If NCL requires 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, why can't Royal do the same?

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

That's all well and good but.......the crew doesn't come from the USA. Have patience with the process world wide. As more people get vaccinated around the world things will open up more and more and the cruise lines will be able to staff their ships. 

But aren't  the cruise lines vaccinating their crew?  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

That still really doesn't address the issue here in the US with those of us who have been vaccinated being told we have to wear masks to protect those who haven't.  Most of the people in my family won't get the vaccine - some have had Covid and others not, but I'm through worrying about them or even trying to convince them they are misguided.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

I'm glad you brought this up. Interesting that Disney is taking a more restrictive approach, but I hypothesize that they are doing this because their demographic is so kid-focused. Because there are a larger percentage of passengers onboard who aren't vaccinated (thanks to kids), they are not able to avail of the most recent, more lax CDC guidelines for vaccinated people and what they can do outdoors. Then again, Disney is admitting that physical distancing is possible in outdoor spaces on the ship.

The UK cruises are following the UK NHS (national health service) since it's UK and not USA based cruise.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, easy1234 said:

While this is true, its not like most parents can just leave their kids at home and go on a cruise. So while the kids may not be big money makers, RCL and others make more money off a family of 4 than a empty room.

With reduced capacity RCI may actually get to sell another cabin to paying guests if those kids are not sailing for free or at discount.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, easy1234 said:

Maybe on RC or NCL, but think about other cruise lines such as Disney. Whats true for one cruise line isnt true for others.

Most of us here do not care what Disney decides to do.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mek said:

But aren't  the cruise lines vaccinating their crew?  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

That still really doesn't address the issue here in the US with those of us who have been vaccinated being told we have to wear masks to protect those who haven't.  Most of the people in my family won't get the vaccine - some have had Covid and others not, but I'm through worrying about them or even trying to convince them they are misguided.

Some ships are coming in to ports in Florida and Texas so the skeleton crews on board can get the jab, but it's not a mass vaccination in anticipation of the start of cruises type of thing......yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

I think this statement from a member of the COVID task force (Washington Post) says it all. 

“It’s really important to emphasize that we’re in an area where it’s not going to be guided by precise science. It’s going to be guided by science, common sense and politics,” said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota and an adviser to Biden’s coronavirus task force.

What is the time frame for common sense kick in?

1 hour ago, mek said:

Yep. At some point everyone’s gotta say “you are on your own”!  Tired of everybody trying to placate these people.  They don’t want to help anyone else. I don’t want to help them!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Yep. At some point everyone’s gotta say “you are on your own”!  Tired of everybody trying to placate these people.  They don’t want to help anyone else. I don’t want to help them!

Sad but true. I hate myself for perpetuating this OT discussion, but I guess I have the same problem everyone else does in the last 8 pages.. Found out today my sister in-law has Covid. Tried to book them a shot when I was arranging it for the rest of my extended family in times that it was a little more difficult to schedule, and she would have already been fully vaccinated and a few weeks past her 2nd shot. Instead she's a few days into Covid knocking her on her ass, with my brother who has COPD being exposed to it. I was hesitant about the shot too, as we're in a new realm, but I weighed the risks and ultimately decided it was the right thing to do to get back to both personal and work related travel. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, tcrandal said:

Sad but true. I hate myself for perpetuating this OT discussion, but I guess I have the same problem everyone else does in the last 8 pages.. Found out today my sister in-law has Covid. Tried to book them a shot when I was arranging it for the rest of my extended family in times that it was a little more difficult to schedule, and she would have already been fully vaccinated and a few weeks past her 2nd shot. Instead she's a few days into Covid knocking her on her ass, with my brother who has COPD being exposed to it. I was hesitant about the shot too, as we're in a new realm, but I weighed the risks and ultimately decided it was the right thing to do to get back to both personal and work related travel. 

Sorry about your sister-in-law.  Hope she gets well soon.  Glad you got yourself vaccinated.  Safe travels on your cruise(s) as soon as you can!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

So is your current director:

Walensky had been on the faculty of Harvard Medical School since 2001, first as an instructor, then as a professor.[7] Walensky was a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School from 2012-2020, and served as chief of the division of infectious diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital from 2017-2020. She served on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic and conducted research on vaccine delivery and strategies to reach underserved communities. Walensky has worked to improve HIV screening and care in South Africa, led health policy initiatives, and researched clinical trial design and evaluation in a variety of settings.[8]

Walensky was Chair of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council at the National Institutes of Health from 2014 to 2015 and has served as a member of the US Department of Health and Human Services Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents since 2011.[9] She serves on the board of directors of Mass General Brigham.[10] She has been co-director of the Medical Practice Evaluation Center at Massachusetts General Hospital since 2011.[9]

She's neither anymore because she's a bureaucrat now. Hence why what she was saying before she was in office is 180 degrees compared to what she has said since coming into office.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tcrandal said:

Im so sorry. I am immuno compromised and am very scared of covid. My prayers that your family heals quickly.

Sidney

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yogimax said:

Most nonsensical post of the day.  Hotels aren't even close to 100%.

"Orlando hotel occupancy hits 50%, but full recovery still years off, experts say"

In addition, I serve on the Board of Directors of one of the largest timeshares in Lake Buena Vista and occupancy isn't close to 50%.

(Sorry, for large print.  I copied the headline of the story and have no idea how to reduce the size).

Easy peasy. Little too small????

2 hours ago, SidneyHuff1950 said:

Im so sorry. I am immuno compromised and am very scared of covid. My prayers that your family heals quickly.

Sidney

Thank you very much. I didn't mean my comments towards those that cannot get the vaccine, and I also have a friend that is in a similar position. Like I mentioned, I weighed the risks of getting the shot, and that is definitely a personal decision. For you, it is a tough risk to take with such a new vaccine. My main frustration is those that actively campaign against getting the shot or wearing masks. I hope that you can find some peace and things get to the point where you don't need to worry about enjoying life. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tcrandal said:

Thank you very much. I didn't mean my comments towards those that cannot get the vaccine, and I also have a friend that is in a similar position. Like I mentioned, I weighed the risks of getting the shot, and that is definitely a personal decision. For you, it is a tough risk to take with such a new vaccine. My main frustration is those that actively campaign against getting the shot or wearing masks. I hope that you can find some peace and things get to the point where you don't need to worry about enjoying life. 

Why would people not want to wear masks? My mask makes it hard for me to breathe but getting covid would probably kill me.

Where in upstate new york are you? I am in Medford in Long Island

Sidney

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SidneyHuff1950 said:

Why would people not want to wear masks? My mask makes it hard for me to breathe but getting covid would probably kill me.

Where in upstate new york are you? I am in Medford in Long Island

Sidney

I'm in the "other" upstate NY... Syracuse area..

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

but it's not a mass vaccination in anticipation of the start of cruises type of thing......yet

RCG may make it look so......

Captain Angel Oviol recieves his COVID-19 vaccine

Royal Caribbean International's crew vaccination program is full swing thanks to PortMiami, as COVID-19 vaccinations continued on Tuesday.

Crew from the Navigator and Freedom of the Seas received COVID-19 vaccines this morning in a terminal building at the port. This included Navigator Captain Angel Oviol (pictured above). 

This effort follows the pop-up vaccination clinic hosted last week serving PortMiami employees and all members of the community.

Approximately 900 crew members will be getting vaccinated this week, according to a port statement.

Royal Caribbean Crew Vaccination in Full Swing - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, tcrandal said:

Thank you.

Sidney

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Read a few threads about mask wearing.

He is new

Maybe he thinks that people dont wear masks he wont be inviting to his house any time soon

I got to say im a little of jealous of his stache.

When mine goes grey i hope it looks that good😲😜🤣

Edited by jonbgd
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jonbgd said:

He is new

Maybe he thinks that people dont wear masks he wont be inviting to his house any time soon

I got to say im a little of jealous of his stache.

When mine goes grey i hope it looks that good😲😜🤣

Thank you, I am blessed with good genes, though my girlfriend doesnt like it and told me to shave it.

Sidney