If NCL requires 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, why can't Royal do the same?

13 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

You seem to misunderstand. The CDC guidelines for vaccinated people arent to mask around crowds when social distancing is not possible, but to mask around crowds.

But there was no scientific reason for the vaccinated to mask around crowds. That was merely a courtesy to those who don't want to get vaccinated, which is ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stallion said:

We actually are getting close to the numbers Israel had when their covid numbers went almost to nil-the current declining numbers suggest that we could be  seeing the initial stages of herd immunity-along with the unknown percentage of persons with natural immunity 

AT LEAST ONE SHOT:

All: 44.4%

Over 18: 56.3%

Over 65: 82.8%

FULLY VACCINATED:

All: 31.5%

Over 18: 40.2%

Over 65: 69.7%

(as of yesterday)

For comparison Israel's numbers are 59.7% with one dose and 55.9% fully vaccinated-which leads the world

See comparison to Israel numbers:

"The best news for Americans: We’re not too far from getting 60 percent of the country vaccinated. Already, more than 40 percent of the population has gotten at least one dose, and more than 30 percent are fully vaccinated, based on federal data. At current vaccination rates, the US could hit 60 percent partial vaccination as soon as this month or June and 60 percent full vaccination in June or July — all within three months. Already, Covid-19 cases in the US have dropped by around 27 percent in the last two weeks."

https://www.vox.com/22400322/vaccines-herd-immunity-coronavirus-israel

Unfortunately, there are large pockets and states that are lagging behind. There are a few counties in Florida that are still in the teens, but Sumter is at 58%.  It's hard to get to herd immunity with that much variation between counties, since the areas with low vaccination rates can serve as incubation pockets.

But I am hopeful for cruising to return.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I hear you. My thinking is that the first people to get vaccinated were the people who needed it the most, now they can be patient and wait for the rest. They should just be happy that they're protected......everything else will fall into place eventually. Patience. 

B-b-but, my double points!!!!! Which was brilliant marketing by the way.......

I really am willing to be patient with people who haven't been vaccinated because they don't have access to the vaccine, but we are getting very close in the US where that isn't the case.  I was in Kroger this morning and they announced that anyone wanting the shot could just walk up and get it.

I will get to the point where I just can't be concerned about folks who, for whatever reason, refuse to be vaccinated.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, mek said:

I really am willing to be patient with people who haven't been vaccinated because they don't have access to the vaccine, but we are getting very close in the US where that isn't the case.  I was in Kroger this morning and they announced that anyone wanting the shot could just walk up and get it.

I will get to the point where I just can't be concerned about folks who, for whatever reason, refuse to be vaccinated.

That's all well and good but.......the crew doesn't come from the USA. Have patience with the process world wide. As more people get vaccinated around the world things will open up more and more and the cruise lines will be able to staff their ships. 

1 hour ago, easy1234 said:

The CDC is full of experts who have dedicated their lives to infectious diseases! They are the premiere experts in the field and we should trust and listen to the experts! Make sure to get your vaccine but you still need to wear that mask, trust science!

I think this statement from a member of the COVID task force (Washington Post) says it all. 

“It’s really important to emphasize that we’re in an area where it’s not going to be guided by precise science. It’s going to be guided by science, common sense and politics,” said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota and an adviser to Biden’s coronavirus task force.

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

That's all well and good but.......the crew doesn't come from the USA. Have patience with the process world wide. As more people get vaccinated around the world things will open up more and more and the cruise lines will be able to staff their ships. 

USA ports/cities are vaccinating cruise ship crews currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, easy1234 said:

I work for the CDC, that is why I tell everyone to trust and follow science and listen to the experts.

It is probably a federal offence to impersonate a CDC employee you know.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

It never ceases to amaze me at how divisive this topic is. Even if you don't like wearing a mask, don't want to be vaccinated, why does it bother you so much that others do, and if you don't there should be restrictions in place to protect other people. Nothing is the magic bullet, but as shown from our flu rate this past year, masks are effective to help cut down on spreading airborne viruses. If it saves a handful of people it's worth it in my eyes, and the anger I see induced at the mention of restrictions and how rights are being taken away is sickening. India thought they were free and clear too, and then they relaxed and didn't heed the warning signs. This isn't a game folks, this isn't a government conspiracy, and sadly governments are stepping in to protect people from themselves because there isn't enough common sense to take precautions just in case they help people, even to cut the infections and deaths by a small number. 

I tried to stay out of these topics, I just have such a loss of words at how people have devolved. Think in the big picture beyond yourself a bit.. Nobody tolerates anything outside of their own viewpoint anymore. Wear a mask, don't wear a mask, I don't care, but don't complain when you might be restricted over doing certain activities if you choose your path that differs from what is decided for the greater good. 

Edited by tcrandal
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Is he adding the parents of those kids to that count? Or does he assume they will be left at home or sent to summer camp or whatever you americans do? Or does he count include the parents who won't go if their kids can't? Because that will be a decent number.

Personally I have been on more cruises without my kids since they were born than with them. Many times they stayed with the grandparents in Florida who spoiled them rotten.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I don’t want to offend anyone but maybe it’s a good idea to leave the kids home for awhile....I love my kids and grandkids but being quarantined with them in a small room sounds like a nightmare.  Just saying. I would not encourage any of mine to do it for a good while yet.

Since it’s not a huge part of the off season travel just get cruises restarted over 18 with fully vaccinated at least for a few weeks/ months and see how it goes.  Then add families. They have waited this long.

Again please don’t yell at me. 

You bring up a good point. These young parents have been quarantined at home with the kids for a year trying to balance their career while homeschooling them. I know if it were me I would want a vacation with just me and the wife alone at this point.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

But this person isnt an expert. Its important to listen to the experts at the CDC. They have spent their entire lives becoming experts on covid, and all of their decisions are based on the latest science and data.

The only people on earth who have spent their entire lives becoming experts on covid are infants that were born after January 2020. Everyone else is merely transferring their level of knowledge of other infectious diseases to covid in the hope that something that worked in the past will work in the present. I would be willing to bet that Osterholm (or one of his peers) taught some of your "experts".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stallion said:

more like 2-3 months especially in certain parts of the country

Given that it has been said repeatedly that the magic number for vaccinated adults is about 75%, we are way off that target and medical professionals are already predicting we are not going to achieve that. Further they are saying herd immunity may not be achievable by this Fall as predicted, if not for a long time thereafter.   Vaccine hesitancy has taken over and the drop off in vaccine dose uptake is quickly trending downward.  Certain areas of the country may never achieve herd immunity. Sad. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Yeah, for the skeleton crews that were already on those ships which is great. 

Nothing the cruise ships, port, port cities or states do for the cruise line vaccinations will ever be enough.  Everything is always something.  Geeze.  At the same time, we're being told today to "listen to the CCD."  

2 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Nothing the cruise ships, port, port cities or states do for the cruise line vaccinations will ever be enough.  Everything is always something.  Geeze.  At the same time, we're being told today to "listen to the CCD."  

Patience. Have patience. 

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Most nonsensical post of the day.  Hotels aren't even close to 100%.

"Orlando hotel occupancy hits 50%, but full recovery still years off, experts say"

In addition, I serve on the Board of Directors of one of the largest timeshares in Lake Buena Vista and occupancy isn't close to 50%.

(Sorry, for large print.  I copied the headline of the story and have no idea how to reduce the size).

Orlando isn't the entire state.  The West Coast has been packed since last July.  My sister is an executive for Publix in Sarasota and her bonus was so large, it paid off her mortgage.  

These people are here and it's packed.

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Patience. Have patience. 

I do. 

Also, I salute the cruise lines, ports, cities and states in the vaccination of crew efforts.

Great progress.  

Some can wait and excuse it as patience.

Others take action and it is called vaccination.

Again, I salute the cruise lines, ports, cities and states in the vaccination of crew efforts.

16 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Given that it has been said repeatedly that the magic number for vaccinated adults is about 75%, we are way off that target and medical professionals are already predicting we are not going to achieve that. Further they are saying herd immunity may not be achievable by this Fall as predicted, if not for a long time thereafter.   Vaccine hesitancy has taken over and the drop off in vaccine dose uptake is quickly trending downward.  Certain areas of the country may never achieve herd immunity. Sad. 

Actually the President today made a speech stating that the goal is for 70% to have at least 1 dose by July 4th. Also all the CDC predictions I've read focus on vaccinations. Its at least an area of  scientific inquiry that there is natural immunity from as many as 20%-30% of the population. The studies concerning Israel suggest they may have reached herd immunity at below 60% vaccinations. We'll see. Many states are currently predicted to hit at least the lower projection of herd immunity much earlier than this Fall. see 3rd graph on link which shows about 18-20 states hitting at least 70% fully vaccinated by the end of August

https://www.npr.org/960901166

Edited by Stallion

3 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

Who is the CCD? Do they follow science like the CDC?

No need to throw a jab like that. Also, still wondering how you're concluding that large pool decks on Oasis-class ships on limited-capacity sailings are outdoor venues where social distancing is not possible. You linked NCL's Sail Safe protocols, but it's not clear how you're drawing your conclusions from that source alone.

7 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

This person is a professor, not a practitioner.

So is your current director:

Walensky had been on the faculty of Harvard Medical School since 2001, first as an instructor, then as a professor.[7] Walensky was a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School from 2012-2020, and served as chief of the division of infectious diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital from 2017-2020. She served on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic and conducted research on vaccine delivery and strategies to reach underserved communities. Walensky has worked to improve HIV screening and care in South Africa, led health policy initiatives, and researched clinical trial design and evaluation in a variety of settings.[8]

Walensky was Chair of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council at the National Institutes of Health from 2014 to 2015 and has served as a member of the US Department of Health and Human Services Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents since 2011.[9] She serves on the board of directors of Mass General Brigham.[10] She has been co-director of the Medical Practice Evaluation Center at Massachusetts General Hospital since 2011.[9]

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

Are they experts like the CDC?

IMO, based upon performance, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention failed first at Prevention and then Disease Control.  It once was lamented that experts are those that learn more and more about less and less and, eventually, know everything there to know about nothing.  In that framework, I guess they are experts.   😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Though most US pandemics usually burn out on own long before we have a Vaccine. With the Vaccine, high Case numbers and those with natural immunity were on our way. 

• Like 1