The Daily for Wednesday May 05, 2021

richwmn

Good morning.  This morning it was 51F and sunny.  This afternoon will be about 81F.

Never rode a bike to school.  Since there were no school buses for the in town kids, the parents usually carpooled until we got our driver’s licenses.  Admire cartoonists who can can tell a story in a single panel.  

HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!  I think we’ll go to our favorite Mexican food restaurant today.  It’s been years since I had a screwdriver.  I always thought it was a good way to get my vitamin C.😜

@Mr. Boston Congratulations on getting your second shot.

@garlictown Good to see your post.  Take it easy while recovering.

By my calculations, we’ve sailed across the equator 16 times.  Since I’m off to the dentist in a few minutes, I’ll look for pictures later.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I've looked back at past cruises and have a list of some that included crossing the equator.  It appears to me that's 8 times.

2012  Star Princess - crossed once Rio to San Francisco

2013  Diamond Princess - crossed once Singapore to Sydney

2014  Golden Princess - crossed twice L.A. to L.A.

2015  Ruby Princess - crossed twice Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.

2017  Maasdam - crossed twice San Diego to San Diego

Here's the Maasdam Pollywog crew members getting ready to be "slimed".enhance

Ready for their dunkingenhance

And here's the fish they had to kiss.  Ewww!enhance

• Like 28

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was kind of hoping today's port would be Huatulco.  On May 5, 2017 the Crystal Symphony docked there on the way from San Diego to the Panama Canal.  It happened that the same day the Amsterdam stopped Northbound returning to San Diego from the World Cruise.  We arrived in the morning, Amsterdam was due at 1PM.  As the time approached I went out on deck to watch for her arrival.

approaching.jpg

Crystal allows passengers to bring guests on board with prior arrangements and I was ready.  As the ship approached my guest was at the hatch calling out distances to the dock to the bridge and spotting her positioning.

myguest.jpg

I had arranged to meet @Copper10-8 at 2 and we took a quick walk through of the Symphony before  heading upstairs to the Trident Grill, Crystal's equivalent of Dive-In.   While our sandwiches were being cooked we relaxed with a beverage:

lunch.jpg

After lunch @Copper10-8 took me across the dock for a tour of the Amsterdam.  He has shown photos of the crew bar, "The Leaky Azipod" and there was also a ship's bell in the bar:

amsbell.jpg

We toured other areas including the laundry, stores area, and recycling area before going up to the bridge:

amsbridge.jpg

I'll close with a view of the two ships from the bridge wing:

bridgeview.jpg

Roy

It's great to see both of you enjoying your time together touring the ships, and having a great burger I bet.  Thank you for the unique photos!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Late to the party today.  Had a stand-by generator installed and no power until now.  With the Hurricane shutters we had installed last fall we are ready for storm season.  No biking anywhere nowadays.  Love to read the comics in the paper everyday.  And Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone.  Never crossed the equator but enjoy seeing photo's that people post.  Going to our favorite Mexican rest. tonight, will enjoy Fajita's and Margaritas. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and continue to wear your mask.

Screwdriver:

Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz (1 part) Vodka, 3 1/2 oz (2 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Mix in a highball glass with ice. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 10.12.48 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've looked back at past cruises and have a list of some that included crossing the equator.  It appears to me that's 8 times.

2012  Star Princess - crossed once Rio to San Francisco

2013  Diamond Princess - crossed once Singapore to Sydney

2014  Golden Princess - crossed twice L.A. to L.A.

2015  Ruby Princess - crossed twice Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.

2017  Maasdam - crossed twice San Diego to San Diego

Here's the Maasdam Pollywog crew members getting ready to be "slimed".enhance

Ready for their dunkingenhance

And here's the fish they had to kiss.  Ewww!enhance

We were also on the Ruby Princess in 2015 from FLL to LA.  That was a great cruise.  Since we were in Quartzsite then, we took the Statendam from San Diego to FLL.

Lenda

• Like 7

Happy Cinco, all!

We have made two journeys that included an equator crossing, but those were by air before getting to a ship.  Optimistically, we will cross the equator on the Noordam in December!

Best to all, especially for those with health concerns.  It’s good to “live” in a community of so many friendly and caring people.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were also on the Ruby Princess in 2015 from FLL to LA.  That was a great cruise.  Since we were in Quartzsite then, we took the Statendam from San Diego to FLL.

Lenda

That's awesome!  Too bad we didn't know each other.  You may even be in one of my photos.  Who knows?

On that cruise DH and I renewed our vows along with a couple of hundred other people on Feb. 14 in the Atrium.  The Captain officiated of course.

I used to spend all my spare time in Crooner's sitting on the sofa (next to the piano most times), cross stitching.  The bar would fill up with people on sea days, so I may have even seen you there. enhance

I was working on my DIL's Christmas stocking in this photo.

This was the same day the 80 mph wind gust made the ship list to starboard, and the liquor bottles fell off the bar crashing to the floor.  The bartender was in the back room and hadn't positioned them in their locked down positions.  What a day!

That cruise got into Stanley in the Falklands so we had a lucky trip all in all.

• Like 19

Good morning, and thank you to Rich, Roy, and all who post.  Happy Cinco de Mayo!  We have crossed the equator many times, the most recent time was 2019 on Prinsendam during the Grand South America cruise.  The ceremonies are always fun.

Prisoners coming before the king and queen

P1070623.thumb.JPG.a7b374d0fdff6230e6c1bf9e1bd64fa9.JPG

and pleading their case

P1070632.thumb.JPG.a24a2e1197399f830ff70f3da75ad8e7.JPG

Thumbs down!

IMG_9283.thumb.JPG.98e85f70b897b07148143f896421eac5.JPG

Sliming

P1070646.thumb.JPG.b2be74c1f7247658b292e0677f858961.JPG

The fishP1070619.thumb.JPG.91bda46b56edc0ae5becad92f07c006f.JPG

Kissing the fish...

IMG_9299.thumb.JPG.7a700f14d3bd6b3d7d805e378ecf06e9.JPG

Aftermath in the pool!

P1070665.thumb.JPG.9b16afb2780dabb4e23a4da4c87ccd75.JPG

• Like 27

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

There have been comments in the past that the meal didn't fit the day so this morning I tried to make that happen. I found this:

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/CINCO-DE-MAYO-PLATO-FAJITA-2336407

CINCO DE MAYO PLATO FAJITA

Oh, wow, this one has shrimp!   I was going to add a chicken variation as well, but I think that could easily be substituted in any of these.  That looks good enough to eat right now.  I'm hungry.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

All this Mexican food looks soooooo good. I may need to celebrate and go out this evening.

Day is sunny and warm and it is supposed to be that way into early next week. That is good since the painters start on the condos tomorrow - I need finish clearing my balconies this afternoon. Windows are installed and one of the patio doors. The other will arrive sometime. When the installer comes back he will need to make a small repair at the top of the other door.... no big thing but I want it to look right.

Keep well everyone. We have got to be ready to "hit the ships" when the time comes.

Susan

• Like 15

Crossing the equator the last couple of times I have taken a picture of the location - now I have an app on my phone, but in the past I took the photo of the ship's board, which shows latitude and longitude.  

IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.f165990d2290305f44f837b5c929a940.JPG

IMG_9306.thumb.PNG.189e439ba6bdb853f51552defd5d3ad0.PNG

• Like 14

Thanks Rich and all. Woke to discover smoke everywhere. I guess I chose to come home just in time for the forest service to do a prescribed burn of 4000 acres about six miles away. Guess I won’t be hanging my laundry on the clothesline today. Less work for me but sheets are so nice right off the line. Oh well. Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 11

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Good days. I never biked to school. I lived a few blocks from my elementary school and walked. No school buses for high school as my town was slightly less than 1 sq mile big, so walked there too.

I like fajitas but not sure what's for dinner.

I've crossed the equator in a plane to get to a cruise but I don't think ever on a cruise ship. Cool to see pictures of what ships do when that occurs.

It's rainy and cool here today. I'll stay inside and work on ebay stuff.

@garlictown Good that surgery is done. Just rest and recover.

@lindaler I'm glad you made it safely home. Too bad on the smoke.

Prayers to the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

PA is supposed to open up Memorial Day, but will keep the mask mandate. Hopefully numbers will stay low. Be safe and wear your mask!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday and Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Also Happy 4th Birthday to Blue!

CE509B25-F5C4-42D0-AEF8-22FFA1407D1D.thumb.jpeg.834d8ffd0a84dbd6df05b8753e3401c8.jpeg

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy.  All the days are good today, although I never rode a bike to school, only walked or drove. 

@garlictown  So good to hear you are doing well after your surgery. Heal fast!!

@NextOne I’m so happy your DH is doing so well after surgery!  I hope he gets home soon. 

@StLouisCruisers Good to hear your DS did so well yesterday with her scan!  

I think I might make fish tacos 🌮 today for Cinco de Mayo. I’ve never been a fan of fajitas, probably because they are served with flour tortillas and I prefer corn tortillas. Fish tacos are easy too, I just oven bake the fish after sprinkling on taco seasoning. 

I’ve been working on my Mother’s Day menu. We are having the family over and it will be the first time in so long, so excited!  I’m doing a brunch with Honey Baked Ham because I didn’t get one for Easter.  I’m adding some other brunch stuff too. 

Have a great day everyone and here are some tulips from TJ’s. Don’t they just brighten your day!?!

DADB879C-4C6C-4D8B-BA6A-5D0CBA574383.thumb.jpeg.aa0f2acce659efd9add05b5733befb47.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That's awesome!  Too bad we didn't know each other.  You may even be in one of my photos.  Who knows?

On that cruise DH and I renewed our vows along with a couple of hundred other people on Feb. 14 in the Atrium.  The Captain officiated of course.

I used to spend all my spare time in Crooner's sitting on the sofa (next to the piano most times), cross stitching.  The bar would fill up with people on sea days, so I may have even seen you there. enhance

I was working on my DIL's Christmas stocking in this photo.

This was the same day the 80 mph wind gust made the ship list to starboard, and the liquor bottles fell off the bar crashing to the floor.  The bartender was in the back room and hadn't positioned them in their locked down positions.  What a day!

That cruise got into Stanley in the Falklands so we had a lucky trip all in all.

Wish we had met back then.  We may even have talked at one of the M&Gs.  I spent some free time in Crooners, but usually I was in Skywalker's or Adagio reading when I was not playing trivia or doing something else.  We had an aft balcony where I expected to spend a lot of sea days, but the noise from the propellers and wake was so loud, 15 minutes was about all we could take at one time.  If the ship was going below 15 kph, it wasn't to bad out there.

We both celebrated our birthdays on the cruise.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 7

Happy Cinco de Mayo, everyone .  Thank you to all who contribute to this thread…what a great group of people.

We have crossed the Equator many times but only five by ship –

March, 2013, on Star Princess (LA-Papeete-LA) - 2 crossings

December, 2013, on Golden Princess (LA to Rio)

January, 2014, on Pacific Princess (Manaus to Fort Lauderdale)

September, 2018, on Maasdam (Fort Lauderdale to Papeete).  

Strangely I cannot find one picture from the two middle crossings, but here are some from the first (Star Princess) and the most recent (Maasdam).

Star Princess - ready to go!

IMG_0063.thumb.jpg.7e26bb1d73b5b9ab5f7895c281200483.jpg

King Neptune & his Queen

DSC04529.thumb.jpg.f836c61bbb1c746e145280d461e6d77a.jpg

The "surgeons"

DSC04534.thumb.jpg.90c2003fa15a2fceab09d825e16ef4f6.jpg

The handmaidens

DSC04536.thumb.jpg.b832f09ca424ff937879b20c48d7bef1.jpg

Some slime

DSC04550.thumb.jpg.9d8f5fa3fde7b71cca665dd26ab2be3d.jpg

The "operation"

DSC04551.thumb.jpg.6d15ae2b27100d95eadfb06b7cfe5b7c.jpg

Ewwww

DSC04553.thumb.jpg.2627bb7744bf293bb63754a5d377174b.jpg

Another ewwww

DSC04554.thumb.jpg.db131b99e143e8bfedfa5983cc684feb.jpg

Ah, a successful delivery!

DSC04555.thumb.jpg.db06ec828d5123f610eaeeb25eafee41.jpg

Now from Maasdam

Ready to go

DSCF3187.thumb.jpg.44c760b2da55816172a0680dddb94b44.jpg

The fish

DSCF3186.thumb.jpg.a469b25de541efd29252231f1ea31149.jpg

King Neptune and his Queen arrive

DSCF3191.thumb.jpg.265fa78ca9f871e64da455902b2c9ff7.jpg

Oh, the poor Pollywogs 

DSCF3193.thumb.jpg.87edb7f33fb66824a395034cc8f2cb7d.jpg

Slime central

DSCF3195.thumb.jpg.70d3a081f7339bf1079803871c4f1835.jpg

Time to wash it all off

DSCF3196.thumb.jpg.eee2c919d958e5b9e05d250c773efdda.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Wish we had met back then.  We may even have talked at one of the M&Gs.  I spent some free time in Crooners, but usually I was in Skywalker's or Adagio reading when I was not playing trivia or doing something else.  We had an aft balcony where I expected to spend a lot of sea days, but the noise from the propellers and wake was so loud, 15 minutes was about all we could take at one time.  If the ship was going below 15 kph, it wasn't to bad out there.

We both celebrated our birthdays on the cruise.

Lenda

Did you?  That sounds like fun.  Our birthdays are April and August so that's hard to do in our household!

This was the last photo I took on that trip - two days before our arrival in Los Angeles.  Sort of looks like orcas to me.enhance

• Like 13

Keep your fingers crossed,  🤞 hopefully I stopped the dental jinx.  After 18 months without a dental visit, the hygienist did not find any problems, and she didn't have too much cleaning to do.  That was a relief as I am not fond of someone rooting around in my mouth.

Besides sailing across the equator at least 16 times by ship; we have crossed it by plane six times for DH and four times for me.

All of my pictures are from three Princess cruises, including the 2015 Ruby Princess @StLouisCruisers was also on.  My pictures from that cruise showed a zoo, with so many crowded around the pool.  The best pictures I found were from our 2007 Pacific Princess Hawaii to Tahiti to Hawaii cruise.

King Neptune and his Queen.  I don't remember who was King Neptune, but his Queen was the assistant cruise director, Frankie.  Frankie also Neptune's Queen on our 2009 Tahitian Princess cruise.

IMG_1620.thumb.JPG.646f7499e2052d855656e5ecaa3d3a3e.JPG

IMG_1622.thumb.JPG.2fbcd64f728cd2b749dd802748886dba.JPG

The Polliwogs meeting their fate after a thumbs down by the court.

IMG_1631.thumb.JPG.d9f6f6314c2ba01fd0e8889849d37257.JPG

IMG_1639.thumb.JPG.63f8e3c8aad47c4b2179e807cb44e115.JPG

IMG_1640.thumb.JPG.2137feca4ba53dccef2ff6bc32af1e71.JPG

IMG_1645.thumb.JPG.d56359e92320b8a9d6640a9c52137ad2.JPG

IMG_1646.thumb.JPG.7b518147f00c4626df8a601f0071692e.JPG

I always felt sorry for the crew who had the job of cleaning up all that mess.

In 2001 on the Ryndam, we did a tour to Quito and the Equator Monument.  To quote an article from Global Goose, "The location of the original equator was pinpointed by Charles-Marie de La Condamie on an expedition in 1736. However, this was well before the invention of accurate GPS systems and he was off by about 200 metres. Pretty close for the 1700s, but not the exact middle of the earth."

It was in 2000 that the accuracy of GPS was increase for the general public.  Being a techy, DH had his GPS with him and noticed the discrepancy.  He pointed it out to our guide, who did not know the monument wasn't on the equator.  Since then, as GPS technology advanced over the last two decades, 

two different sites have been marked as the true equator.  As it is rather complicated to explain, here is a link to an article in the Smithsonian Magazine:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/much-ado-about-nothing-at-the-equator-8514125/

As the article says, "what is built is built"; so here are two screenshots from DH's video of our 2001 visit to the equator.

468843291_Screenshot(22).thumb.png.a62fbb00f5c8d44273ed17fd749ef012.png

830479184_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.00fa4e5483a5f5859e02d7dc744a7816.png

Lenda

• Like 17

Such a fun trio of days.  I am so happy for several pieces of positive health news among Dailyites.  Of course prayers for all on care list.

I have very happy memories of Cinco de Mayo while living in New Mexico right adjacent to Mesilla, NM.  That is an old Mexican town with an interesting history.  Typical plaza in the town center and several wonderful Mexican restaurants.

Spring is trying to get established.  Finally the lilacs are starting to bloom.  Just hope weather stays warm so I can get the plants for my porch.

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Did you?  That sounds like fun.  Our birthdays are April and August so that's hard to do in our household!

This was the last photo I took on that trip - two days before our arrival in Los Angeles.  Sort of looks like orcas to me.enhance

They do look like orcas.  The white patches on the lower right image are a give away.

Our birthdays are a week apart in March.  Usually, the timing is we embark or disembark between our birthdays.

Lenda

• Like 9

Good morning, or  afternoon, all! Happy Cinco de Mayo. I’m making tortillas again, with epizote, chilli, and smoked paprika in the masa. We’re having a good lunch before DH goes in for his root canal this afternoon. So I’ll keep it brief.
I’ve crossed the equator a number of times, and enjoyed watching a variety of King Neptune ceremonies. No Riesling pictures today, just Happy Wednesday from our BHB’s!

66327628-E6BE-4FDB-9BFA-85C11F0DCBBD.thumb.jpeg.cb90d394fadf2a760df98c3ecc8ea238.jpeg

• Like 14

Thank you for another interesting Daily, Rich , Roy , the recipe and the drink ladies and also for the fun pictures of the King Neptune ceremony for the rookies . 

IMG_4501.thumb.JPG.a7297b916cbd15ab70dc2a84e815aaf3.JPG

We have also had the pleasure of crossing the Equator I believe 3 times once on the Zaandam and a couple times on different cruises on the Volendam . Besides going to witness the King Neptune ceremony and rulings I also did my own experiments in the bathrooom on board ship to see if my Physics teacher was correct , filled my sink and the tub ............

So I checked out if the Coriolis Effect was working in my sink and also the toilet and YES this was the result of my experiments of the before and after the crossing :

The Coriolis force is caused by the earth's rotation. It is responsible for air being pulled to the right (counterclockwise) in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left (clockwise) in the Southern Hemisphere. The Coriolis Effect is the observed curved path of moving objects relative to the surface of the Earth.

Of coarse like any other Science and Physics laws there are a lot of naysayers , I have been told there are still people around  believing that the earth is flat  but we have not fallen off yet .............. 

Have a great day everybody and for the people on the care list our thoughts are with you and hope that everything will get back soon to normal .

Take Care and Stay Safe 

Tony 😀

• Like 17