The Daily for Thursday Apr 29, 2021

richwmn

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We continued on with the tour for several more hours and I have a lot more photos but wanted to cut to the end where we went to the Wailing Wall (also known as the Western Wall).

Thank you for the great pics and the memories.

The Wailing Wall was phenomenal.  DH wanted to put a prayer in the crevice so did it.  When the rabbi asked his wife’s name he said Sara 😂 

What we found out after - much to DH’s chagrin, is that they vacuum out those crevices and wishes every night to make room for the ones the next day.  DH was crushed to say the least.  He had gone to the work put on a kippa / kippel / koppa and of course paid for the use of it (of course) and thought he was putting an everlasting wish in there.  LOL there would not have been room for his wish after centuries if they didn’t clean them 😉 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I have good news and bad news for you today... which do you want first?  Right, the good news is that the  biopsy of the bump on my nose came back benign, according to the doctor's office.  

That is really good news, Ann 😊  So glad to hear it 👍 

I’m sorry you had to cancel your August cruise, but I think you are wise.  It’s just too soon (unless a miracle happens and then you can always rebook it 😉) and who knows what the protocols will be.  But, I know the feeling of having to cancel when you have so looked forward to it. 😞 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

If we're lucky enough to return to Ashdod, I want to find someone to take us to Bethlehem and Jerusalem for a slower walk in the Old City

Or find an itinerary that takes you to Jerusalem and definitely go to Bethlehem.  Jerusalem is beautiful and Bethlehem is moving.  Even though it’s a “best guess”, it’s interesting to see the cave like structure as opposed to the stable we all hear about.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Or find an itinerary that takes you to Jerusalem and definitely go to Bethlehem.  Jerusalem is beautiful and Bethlehem is moving.  Even though it’s a “best guess”, it’s interesting to see the cave like structure as opposed to the stable we all hear about.

Thanks for the suggestion.  We'll look into it once things settle down and cruising resumes. We tried to get our driver to take us to Bethlehem, even though we'd have to get a non-Jewish guide, but he wouldn't.  The driver was nice, but did not want to have anything to do with the Palestinians.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  We'll look into it once things settle down and cruising resumes. We tried to get our driver to take us to Bethlehem, even though we'd have to get a non-Jewish guide, but he wouldn't.  The driver was nice, but did not want to have anything to do with the Palestinians.

Lenda

Depending on conditions in Israel, you may well have to do a HAL tour and while I don’t do many, our tour back then was quite good and the drive wasn’t that long.  MInd you, that was before I started to do private tours.  We were there in 1999 - just before the Millenium when it was relatively “safe” but we had a guard on the bus with serious weaponry and there were several checkpoints with guards with weaponry.

We were actually lucky to get to Bethlehem when we did.  A couple of weeks after we got home, the attacks started again.  Sad.

if you opt for a private tour, make sure you ask all the questions so you are not disappointed and also feel safe.  JMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

That is really good news, Ann 😊  So glad to hear it 👍 

I’m sorry you had to cancel your August cruise, but I think you are wise.  It’s just too soon (unless a miracle happens and then you can always rebook it 😉) and who knows what the protocols will be.  But, I know the feeling of having to cancel when you have so looked forward to it. 😞 

Thanks, Jacqui, and the others who commiserated with me.  That is our thought, too, just in case the cruise is postponed until the fall, we will then book it again - for the third time!  In the meantime we will just transfer all the FCCs, etc., over to the Viking Passage next July.   As difficult as it is to make the decision, I have never really felt I wanted to be in the Med in August!

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

The Wailing Wall was phenomenal.  DH wanted to put a prayer in the crevice so did it.  When the rabbi asked his wife’s name he said Sara 😂 

What we found out after - much to DH’s chagrin, is that they vacuum out those crevices and wishes every night to make room for the ones the next day.  DH was crushed to say the least.  He had gone to the work put on a kippa / kippel / koppa and of course paid for the use of it (of course) and thought he was putting an everlasting wish in there.  LOL there would not have been room for his wish after centuries if they didn’t clean them 😉 

A friend who grew up in Jerusalem tells of being taken to the Kotel every week by her parents. She could not understand AT ALL why everyone was so excited by and focused on some old wall. After she was old enough to read script Hebrew, she waited until her mother wasn't watching her, sneaked one of the bits of paper out, and read it. The prayer was so heartfelt, so moving, that from that moment on she never again wondered why the Wall inspired such devotion.

I've never been to Ashdod and at the moment I can't lay hands on any photos from Jerusalem. Historically, Jaffa, not Ashdod, was the port for Jerusalem. It is still a fishing and pleasure-boat port, but I don't think it can accommodate large ships.

https://www.namalyafo.co.il/אודות-הנמל/

(use the Chrome browser for an English translation)

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, kazu said:

Depending on conditions in Israel, you may well have to do a HAL tour and while I don’t do many, our tour back then was quite good and the drive wasn’t that long.  MInd you, that was before I started to do private tours.  We were there in 1999 - just before the Millenium when it was relatively “safe” but we had a guard on the bus with serious weaponry and there were several checkpoints with guards with weaponry.

We were actually lucky to get to Bethlehem when we did.  A couple of weeks after we got home, the attacks started again.  Sad.

if you opt for a private tour, make sure you ask all the questions so you are not disappointed and also feel safe.  JMO.

I guess we were very lucky in 2017.  We felt very safe and hired our first driver in Haifa on the recommendation of someone at the M&G.  We also had the same driver the first day in Ashdod.  We also felt safe with the driver the second day in Ashdod, and he was one of only a few allowed into the port area.  We would definitely try to hire him to take us to Bethlehem and Jerusalem if possible, depending on the political situation.

Lenda

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks, Jacqui, and the others who commiserated with me.  That is our thought, too, just in case the cruise is postponed until the fall, we will then book it again - for the third time!  In the meantime we will just transfer all the FCCs, etc., over to the Viking Passage next July.   As difficult as it is to make the decision, I have never really felt I wanted to be in the Med in August!

In 2019, we were in the Med in July and August, and it was crowded both months, but July was a lot more crowded.  We also try to be there in September and October, but it's not always possible.

Lenda

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

A friend who grew up in Jerusalem tells of being taken to the Kotel every week by her parents. She could not understand AT ALL why everyone was so excited by and focused on some old wall. After she was old enough to read script Hebrew, she waited until her mother wasn't watching her, sneaked one of the bits of paper out, and read it. The prayer was so heartfelt, so moving, that from that moment on she never again wondered why the Wall inspired such devotion.

I've never been to Ashdod and at the moment I can't lay hands on any photos from Jerusalem. Historically, Jaffa, not Ashdod, was the port for Jerusalem. It is still a fishing and pleasure-boat port, but I don't think it can accommodate large ships.

https://www.namalyafo.co.il/אודות-הנמל/

(use the Chrome browser for an English translation)

When we were in Jaffa in 2019, there were only small pleasure boats.  I did not see any place that could accommodate a cruise ship.  We enjoyed Jaffa because it was a small seaside town and was not crowded the day we were there.

Lenda

• Like 5

We have been twice to Israel, both times on Rotterdam.  We were docked in Ashdod in October, 2019 and spent a full day in Bethlehem and Jerusalem.  We have missed going to the Dead Sea both times.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

As difficult as it is to make the decision, I have never really felt I wanted to be in the Med in August!

I’m totally with you on that one.  It’s too hot and in August in some locations, places close.  Hot, crowded, no thanks.  We go in the spring or Fall.  Fewer crowds by far and while I don’t like “cold” it’s usually pretty decent weather. 😄 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kazu said:

When we arrived at the airport , we boarded a bus, only to wait two hours while some people looked for lost luggage. Since it was then to early to check into the hotel, we were taken to the wailing wall, known as the motel in Hebrew. I , of course needed a bathroom, and entered one only to find water all over the floor and a man dispensing pieces of toilet paper. When we returned to the kotel on a Friday night, we were blown away by the religious people dancing as they approached the wall to pray and hold Shabbat services. It was beautiful, and a sight  I won’t ever forget.

• Like 8

Very late to the party, as I was tree trimming, doing my part for the greenery!  

I am loving the photos of Israel, especially Masada.   The Dovekeepers is an excellent book about it. Our Holy land cruise was cancelled this year and hoping for next year. 

@Vict0riannoh Ann,  happy about the biopsy!   Think we are right behind you tomorrow cancelling.  I don’t see how it can work with the warnings we have,  hope we get to do an inaugural some day!  

some greenery photos from Japan two years ago today...

4C9EE875-AA87-439F-9233-3796225F7A54.jpeg

36C705F1-2AA1-4AE9-836A-932B32507429.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the daily reports, appreciate all the information and photos.

Am late today, we were delivering "Meals on Wheels " to housebound folk, then we had lunch down town.  Town was rather busy.

@Vict0riannsuch good news with the result of your biopsy.  think that you are wise to have cancelled the cruise.

Take care everyone.

• Like 6

Thank you, @erewhon, in many ways it’s a relief to have made the decision.  We do have a cruise booked for April to your part of the world, and we are really looking forward to that.  Just hoping that you will have us! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you, @erewhon, in many ways it’s a relief to have made the decision.  We do have a cruise booked for April to your part of the world, and we are really looking forward to that.  Just hoping that you will have us! 

Hopefully cruise ships will be welcome again by then!

On which ship are you booked?

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, superoma said:

I think autocorrect got in there because later in the post she uses kotel. I hate autocorrect 90% of the time.

I figured that it was autocorrect, but thought I should say something so that it didn't catch on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, erewhon said:

Hopefully cruise ships will be welcome again by then!

On which ship are you booked?

Oosterdam, leaving Auckland on March 31, going around the bottom of NZ, then Australia and back to BC!  😄  It will be lovely.

• Like 2