like this, and had it transferred to my TA, I wound up getting a more proportionate credit. Using the example above, I got a credit of $300 for the Miami flight, thus paying $2,200 for the flight to Barcelona. (the amounts are just examples--I don't remember the exact amounts or even the exact routes. But I do remember the anomaly). And, yes, I'd booked it onboard with that flight credit configuration.

So, was this a coincidence, or is my TA able to work something out that I can't get from Regent directly?

I've found the Regent agents to be very knowledgable....but I only use one at this point. Having found one I like, I only use them. I have over 500 nights and they know a LOT and are able to provide me with some insights I don't have.

• Like 2

On rare occasions, after 16 Regent cruises,  do I book direct with Regent, but 100% of the time when I book first with Regent, I transfer the booking made with Regent to our TA who provides 360 degree service (pre, during, after the sale).

So many cruise critics focus is only on the cost of the cruise and what bennies they can get from either Regent or their TA.  You need to find a TA that provides the best value before sailing, provides service during your cruise, and provides service post cruise.

We are comfortable with our TA, since they guarantee the best price/value over any price other TA's or any cruiseline offer in the world.  However, that is not the whole story.

Last March in the waters off Capetown (on another luxury cruiseline) we were held by the Government of South Africa for four days at anchor off the Capetown pier. Our cruise line was swamped trying to get their World Cruisers home from Australia at the same time we were stuck in the waters off Capetown.  The Reception desk on our ship, said they could not coordinate our air home until the World Cruisers were taken care of. To take care of our concerns to get home as Covid was rearing its ugly head, Our TA bought us Business class tickets home (even tho we had included Biz Class air Home)  from Capetown.  Please remember it is not only getting a good deal from your Regent customer service agent or your TA but it is service after the sale that counts too.

• Like 3

On 4/27/2021 at 5:50 PM, WesW said:

You need to find a TA that provides the best value before sailing, provides service during your cruise, and provides service post cruise.

I completely agree with this.  Just like car or home insurance, you hope you don't need the assistance while on a trip, but when you do need help, you need a TA that will respond.  While our TA doesn't give us cash back, we definitely feel taken care of.  She will rework our cruise pricing if a special comes up, without me saying anything.  She will work airfare for us, advising whether to take included air fare or it the market is such that she can get us something better.  She is also a member of Virtuoso Voyager, so on a couple cruises we have gotten a really nice excursion with just about 12-14 people with some extra stops etc.  My sister also used our TA, and on a trip that had in country flights in Africa, they had a  flight that was very delayed and this was going to cause ripple reactions.  She texted our TA as the plane finally took off and by the time they landed the impacted arrangements had been changed and paperwork for a insurance claim was ready for a signature.

I will book while on board to get the discounts etc; and the booking will be transferred to our TA to handle it from there.

• Like 2

I agree, 100% using a TA.  You just get more for your money than booking direct.  I also book on the ship for the extra discount, but always add my TA name when booking on the ship.  Big factor: when something goes wrong, your TA can make it right, fix it or tell you why it's not a Regent problem.   

I'll just put my hand up here and say that the process is very different for non-Americans.  For example, travel agents operate in a completely different way in the UK, where most are owned/affiliated to the large travel companies and there are very few independents remaining.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireCritic said:

@Gilly

Very true for the U.K. - that’s why I always true to go direct rather than 3rd party TA’s. I cannot fault my contact at RSS/Oceania who is always there for me when ever needed.

We also book directly with Regent UK, having experienced consistently first class service from day one.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

We also book directly with Regent UK, having experienced consistently first class service from day one.   

Curious.

Why do you have to use a local UK (or OZ or EU) travel agent?  Do you know why you could not call and book thru a USA agent? 

I have often done the reverse with other travel related reservations like hotels, cars, tours and even flights. The European agent have no trouble booking my non USA requests. lat time I was in OZ I booked a flight home from Perth to LA using an Oz agent, with out any issue.

J

Edited by JMARINER

7 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Why do you have to use a local UK (or OZ or EU) travel agent?  Do you know why you could not call and book thru a USA agent? 

We've tried.  We are UK citizens, living in England and do not have a US$ bank account.  The terms and conditions under which we book a cruise are completely different from those offered in the USA. For that reason alone, bookings have to be made with Regent UK, either through a travel agent or directly with the office in Southampton.  Yes, we can make other travel arrangements directly, but a Regent cruise and all the associated flights and transfers are classed and sold as a "package" and this has to be bought in the UK.

I'm no expert here and this is my understanding - @flossie009 please correct me if I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gilly said:

I'll just put my hand up here and say that the process is very different for non-Americans. ...

This is just a small clarification. I'll defer to folks from the U.K. about their situation.  But for Canadians the process is the same as for Americans.  In fact, although our principle residence is in Toronto our travel agent is in Texas.

6 hours ago, Gilly said:

We've tried.  We are UK citizens, living in England and do not have a US$ bank account.  The terms and conditions under which we book a cruise are completely different from those offered in the USA. For that reason alone, bookings have to be made with Regent UK, either through a travel agent or directly with the office in Southampton.  Yes, we can make other travel arrangements directly, but a Regent cruise and all the associated flights and transfers are classed and sold as a "package" and this has to be bought in the UK.

I'm no expert here and this is my understanding - @flossie009 please correct me if I'm mistaken.

If you “book onboard” on an Oceania cruise you can be quoted and pay your deposit in whichever of numerous currencies you want to use. I trust that their sister line, Regent, would be no different. 

And, though exchange rates would apply to any purchase anywhere when one pays in one currency a bill issued in another currency, international money conversions are an everyday occurrence worldwide (e.g., just today I will make a PayPal transaction for a purchase in Italy with $ to € conversion built in.

The problem with/for non-US/CAN TAs appears to be differences in industry regulations/protections etc. There have been various past threads on CC explaining these differences.

And even “in country” travel purchasers worldwide need to be vigilant since not all TAs are “created equal” when it comes to following the rules.

FWIW: If you can (and do) purchase cruise travel from a company based in the US, make sure that it is a “registered seller of travel” in the State of California (any TA that sells travel to Californians, regardless of their location, is required to register with the Secretary of State and abide by its rules/regulations). And you do not need to be a Californian to file a complaint with the CA Secretary of State office that manages TA issues. I think Florida has a similar requirement.

13 hours ago, JMARINER said:

5 hours ago, Gilly said:

We are not experts on this either, and have never tried to book a Regent cruise through a TA in the US. However, this is our understanding of some of the hurdles:

1. Regent(UK) Ts&Cs differ in many ways from those in the US - including payment terms, dates and penalties
  2. Pricing flight inclusive would vary considerably depending on the cruise itinerary
  3. Cruise pricing between the US & UK is not always consistent, even after deducting flight costs
  4. UK bookings are covered by UK Travel Regulations, which provide the consumer with recompense in the event of default by the travel operator (Regent UK) and/or its suppliers/subcontractors

In order to book a Regent cruise with a TA based in the US, I believe we would need a postal address in North America.

We use a UK based TA and are very happy with the service, and generous discounts, that they provide.

Not sure how things have panned out in the rest of the world but in the UK these difficult times have sorted out the good, reliable TAs from those with maybe more dubious business ethics.

Normally we try to book "on-board" as this provides us with the best mix of US booking flexibility with UK consumer rights. Unfortunately this has been an insurmountable challenge during the past year 🤨

13 hours ago, JMARINER said:

I have often done the reverse with other travel related reservations like hotels, cars, tours and even flights

We invariably book hotels & hire cars direct (not through a TA); paying by CC but preferably in the local currency.

We have never fully understood the peculiarities associated with booking cruises 🤔 

• Like 1